Skip to content

A Question For The Ages

Comments

• lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    When my daughter place a sausage ring and a bit of cheese between two slices of cucumber. That is a sandwich!
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The reality of the matter is that we do not decide what is, and what is not, a sandwich based on logical criteria. Like the definition of all words, we make a gut judgment on it. Definitions don't actually follow rules.

1. Is a hamburger a sandwich?
    2. If not, is a chicken sandwich--which is a hamburger with chicken instead of beef--a sandwich?
    3. If yes, is an ice cream sandwich a sandwich?
    4. If yes, does a hamburger remain a sandwich if its bun is replaced by a slab of meat (this is a real food item in America)?

If you say a hot dog is not a sandwich because it has one piece of bread, then see the following:

4. If you put a sausage between two slices of bread and staple them together, does it therefore become a hot dog?
    5. Is a subway sandwich--which, like a hot dog, has only a single piece of bread--a sandwich?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    One more question: why did I spend two minutes of my limited lifespan discussing the proper definition of a sandwich?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    A hamburger is a sandwich.

An icecream sandwich is a sandwich as well: bread - icecream - bread (baked dough = bread)

4. no, it is no longer a sandwich once the baked dough is removed.

why would you staple two slices of bread?

5. It is a single piece of bread, cut in two.

The last question: so you can understand the world slightly better.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    I wish there was a third option my friend, because my answer is that nothing is a sandwich which was not held in the hands of John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich, which means that while no hot dog was ever held in his hands, certainly a time traveler going back in time could grant unto him a hot dog which, when placed firmly in his hand(s) and devoured would transform itself into "a sandwich" in that very moment, as would an open-faced sandwich, a slice of pizza or a burrito.

I deny aristocratic titles their hold on the culinary appellations I employ at all times, but he can have the word for himself.
  • AutequiAutequi Member Posts: 403
    By virtue of distinction.

Just as the spiritual Monk is set apart from the Fighter class, complete with its own kits thereof, so is the meaty Hamburger set apart from Sandwich category.

An ice cream sandwich is also not a sandwich.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806

Seems I'm not fluent in English at all. Shows what you know, all English teachers throughout the years!

I was under the delusion that slice of bread + thing(s) = sandwich.

So what then is the above? Most common meal there is and I don't even know the word for it :(

This question for English-speaking still stands: what do you call a single slice of bread with things on it?

(the Dutch word would be 'boterham', though it has nothing it doesn't necessarily have to have butter and ham on it, could as well be margarine and cheese, or peanut butter, or hummus, or whatever you want).
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173
    I wouldn't call anything with a sausage in it a sandwich. But that's just me.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I cannot be caged. I cannot be controlled!

I know some will undoubtedly consider me a sandwich justice warrior for this, but I don't care. I stand by my sandwiches.

Know Thy Sandwich

I present to you Hammy, level 3 dual-class ham/cheese sandwich, and Strawbs, level 1 strawberry jam sandwich. They're about to embark on a short journey that will no doubt end in their demise.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597
    Those are pizzas my friend.
  • BGLoverBGLover Member Posts: 550

I cannot be caged. I cannot be controlled!

I know some will undoubtedly consider me a sandwich justice warrior for this, but I don't care. I stand by my sandwiches.

Please. Enough!

I am absolutely fed up with all you '2 bread and filler in between' fanatics dictating what I can and can't call a sandwich. If I want to make a sandwich with a single soft roll, taking care not to slice through the hinge, I will! If I want to get a lump of mechanically separated meat and stick it in a roll and call it a hot-dog sandwich I darn well will*

When I was a boy I used to eat jellied eels. Now my high street is full of sandwich shops and subway chains and high falutin' hotels serving dainty little triangle cut sandwiches on bone china plates.

Enough I say!

I want my pie 'n' mash jellied eel shop back. You can take your sandwich justice warrior rubbish and stick it in the bread bin!

(*I realise this goes against my earlier espoused views, but I have just discovered that whilst sandwiches are exempt from sales taxes here in Europe, hot dogs are not, and this question has therefore assumed rather greater importance than I first thought. The fact that I have just received a rather large donation from the 'Hot Dogs are indeed Sandwiches' Campaign has absolutely nothing to do with my damascene change of mind)

• lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108

Those are pizzas my friend.

I hope none of our italian friends saw your statement there.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    In where I live it is called "baguette sandwich".
    So if its name is "hotdog sandwich" it is a sandwich.
    But hotdog is hotdog and sandwich made with something then it is sandwich, i.e. Toast sandwich.
    Umm come to think of it, "corndog" is called "hotdog" here, very confusing heh.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Autequi said:

Not everything wrapped in bread is a sandwich. A hot dog, like the hamburger, is in its own category.

The hamburger is a sandwich.
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    edited April 2016

In that case my friend, is this a hot dog or a sandwich?

That's no dog (neither hot nor cold) at all, that's a sausage.

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited April 2016
    What if you take your open-faced sandwich, and fold it over in the middle, in order to eat more neatly, without dropping the ingredients onto yourself? Isn't that quantitatively the same as eating a half of a sandwich, except perhaps with double helpings of the non-bread elements?

