2 endless rerolls combined with point redistribution
    3 starting at any level over first
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    ajwz said:

"Aye, we can help you find Imoen sure enough"
    "I see, and what sort of fee might I be expected to pay"
    "The total sum comes to 20000 gold"
    "20000 gold! Where am I supposed to get such a sum?"
    "Well you can purchase gold in game now at a 20% discount by heading to the beamdog store. Would you like me to show you how?"

If I got what our fellow @ajwz said, please don't make any sort of treasure or magical item or any sort of cheesy kit available for online purchase. If you want to sell us stuff, sell us (good) expansions so we can acquire stuff as if it were part of the game.
  • former_customerformer_customer Member Posts: 111
    Don't want:

1. 2nd Edition AD&D ruleset
    2. Injection of modern gender/sexual identity politics
    3. Twitch/reaction game mechanics
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211

2. Injection of modern gender/sexual identity politics

Should probably expand this a bit more even. Otherwise you know we'll end up at a difficult moral choice involving a young NPC and a gorilla...
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766

Otherwise you know we'll end up at a difficult moral choice involving a young NPC and a gorilla...

I wanna ask for context, but I am almost too scared.
    And for some reason I am thinking of the Misfits TV show right now ...
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    edited August 2016
    No we definitely should have what people think are modern gender identity and sexual politics. They're not really modern at all, nor is the presence of a character who isn't straight and/or cis political in the sense that people who produce this incredibly unnuanced attempt at criticism (it's not criticism, it's just complaining).

In general, more diversity among characters in computer games is a good thing, if you're not irrationally frightened and/or angered by the presence of people who are unlike you at any rate.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903

Otherwise you know we'll end up at a difficult moral choice involving a young NPC and a gorilla...

I think it's a reference to a little boy at the zoo who was being roughed up by a gorilla. The gorilla was killed to make sure the boy got out okay.

The boy probably feels awful. The event may cast a long shadow over his life.
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253

I think it's a reference to a little boy at the zoo who was being roughed up by a gorilla. The gorilla was killed to make sure the boy got out okay.

The boy probably feels awful. The event may cast a long shadow over his life.
    The gorilla, however, feels quite dead. There are quite a few humans, but not that many gorilla's. But let's not debate this.
  • ConjurerDragonConjurerDragon Member Posts: 110

No we definitely should have what people think are modern gender identity and sexual politics. They're not really modern at all, nor is the presence of a character who isn't straight and/or cis political in the sense that people who produce this incredibly unnuanced attempt at criticism (it's not criticism, it's just complaining).

In general, more diversity among characters in computer games is a good thing, if you're not irrationally frightened and/or angered by the presence of people who are unlike you at any rate.

So you not only can read other peoples mind and know that the reason they object to something in a game is because they are irrationally frightened but it’s always a good thing? I doubt both.

Games are meant to be fun, a diversion from real life and entertainment. If in a game out of context of the fantasy setting suddenly some bloke spams the player with a tirade about how he/she/it is genderoppressed (instead of the staple of fiction, a damsel in distress), a woman in the body of a man (instead of a princess turned into a frog by a witch) that feels more like a failed attempt at comedy that already had been done before and better at that:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOOTKA0aGI0

And if something like that is implemented in a game because, as you wrote "They’re not really modern at all", then please give us ample opportunity to use the good old-fashined medieval ways to take care of such problems ingame like crucifying or burning at the stake for being an abomination against nature and the godgiven order of the world (in a medieval sense of course) o:)

I know I'm on Beamdog's forums and that the moderation policy here effectively prohibits trying to make my point, regardless of tone.
    How about y'all take that topic to a different thread ...
    before this one here explodes as well and gets closed :neutral:
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459

How about y'all take that topic to a different thread ...
    before this one here explodes as well and gets closed :neutral:

Yup, I agree. Sorry for fueling the flames, just wanted to offer some alternatives. Brb, I'll go ahead and make the new thread.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108

So you not only can read other peoples mind and know that the reason they object to something in a game is because they are irrationally frightened but it’s always a good thing? I doubt both.

