Skip to content

What Setting Would You Like to See For a New D&D Game?

Comments

• kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    I voted "Other" because there are so many great locales in FR in which to set a game (which btw is yet another reason why I don't want another Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale). Waterdeep or Evermeet would be good, but what about Cormyr, or the Dalelands? I really love the lands in the west - Aglarond, Thesk, Narfell, Damara; or the south - Turmish, Akanul, Chessenta, Erlkazar, the Border Kingdoms. All awesome.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited March 2016
    Literally any part of the Forgotten Realms we didn't get to see yet except for Mulhorand, because Mulhorand has the dumbest concept in the history of fantasy settings.

PS: Bonus points for places that aren't based on medieval Europe in looks and/ or folklore.

PPS: I'd also like to see more about Dragonlance because I don't know jacksh** about that setting and that bugs me.
  • IrennanIrennan Member Posts: 54
    edited March 2016

Always been a big fan of the Underdark and the Drow. Would be fun to see a game where you're not a "hero" in the classic sense but actually an ambitious Drow clawing your way up the ladder and stepping on everyone's toes and other body parts (attached or not). Give the option to play "good" (well, less evil anyway), get into some Lolth vs. Eilistraee stuff etc. on the side. Same old. Just no Drizzt 2.0 please - you're Drow, and you like it.

Other than that, tons of FR areas that could be cool. Waterdeep definitely is interesting, as is Calimport (to serve as centerpieces much like Baldur's Gate/Athkatla do in BG1/2). Or it could be more IWD-style with smaller towns in some interesting part of the world (is Chult still there?).

Alternatively, you could go full-on off the rails with Nine Hells and the likes, do some truly next level stuff. As long as it's not TOO out there (Far Realm is probably too much).

Reminds me of NWN: Hordes of the Underdark. I loved that game. It has most of what you list: Underdark, Lolth vs Eilistraee (with drow that are proud of being drow, even if non-evil), a bit of Waterdeep, Undermountain, Nine Hells. It's a hell of a trip :wink:
  • IrennanIrennan Member Posts: 54
    kanisatha said:

I voted "Other" because there are so many great locales in FR in which to set a game (which btw is yet another reason why I don't want another Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale). Waterdeep or Evermeet would be good, but what about Cormyr, or the Dalelands? I really love the lands in the west - Aglarond, Thesk, Narfell, Damara; or the south - Turmish, Akanul, Chessenta, Erlkazar, the Border Kingdoms. All awesome.

So much this. FR is one of the biggest and most developed worlds out there (if not *the* biggest), and yet we only ever see so little of it. They could tap into Ed Greenwood's mind and craft one of the most immersive and vast RPGs ever.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    I'm with Trent on this: Waterdeep.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Anywhere other than the Forgotten Realms, so that the developers don't have go crawling on hands and knees to get WotC's permission for everything.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2016
    Chronologically it would be like 120 years after the events of BG1 and 2 (based on where the books seem to be at the moment time wise). But I think a new game featuring Baldur's Gate could be a safe but effective launching point for other games in the D&D franchise.

Edit: To be clear for anyone who reads this who is unfamiliar with the forums I don't have any say in these decisions. I'm just QA :)
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

Literally any part of the Forgotten Realms we didn't get to see yet except for Mulhorand, because Mulhorand has the dumbest concept in the history of fantasy settings.

But, but! The werecrocodiles of Sebek are soo cute! :'(
  • Camus34Camus34 Member Posts: 210
    elminster said:

Chronologically it would be like 120 years after the events of BG1 and 2 (based on where the books seem to be at the moment time wise). But I think a new game featuring Baldur's Gate could be a safe but effective launching point for other games in the D&D franchise.

Edit: To be clear for anyone who reads this who is unfamiliar with the forums I don't have any say in these decisions. I'm just QA :)

If I was making another Baldur's Gate, I would most certainly place it in 1479 DR, because said date brings a lot of nuance to the city. The city has become much larger, and is the most powerful city in Faerun. It is relatively stable, however there is the threat of Civil War. Furthermore, the 1479 DR date means that there is more room for new characters (human characters from the original games--well, except for some Bhaalspawn I suppose--should be dead by that point). And why not have a character who starts off in Baldur's gate? Someone with a relatively normal (compared to being the prodigy of a God lol) origin story? E.g. a Baldurian soldier who is secretly a Harper etc.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Calimshan. Such a fascinating land!
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    edited March 2016
    The Feywild! Could have Gnomes and Elven characters being generally accepted due to their fey heritage but other races having a bit harder of a time being there. Could have characters like Oberon and Titania and others. While the Feywild is a 4e/5e thing there has been notice of a fey realm prior to that. In the 2e Tall Tales for Wee Folk it speaks of a "Dream Land" where most fey creatures exist and they are ruled by Oberon and Titania.

