Skip to content

Whoever wrote this (Philip Daigle) seems to be the problem

Comments

• Mephiston87Mephiston87 Member Posts: 178

Jaheira is the strongest good female in bg1, and the writer says she is portrayed as a "nagging wife" ? Characters randomly walking up to you for the purpose of telling you they are transsexual, a child worried about her mum going away to war then randomly saying her mum doesn't need a male(hero of baldure's gate) to protect her... Then why worry?

Actually, Rohma's line is "Mama doesn't need you. She can take care of herself." This is said in response to a dialog choice by the player of "Have no fear, Rohma. I'll make sure nothing happens to your mother." It is said to a CHARNAME of either gender. There's nothing in Rohma's line about how her mother doesn't need a *man* to take care of her. She's just saying that her mom is tough as nails and she doesn't need "The Hero of Baldur's Gate" (male or female) to protect her.

You and everyone else who kvetches about this line as "mansplaining" are reading your own biases into the line. It says more about *you* than any of the writers.
    So you think a child that is surrounded by war, death and dead bodies is perfectly fine with her mother going off to die? I'm a soldier and I'm yet to see a single case where any child thinks their father/mother will "kickass" in warfare, and these children are not surrounded by war and death these days. Yet you think a child in that area and that time would be perfectly fine with her mother going off? Sorry to say it but all they do is cry and cling to your leg.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    I found a secret deleted scene that should shed some light on this controversy friends.

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

Jaheira is the strongest good female in bg1, and the writer says she is portrayed as a "nagging wife" ? Characters randomly walking up to you for the purpose of telling you they are transsexual, a child worried about her mum going away to war then randomly saying her mum doesn't need a male(hero of baldure's gate) to protect her... Then why worry?

Actually, Rohma's line is "Mama doesn't need you. She can take care of herself." This is said in response to a dialog choice by the player of "Have no fear, Rohma. I'll make sure nothing happens to your mother." It is said to a CHARNAME of either gender. There's nothing in Rohma's line about how her mother doesn't need a *man* to take care of her. She's just saying that her mom is tough as nails and she doesn't need "The Hero of Baldur's Gate" (male or female) to protect her.

You and everyone else who kvetches about this line as "mansplaining" are reading your own biases into the line. It says more about *you* than any of the writers.
    So you think a child that is surrounded by war, death and dead bodies is perfectly fine with her mother going off to die? I'm a soldier and I'm yet to see a single case where any child thinks their father/mother will "kickass" in warfare, and these children are not surrounded by war and death these days. Yet you think a child in that area and that time would be perfectly fine with her mother going off? Sorry to say it but all they do is cry and cling to your leg.
    You are a soldier? Cool, me too. I'm a 13D, what's yours?

As for kids and this it depends on the age. Thankfully I haven't been deployed yet but my boy is only 5. Him thinking that his dad is going to go "kickass" isn't out of the question given his age and lack of understanding.
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    edited April 2016

I found a secret deleted scene that should shed some light on this controversy friends.

?!?!?

edited April 2016
    Roseweave said:

This whole concept of "transgender people don't really exist" completely ignores non-binary identities and countless other cultures which influence other regions of Toril. Also the fact that the average person can barely afford a potion of healing let alone one of permanent gender change. The Girdle is a joke item, and a rare one at that and it's value shouldn't be taken at face value(and it's STILL out of reach for most). In 4E anyway permanent transmutation is quite rare.

I can understand maybe for a peasant but I thought she was a cleric? Well clerics are in non war time are surrounded by other clerics and those clerics have superiors who are higher skilled clerics. And that clerics can cast this spell or atleast find an item that will provide it? The belt of femininity/masculinity sells for basically nothing.

Or is she not much of a transsexual?. Why mention it then when it's not that important to the person who is a transsexual? If u havent sorted it when your an adult it's a non issue clearly. You wouldn't run up to heavily armed and armoured strangers and tell them all about it.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    From my perspective, singling out people by name for criticism is quite unkind and rather hostile.

OP could have written: "I did not personally like writing in SoD, here are my suggestions and views." OPs opinion is a matter of his or her subjective assessment, and taste, and that is fine - putting it across nicely would be finer still.

From my perspective, SoD is a great improvement to EE content that I do not dislike, but also I am not that wild about. So I do not think that Philip Daigle or Beamdog have a problem, personally, I am rather thankful that they published SoD which I have enjoyed. Compared with EE, I am pleased with the progress made which will hopefully continue on positive curve for eventual full game by Beamdog. So thank you Philip & team for your efforts.

