Skip to content

What, in your HUMBLE opinion, would you like to see Beamdog take on next?

1235»

Comments

• BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I think disliking the Planescape UI is a pretty valid aesthetic choice. I certainly don't love it (been playing it this past week).
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    edited May 2016

I think disliking the Planescape UI is a pretty valid aesthetic choice. I certainly don't love it (been playing it this past week).

Torment is my favourite Black Isle game, and among the best RPGs I've ever played. I am also of the opinion the UI is in need of an overhaul moreso than Baldur's Gate or SoA/ToB ever were, and yet I like the UI overhaul for BG...so to me it's a no-brainer to clean up the Torment UI and make it half-way functional and a little less ugly.

And like, I own Torment and the unenhanced editions of the BG games on GOG.com, so if I ever really want to dive into "the authentic experience" I had as a kid, I can. So too can whoever doesn't want to see a game patched and balanced better than when it was last supported in the 90s/early 00s, so I don't see how "Beamdog don't make an EE" follows from "I want to play versions of this game readily accessible for purchase on the internet that aren't enhanced", but I guess some people like to have their toys be the only version of their toys?

It's like someone complaining that any Transformers toys were made when these were just fine, and their collection of Diaclone and Micro Change toys is somehow invalidated by the existence of Transformers as a toy line.

Like, no, go play with your old toys all you want, and let other people have new toys cast from the same mold of higher quality if they want. It won't make your old toys vanish if other people buy new toys.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    In fact I have played a bit of Baldur's Gate old school while waiting for my new video card to arrive. It's still fun but I want to get back into my EE playthrough 'cause I was doing Neera stuff.

Fun fact: If your video card dies and you're stuck with VGA emulation, you can in fact run an EE game (at least Icewind Dale:EE) from GOG but it will take like five minutes for characters to walk an inch.

However, you cannot run EEs (at least BG:EE and BG2:EE) from Steam at all.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited May 2016
    Ps:T is probably the best game I've ever played in almost all aspects: it's fighting playability sucks. Combat in that game is disgusting (probably the game with the best fighting playability is League of Legends or a heavy-modded BGT, Edit: or Pillars of Eternity... I played very little but loved the combat so far!), just because it's simply not fun. If they changed how the combat worked in Ps:T it would be the best game ever, since it's music, ambient and writing are amazing. Maybe the graphics could get updated as well, not that I have anything against them but I think this game should deserve more.

Also, when I say the best game ever: I'm biased af when it comes to videogames. No matter what anyone could argue you won't be able to convince me.
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    I answered wrong. Either Planescape:Torment or a new 5e game. 2e is pretty dated by now.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    Zilber said:

I answered wrong. Either Planescape:Torment or a new 5e game. 2e is pretty dated by now.

BG3 will likely be in 5e according to a recent interview with Trent Oster and Phillip Daigle.
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253

Zilber said:

BG3 will likely be in 5e according to a recent interview with Trent Oster and Phillip Daigle.
    Nice! I have no issues in using the Baldur's Gate name for a new game, basically BG2 had little to do with the city of Baldur's gate anyway.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Zilber said:

Zilber said:

Nice! I have no issues in using the Baldur's Gate name for a new game, basically BG2 had little to do with the city of Baldur's gate anyway.
    Just watch. Baldur's Gate 3: Mysteries of Waterdeep. :tongue:
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    I am probably wishing for the moon from the sky, but I'd love anything in PS, BG or even NWN universe incorporating - Valen Shadowbreath!

I do believe we have David Gaider's penmanship to thank for Valen in any case, even if I am ignorant who'd own the IP - BW, Atari or some other party.

Now that I finally managed my countless will and fortitude saves against Valsharess, and could play the whole romance through I was most keenly reminded what interesting CHAR Valen is.

To me, the pity of all this is that Valen was created for a fairly short expansion and in an era where most of the dialogue was not voiced. I think he'd definitely would deserve more! As well as the amazing voice actor of his, Fred Zbryski, IMO.
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    Siege of Dragonspear left some opened ended stuff that needs finishing. I wanted to finish those loose ends
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028

lordkim said:

Iwe said it once... I said it twice !!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is by far the most obvious thing :

Problem is, Dragonlance is a low-magic setting. Forgotten Realms is a very very magic-heavy setting, and Bioware *still* turned it up to 11 with the absurd numbers of enchanted items and high-level Magic available to players. (Didn't Mystra bar 10th level magic after the fall of Netheril??)

I don't know if a team descended from Bioware people has the discipline to work with a low-magic setting.
    That would actually be interesting I think. After all the Realms games, and DDO, playing one that's a little more mundane except for the spell casters would be a different thing to enjoy all together. And it would make playing a supportive character a bit more important I feel, since magical support would be needed to over-come the lack of normal magic items, and make getting that +1 Longsword an actual event, not a quick stop to the item shop.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Interesting to be sure. But it takes a fair amount of discipline to use the necessarily light touch. Magic is such a tempting resource when building a world. But it can be done, and I would personally play the hell out of it.
  • enhancedgamerxenhancedgamerx Member Posts: 90
    Sorry for necroing an old post but I just felt like I had to come in and mention how you guys totally called it with your votes, PST:EE being the reality now. I wonder if this poll will hold true for the future and we will see "something else" next, as it was a quite close runner-up. A new, original intellectual property mayhaps? Or a sequel to one of the EE franchies that isn't yet tied to a knot with the plot?
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    A new DnD game that uses the Infinity Engine style if not the engine itself. A deep look into all that it did right is in order.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I would love an original ip. Bg's story is well and truly closed, and should be put to rest. They don't really need new content besides some small touches to make BG2 acknowledge that SoD happened. Failing that, am IWD2EE would be pretty great.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    It's time for something new... even if it's in a D&D world...
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    Though call between IWD2EE and Something else. Why not both IWD2EE AND new game?
  • enhancedgamerxenhancedgamerx Member Posts: 90
    edited May 2017
    What would you guys think about a new and original non-DnD RPG? Maybe even something away from the medieval fantasy setting? Despite being a huge fantasy and DnD fan, I still do love Fallout / Wasteland kind of games too and wouldn't be against such a prospect.