Skip to content

Alternate NPC and PC portraits... just because! :P

Comments

• FrecheFreche Member Posts: 473

Would someone be willing to "Baldurize" this pic of Taylor Swift? Perhaps adding a quiver and/or bow to turn her into an archer?

Would make a great mage if baldurized, with that red glow.
    Was thinking that could be Neera when I saw it a couple of pages back.
  • Syntia13Syntia13 Member Posts: 514
    @SamuelVarg Nice one, I like the color scheme. :)
    I think that helmet/circlet should be much darker, since it's shadowed by the hood, same as half of Ed's face, but otherwise it's great. Speaking as a person who struggles with drawing/coloring metal, I say: Well Done, Sir. :)
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    @Syntia13

Thanks for great input.

In my head he read background is a symbol for Bhaals blod that CHARNAME and maybe not a reflecting light. So it depends on the source of the light.

I think what he is wearing is a tiara, of sort, made of silver. So maybe it should reflect a little red orange from the gloving stones from his bracers?

Just playing with thoughts ...
  • FlashheartFlashheart Member Posts: 125
    Generic Man mixed with Keldorn to produce an 'older' generic man.

photo DKELMANL_zps4e8df573.png
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Can someone modify this pic, making the subject less naive and more serious/evil? Thanks

• EntropyXIIEntropyXII Member Posts: 656
    @SpaceInvader - It's art matey, and it belongs to somebody. I wouldn't mess with somebody's work unless you have permission.
    @EntropyXII Also BG/BGII/BG:EE portraits belong to someone, but I doubt a request for permission has been made for every modification.
    I got your point and I agree with you to a certain point.
    But I don't see any harm if somebody puts a picture on a public site and that same picture gets modified for a private use (without making money out of it).
    edited June 2013
    @SpaceInvader - I would agree if the painting wasn't signed. That usually is a surefire message of "This is mine, leave it alone."

Most artists do not mind you using their images for non-commercial private use, myself included - I would still ask though. There are other artists who do not like it at all. There are some on DeviantArt and other art websites who I have seen defending their work quite passionately. There is an artist named 'Nathie' on DeviantArt who has a disclaimer on all pieces of her work.

Follow this link: http://nathie.deviantart.com/art/Decipere-308934623 to see what I mean.

I remember I had a portrait posted up on the NWN Vault some years ago, and a month or so later I had found a carbon copy of my image uploaded onto the vault, but with slight changes (Red eyes, different background). I don't normally get annoyed about these things, but I couldn't help but think: "He could have asked me first the cheeky git". I had the vault remove it. I felt a bit petty, but I had worked hard on that image and it felt like somebody had just drawn a mustache on my own 'Mona Lisa' and then take credit for it. A little bit of courtesy can go a long way - all he had to do was ask or give me some credit.

Copyright can be a serious thing and unless you want to run the risk of angering somebody, all I can suggest is asking them first. Artists don't usually care that people use their work for personal use but it can a different issue altogether if the art is changed in any way.
    edited June 2013
    Ok but if you want to take credit for a hypothetical picture, then a simple request won't change much. The modified version will travel through the Internet and none will know which one is the original version.
    I perfectly understand the point of view of the artist that would like some kind appreciation for his work.
    But the fact someone wants to use/modify the picture is already an implicit appreciation.
    That's why if you had a Mona Lisa, you would make sure no one can steal it ;)
    Anyway, this thread is already full of modification requests.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited June 2013

Willow from Buffy the Vampire Slayer looks exactly like Imoen.

(Alyson Hannigan)

@RogueParadin You aren't the first to notice...

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/3943/best-imoen-portrait/p4

imageimage
  • CronatosCronatos Member Posts: 44
    I've spent some time building a collection of portraits. Since there are so many, and I would likely use so few, I decided to be very picky about which I added. And, I might as well share them I think. These are my top 12 that I've found.

