Skip to content

Whoever wrote this (Philip Daigle) seems to be the problem

Comments

• Mephiston87Mephiston87 Member Posts: 178
    edited April 2016
    GoodSteve said:

Guys they have already been straight forward by backing their team, this is the direction beamdog is heading with the baldure's gate ip. Iv been playing baldure's gate since its come out when I was young and every expansion all completed many times over. You can't force a baby back into the womb, you can't undo this "expansions" release.

Jaheira is the strongest good female in bg1, and the writer says she is portrayed as a "nagging wife" ? Characters randomly walking up to you for the purpose of telling you they are transsexual, a child worried about her mum going away to war then randomly saying her mum doesn't need a male(hero of baldure's gate) to protect her... Then why worry? Minsc talking about ethics"GG crap" which with his intelligence he shouldn't even know what the word means. Ultimately the agenda is here to stay as quoted "If people don't like that, then too bad."

iv read and seen more then enough to know a sjw agenda is being pushed here, so I and my friends are going to play it for 2hrs give it a bad review(probably) get a refund and move on. No point causing a big fuss everyone loses then , your wallet talks louder then your words to companies. They will learn or go bankrupt. With kids you don't reward bad behaviour, same with companies and products.

No character walks up to you and tells you they are transgender. That never happened. If YOU walk up to a character and ask her about her strange sounding name she says "I created the name myself several years ago. My birth name proved unsuitable." If you press for more details as to why it was unsuitable she says "When I was born, my parents thought me a boy and raised me as such. In time, we all came to understand I was a woman. I created my new name out of syllables of different languages. All have special meaning to me, it is the truest reflection of who I am." And that's it... that's what all the fuss is about. No one walks up to you and forces you to listen about their story as a transgendered person, it is completely optional and only happens when you ask them a personal question and then press them for more information. The first time I met this character I never got that dialogue because I didn't really care about knowing about their name... it's entirely possible to play the entire game and never know there is a trans character in it. So, please stop with the "ramming this stuff down our throats" attitude. It's tiresome and factually incorrect.

So your saying the character's most interesting attribute isn't the fact that he/she is a transsexual? What is more interesting about the character if everyone else has lied? Seriously tell Me about the character please. It sounds just like you confirmed that the most interesting part about the character being there is that they are transsexual. Does she dance? Does she tell jokes? Does she have a motive on why she is telling you all that? I'm a soldier and I don't go running around telling my life story before a battle doing that could cause me to worry, and worry causes mistakes and mistakes cause death.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    edited April 2016
    What the most interesting aspect of the character is will vary depending on personal taste, I would imagine. For me the most interesting aspect is that she is a female cleric of Tempus, much like Branwen who was a favorite NPC of mine in BG1.

I'm not sure that "everyone else has lied" when they say her being trans is the "most interesting attribute" she has. In fact, I don't think I've heard any of the nay sayers or people complaining about her saying it's overly "interesting." But saying that the character walks up to you and unavoidably FORCES you to hear about their sexual identity isn't true... as I outlined above.
    GoodSteve said:

What the most interesting aspect of the character will vary depending on personal taste, I would imagine. For me the most interesting aspect is that she is a female cleric of Tempus, much like Branwen who was a favorite NPC of mine in BG1.

I'm not sure that "everyone else has lied" when they say her being trans is the "most interesting attribute" she has. In fact, I don't think I've heard any of the nay sayers or people complaining about her saying it's overly "interesting." But saying that the character walks up to you and unavoidably FORCES you to hear about their sexual identity isn't true... as I outlined above.

I never said forces you into anything, the npc's has one purpose. You can skip the purpose but there still is one major purpose it's there, to push an agenda. That's is all, but combine that with the rest of what I said and you have a clear agenda. I proof read that before I posted it and rechecked everything.

GoodSteve said:

What the most interesting aspect of the character will vary depending on personal taste, I would imagine. For me the most interesting aspect is that she is a female cleric of Tempus, much like Branwen who was a favorite NPC of mine in BG1.

