Skip to content

Which new character is your favourite?

Comments

• SecriaSecria Member Posts: 85
    @Quartz I think at best I'll probably enjoy it like bad fan-fiction hilarity.
  • mrhedgehogmrhedgehog Member Posts: 14
    Dorn <3
    I hope you can romance him.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited November 2012
    @mrhedgehog They're all romanceable. One (dude) is bi. Overhaul really should put that on Dorn and Rasaad's character pages instead of only advertising Neera as a love interest. =/
    Post edited by Jalily on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I really will only have any preference after I've seen them in game. But I must say I liked to know there would be a monk an an wild mage NPC. Now we need a Barbarian :)
  • drsahldrsahl Member Posts: 65
    I think Neera looks most interesting but it might change once I see them ingame :)
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2012
    @Secria While your post is highly amusing, I'm starting to get sick of the fact that every last post you make is so full of negative energy. Xan rub off on you?

@mrhedgehog Yes you can.

@Jalily Seriously yes, whenever someone new joins they ask that question, and I can't blame them at all. On Overhaul's part, as it stands it's just misleading and bad advertising.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I'm interested in Dorn the most. Though mirroring what @Secria and @Quartz have said, his story did not inspire a great amount of confidence in me. I hope that's simply a representative of a very young Dorn who... improves with age.

Honestly, my female Assassin just wants an evil romance option =P.

(Yeah, I know Anomen is secretly evil, but he doesn't really count).

I'm interested in Dorn the most. Though mirroring what @Secria and @Quartz have said, his story did not inspire a great amount of confidence in me. I hope that's simply a representative of a very young Dorn who... improves with age.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping too, and it seems like a legitimate hope really. His motives should become more clear and such.
    edited November 2012
    I actually think it's telling that all the stories seemed to take place when the characters were quite young. Whether it's telling because they're crude stereotypes who have the same mentalities as when they were children or because it's a snapshot of their origins from which they later matured remains to be seen. I have some faith in the team, so I will wait and see.
    Post edited by Eudaemonium on
  • salierisalieri Member Posts: 245
    I'd be more excited about Rasaad if monk avatars didn't look so rubbish.
    @salieri Haha true, at least his portrait is pretty legit though!

I thought his story was definitely the best. Dorn's was awful, Neera's was kinda ehh. And while Rasaad's was a bit stereotype-y too, I felt like it had some flavor.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    What? Oh man I was looking forward to Dorn. He's the only new NPC tat interests me at all, because of the class.
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    edited November 2012
    I wouldn't call out my favorite yet, but one that has my interest? Dorn Il-Khan, of course.

I remember falling in love with the Chaotic nature of Qara (NWN 2), she was true to her alignment, not like certain tieflings that're supposedly chaotic neutral but still tend towards good.

But of course, I wouldn't know if these new characters would become my favorite unless I've actually had them in my party and see how they react to my decisions.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Neera.. she'll be a fine addition to my all-female party :P
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I still don't see how we would know until the game came out...
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    edited November 2012
    based on the info given...
    until i've played them i can't answer this question
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    edited November 2012
    I guess I'll know once I play. I don't think I can really have an opinion now without having played as them. Some characters sound really good on paper, but can be really irritating to have in a party, and others don't sound like anything special, but have become my favorites of all time. I'll experiment with all three when I play BG EE and go from there.
  • DreyyDreyy Member Posts: 118
    Gotta be Dorn for me, ive been wanting an evil charecter as an NPC for awhile who wasnt too... i am unsure on the word i'm looking for, i guess an Evil NPC who wasnt too arragont and was evil from circumstance rather than evil for the sake of being evil, his his own person and has his own troubles and you feel comftable having him at your back but he still gives off the vibe of "Dont mess with me" and i can respect that. He has his own agender but aslong as both your intrests are centred and theres plenty of bloodletting to be had he will be a powerful ally.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Kenji said:

I wouldn't call out my favorite yet, but one that has my interest? Dorn Il-Khan, of course. [...]

But of course, I wouldn't know if these new characters would become my favorite unless I've actually had them in my party and see how they react to my decisions.

Agreed. I'm surprised to hear so many people having such strong opinions about the new characters before the game has even come out. All we know about them is from the three short stories that take place in their childhoods, their portraits, and the sample soundsets. Talk about putting the cart before the horse!
  • SecriaSecria Member Posts: 85
    @Quartz I guess I can only apologize. While things I say may sound super negative, don't let it bring you down. I'm actually really happy most of the time and very excited about the game, even if it turns out really crappy, I'll still like it. I'll just laugh at it. Forget about it. I make fun of things around me and tease all the time, but I don't hate anything or anybody. There's not a day when I'm not smiling. But I don't hold back on my honest feelings and I don't keep my worries or criticism deep down.

We both agree as I understand, that these stories could all be so much better. I mean as hard as I try, I don't really feel interested, in the way I'm supposed to.

But I already pre-ordered so they can feed me whatever they feel like now!
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265

Why does Dorn the Half-Orc have a Dwarven name? Face palm.

I'm not too familiar with naming conventions in the Sword Coast, but Dorn Il-Khan sounds orcish to me *shrug*

Anyway, I'm voting for Dorn, he's such a badass. And his voice sends me into a euphoric state.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited November 2012

I'm not too familiar with naming conventions in the Sword Coast, but Dorn Il-Khan sounds orcish to me *shrug*
    To me it sounds Mongolian...

Post edited by mch202 on
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited November 2012

Anyway, I'm voting for Dorn, he's such a badass. And his voice sends me into a euphoric state.
    I think @HaHaCharade may have been referring to how Dorn's Deep in IWD was named after a Dwarf, making "Dorn" a Dwarven name.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Kortok said:

Korgan is my favorite character in the whole BG saga. Dorn looks the most interesting of the three new chars. Can't wait to get him and Korgan paired up in BG2.

Kagain was one of my favorites from BG1 until he joined a gym, had a voice change, and became Korgan.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    edited November 2012

Yeah - See "Dorn's Deep". A Dwarven stronghold found in the Icewind Dale region.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dorn's_Deep

Also, there's this guy from Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II named Dorn as well.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dorn_Redbear

Last but not least, there's this guy...

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dorn_Graybrook

So anyway, maybe it's a common name. I'm sure "Edwin" isn't the only human in the realms. Still, it seems to cross races LOL. I just think something more original could have been come up with. Oh well.

• MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited November 2012
    I think i'm gonna wait to play with them first.

Er, i mean play with them in-game.

Um, not PLAY with them, but use them.

Oh forget it! >_<
  • XylusXylus Member Posts: 6
    Neera, mostly because she's a mage and probably the only female romancable character in BGEE.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    They should make Neb a recruitable NPC.
  • VedwintheTyrantVedwintheTyrant Member Posts: 50
    When is Fall-from-Grace going to show up? Or someone with a back story deeper than something-bad-happened-and-I-had-to-run-away-and-become-an-adventurer?
    None of the BG characters were ever really as deep as the PS:T ones (at least IMO). I actually found BG2 really disappointing the first time I played it because it seemed such a step down from PS:T. I later learnt to appreciate it on its own terms, but I still consider it vastly inferior in terms of characterisation. The appeal in BG for me is the exploration and adventure, rather than the plot or deep characterisation.