Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    NWN1 was Trent's baby. Obsidian took NWN2 in a direction he didn't approve of (trying to make it more BG-like). Trent always saw NWN as a multi-player game first and foremost, as he says in his posts.
    ThacoBellShapiroKeatsDarkMageSjerrie
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    DrakeICN said:

Something I would play and pay good money for is Gorion stories, the prequel to BG. Yes, you would hafta pick Gorion as your main, and the outcome is already set, so what? Make it in the style of Demon Stone - that game is sooooo underappreciated.

P.S. I know I already asked this, but it keeps bugging me; why did BD chose NWNEE over NWN2EE? NWN is an incredible stable engine that almost never crashes, so it does not need an EE and whatever you do that is anything but nerfing knockdown and removing 6 APR is shit, because knockdown and 6 APR is game breaking. The only thing that could save NWN is to throw out the 3E D&D rules and replace with Divinity: Original Sin rules or something else that is not broken by design.

NWN2 however, is unplayable because it crashes every five minutes and is ugly as sin. If there were e'er a game in need of an EE, it would be that. Except of course, Arcanum is an order of magnitude more interesting than any NWN whatever, but I mean, if you're going to stick with D&D it would be NWN2.

3E haters gonna hate.
    kanisathahelmo1977
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Cvijeta said:

Fardragon said:

There isn't a sad-face sad enough to express how little enthusiasm I have for an Axis and Allies game. Or any game with an emphasis on multiplayer.

Well, I won't buy it either and have no interest in it. But they did bought the domain with A&A name a while back and maybe it's now too late to abandon that project.
    Or, there are a lot of people who would love such a game and pay good money for it (myself included), and so it is a very good business decision for Beamdog.
    There may be a lot of people out there who would love a game I can't remotely see the appeal of. After all, I can't remotely see the appeal of FIFA Soccer. The trouble is, are there a lot of people in here who would love it? Beamdog's past history has been one of reconditioning old fantasy games. They have no track record for multiplayer WW2 boardgames. If the game has a different target demographic to those who currently follow Beamdog they are going to be at Square One when it comes to marketing. And I don't think they have the funds for an expensive campaign.
    ThacoBellhelmo1977
  • helmo1977helmo1977 Member Posts: 364
    Yes, I cant understand that "mortal jump". Going from role playing games to small tactics WW II games is not a small step. It is like deciding you are going to take on football because you play soccer, imo.

Most potential buyers here perhpas dont like that kind of games, so they will need to advertise the game very well, and convince small strategy gamers to come to an old RPGs forum.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Fardragon said:

There may be a lot of people out there who would love a game I can't remotely see the appeal of. After all, I can't remotely see the appeal of FIFA Soccer. The trouble is, are there a lot of people in here who would love it? Beamdog's past history has been one of reconditioning old fantasy games. They have no track record for multiplayer WW2 boardgames. If the game has a different target demographic to those who currently follow Beamdog they are going to be at Square One when it comes to marketing. And I don't think they have the funds for an expensive campaign.

WotC will help with the marketing just like it helped BKOM studios with Tome of Annihilation's marketing. They are invested in seeing this product succeed as much as Beamdog.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    deltago said:

Fardragon said:

WotC will help with the marketing just like it helped BKOM studios with Tome of Annihilation's marketing. They are invested in seeing this product succeed as much as Beamdog.
    WotC isn't helping with a game that has no relationship with their products...
    FardragonShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063

Please not Ravenloft. Vampires are so so boring and tacky.

I think you're confusing Vampires with twilight.
    I already felt this way about vampires years before Twilight was a thing. The entire aesthetic is tacky and overdone.
    The ones in BG2 are only tolerable because they exchanged the gaudy wannabe goth style for ancient egyptian style.
    SethDavis said:

What about death knights? I could always go for more Soth
    I don't know who that is, but anything but vampires.
    Just read this !!!

WHAT !!!!!!!!!!
    lordkim said:

I think you're confusing Vampires with twilight.
    I already felt this way about vampires years before Twilight was a thing. The entire aesthetic is tacky and overdone.
    The ones in BG2 are only tolerable because they exchanged the gaudy wannabe goth style for ancient egyptian style.
    SethDavis said:

What about death knights? I could always go for more Soth
    I don't know who that is, but anything but vampires.
    Just read this !!!