I never said forces you into anything, the npc's has one purpose. You can skip the purpose but there still is one major purpose it's there, to push an agenda. That's is all, but combine that with the rest of what I said and you have a clear agenda. I proof read that before I posted it and rechecked everything.
    Well, you did say "Characters randomly walking up to you for the purpose of telling you they are transsexual" and if you are familiar with the Baldur's Gate series you'd know that when characters walk up to you to tell you something it is unavoidable, unless you kill them with ranged attacks before they reach you I suppose. So, if that were the case, that she walks up to you and tells you about it, you would in fact be forced to hear about it... or forced to kill her first... but forced none the less. You did say that. I outlined that it wasn't the case and you have been misinformed. You said earlier you haven't bought or played the game yet, so I wanted to let you know that your presumption wasn't true.

Actually, she is the camp healer. Her purpose is to provide clerical magic and accepts donations to raise your reputation just like every other temple/church in the saga... that's literally her major purpose in the game.
    edited April 2016
    GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

Actually, she is the camp healer. Her purpose is to provide clerical magic and accepts donations to raise your reputation just like every other temple/church in the saga... that's literally her major purpose in the game.
    There are are dozens of them in the game, that is not interesting. Anything that causes outrage, or promotes the player to stop playing get a refund and jump on forums is interesting. Something that you will remember forever is interesting like all the endings of each game etc. Her most interesting attribute it to be a coward and talk about her personal details and endanger herself and troops before a battle Rule no. 1 never think about family or personal problems before or during combat.
    edited April 2016

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

There are are dozens of them in the game, that is not interesting. Anything that causes outrage, or promotes the player to stop playing get a refund and jump on forums is interesting. Something that you will remember forever is interesting like all the endings of each game etc.
    Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Edit: Wait, are you trying to imply she is putting the party in jeopardy because she mentions personal information only after THE PLAYER pushes her to do so TWICE? That seems more like your fault for asking, soldier.
    edited April 2016

GoodSteve said:

The NPC is there to provide healing, resurrection, and other clerical services. That is the only agenda the character pushes.

Why do you hate clerics?
    I'm meh about clerics, I usually just pack aerie and anomen. More for the fighter/mage parts then the cleric parts tho.
    GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

There are are dozens of them in the game, that is not interesting. Anything that causes outrage, or promotes the player to stop playing get a refund and jump on forums is interesting. Something that you will remember forever is interesting like all the endings of each game etc.
    Yeah? Well, you know, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Edit: Wait, are you trying to imply she is putting the party in jeopardy because she mentions personal information only after THE PLAYER pushes her to do so TWICE? That seems more like your fault for asking, soldier.
    Yeh that is the point, it's my opinion that there is far more sjw material in this then the rest of the bg series. Unlike most I'm not kicking up a fuss or abusing, I'm just recommending everyone handle this maturely. Bad review+refund= profit, tho I never do reviews without playing atleast a little.
  • AmahAmah Member Posts: 18
    edited April 2016
    The more I read here on the forums the less I feel home here and the more alienated. If it's not allowed to have different viewpoint, then not even positive critique, which could bring the game further, will happen.

What I really miss is a general "try walking in my shoes" and dont twist every words around here.

Maybe I'm just depressed, or it's because my English seems not good enough for those debate course style word fights but I think I leave it.
    GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

That's the point nothing like that shoud even be there, "hey let's have a D&M before we hack those guys/girls heads off and defile their bodies" atleast with the iron throne you have no choice you need information. Here its as I quoted lol.
    No, I meant it's your opinion that she isn't interesting because she's a cleric of Tempus. My opinion differs.

What if I told you that the PC can stand up for Viconia who is being persecuted solely because of her race on no less than two separate occasions in two separate games? Is this simply acceptable SJW agenda because it isn't new and in the spot light? What if I told you this was an incredibly common theme in the Forgotten Realms (the setting BG is set in) and is one of the major themes of the most popular novels set in that setting? Ever hear of Drizzt? He's so popular they shoe horned him into these games even.
    edited April 2016
    Amah said:

The more I read here on the forums the less I feel home here and the more alienated. If it's not allowed to have different viewpoint, then not even positive critique, which could bring the game further, will happen.

