Skip to content

What would you like to see done (if anything) about Mizhena

cdxcdx Member Posts: 90
A lot has been said on the topic in many threads but maybe we could try to quantify the feedback a little bit? Also, I imagine detailed suggestions / elaboration would be useful.

If you are unhappy about Mizhena, what would you like to see done and how to go about it? Even if you aren't very interested in the topic, what do you think would be the best course of action?
  1. What would you like to see done (if anything) about Mizhena298 votes
    1. Nothing, it's all fine as it is.
      34.23%
    2. Just improve the writing of the one conversation/add lines (how do you think it can be done?)
      16.44%
    3. Point two above, and give her a quest so the content is better integrated (what would you like to see?)
      10.74%
    4. Make her a joinable NPC for best integration (which should include 2 and 3 above, also comments on this?)
      10.40%
    5. Removing her and her line is the only option (what are the reasons for this?)
      12.75%
    6. Other (something completely different?)
        3.02%
    7. I am not at all interested in this discussion.
      12.42%
[Deleted User]cmk24GenderNihilismGirdle

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Actually, I would first play the game to make my playthrough till my party meets Mizhena, then I would continue the playthrough till the end of SoD. And only then I would be able to vote here.
    booinyoureyescdxFaydarkIthual
  • DetectiveMittensDetectiveMittens Member Posts: 235
    edited April 2016
    Replace her for Tonald Drump - the Black Female RepublicanDemocratic Candidate for the Grand Ducal Palace.
    [Deleted User]
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Just drop the "what-a-unusual-name" avenue I guess.

but then that might be perceived as damage control. You can't win.
    cdx[Deleted User]FoggyIthual
  • woowoovoodoowoowoovoodoo Member Posts: 150
    edited April 2016
    Do not change her appearance in this game. Let's make Mizhena Redherring a joinable NPC in some future game.
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 90
    I'm can't say I'm knowledgeable about the topic which causes the issue, I just see that it hurts a game which I like very much. In my opinion the importance of this tiny bit of content is blown way out of proportion but I'd like to seen it addressed anyway.

I think I'd generally go for "Nothing, it's fine" but since it's causing so much grief I think it's a great opportunity to add quality/content to the game by further developing the character.

I don't see this as a question of "Is this wrong?" but as "Can this be better?"

I'd go for adding a quest to improve the game. I've seen suggestions about the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity, combined with some kind of permanent spell casting. That sounds cool. Also, being able to be approving/indifferent/mocking towards her seems fair, to add the ability to roleplay.

I repeat, for me this doesn't mean "fixing" the game, it means improving/adding content and polish to the game.

Also, a kind reminder to please be polite. No need to be offensive in giving an opinion on something.
    prem0nition[Deleted User]GenderNihilismGirdle
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 90
    JRRN said:

An option to cure her of her insanity would be nice.

I see where this came from, but it actually fits quite well for the mocking option of approving/indifferent/mocking replies. It seems appropriate for an evil PC (Edwin type) playthrough. Although, I imagine there should be more interesting or evil-funny options.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Nothing. I think this whole matter is completely ridiculous and all this attention on what's honestly a tiny part of the package is a waste of time.

This happened with Pillars of Eternity too and it was every bit as ridiculous there. Grow up, people.
    StoibsDJKajuru
  • Greenman019Greenman019 Member Posts: 206
    CaloNord said:

Re-write. The character needs a little work. But there is no way to win at this point, as was mentioned, any sort of reworking of the character may be seen as some form of admission that something was intentionally wrong/offensive? It's a difficult topic to deal with for some people.

I'm not a transgender person but I know people who are and they don't wander about announcing it to the world. Quite the contrary. If there is going to be a trans character it should have been written with the UTMOST care and delicacy.

The whole thing has been blown out of proportion so massively. I think everyone can see that.

But they really should change it IMHO, despite what reaction might happen.

