Skip to content

Whoever wrote this (Philip Daigle) seems to be the problem

Comments

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108

Odd where did I say I would definately buy it and definitely refund it and definitely give it a bad review?. I believe you read the wrong post, I don't talk with definates.

@Excalibur_2102 didn't say "Definitely", that's your addition in response. Because you did say you were going to do those things:

iv read and seen more then enough to know a sjw agenda is being pushed here, so I and my friends are going to play it for 2hrs give it a bad review(probably) get a refund and move on. No point causing a big fuss everyone loses then , your wallet talks louder then your words to companies. They will learn or go bankrupt. With kids you don't reward bad behaviour, same with companies and products.

• Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    so I and my friends are going to play it for 2hrs give it a bad review(probably) get a refund and move on
    That's a pretty "definite" statement... If not, youre clearly still considering it.

Nevermind though... I don't really know who the "lead writer" was on this project, but like others have said amber joined late. I know Andrew was another significant writer
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The Lead Designer for the project was Phillip Daigle. We didn't have a Lead Writer for this project.

(All of this is in the SoD credits, by the way.)
  • Mephiston87Mephiston87 Member Posts: 178

so I and my friends are going to play it for 2hrs give it a bad review(probably) get a refund and move on
    That's a pretty "definite" statement... If not, youre clearly still considering it.

Nevermind though... I don't really know who the "lead writer" was on this project, but like others have said amber joined late. I know Andrew was another significant writer

I made My post thingy a little longer mate re read it, I haven't played it and what I'm saying is what the gaming Community is saying.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607

I made My post thingy a little longer mate re read it, I haven't played it and what I'm saying is what the gaming Community is saying.

I'm part of the gaming community. I'm not saying that.
  • rorikonrorikon Member Posts: 105
    @Mephiston87 I'm also part of the gaming community. I'm not saying that either.
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508

br4zil said:

As some might know, this is indeed a copy paste of the thread i made on the Steam forums. But i wanted to know what you guys here at the forums think.

I think a forklift that can only lift 3 tons sounds rather useless, and I don't think they design those anymore.
    They do. They lift pallets in warehouses. They can go pretty high, too.
    edited April 2016
    GoodSteve said:

I'm part of the gaming community. I'm not saying that.

Ugh the gaming community that hasn't played it yet. This whole mess is all over the place and slowly getting worse. It's not a unique position, but I do care and have not played so I can logically give a moderately non biased opinion. The only reason I haven't bothered with it is because of this mess. Give that damn transsexual a legitimate good reason, one that will not alienate her (near death experiance) or something similar to "rush" that information across. Near death+saving her=instant good trust allows to keep the sjw crap but makes it far more subtle like the military does. Rip the "ethics" crap off of minsc because he shouldn't even know what the word means. No one really cares about safana she can remain, beamdog can take the small victory. but I would give jaheira her personality back. Ultimately that should solve this mess.

Oh and all I endless hear is crap about the ui, put a "ui" tab in the settings and list bg1, bg2, sod, and make that setting on all EE. Now no one can bitch because u can chose which u like out of the 3.
    KcoQuidam said:

I know the work of Amber Scott even on other thing than BG. I found personnaly her work very good and impressive.

And, for as far as i know, i really like the work of the writers in Beamdog. So ... i totally disagree with the first post. Sorry.

I'm really hoping for being able read more thing write by the team.

(And so, seing how they manage greatly, in my opinion, all the issues, i'm REALLY hoping being able to see more and more of their work)

(And strangely, i'm also part of the gaming community)

Then tell Me if the changes were made as listed above would you be affected or angry?
    edited April 2016
    KcoQuidam said:

Give that damn transsexual a legitimate good reason.

We dont need a "good" reason to exist, talk about ourself or for being represented in the games we love. Deal with it.