More diversity is a good thing because it means more potential characters. Sticking to what fearful cis straight white guys think is reasonable is not diverse at all.

And no I can't read minds, but I can read posts and reviews, and what I see are not rational objections.

Games are meant to be fun, a diversion from real life and entertainment. If in a game out of context of the fantasy setting suddenly some bloke spams the player with a tirade about how he/she/it is genderoppressed (instead of the staple of fiction, a damsel in distress), a woman in the body of a man (instead of a princess turned into a frog by a witch) that feels more like a failed attempt at comedy

Games are meant to be fun and one of the fun things about games (and media in general) is seeing yourself reflected in that media. That counts just as much for people in the LGBT community, for disabled people, people of color, etc. as it counts for you (although I doubt you've ever experienced what it's like to not be represented well in the media, so your perspective is already deeply flawed).

And if something like that is implemented in a game because, as you wrote "They’re not really modern at all", then please give us ample opportunity to use the good old-fashined medieval ways to take care of such problems ingame like crucifying or burning at the stake for being an abomination against nature and the godgiven order of the world (in a medieval sense of course) o:)

No, because that's just hateful, and you're basically trolling by making that suggestion in the first place - which is again a sign of that irrational fear and/or anger.

You don't have a good argument against more inclusive casts because there simply isn't one. There's just emotional kneejerk complaints that boil down to "don't do it because it makes me uncomfortable."
    Vallmyr said:

Are we doing this again? Really? >_>

"We" aren't doing anything again, no. I listed three things I didn't want in a future game, which was the premise of the thread. I'm not organizing online harassment campaigns (I had to look up the whole Gamergate thing while checking Dragonspear reviews, as I'm not really a full-time resident of the Internet) or posting bad reviews of games I haven't even played.

I'm simply not spending disposable entertainment income on things I don't find entertaining. I'm not demanding anything, and I'm not questioning anyone's right to express themselves as they wish. (I have, in fact, taken an oath to uphold that right, among others, and I have been hit by rocks and a bottle whIle doing so.) I'm just saying what I don't want in a game.

If the market wants more of Ms. Scott's kind of writing, for example, I'm just not part of the market, that's all.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as rude. Just didn't expect this conversation to happen so soon again. I apologize~
    Vallmyr said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as rude. Just didn't expect this conversation to happen so soon again. I apologize~

No offense taken. I also understand that my preference in gaming themes is often voiced in less appropriate ways. In any case, I wasn't trying to start something, but it has to permissible to express some disagreement with that narrative direction.

For what it's worth, the 2nd Edition rulest is an even bigger deal-breaker for me. XD

I can barely deal with it in the BG games, but it's grandfathered in. I couldn't go to a new game with that Winchester Mystery House ruleset.
    edited August 2016

More diversity is a good thing because it means more potential characters. Sticking to what fearful cis straight white guys think is reasonable is not diverse at all.
    So, not only did you guess someone else’s mind but now you are able to tell the skincolour and sexual orientation of a poster across the internet? Could it be that in your limited vision you have to jump to conclusions as you are unable to ask before simply assuming something?

And no I can't read minds, but I can read posts and reviews, and what I see are not rational objections.
    And they can’t be. Fun or entertainment are not rational and something different for most people.

Games are meant to be fun, a diversion from real life and entertainment. If in a game out of context of the fantasy setting suddenly some bloke spams the player with a tirade about how he/she/it is genderoppressed (instead of the staple of fiction, a damsel in distress), a woman in the body of a man (instead of a princess turned into a frog by a witch) that feels more like a failed attempt at comedy

Games are meant to be fun and one of the fun things about games (and media in general) is seeing yourself reflected in that media. That counts just as much for people in the LGBT community, for disabled people, people of color, etc. as it counts for you (although I doubt you've ever experienced what it's like to not be represented well in the media, so your perspective is already deeply flawed).
    So someone can’t hold a different opinion than you because then the other persons perspective must be flawed. That is a very nice way to be always right but sadly it doesn’t work that way in real life.