I think a "sandwich" is qualitatively meant to be "bread holding something else that would be very messy to eat in the hands, without utensils, unless one holds it in the hands using the bread."

The default "sandwich" is a finger food using two separate pieces of bread to hold the interior ingredients, ranging widely from cheese to raw vegetables to meats to peanut butter and on and on with countless variations of other flavoring ingredients. But the broad concept contains subsets of types and variations. The "open-faced sandwich" uses one piece of bread instead of two. The "hot dog" specifically contains a pork sausage of the type that is called a "wiener", inside a split oblong bun with toppings that typically include mustard, ketchup, relish, and sometimes onions, cheese, and/or chili. The "hamburger" is a specific type of sandwich made with a split round bun containing a ground beef patty, and toppings that typically include mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise or other flavored and spiced oil-based sauces, with optional toppings that include pickles, onions, cheese, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, and lettuce.

Is a pizza a sandwich? I'll group it with the pie family, since the non-bread ingredients are actually baked into the crust in an oven. Also, in English language, we often call it a "pizza pie", but never a "pizza sandwich". Extending on this theme, I would posit that any food that bakes its ingredients into a bread product does not qualify as a sandwich. A sandwich has its ingredients placed into the bread *after* the bread has been baked, and that is a definitive difference between a sandwich and a pie or cake.

A "roll-up" then probably qualifies as a sandwich, as long as the ingredients are rolled into the pita or other bread product after the bread has already been baked. Heating up a sandwich after it's made does not change its status as a sandwich.

I'd like to add that if your "sandwich" is one of the commonly eaten (in America) specific types of sandwiches, you will confuse your reader or listener as to exactly what food you are thinking of if you do not use the name of its specific type. If you say "I am eating a sandwich", when you are actually eating a hot dog, a hamburger, a wrap, a taco, or a burrito, your audience will confuse your meaning to be the default meaning of "sandwich" as "two pieces of bread containing other ingredients that would be messy to eat in the hands unless held in the bread". So, if you are eating a sandwich of a particular type, you need to use the name of that specific food item.
  • Diogenes42Diogenes42 Member Posts: 597

In that case my friend, is this a hot dog or a sandwich?

That's no dog (neither hot nor cold) at all, that's a sausage.

In bread, which is a hot dog, which is a sandwich.
    I stand by sandwich as a term with no referrant outside of things held in the hands of John Montagu. I have never in my life eaten a sandwich, but nearly every item mentioned in this thread in both for and against columns, when eaten without utensils by John Montagu, would have been a sandwich. The term has a broad definition that includes pizza in my opinion, but no one should use it because it is one more thing named after an aristocrat/aristocratic title and we need to move away from top-down hegemony both in terms of economics, politics and the nomenclature of our foods.

¡Viva la Revolución!
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    @Autequi A hamburger is a sandwich. The sandwich justice warriors claiming otherwise are wrong.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    I'm surprised that the thread has made it to a second page. This was resolved by science years ago.

Sandwich is operationally defined as bread surrounding an edible center and, in a study of 60 Hot Dog stands in New York City, 58 of them sold items called 'hot dogs' that were composed of bread and more or less edible centers. Hot dogs are sandwiches. It's science.

Now someone steeped in postmodern fibbertygibber might argue that I have done nothing more than transform a contestible position into an operational definition which lends my argument a veneer of scientific legitimacy and wins the argument only by slight of hand. But such a critique would distract us from an important point: I have won the argument. Me. I win.
    I'm going to start referring to eating as "Englanding" so I can say I england my sandwich and have two aristocratic titles in any sentence where I refer to eating something edible between or wrapped in bread. I mean, sure no King or Queen of England invented eating, but neither did any Earl of Sandwich invent eating stuff inside of bread so I figure I'm safe to stack the privilege of hereditary fame and wealth into a sentence as many times as possible until all of my language is just referring to some titular slice of geography.

Anyway, I'm off to england a dover or two, I might end up englanding a couple languedocs if I'm still feeling hungry. I'm saving the transylvanias I have in the fridge to england tomorrow though.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

I'm going to start referring to eating as "Englanding" so I can say I england my sandwich and have two aristocratic titles in any sentence where I refer to eating something edible between or wrapped in bread. I mean, sure no King or Queen of England invented eating, but neither did any Earl of Sandwich invent eating stuff inside of bread so I figure I'm safe to stack the privilege of hereditary fame and wealth into a sentence as many times as possible until all of my language is just referring to some titular slice of geography.

Anyway, I'm off to england a dover or two, I might end up englanding a couple languedocs if I'm still feeling hungry. I'm saving the transylvanias I have in the fridge to england tomorrow though.

You should make your sandwich by putting one of Lord Salsbury's steaks between two slices of bread.
    englanding a salsbury sandwhich is the most france idea I've denmark'd all week!
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875

lolien said:

I'm so hungary from all this talk.

You want a turkey sandwich?
    Only if it's open-faced.
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    This question is like to be or not to be ? it not a question one can answer without question it first