The fact you alway want a "good reason" (in other word: a reason YOU find good) to exist in the Realms that are a magical word of dragon, magic and francking planeshifters is a very strange "damn" "political statement".
    I have lived for 28 years. And not once has a person run up to me and told me they are a transsexual or gay or even a heterosexual or anything similar, not once. Why should this transsexual be special? It's never happened in a bg game either. Why alienate this character? Answer the question if any of those changes happened would you be angry and why?
  • KcoQuidamKcoQuidam Member Posts: 181

Why alienate this character?

(I'm transgender. I talk about myself not so far than this character you know. The "alienate" word seems a bit misplaced here.

But i dont think this conversation lead anywhere in fact)

Just thank to the writting team for their work. That's why i have post in the first place. And sorry to the other people who read this conversation for the mess.
    KcoQuidam said:

Why alienate this character?

(I'm transgender. I talk about myself not so far than this character you know. The "alienate" word seems a bit misplaced here.

But i dont think this conversation lead anywhere in fact)

Just thank to the writting team for their work. That's why i have post in the first place. And sorry to the other people who read this conversation for the mess.
    Ugh don't run, look it was a serious proposal and a serious question. If those changes were implemented would you be angry/annoyed? I have proposed a "basic solution" bare basic that would appease the nay sayers(mostly) now since your on the other side you need to say what u don't like and why.
  • MaximvsMaximvs Member Posts: 94
    Have to admit, I'm playing the old baldur's gate at the moment, and the writing is kinda horrible at time. "Hello, I'm a drow, don't worry, I worship Shar. She's a surface goddess!"

Oh god... who would openly admit to Shar worship so easily like that...
    @Mephiston87 Have you read this statement?:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/51161/beamdog-statement-on-siege-of-dragonspear#latest

Minscs line is being removed, and the character in question is being fleshed out, maybe in a similar way to how you described.

@Mephiston87 Have you read this statement?:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/51161/beamdog-statement-on-siege-of-dragonspear#latest

Minscs line is being removed, and the character in question is being fleshed out, maybe in a similar way to how you described.

Yeh I did read that, it's 3/4 of the problem solved if handled correctly. Then there is just the jaheira personality + "my mum doesn't need a man to protect her" then why be scared for her?. Lots of people have talked about safana but none are that "complainy" they just seem a bit irked. And the ui is a biggy.
  • Baeloth_JnrBaeloth_Jnr Member Posts: 86
    Maximvs said:

Have to admit, I'm playing the old baldur's gate at the moment, and the writing is kinda horrible at time. "Hello, I'm a drow, don't worry, I worship Shar. She's a surface goddess!"

Oh god... who would openly admit to Shar worship so easily like that...

However, there is no real world deity called 'Shar' that the writer is encouraging you to start worshiping.
    Game world intact.
    The UI is a bit undercooked no doubt.. Hopefully it will be worked on a bit more, but I don't mind the overall aesthetic of the SoD UI
    edited April 2016
    Sort those and I think the bitching will stop and it's business and usual, beamdog will be walking on eggshells for awhile. But time heals all woulds(except Disabilities) and they should slowly get trust back. Too many "coincidence sjw" crap= everyone thinks there is a sjw agenda. Remove the coincidences to kill the agenda. I believe those tactics will work.

The UI is a bit undercooked no doubt.. Hopefully it will be worked on a bit more, but I don't mind the overall aesthetic of the SoD UI

I'll play it eventually to find out =P but apparently it's a very bug problem. Stat's are hidden and stuff and looks crap. That's all I know I haven't seen it yet.

Nah, don't remove the so-called "SJW content" intended or coincidental.

Like seriously, if we see more diverse characters, we're going to get more stories than we would get just telling stories about the people you specifically approve of.

And given time people will stop believing that such characters are somehow "hamfisted" or "shoehorned in" or part of some nebulous "SJW agenda." Because they will not be seen as unusual. It's really better for all of us - more stories, and in many cases more interesting stories.

I'm all for that, so where are the stories? When u start shovelling the sjw you need to start shovelling the interesting stories with it, which you are correct can happen. But be careful sjw more often divides and destroys gaming communities. It's very risky, safe route would be more Stories with minor sjw. At the moment we have no stories with medium to low sjw. It's a balance that many games struggle with.
  • br4zilbr4zil Member Posts: 24
    Dee said:

The Lead Designer for the project was Phillip Daigle. We didn't have a Lead Writer for this project.