First 5 I found from this thread/forum, that I'll also upload in this post for completeness:

imageimageimageimageimage

5 are from the Magic 2013 game:

imageimageimageimageimage

1 is the Fallout:New Vegas poster boy:

And the last I found while wandering the internet. Original source is here, I think: http://nekro.cgsociety.org/gallery/902122/

imageimage
    Today I have a doubled wild mage, for your viewing pleasure (or scorn, as the case may be).

(you can get a much bigger version at http://syntia13.deviantart.com/art/Neera-then-and-now-377669004)

I used the original picture as a base to paint the portrait nearly from scratch - I kept the bracer and the leathery... corset?... thingy, because I like its ornate look. Red robe to match Neera's in-game look, and Shield Amulet, because I hadn't tired of showing it off yet. ;P
    That's better.. The default Neera is odd. The coloring and lack of detail is odd. The clothing on your revision as well as hands and staff are good. I still don't like her face, it seems to still be missing too much detail to me
    I always thought Neera's portrait matched the original Baldur's Gate standard very well. Each to their own I guess.

I always thought Neera's portrait matched the original Baldur's Gate standard very well. Each to their own I guess.

Yes it does, however, I much prefer the more developed Baldur's Gate 2 style

@EntropyXII

Oh, yes, the BG:EE portraits do fit in among BG1 ones very well. The thing is, I prefer BG2-ish look, and I'm redoing as many BG1 portraits in this style as I can, mostly for my own use; In my current game all my companions have a new look, including Rasaad. Since I plan to run with Neera in my party next, I needed a new look for her as well.

@smeagolheart

I still don't like her face, it seems to still be missing too much detail to me

Um... there's one nose, one mouth, two eyes and two eyebrows... what else is needed? (This may not sound like it, but it's a serious question).

@Syntia13 just more detail.
    Compare : image

You can see veins on the face and furrows of muscles underneath, more developed eyebrows, *battle/travel scars, even more shading of the facial regions..

*some people like them, some don't

Again, your portrait is a huge improvement over the original in my opinion
    @smeagolheart Oh, I see. While some of the attributes you mention come from Keldorn being much older, experienced and a man, I understand what you mean. Unfortunately, at this point in time my skills and knowledge of human face are not sufficient to do any better than I did without life-like reference.
    There is an awesome on-line course teaching about drawing human faces that I keep meaning to go through; hopefully one day I will, and (again hopefully) I will then be able to add more nuances to faces I draw. :)
    @Syntia13 @smeagolheart - I prefer the BG2 portraits also, but I also love the lighting on the original BG portraits. It is something BG2 sorely lacked.

Whereas the faces were of the highest quality in BG2 there was a habit of re-using the same 'cloudy blue sky' background - which I hated.

My favourite portrait in the entire series of BG was Sarevok's portrait. It combined the beautiful lighting of BG1 with the intricacies and detail of BG2. I have tried to model my own portraits off this example.

Don't be too hard on yourself @Syntia13 - I like your work. I do however think that you should be a bit more liberal with your shadows and definition lines. Some contrasting darker colours would really bring your work to life.

Also do you use textured brushes? I find those really help in providing a life-like effect to skin. Skin is never one base colour. I plan on uploading a tutorial at some point of you're interested?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    That new Neera one, I thought that was a gender-swap portrait, it looks a bit..less feminine, almost like a girly elf dude-like. Shield amulet and robe color are very nice touches, though. I love the original portrait, Neera looks so innocent, serene and cute (love those almond eyes!) she definitely should have had a CHA score higher than 11. I guess she can be a little rash, and may talk quite bluntly but still..
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    Yeah, the new npcs portraits are really unfitting in BG2. It takes some photoshopping. Here's my BG2 Neera.
    @Pecca looks really nice, do you have a large version of it too ?
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    edited June 2013
    @Freche: Unfortunately no. I only make small ones for GUI panel. I don't care much for the character screen portraits.
    Ahh I see. I agree the small one is most important, just my ocd that wants both looking the same ;>
  • the_tamathe_tama Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys, would someone be willing to "Baldurize" this pic for my pc elf? Thanks! :)
This discussion has been closed.