Skip to content

What portrait would you want?

Comments

• salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    Hertz said:

I would welcome another gnome portrait, but do gnomes have to always be steampunk?
    They don't, of course. It is a visual way to distinguish a gnome's face from a halfling's. "A mysterious person with a hood" could be either or neither. I will make a note of it, however. :)

What about the big nose and beard? I know a gnome doesn't have to have a beard, but the avatars do anyway...
  • HertzHertz Member Posts: 109
    How do you tell big nose and beard apart from a Dwarf?

If gnomes had some distinguishing feature that would be very helpful, like blue skin or little horns, but they aren't physically well defined apart from their gadgetry.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Gnomes and Dwarves tend to have pictures that work well for either race. I don't think I'm the only person who feels this way. If people want to simply say "This guy is only a dwarf!" or "That guy is clearly a gnome!" that's kind of their problem.

Look at Tiax and Quayle. Neither have any "steampunk" elements and someone could argue works just as well for a dwarf as for the gnomes they actually represent.

I think the key is silly hats.
  • TarquinTarquin Member Posts: 41
    There's only one gnome for me...

I couldn't draw my way out of a paper bag. Anyone up for creating a grizzled and battle-worn David the Gnome??
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Well there's one portrait I recall having searched for for a long time and finally not finding anything, but it's rather specific. It was a halfling barbarian/sorcerer character (IWD2) and I wanted a portrait with a raging evil-looking halfling on it. The internet has a lot of stuff on it, but I might have overestimated its capacity in this case.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    edited September 2012
    :D:D?! I like this thread.

Calishites, Tethyrians, Waterdhavians...
    A woman in poor clothing, probably a bit dirty...good for a Ranger or a Thief.
    A man that looks like Fabio Lanzoni, looks very alluring...good for Bards.
    A halfling female or male holding some jewelry, as if offering, or perhaps astonished.
    More gnomes. More dorfs. I think Icewind Dale compensated for Baldur's Gate. There were more dwarves, gnomes, and halflings there than humans, half-elves, or elves!
    More "evil" portraits...perhaps depicting the symbol of Bhaal. Sort of like daddy's little boy or daddy's little girl.
  • LockLock Member Posts: 84
    Sexy halfling chicks, like in the 3E manuals :D
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    As far as my female dwarf suggestion, the details almost don't matter. There are so few out there that any new one couldn't help but be unique.
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    there is definatelly not wenough drow femele portraits
  • HoebaggerHoebagger Member Posts: 46
    edited September 2012
    @Hertz I would say a normal black guy wouldn't be bad. There doesn't have to be anything necessarily specific, just normal fantasy stuff. Black Paladins tend to look pretty awesome, though a Morgan Freeman esque wizard would also be enjoyable. If I recall correctly there either just weren't any or they were already being used by NPCs.

As far as my female dwarf suggestion, the details almost don't matter...

Hoebagger said:

...a normal black guy wouldn't be bad. There doesn't have to be anything necessarily specific...

I appreciate that you both feel there is a distinct need for a niche to be filled, but a portrait probably represents hours of work. I don't want to spend 5-6 hours on a drawing of "just a normal black guy" and get the response, "No, not that one."
    Make Morgan Freeman in a nice blue and gold silk robe with a smile on his face and you'll have a friend for life. For a background adds some type of high backed fancy chair with ornate corners at the top.
    edited September 2012
    Old Morgan Freeman too, maybe show some of that gray in his beard. Hell I'd change that to my avatar and post it all over facebook with a link to whatever account of yours hosts your artwork. Also I guarantee your art will be appreciated, I have worked with many artists before and I know the time and care they put into their work. Putting that much of your time into something for someone you don't know is good character, there is absolutely no way I would just say "Uh not that one."
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    A portrait that screams bhaalspawn, demi-god. lol, badass
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    edited September 2012
    salieri said:

Hertz said:

* a Gnome wizard with a leather goggle cap (m)