WHAT !!!!!!!!!!
    Baator yeah. Death Knights need more love.
    Still cant belive that theres no new game coming from them :(:(

Dragonlance should be Obvious !!!

Anf yes Lord Soth are in DL also :)
    StummvonBordwehr
    lordkim said:

Every Dragonlance fan knows about Soth.
    lordkim

lordkim said:

You said it :)

We will never see Dragonlance game again :(

I even wrote to Trent and M. Weiss on twitter :smiley:
    But seems Hasbro have the rights and nothing will happen.
    StummvonBordwehr
    lordkim said:

lordkim said:

You said it :)

We will never see Dragonlance game again :(

I even wrote to Trent and M. Weiss on twitter :smiley:
    But seems Hasbro have the rights and nothing will happen.
    Dragonlance's reputation got a bad blow after that turkey of a animated movie.
    lordkim
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    lordkim said:

So, are we just pretending that Beamdog hired David Gaider just to do endless re-releases?
    kanisatha
    ThacoBell said:

So, are we just pretending that Beamdog hired David Gaider just to do endless re-releases?

That'd be pretty awful. Ugh...

ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    ThacoBell said:

lordkim said:

Like i said weeks ago. Dont think we gonna see anything new from them, the next 3-4years.
    After NVN EE ; comes NVN II without doubt..
    StummvonBordwehr
    lordkim said:

Like i said weeks ago. Dont think we gonna see anything new from them, the next 3-4years.

This is contrary to what Beamdog themselves had said...

gugulug5000ShapiroKeatsDarkMageThacoBellkanisatha
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    Yeah I'm pretty sure they're at least going to announce their own game this year. I bet it'll be released in 2018 at some point (currently guessing late 2018, but wouldn't be surprised if it was earlier).
    rapsam2003ThacoBellkanisatha
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    I don't believe the axies and allies rumors btw, because I speculate that BD have signed with WoTC a deal similar to Pixar signing with Disney, in order to get a better deal overall. I have no evidence of this, it is all conjecture... but it would explain a lot, wouldn't it?
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    lordkim said:

ThacoBell said:

lordkim said:

they said they arnt doing 2. and as they can't do iwd 2 ee either, nwn ee is gonna be the last ee they do.
    ThacoBell
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    I'm still kinda hoping for a ToEE:EE.
    Balrog99Aedan
    I'd like a Arcanum EE since i don't think the original works on Windows 10.
    Ardul
    Beamdog was formed from former Bioware folk though, with some overlap with the people who created the original games. ToEE and Arcanum where made be entirely different people with no connection to Beamdog.
    Montresor_SP
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Avalon Hill's parent company is WotC.

From wiki:

"Avalon was transferred to the control of Wizards of the Coast, another Hasbro subsidiary, in 2004.
    Hasbro has released new titles under the Avalon Hill name, and added the Avalon Hill name to older games such as Axis and Allies that were not originally made by Avalon Hill."
    AstroBryGuy
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited February 2018
    DrakeICN said:

I don't believe the axies and allies rumors btw, because I speculate that BD have signed with WoTC a deal similar to Pixar signing with Disney, in order to get a better deal overall. I have no evidence of this, it is all conjecture... but it would explain a lot, wouldn't it?

But Axis & Allies is published by Wizards of the Coast under their Avalon Hill brand.

http://avalonhill.wizards.com/games/axis-and-allies

EDIT: Ninja'ed by @deltago!
    deltago said:

Avalon Hill's parent company is WotC."
    And? That may be a product they own, but it's not a product they have pushed.

We're not going to see Beamdog publishing Axis and Allies, guys. So quit the joke already, huh? :D

The GOG version works just fine on Windows 10.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageArdul
    In theory, Hasbro own the rights to publish A&A. However, they have shown no interest in doing so. Can't say as I blame them.
    rapsam2003

The GOG version works just fine on Windows 10.
    Thank you. I really needed to know that.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    I have to admit to being super-hyped by all the hiring frenzy currently going on with Beamdog. Hope the net is being cast for veteran devs as well and not just noobs (though fresh blood is a good thing too). Can't wait for the announcement of their new IP game. Needs to happen soon!
    rapsam2003