Skip to content

Minor NPCs whose names you really like

BugratBugrat Member Posts: 118
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I always thought the BG series had some really great NPC names that didn't suffer from the "Let's punch random keys on the keyboard to come up with fantasy-ish names!" A lot of them had a good ring to them so that even minor, non-joinable NPCs had memorable, interesting names. To me, this really added a lot of depth to the world. Some of my favorites, just to name a few:
Icharyd -- skeleton warrior above Ulcaster's
Brielbara -- mage who gives the spellbook kidnapping quest in Baldur's Gate
Voltine -- druid in BG city
Viekang -- oddball Bhaalspawn in BG2
I'd be interested if any of the developers have any stories behind some of the really cool names they came up with, if they were based on characters from tabletop campaigns or something.
Anyone else have any favorites?

Comments

• theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    Silke. Not sure why. Just like it.
  • Fluid29Fluid29 Member Posts: 62
    Noober!
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Narcillicus Harwilliger Neen -- paranoid creator of the green slime and mustard jelly control spell
    Caldo and Krumm -- the two backwoods geniuses harassing the dryad and her tree (Caldo's "Hey there. I'm Caldo and this is my brother Kruuuum" was something that stuck with me days after encountering them)
    Portalbendarwinden -- naked hermit whose "lung is flopping all over the dirt! Damn!"
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Portalbendarwinden always stuck with me, too, mostly because his name didn't even fit on the scroll if you Tabbed on him.
  • SerephSereph Member Posts: 23
    Anath, the werewolf in BG2 near Umar Hills. I'm really partial to short names, and this one sounds very nice to me.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    I remember I had a list of these minor npcs...

I would say Borda. We meet him close to the Xvart village. Who the hell is thi guy and what he is doing here ?
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    I always liked Mr Shade. He was called "Herr Schatten" in the German version, and that just sounds cool, a lot like the names in the Pratchett books.
  • SuiboonSuiboon Member Posts: 86
    The 2 ogres that are waiting for you back at the Iron Throne compound once you return from Candlekeep - Ughh and Arghh.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Borinole Mann and Reginald "Longtooth" Worthington III, great characters.
  • KenKen Member Posts: 226
    N'aasim I think his name is.. Human mage who attacks you in the underdark with his cool party
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,196
    edited September 2012
    Hareishan, the mage in cloakwood mines as well as the vampire in BG2.
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    - Brielbara
    - Thalantyr
    - Taerom Fuiruim
    - Phlydia and Dreppin (in Candlekeep)
    - Samuel Thunderburp
    - Silke
    - Merella (Umar Hills ranger)
    - Semaj (Sarevok's mage, read it backwards)

And my favorite:

- Biff the Understudy
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201

Maple Willow Aspen

Do you think her parents were fond of trees?

• reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808

Maple Willow Aspen

Do you think her parents were fond of trees?

I'm from Northern California. They name kids things like that up there. I was thinking, "How unoriginal" before I got better and moved into the world.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Pecca said:

Hareishan, the mage in cloakwood mines as well as the vampire in BG2.

I noticed that as well. When I saw the same name of the vampire in Bodhi's lair, I wondered if there was any connection to BG1. But after fighting Sendai the drow Bhaalspawn in ToB and the Sendai of Amn in the area south of Nashkel in BG1, I just figured someone on the development team liked the names.

• SolobearSolobear Member Posts: 55
    biff the understudy
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Kirian - Fighter/Magic-User who provokes you on the basilisk map.
    Lamalha - Woman outside of Nashkel Mines.
    Tel-anon - Harper that gets on your case if your party is too evil during what, Chapter 5.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited September 2012
    I actually kinda like Aldeth Sashenstar. It rolls of the tongue, and it isn't anything horrible like ...

Abdel ...

*Shudder*

I used Aldeth once for my main character's name in Shining Force.
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    Permidion Stark is by far the best one. Kresselack is good too.

Oh how I wish I could recruit Stark to my party!
  • UnseeyingEyeUnseeyingEye Member Posts: 48
    edited September 2012
    Arkanis Gath, the Shadow Thief who will f*** you up if you attack their members. I like it so much that many of my characters in other games have been given the name.
  • DarsidianDarsidian Member Posts: 10
    Darsidian Moore in Trademeet ;)
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Bub Snikt cuz of the obvious reference
  • phyltybophyltybo Member Posts: 12
    Gorion sounds pretty cool. Also, even though it's more of a nickname, I smile every time I hear Korgan calling Edwin "Spellchucker"...
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    phyltybo said:

Gorion sounds pretty cool. Also, even though it's more of a nickname, I smile every time I hear Korgan calling Edwin "Spellchucker"...

Was never a fan of Gorion... probably because it's "Orion" with a "G". Doesn't seem all that creative to me. Kind of like Hrothgar in Icewind Dale... read Beowulf much?
  • CyricistCyricist Member Posts: 61
    Renal Bloodscalp. What a badass.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Shandyr said:

g314 said:

- Semaj (Sarevok's mage, read it backwards)

Nice catch. There was always something bothering me about the name "Semaj".
    Thanks for solving that puzzle.
    As a DM, I had a player whose name was Fred, and he tried every combination of his name for his new characters. We suffered through Derf, Ferd, Dref, Refd, Erfd and Red F before I told him I would backhand him if he used something like that again. So, of course, his next character was Fredderf. And yes, I smacked him, but not very hard.

As for me, I liked Sendai, Shoal the Nereid, Drienne (the girl with the dead cat), Lord Binky, and of course, Lord Foreshadow.
  • KalindorKalindor Member Posts: 51
    edited September 2012
    Taugosz Tenhammer has no need for "people skills!"

*Edit: Also Ardenor Crush. Both of those mercenary leaders had cool names.