No, because that's just hateful, and you're basically trolling by making that suggestion in the first place - which is again a sign of that irrational fear and/or anger.
    Hateful? In a fantasy game where e.g. in BG EE there is an achievement "Lord of Murder" that is unlocked when the party has killed 1000 creatures it is hateful to ask for the option to deal with something in the way it was historically done? Well, I could imagine having a psychotherapeutical session with the evil wizard to play on his inner child to make him understand the wrongs he does to subjugate the world - but most games limit those encounters to simply defeat the wizard and take the reward from his corpse. In a fantasy setting where lives are not worth much, everyone is armed to the teeth and the law is most of the time as absent as in movies about the wild west do you really expect a party to emply *nowadays* methods to deal with something they encounter?

You don't have a good argument against more inclusive casts because there simply isn't one.
    There is a rather simple one - freedom of fun for everyone and not just for those limited in their view of the world. You simply accept that a drow might kill an elf on sight, a dwarf an orc but not a party with a priest of a deity of order someone who openly disturbs society and defies the laws of the land?

There's just emotional kneejerk complaints that boil down to "don't do it because it makes me uncomfortable."
    I understand that your compaint is just that but that doesn’t mean in a medieval fantasy setting the wood for the stake is always ready to burn those that do not fit into the village. That’s the way in history witches died and today we all know that none of those humans who died in the flames actually were sorcerors able to do magic. Yet it still happened because superstition existed in real life - claiming that it may not exist in a fantasy setting denies players options and destroys the fourth wall.
    edited August 2016
    You know what I don't want in the game?

Landsharks.

Just f*** landsharks, these guys are so annoying.

Gorgons as well.

I mean, not just is the name completely misleading, but they are also annoying to fight.

And while we are at it, how about the D&D version of basilisks.

I mean, they are also annoying, but more because they don't look like actual basilisks, which should look like this:

Landsharks.

Gorgons as well.
    I mean, not just is the name completely misleading, but they are also annoying to fight.

I mean, they are also annoying, but more because they don't look like actual basilisks, which should look like this:

Isn’t that a Cockatrice?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockatrice
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

Landsharks.

Gorgons as well.

Isn’t that a Cockatrice?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockatrice
    We'll, they both turn things to stone, so...
    Well, where I come from Cockatrices are called Basilisks, so you got that. #EuropeRulez

Either way, I guess the answer lies somewhere in the middle:
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I'm from a country not far from you, @buttercheese, and the DnD's version of the basilisk is the same as I'm used to.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Cockatrice and Basilisk are just two names for the same mythological creature. Part chicken, part snake, turns people to stone. It originates from people seeing snakes hatch from eggs that look similar to chicken eggs. "turn to stone" is poetic language for "lethal venom".

Dungeons and Dragons and Harry Potter have both had a significant effect on modern perceptions of what those words mean.

The DnD gorgon seems to have been Gygax, for whatever reason, confusing two creatures from Greek myths. I assume it is based on the bronze bulls that Jason used to plough the field to plant the Hydra's/dragon's (depending on which translation you read) teeth.
    Skatan said:

I'm from a country not far from you, @buttercheese, and the DnD's version of the basilisk is the same as I'm used to.

Shhh, you can't just say that >.>
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Fardragon said:

The DnD gorgon seems to have been Gygax, for whatever reason, confusing two creatures from Greek myths. I assume it is based on the bronze bulls that Jason used to plough the field to plant the Hydra's/dragon's (depending on which translation you read) teeth.

That seems logical,, but in Heroes of might and magic 3 (or 2, I can't remember), they also have bulls called gorgons.
    Would be interesting to know for sure
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It was HoMM 3; part of the...whichever faction it was that also had dragonflies. That particular entry in the series borrowed a lot of creatures from D&D; their Gorgon is more or less identical to the creature in the 3e Monster Manual.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    1) GENERIC CHARACTERS, (see Neverwinter Nights 2).

2) No interesting sub-races

3) Stupid main plot*

*I hate main plots in AD&D where your main character is just a normal guy. How does that make sense? Baldur's Gate is special to me because the main character is really unique. Also, look at Pillars of Eternity. The main character in that game *is* very unique.