They could make some really interesting content, some people have mentioned a specific quest for it, including the belt item etc. Lots of stuff. Right now it exists solely to "tick a box", and it's done in a pretty lazy manner which is a shame. It's a bit of a wasted opportunity as it stands.

But again, it's a tiny part of the time and it really shouldn't have sparked so much attention/criticism.
    prem0nition[Deleted User]cdxGenderNihilismGirdle
  • AlatanAlatan Member Posts: 6
    How I see all this.

g.jpg 59.8K
    Quill_ArmguardYupImMadBroIllustairpeko
  • bluntfeatherbluntfeather Member Posts: 61
    edited April 2016
    Making her a joinable char after all this could be interesting

but, she was intended as a merchant npc. So it'd probably be easier to just round out the options you can reply to her with. I've heard though that generally this dlc lacks in the dialogue options department. So maybe just make it less shoehorney? I don't really care too much either way. I'm still waiting to begin a proper playthrough of BG1 but from what I've heard transexuals don't really fit into the lore so well because there are belts that change your gender magically so... I don't know. That's a tough one.
    cdx
  • bluntfeatherbluntfeather Member Posts: 61
    Well, actually maybe she just refuses to use the belt? I guess that could be interesting.
    cdx
  • TheCrowing1432TheCrowing1432 Member Posts: 17
    Have her be written better and not blurt out shes transgender within 2 seconds of meeting her.

Also, all the normal options you have when interacting with other characters. If I want to be a jerk, ill be a jerk, if I want to be nice, Ill be nice.
  • rjmacreadyrjmacready Member Posts: 91
    edited April 2016
    Didnt care much for her. Of the dozens of other small npcs I didnt care for many of them either. Its a common occurence in RPGs with bit part characters.

What should be done? Nothing. I dont care if you are trans or not, sjw or gamergater, right handed or left, earthling or martian. This brief speck of content is completely and utterly innocuous. Leave it as it, let people judge and if they are mature enough regardless of whether they like or dislike the character they move on to more important things.
    cdx
  • VyrulisseVyrulisse Member Posts: 108
    Expand upon her. Leave her as an NPC in the camp but make the story of her life take longer to get to, maybe have her ask something of you that earns her trust and then have the conversation. It needs to be deeper, more involved... it's a very personal story and I wish it was more than just a one-off conversation.
    cdxSon_of_ImoenGenderNihilismGirdle
  • FiachFiach Member Posts: 231
    edited April 2016
    Leave it as it is, spend the money for any changes on donut seats for the butt hurt whingers.

Next they will want the sex change belt from BG to be removed.
    DJKajuru
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    The way this character is presented is stupid, wrong and makes her seem mental.
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    CaloNord said:

If there is going to be a trans character it should have been written with the UTMOST care and delicacy.

I understand the sentiment, but I think it's misguided. The bar should not be any higher -- for quality of writing, plot centrality, or any other metric -- to include a minority character than to include anyone else. We don't really have to "do diversity the right way." Just include people. It should be that simple, and really, it is.
    rjmacreadycdxThacoBell
  • rjmacreadyrjmacready Member Posts: 91
    joluv said:

I understand the sentiment, but I think it's misguided. The bar should not be any higher -- for quality of writing, plot centrality, or any other metric -- to include a minority character than to include anyone else. We don't really have to "do diversity the right way." Just include people. It should be that simple, and really, it is.

Exactly - as long as there is no malice in the writing of the character then, quite frankly, deal with it.

Trans characters deserve no special attention whatsoever, and neither does any other group be they a minority or a majority. As long as they are written with good intentions rather than malicious intentions then someones personal opinions are just that: their own personal opinions.

I didnt like how Cernd was presented in bg2. I didnt like how Anomen was presented. I didnt like a lot things and that ultimately dont mean squat to anyone else but me.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    cdxrorikonDJKajuruSeraph
  • Baeloth_JnrBaeloth_Jnr Member Posts: 86
    edited April 2016
    [snip]
    Post edited by Baeloth_Jnr on