I would welcome another gnome portrait, but do gnomes have to always be steampunk? Before Jan they didn't really have that vibe going on in BG. It's not like they can craft items in BG or anything. What I'd like to see is a gnome in a hooded cape, as that could pass equally for a thief, illusionist, or cleric of Baravar Cloakshadow.
    @salieri Actually there's a subset of gnomes who are tinkerers: "Tinker gnomes are the common gnomes of the Dragonlance campaign setting." So they're D&D but I'm not sure if FR has them though... I think that in this case the artist that made Jan really made his portrait to fit his personality more than gnomes in general

@Hertz
    Why not a young female gnome cleric (mediterranean, light brown - fits with the lore and from a lot of time in the sun; light brown hair with blonde highlights - from a lot of time in the sun again :) ) She is wearing a necklace with the symbol of Garl Glittergold (the main deity of the surface gnomes) and a chainmail. For an element of whimsy you could add a badly made flower circlet hanging loosely over her forehead on one side. A smiling young Bhaalspawn, so far untried by the world. :)

Post edited by neleothesze on
  • Blakes7Blakes7 Member Posts: 83
    edited September 2012
    I would like a female assassin type portrait, maybe with some subtle understated facial tattoos. Elven preferably but I would like human as well.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Female shorties aren't very present in the game... other than that, anything you can come up with!
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I'd like a picture of Imoen that fits her BG1 personality. A happy-go-lucky young woman. I don't think either of the official portraits suit her character.
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    edited September 2012
    It would be cool if someone tell us what dimensions the new portraits will have to be, in order to make the new fan-made portraits fitting to the enhanced edition
    @Sophia From the BG:EE screenshots we've seen (the new batch with the UI shown) it seems that the format remains the same as it was in BG1, BG2, and IWD1.
    I'm not sure, I've read somewhere that, at list the bigger version of the portrait (the one that was 110x170), will be bigger
    @Adul I've found where I read it, in the AMAA

That was the question and the answer:
    "First: Thank you for being awesome.

Second: Are portraits still limited to 110x170 in size?

Portraits should be slightly larger I believe. There's always the giant version in the Character Record screen if you want to gaze longingly into the eyes of Cameron Tofer: http://catalogingjunkie.net/BG1BG2style/images/GarrickH_jpg.jpg"
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Hoebagger said:

@Hertz
    I'll be very blunt about this. There are not enough black people, and that's always bothered me. It just cuts out some of the realism in my opinion...

I had a similar problem in NwN. Wanted to make a character based on the black man with the bald head (aside from one pony tail from the top). Couldn't find a single voice that fit. At all. Gave up on the idea, because it would have bugged me to hear the voice that doesn't match the image...
  • SuiboonSuiboon Member Posts: 86
    Xvarts.
    @Sophia I see. It would be an interesting decision for them to change the large portrait's size. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. On one hand, bigger portraits is good. On the other, my portrait collection encompassing over 130 portraits would suddenly be useless. Hmm...
    Adul said:

@Sophia I see. It would be an interesting decision for them to change the large portrait's size. I'm not sure how I'd feel about it. On one hand, bigger portraits is good. On the other, my portrait collection encompassing over 130 portraits would suddenly be useless. Hmm...

Exactly, for me it would be the same.
    But since we have to wait till november I wouldn't mind to spend some time to resize and make new portraits, if they tell us what the new size will be
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    Adul said:

@Sophia From the BG:EE screenshots we've seen (...) it seems that the format remains the same as it was in BG1, BG2, and IWD1.

Not really... The original size for the smallers is 38x60, on BGEE screenshots, the size is 57x90 (150% more bigger).
    @Kerozevok Huh. Well, that settles it then. Portrait collection is trash now. Oh well.

In other news, larger portraits. Yay!
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    edited September 2012
    @Adul If the ratio is the same for the portrait on "character sheet" : 110x170 >> 165x255.

No need to put your collection on trash, it exists several freeware for resize quickly the pictures.
    I'm going to draw the originals at 990 pixels tall, and shrink to fit. The final size shouldn't matter as long as it's below that.