Skip to content

A Question For The Ages

Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
edited April 2016 in Off-Topic
Hello friends. As you know I am a lover of philosophy. I have a philosophical dilemma for you all and I shall present it this:

Is a hot dog a sandwich?

You might say, do not be foolish of course not. After all a hot dog only has one piece of bread. But what of the open faced sandwich my worthy allies? For surely if we allow such things then a pizza or a burrito is certainly a sandwich also. I would be very interested to hear some discussion on this matter that is so vital to our society.
  1. A Question For The Ages45 votes
    1. Yes - A Hot Dog Is A Sandwich
      22.22%
    2. No - A Hot Dog Is Not A Sandwich
      77.78%

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    No. A sandwich must have at least two separate pieces of bread. /thread

;)
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550
    Why on earth would anyone mistake a rather good looking dachshund for a sandwich?
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597

No. A sandwich must have at least two separate pieces of bread. /thread

;)

A counterpoint my good chum: what if you are enjoying a tasty sandwich but you decide to use a fresh bread roll instead of sliced bread. Does it only become a sandwich if you slice all the way though or is it still a sandwich if you leave it "hinged" and therefore a single piece?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Diogenes42 You mean like a baguette? No, it is not a sandwich. I guess if you slice it all the way through it becomes a sandwich, or just a hastily prepared baguette.
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    Next Baldur's Gate controversy: Beamdog alludes to the fact that a hot dog isn't a sandwich (because it isn't) and the whole internet devolves into chaos.

In all seriousness, the term "hot dog" can mean a couple of things:

1. Cylindrical-shaped processed pork
    2. A hot dog in a bun with all the trimmings

A hot dog on two pieces of bread is just a hot dog sandwich, which is different. A hot dog wrapped in one piece of bread is known as a hot dog.
    I am loving all of your feedback friends. Some more questions for you two piece of bread devotees:

If a sandwich must have two pieces of bread, then is the humble open-faced sandwich then not a true sandwich?

The classic pie is constructed from two pieces of pastry, the bottom part and the lid with stuff in the middle. Is a pie then considered a sandwich?

A lasagne is a dish with a wheat based medium on the bottom, some meat and tomato filling and another layer of the wheat based medium on top. Does this mean that lasagne is then, a type of sandwich?
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Seems I'm not fluent in English at all. Shows what you know, all English teachers throughout the years!

I was under the delusion that slice of bread + thing(s) = sandwich.

So what then is the above? Most common meal there is and I don't even know the word for it :(

Seems I'm not fluent in English at all. Shows what you know, all English teachers throughout the years!

I was under the delusion that slice of bread + thing(s) = sandwich.

So what then is the above? Most common meal there is and I don't even know the word for it :(

In that case my friend, is this a hot dog or a sandwich?

In that case my friend, is this a hot dog or a sandwich?

The hot dog (aka sausage aka baloney aka wurst etc. etc.) is a hot dog, and the rest is a sandwich. So it's a hot dog sandwich. Or a sandwich hot dog. It depends in which order it chose to dual-class.
    To be clear my good fellows, for the purposes of this discussion when I say "hot dog" I am referring to a sausage in a bun, not the sausage itself.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    You mean... you guys can actually get a hotdog bun to work without accidentally ripping the joint?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited April 2016
    Two independant slices of bread with stuff in the middle is considered a sandwich.

Open face sandwiches are not sandwiches. Just a descripitive of what is being served (like a sandwich but only with the bottom slice). It is also used to show off the culinary skill of the maker, which would be hidden if it had a top slice.

So the picture above is a cooked wiener on white bread dressed with caramelized onions and what appears to be tomato chutney.

Lasagna isnt a sandwich because it uses noodles, not bread. Also the dish is topped with a layer of cheese making it lose out on the noodles sandwiching everything in the dish.
    A pie is not a sandwich because you are cooking the crust in an attempt to seal it together. When removed from the oven, the pieces are one.

Now, you can use sandwich as a verb which can muddle things. KFC's a double down is describe as cheese and bacon sandwiched between two pieces of their chicken. That doesn't make it a sandwich.
    If an open faced sandwich is not a sandwich, then what is it? A pizza?
    SethDavis said:

You mean... you guys can actually get a hotdog bun to work without accidentally ripping the joint?

You need fresher, higher quality buns good sir.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Now, now. We have to remember that döner kebabs are widely known as Turkish sandwiches, despite generally only consisting of a flatbread's piece. So I see no reason to disqualify the hot dog from being a sandwich as well. After all, saying otherwise would be buncism!
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited April 2016
    Edit. Irrelevant
  • TheElfTheElf Member Posts: 798

If an open faced sandwich is not a sandwich, then what is it? A pizza?

An abomination. But they're called sandwiches for convenience, just because they basically are, but the sandwich eater decided to cheat a bit. Maybe they're going low on carbs, or they only had one slice of bread.

If a hot dog is allowed to be a sandwich then the gyro will get in too, and soon every time we eat both meat and bread in one sitting it will be a sandwich. And I doubt anyone wants to live in that world.
    ... I still don't know what 75% of my meals are then, since they're apparently not sandwiches, what with there only being one piece of bread. Do I really always have to describe them as "slice of bread with X"? If so the English language truly is terrible :open_mouth:
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Hot dogs are gross, that is the only thing I need to know.

... I still don't know what 75% of my meals are then, since they're apparently not sandwiches, what with there only being one piece of bread. Do I really always have to describe them as "slice of bread with X"? If so the English language truly is terrible :open_mouth:

To me friend, they are sandwiches. Does the act of making a slice in the bread fundamentally change its nature as opposed to simply folding it? I say it does not.
  • ChnapyChnapy Member Posts: 360
    edited April 2016
    While I did vote No because that is how I perceive hot-dog, as in some sort of grey area between sandwichdom and this class of food for which I can't even find a name in english, encompassing butterbrote and bruschette,
    I wish to acknowledge that I believe the true nature of a food product is always, by its very nature, open to interpretations, and that these must take into account more than just its physical nature at the time at which it is observed.

Surely if a renowned sandwich-maker were to make me a hot-dog, I would consider it a sandwich, for what other name could I give to such a man (or woman)'s work?
    But what if the man (or woman) afterward informs me that he views this particular part of his oeuvre not as a sandwich, but as a pizza?

This puts in perspective that a hot-dog is much more, in fact, than just a hot-dog. A hot-dog is a hot-dog is a hot-god, as once didn't write Gertrude Stein (but she totally could have, it just so happened that she wrote it about a rose). The hot-dog is both the physical object and its projection in our mind, triggered by seeing (or indeed, eating) the "physical" hot-dog. We cannot hope to fully define what a hot-dog is in a way that will transcend our mind and reach those of others because part of the hot dog IS in our mind.
    If I neglect to slice and instead roll up a pizza, does it become a burrito?
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I like burritos. And pizza. And sandwiches. And hot dogs. ...I'm hungry.

If I neglect to slice and instead roll up a pizza, does it become a burrito?

It becomes a Calzone.
    Is a calzone a pie?

Is a calzone a pie?

No since a pie is a dish. As in, the bottom piece is a cup that is filled with whatever, while the top crust (if it even gets a top crust, just covers it.

With a calzone, it starts off flat (like a burrito) and the ingredients are rolled, or folded. over onto each other. There is no dish shape to form the calzone (or burrito).
  • AutequiAutequi Member Posts: 403
    Not everything wrapped in bread is a sandwich. A hot dog, like the hamburger, is in its own category.
    Ok, how is a hamburger not a sandwich?