What I really miss is a generally "try walking in my shoes" and dont twist every words around here.

Maybe I'm just depressed, or it's because my English seems not good enough for those debate course style word fights but I think I leave it.

You can have the viewpoint you want mate, just remember the majority here are nerds/geek's. They are very quick witty and fast, if you have a viewpoint back it up with actual information statistics or anything similar. I'm no geek/nerd but I protected geeks/nerds in school and bullied the bullies cause it was fun, and some of their genius rubbed off on me.

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

That's the point nothing like that shoud even be there, "hey let's have a D&M before we hack those guys/girls heads off and defile their bodies" atleast with the iron throne you have no choice you need information. Here its as I quoted lol.
    Ok, well the problem is the entire story of SoD revolves around a battle. If they did as you suggest and gave no character any backstory, because talking about personal stuff gets people killed during war time, no one would have any characterization at all.

You honestly take issue with the game because you have the option to learn about the characters? In an RPG? Really?
    edited April 2016
    GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

Ok, well the problem is the entire story of SoD revolves around a battle. If they did as you suggest and gave no character any backstory, because talking about personal stuff gets people killed during war time, no one would have any characterization at all.

You honestly take issue with the game because you have the option to learn about the characters? In an RPG? Really?
    Your well Aware of My stand point, it doesn't belong in that situation on that person at that time. He'll do a guy/girl dying on the ground like that quest for the harp guys and the learn all about him/her once u save him/her at a cleric. Extreme injuries/near death situations always bring out that style of talk. Once She's away from danger that is.

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

Your well Aware of My stand point, it doesn't belong in that situation on that person at that time. He'll do a guy/girl dying on the ground like that quest for the harp guys and the learn all about him/her once u save him/her at a cleric. Extreme injuries/near death situations always bring out that style of talk. Once She's away from danger that is.
    The character isn't in the game enough for that to accomplished. That's the funny thing, the character is such a minor one but has still stirred up such a fuss, for some reason.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it at all. You obviously wont be asking anyone any personal questions, being a responsible soldier, so you wont even realize the character is there. Hope you enjoy the game you said you're biased against already and planning to review negatively without playing a single second of it.
    edited April 2016
    GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

The character isn't in the game enough for that to accomplished. That's the funny thing, the character is such a minor one but has still stirred up such a fuss, for some reason.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it at all. You obviously wont be asking anyone any personal questions, being a responsible soldier, so you wont even realize the character is there. Hope you enjoy the game you said you're biased against already and planning to review negatively without playing a single second of it.
    I never review without playing neither do my mates. 2hrs refund. If it's buggy that is their fault not mine. It's not just that one thing tho mate it's the combination, all of what I listed and of what I have read and how beamdog has behaved. I'm simply relaying why so many are angry in a good manner, straight to the points. And a possible solution just a small example to the transsexual thingy.
  • AmahAmah Member Posts: 18

You can have the viewpoint you want mate, just remember the majority here are nerds/geek's. They are very quick witty and fast, if you have a viewpoint back it up with actual information statistics or anything similar. I'm no geek/nerd but I protected geeks/nerds in school and bullied the bullies cause it was fun, and some of their genius rubbed off on me.

thanks mate, I wouldn't be here, if I wouldn't be a nerd. This whole mess reminds me of animal farm on all sides. Four legs - good, two legs - bad. Ok, I'm a chicken (and not even able to properly bah like a sheep), too bad for me?

Anyways... if discussions are going like these it's what we call an argument about the "emporer's beard"...