Confess, confess - this is actually a script for some of those Skyrim animations! :-D
    edited April 2016
    Grum said:

As for kids and this it depends on the age. Thankfully I haven't been deployed yet but my boy is only 5. Him thinking that his dad is going to go "kickass" isn't out of the question given his age and lack of understanding.
    When u get deployed it will be all tears. And clinging legs I promise you mate. I have no idea what 13d(sounds like a bra size) is I'm not a yank mate. The child in the game is surrounded by death and war.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108

I can understand maybe for a peasant but I thought she was a cleric? Well clerics are in non war time are surrounded by other clerics and those clerics have superiors who are higher skilled clerics. And that clerics can cast this spell or atleast find an item that will provide it? The belt of femininity/masculinity sells for basically nothing.

Or is she not much of a transsexual?. Why mention it then when it's not that important to the person who is a transsexual? If u havent sorted it when your an adult it's a non issue clearly. You wouldn't run up to heavily armed and armoured strangers and tell them all about it.

We don't know what she's done for her transition (and really we don't need to know specifics), so none of this really makes any sense as criticism or complaint.

She doesn't run up to anyone and tell them all about it. You have to ask her about her name, and then ask for more information after that. If you don't ask about her name, you never hear anything about her being transgender. This is the opposite of "running up to strangers and telling them all about it."
    edited April 2016

We don't know what she's done for her transition (and really we don't need to know specifics), so none of this really makes any sense as criticism or complaint.

She doesn't run up to anyone and tell them all about it. You have to ask her about her name, and then ask for more information after that. If you don't ask about her name, you never hear anything about her being transgender. This is the opposite of "running up to strangers and telling them all about it."
    So when u ask for/comment on people's names they tell you their sexual preferance/gender often do they? Odd in 28 years of life that has not happened to me and in 20ish years playing baldure's gate it's not happened either, you meet really really weird people. He'll I don't even think I have ask for anyone's sexual orientation/gender before.

Bit of nuance please. Not all transsexuals want a surgical reassignment, because it is a radical operation. However, they will still identify with their felt gender. To call such human beings "not much of" something would be quite bigoted in my view, because whom are we to dictate what others should feel or what is a "correct" way to exist on such private matter?

Secondly, as I've pointed out once before, the progression of gay rights to the point where at least in Western cities homosexual couples can hold hands etc without particular attention has take quite a bit of activism. Some of this activism has been, such as love parades, "in your face" on purpose because this has been needed. Transsexuals who want to declare are perfectly understandable to me, because trans people are still most discriminated and harassed group within LGBT communities.

edited April 2016
    TStael said:

Bit of nuance please. Not all transsexuals want a surgical reassignment, because it is a radical operation. However, they will still identify with their felt gender. To call such human beings "not much of" something would be quite bigoted in my view, because whom are we to dictate what others should feel or what is a "correct" way to exist on such private matter?

Secondly, as I've pointed out once before, the progression of gay rights to the point where at least in Western cities homosexual couples can hold hands etc without particular attention has take quite a bit of activism. Some of this activism has been, such as love parades, "in your face" on purpose because this has been needed. Transsexuals who want to declare are perfectly understandable to me, because trans people are still most discriminated and harassed group within LGBT communities.

Aaaaaaah sjw propaganda! My eyes are bleeding! This isn't reality this is a game where transformation of gender is a non issue, the first magic item u get in the damn game is something to solve this problem and most casting npc's in the game are capable of casting it. He'll a guy gets turned into a bloody chicken, far more Radical and dangerous(due to too low intelligence brain). It's not a dangerous procedure at all here, it's just a spell and resurrection is simple And cheap, and guess what the guy that can resurrect u for cheap can cast it.

Please Stick within the topic of the game world.

Game-worlds are always reflection of the actual world, reflected through a lens of imagination and fantasy, in my view - and my gaming immersion is not very fragile anyway.

For you to dictate how a gameworld char should feel about something because this is how you feel about it is not very different from your "not much of a" comment - unless you consider yourself gatekeeper of proper immersion, of course! :-)
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    The reality is sex transformation in the game isn't needed because you can select the sex of your character before starting.

Polymorph Other requires a system shock roll. If you fail then you die. No resurrection.
    TStael said:

Game-worlds are always reflection of the actual world, reflected through a lens of imagination and fantasy, in my view - and my gaming immersion is not very fragile anyway.

For you to dictate how a gameworld char should feel about something because this is how you feel about it is not very different from your "not much of a" comment - unless you consider yourself gatekeeper of proper immersion, of course! :-)
    No you are in their world, with their characters, with their options on how to do things. You have an illusion of choice but all paths are set. I like their world so much because it does not reflect our own, there are endless Plains of existence and they can be travelled, they have magic too. We have 1 plain as we know it and no magic. Other then humans being a race I don't see any connection. Take humans out of the equation and you have zero like our world.