(All of this is in the SoD credits, by the way.)

Then i shall gladly change the name of this thread. If its Phillip Daigle whos responsible, so be it.

And i cant check on SoD's credits because i dont own the DLC anymore, i refunded it (or have EE installed for that matter). Which rather supringly, since i am pretty sure i went over the time limit for refunds, but i suppose DLCs are diferent from games.

Anyway, so why people everywhere are gathering pitchforks against Amber Scott (myself included)? what role she did have on this? I remember news sites reporting she was to be the "lead writer" on SoD.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited April 2016
    Amber is our publishing and marketing coordinator, and the producer for The Familiar, Beamdog's official magazine app for CRPGs (any CRPG, not just Baldur's Gate). She is one of the members of the writing team, but in terms of directing the overall narrative, that's the role of the Lead Designer. As Andrew said at the beginning of this thread, the storyline was more or less solidified long before Amber joined the Beamdog team.

EDIT: As for why people are gathering pitchforks, I would guess it has something to do with an off-hand remark she made during an interview with Kotaku several months prior to the game's release, combined with an unrelated forum post she made in a discussion about representation in writing (both of which have been frequently mistaken to be responses to the game's release, which is incorrect).
  • br4zilbr4zil Member Posts: 24
    edited April 2016
    Dee said:

Amber is our publishing and marketing coordinator, and the producer for The Familiar, Beamdog's official magazine app for CRPGs (any CRPG, not just Baldur's Gate). She is one of the members of the writing team, but in terms of directing the overall narrative, that's the role of the Lead Designer. As Andrew said at the beginning of this thread, the storyline was more or less solidified long before Amber joined the Beamdog team.

EDIT: As for why people are gathering pitchforks, I would guess it has something to do with an off-hand remark she made during an interview with Kotaku several months prior to the game's release, combined with an unrelated forum post she made in a discussion about representation in writing (both of which have been frequently mistaken to be responses to the game's release, which is incorrect).

Done, changed my OP and will probably change my Steam thread when i have time.

Also, to the people who wants to discredit me as a "DM" or that i cant be a "writer", i would like to point that one of the greatest writers in the portuguese language is Fernando Pessoa, a guy who wrote a shitton of political/ideological poetry and prose and NEVER officially published any of his work, never getting paid for it.

Do i compare myself to someone like him? No, never i am #$%@ next to that.

Do i think anyone in the BG modding community, on average could write a better story than what Philip & Co. did?

Yes, that includes myself. I would also go on a whim and say that the average reader here at the forums could probably do a better job at it. I have read both on here and on Steam numerous ideas, some of them being really nice and some being really freaking common sense
    , common sense that apparently they didint had.

That is how low i consider the quality of SoD to be, it really feels as the people behind were almost 100% newbies at writing an adventure. Lets not kid ourselves here, SoD wasnt a brand new game on a brand new engine, sure, it had new artwork, but the story needed to be TOP notch, since it was the ONLY thing that Beamdog could shine on.

In fact, we have seen numerous examples of actual BETTER RPG writing from the community and by writing i just dont mean good grammar and such, i mean a RPG story structure, multi branch storyline, that sort of stuff.

The NPC Project mod for BG1, Secret of Bone Hill, Ascention for ToB, The Imoen Romance mod... the list goes on.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Dude, you have discredited yourself and your patrronizing attack on Amber is just sad now. Trying to shift over to Phillip Daigle is not going to hide anything.
  • SharShar Member Posts: 158

br4zil said:

As some might know, this is indeed a copy paste of the thread i made on the Steam forums. But i wanted to know what you guys here at the forums think.

I think a forklift that can only lift 3 tons sounds rather useless, and I don't think they design those anymore.
    Wrong im afraid a lot of electric ones have only have 1.5t...