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

I never review without playing neither do my mates. 2hrs refund. If it's buggy that is their fault not mine.
    You may not even encounter the character you're so riled up about during your two hours of play. Enjoy.
    GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

I never review without playing neither do my mates. 2hrs refund. If it's buggy that is their fault not mine.
    You may not even encounter the character you're so riled up about during your two hours of play. Enjoy.
    Do I seem Riled to you?
    Amah said:

thanks mate, I wouldn't be here, if I wouldn't be a nerd. This whole mess reminds me of animal farm on all sides. Four legs - good, two legs - bad. Ok, I'm a chicken (and not even able to properly bah like a sheep), too bad for me?

Anyways... if discussions are going like these it's what we call an argument about the "emporer's beard"...

Alot of it is fear about what will happen, it's not heaps of sjw stuff but it's far more then all bg games combined. Remember how expansions for games used to be huge? And how they are tiny now and far more expensive? It happened because they very slowly introduced it, everyone is worried about sjw crap creeping in from a writer that herself admits she is a very biased sjw and will put it in everything she does. I'm serious she said that. That's basically the root of the problem. Stop sjw now or more and more will creep In.
    GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

Do I seem Riled to you?
    Yes.
    Well I'm calm watching porn, big breasted lesbians going at it in a hot tub while I type on here.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Hello friends. Let's try to stay chill and friendly and keep on the discussion of the writing instead of baiting each other.

For example: In Baldur's Gate, why does Charname actually follow the plotline for any reason? They don't have any strong motivation besides XP really until much, much later in the game. If you pick up Khalid and Jaheira they tell you that they want to go to Nashkel when they first meet you at least. It seems like you just can't think of anything better to do with your life than travel the land and solving mysteries like some kind of fantasy Scooby Gang.
    edited April 2016

Hello friends. Let's try to stay chill and friendly and keep on the discussion of the writing instead of baiting each other.

For example: In Baldur's Gate, why does Charname actually follow the plotline for any reason? They don't have any strong motivation besides XP really until much, much later in the game. If you pick up Khalid and Jaheira they tell you that they want to go to Nashkel when they first meet you at least. It seems like you just can't think of anything better to do with your life than travel the land and solving mysteries like some kind of fantasy Scooby Gang.

Gorion was a Really well done character as was his death, for me avenging him was plenty motivation till around the time I arrived at Nashkel. Then things got blurry with heaps of quests and areas
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

I never review without playing neither do my mates. 2hrs refund. If it's buggy that is their fault not mine. It's not just that one thing tho mate it's the combination, all of what I listed and of what I have read and how beamdog has behaved. I'm simply relaying why so many are angry in a good manner, straight to the points. And a possible solution just a small example to the transsexual thingy.
    You're buying the game with the intent of refunding it and giving it a bad review, not to actually play the game and form an opinion. You're mind is clearly made up before you've even installed it so why even bother? Just walk away and leave because you don't "x" or you don't like "y". Saying that the devs have forced a political agenda and then trying to bring down the game through reviews and refunds is hypocritical because you're trying to force your own agenda through those methods
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597

Gorion was a Really well done character as was his death, for me avenging him was plenty motivation till around the time I arrived at Nashkel. Then things got blurry with heaps of quests and areas
    Avenging Gorion is a good motivation friend agreed. However you don't know that Gorion's killer was behind all the troubles in the area until at least halfway through the game by my reckoning.
    edited April 2016

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

GoodSteve said:

You're buying the game with the intent of refunding it and giving it a bad review, not to actually play the game and form an opinion. You're mind is clearly made up before you've even installed it so why even bother? Just walk away and leave because you don't "x" or you don't like "y". Saying that the devs have forced a political agenda and then trying to bring down the game through reviews and refunds is hypocritical because you're trying to force your own agenda through those methods
    Odd where did I say I would definately buy it and definitely refund it and definitely give it a bad review?. I believe you read the wrong post, I don't talk with definates. I'm not forcing an agenda this is a discussion, you are your own person. I will add that this is a discussion on the writers agenda, you should not be here if you do not want to discuss it. Also I thought it would be refreshing to hear from Someone who hasn't played the expansion yet and admits it, what iv heard and learnt and many many others too.