TStael said:

No you are in their world, with their characters, with their options on how to do things. You have an illusion of choice but all paths are set. I like their world so much because it does not reflect our own, there are endless Plains of existence and they can be travelled, they have magic too. We have 1 plain as we know it and no magic. Other then humans being a race I don't see any connection. Take humans out of the equation and you have zero like our world.
    Yeah, other races like elves or gnomes or dwarves or drow or goblins or orcs never think or feel anything. Don't have families or jobs. Don't build anything. Nothing at all like our world. Yeah.
    edited April 2016
    mf2112 said:

The reality is sex transformation in the game isn't needed because you can select the sex of your character before starting.

Polymorph Other requires a system shock roll. If you fail then you die. No resurrection.

Umm I think your going by a different edition rule set mate. Iv used it in my party endlessly and never once had a person go pop. And iv never heard of a "system shock roll" I don't think it exists in baldure's gate. What resistance stops "system. Shock rolls"?
    mf2112 said:

TStael said:

Yeah, other races like elves or gnomes or dwarves or drow or goblins or orcs never think or feel anything. Don't have families or jobs. Don't build anything. Nothing at all like our world. Yeah.
    That's not a reflection of our world, that is how we humans see other sentient beings. Similar to us because we lack understanding or creativity or both.
    1E and 2E rules have system shock. I don't know if they actually implemented it in BG2 but I would say it is implemented in BG1 as Melicamp can certainly die when Thalantyr casts the reversal spell.

deltasdnd.blogspot.com/2014/05/spells-through-ages-polymorph.html
    edited April 2016
    mf2112 said:

1E and 2E rules have system shock. I don't know if they actually implemented it in BG2 but I would say it is implemented in BG1 as Melicamp can certainly die when Thalantyr casts the reversal spell.

deltasdnd.blogspot.com/2014/05/spells-through-ages-polymorph.html

That's because he is being transformed from something with monstrously inferior intelligence. Same intelligence is fine, and I don't think it kills in bg1 or 2. just in that occasion it was more of a curse and he had been in it for too long. According to the lore your not supposed to go into things of lesser intelligence little own a bloody chicken, and the longer u remain in it the more dangerous it becomes. Changing to equal of higher is very safe. Pretty sure shapeshifting maintains your brain(or close to it) , spells don't.

Not certain how druids can do it so safely.
    edited April 2016
    Grum said:

Grum said:

When u get deployed it will be all tears. And clinging legs I promise you mate. I have no idea what 13d(sounds like a bra size) is I'm not a yank mate. The child in the game is surrounded by death and war.
    You're a soldier from which country? I'm guessing England given your..."yank." I'd also say that you sound immensely disrespectful. I'm a field artillery tactical data system specialist. That is what 13D means. So there you go, guy.

A good friend of mine just deployed. He has three children. All of whom were well prepped and taken care of. Sad? Yes. But not what you said. Your black and white look at this is rather...odd and dramatic.
    Aussie mate, and there was no disrespect intended at All. The times I have worked with the Brits I have enjoyed, Americans have been called yanks since well before I was born. If you take offence dig up the bodies who started it and ask for an apology. Other then country I don't discuss my personal career on a public forum online and since we should have similar rules, you shouldn't be either. Being a soldier is one thing, putting up details is completely different.

It's also completely off Topic.
    Nothing off topic about saying what your job is. It's as relevant as you saying that you are a soldier to get cred for your arguments. Posting pictures, unit info...things that can trace to you is a no. This is something you *should* know. What's interesting is that you basically go "listen to me, I'm a soldier." Then when someone goes "hey I'm one too I disagree" you suddenly are for keeping mum. Really, if you are a soldier you should have a better idea of what you can and can't say. And surprise...you aren't limited to using your service only to attack games you don't like.
    edited April 2016
    Grum said:

Nothing off topic about saying what your job is. It's as relevant as you saying that you are a soldier to get cred for your arguments. Posting pictures, unit info...things that can trace to you is a no. This is something you *should* know. What's interesting is that you basically go "listen to me, I'm a soldier." Then when someone goes "hey I'm one too I disagree" you suddenly are for keeping mum. Really, if you are a soldier you should have a better idea of what you can and can't say. And surprise...you aren't limited to using your service only to attack games you don't like.