I'd include all the 5e races and subraces along with some special races like Dryad, Pixie, and Satyr. I'm normally a fan of low magic fantasy settings but with the Feywild I wouldn't mind crazy nonsensical magic and non-euclidean geometry. Could have the Seelie and the Unseelie fighting each other and the player could join either faction. Aurilandür (Known as Auril in Faerun) could return as the Queen of Air and Darkness and lead the Unseelie against Titania.

I think the Pixie, Satyr, and Dryad would be very limited in deity selection since the Gods and Fey don't seem to get along at all. Maybe even bar them from becoming Cleircs at all. I would include Paladins in this race/class restriction idea but the Green Knight-flavored Paladin archetype is perfect for Fey characters.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited March 2016
    Man up, boys and join me in Ravenloft!

@Philhelm Good luck being a Paladin there!
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    I wouldn't mind a game set in or around Waterdeep, Suzail, or Calimport. I love the FR and there's so many areas that would make excellent choices for another successful RPG. On the other hand, I feel that tapping into lands seldom used in the novels, like Vaasa and Damara, would give the developers more space to go wild. I really cherished the frontier/badland feeling IceWind Dale had, which is difficult to have in more civilized areas.
    Moradin said:

I wouldn't mind a game set in or around Waterdeep, Suzail, or Calimport. I love the FR and there's so many areas that would make excellent choices for another successful RPG. On the other hand, I feel that tapping into lands seldom used in the novels, like Vaasa and Damara, would give the developers more space to go wild. I really cherished the frontier/badland feeling IceWind Dale had, which is difficult to have in more civilized areas.

Yes, I loved that about Icewind Dale as well. My only problem with those games was that they were more action oriented, and skipped out on character story. I think Anchrome would have that badlands feel even more so than Icewind Dale. Many of the Faerunian expeditions into Anchrome failed, meaning Faerunian culture has not really spread that far into said continent. Many of the peoples discovered in Anchrome by Balduran, the Fists and the Legion were tribal. Also, the Aearee supposedly retreated into Anchrome.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Back to basics: The Dalelands.
    edited April 2016
    I've been watching these PAX 'Acquisitions Inc' D&D games on YouTube. We need a D&D video game with an Acquisitions Inc. Easter egg. Like your character has a fort, and in his room is Acquisition Inc. merchandise. lol
    Post edited by Camus34 on
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    Ravenloft! Ravenloft! Ravenloft!

But I would take anyplace that has a huge sense of dread going on like if you don't succeed all is lost kind of feeling.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    ...I just want to go home.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    My choice is simply based on the fact that many of the other suggestions don't offer diverse enough populations to warrant enough racial choices for a player. Evermeet and the Underdark are limiting, and the political situations there make playing a non-Drow or non-Elf very different.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    What happened to all the love for Thay that I've seen on these forums in recent past?????

I'd like to see it definitely in Faerun. It would be great to have it on the eastern part of the sea of the fallen stars and be involved with the conflict between algarond and Thay. I love Thay....so corrupt, so evil, so...Edwin.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale Icewind Dale
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    edited April 2016
    double post accident
    Post edited by ifupauline on
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766

What happened to all the love for Thay that I've seen on these forums in recent past?????

Probably because we already got Thay in Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer o.o
    That's of course just speculation.
  • AutocratAutocrat Member Posts: 68
    I'm about half-way through The Verdant Passage, and I'm increasingly convinced Dark Sun would be an excellent setting for Beamdog to work with.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I thought that Clerics were a thing post a certain event in Dragonlance? Like in the Champions of Krynn series I have a Kender Cleric/Thief.
  • ZeshinXZeshinX Member Posts: 88
    Kara-Tur is where I'd like to adventure around in (Shou Lung, T'u Lung, Kozakura, Koryo, Wa et al).
  • nlyhnlyh Member Posts: 18
    Moonsea. Area rich with everything to make a good story. Lot's of geographical variation too.

Though there are other areas I might be personally interested in, I have to think of what would be the best option for the greater market. For example, a game purely set in the UD with an UD specific story would not be as marketable. Forgotten Realms is the most well known and marketable world too.
  • PaulGreystokePaulGreystoke Member Posts: 63
    Greyhawk ;)
  • ArgyleArgyle Member Posts: 48
    The City of Brass inspires a haiku ...

Walls of bronze and fire
    Efreeti lords on their thrones
    Intrigue and passion