So your allowed to post your details and things about work online and your allowed to have a fb? Most don't follow military law but I do, I'm sorry if you don't. And I'm Not attacking this game whatsoever, as I have said many times I haven't played the expansion. Due to this mess and the reviews I'm holding off, however I do want to play the game so I'm putting in input in an attempt to improve the games literature and controversial shortcomings. If there were no problems it would not have horrid reviews and it would not have endless news about its Content. Bugs+sjw agenda, whether they intended to put sjw in this expansion or not it's there and there is more then expected.

When have I attacked the game? It's Been quite Civil till now thank you
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108

So when u ask for/comment on people's names they tell you their sexual preferance/gender often do they? Odd in 28 years of life that has not happened to me and in 20ish years playing baldure's gate it's not happened either, you meet really really weird people. He'll I don't even think I have ask for anyone's sexual orientation/gender before.
    Don't be obtuse. I never said anything of the sort, I simply said you have to prompt her before she tells you anything. She's not rushing up and yelling it in your face.

It is pretty typical for NPCs to tell you things about themselves in CRPGs, and in that regard Mizhena is no different from any other such NPC.
    edited April 2016

Don't be obtuse. I never said anything of the sort, I simply said you have to prompt her before she tells you anything. She's not rushing up and yelling it in your face.

It is pretty typical for NPCs to tell you things about themselves in CRPGs, and in that regard Mizhena is no different from any other such NPC.
    Yeh i did come in this forum believing what all people complaining had said, from memory 2 of the 3 options gets you the answer of what/who she is etc. So it's not completely thrown in your face just mostly.

And no it's not typical at all name an instance you have gotten similar information from Another npc? If an npc throws that info at you its for a reason, a quest etc, intelligence/charisma check, intimidation check Anything at all. Many times u can force/persuade such private information out of a person.

They have already stated the character was poorly done and will be sorted.

Grum said:

So your allowed to post your details and things about work online and your allowed to have a fb? Most don't follow military law but I do, I'm sorry if you don't. And I. Not attacking this game whatsoever, as I have said many times I haven't played the expansion. Due to this mess and the reviews I'm holding off, however I do want to play the game so I'm putting in input in an attempt to improve the games shortcoming and controversial shortcomings. If there were no problems it would not have horrid reviews and it would not have endless news about its Content. Bugs+sjw agenda, whether they intended to put sjw in this expansion or not it's there and there is more then expected.
    I said quite the opposite. I am allowed to say my mos. you can say what type of soldier you are. Infantry, tanker, chaplain, JAG...all are soldiers. All do very different things. You can quite certainly say that, especially as what you do defines your experiences. I state again: you used being a soldier to support your argument. You are saying that I cannot do the same in the most inane way possible.

Also you are indeed allowed to have fb. I have plenty of friends who choose to post news about their life. Such as themselves in their dress uniforms or whatnot. There is no rule against having fb as a soldier.

Your lack of understanding about what we can and can't do is simply put...shocking. It really makes me question you. Care to post this military law?

Here is proof that in America you are wrong: http://www.forthoodpresscenter.com/external/content/document/3439/1416867/1/5-Social Media and UCMJ.pdf

And once again, you use your claimed service to add credibility to your arguments. The second someone refutes you with his experience you make up obviously false excuses to shut the conversation down.
    edited April 2016

Grum said:

So your allowed to post your details and things about work online and your allowed to have a fb? Most don't follow military law but I do, I'm sorry if you don't. And I'm Not attacking this game whatsoever, as I have said many times I haven't played the expansion. Due to this mess and the reviews I'm holding off, however I do want to play the game so I'm putting in input in an attempt to improve the games literature and controversial shortcomings. If there were no problems it would not have horrid reviews and it would not have endless news about its Content. Bugs+sjw agenda, whether they intended to put sjw in this expansion or not it's there and there is more then expected.

You haven't even played the game? HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It doesn't have horrid INFORMED reviews.
    mf2112 said:

Grum said:

You haven't even played the game? HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It doesn't have horrid INFORMED reviews.
    You can tell the difference between informed and non informed reviews? There are thumbs down everywhere, and 0 or 10's everywhere. So is the game a 10/10 or a 0/10? And steam is just covered in thumbs down completely, they are all saying the same thing except the 10's which mention very little. One sentence is not a Review.
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    edited April 2016
    Actually a few trans folks have addressed the whole "girdle of sex change" thing multiple times on these forums. What's key is the expression and recognition of gender, not necessarily sex - this is a key differentiation that many people refuse to acknowledge.

There are trans people who would like to change their sex to match their gender identity as much as possible, and there are those who wouldn't. The idea that complete sex change is the be-all end-all goal for all trans people just isn't universal.