Skip to content

Name three things you don't want in a new D&D game

Comments

• lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    You can turn everything around and play the other side of the moral spectrum. play with a drow protagonist in a drow city where you get punished for doing good things.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    helmo1977 said:

they arent so black and white, but surely they are more interesting.

...Now I need to play those games again. I loved those games.
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 90
    1. Any crafting different than it was in BG2
    2. Random drops for the best items (not being able to find a specific item in a single run of the game)
    3. Heavy VFX. You can't see what's going on the screen in most rpgs today. Very light visual effects please.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    I'd rather have vampire drow than dragonborn :fearful:
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I mean I'd assume both Drow and Dragonborn would be there since they are in the core rulebook @_@
    Maybe could limit their interaction as NPCs but PC ones will probably be there.
    Dee said:

What about vampire dragonborn?

I will come to Edmonton and egg the Beamdog company building if you do that.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Will you use Phaere's eggs or Solaufein's eggs for that? ;)
    Both. And the real ones too.
  • RyrokRyrok Member Posts: 5
    Is moving away from the 2E ruleset on the table? If so:

* Suboptimal weapon types
    * Five minute adventuring days
    * Inventory management
    * Racial class/multiclass restrictions
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited July 2016
    Ryrok said:

Is moving away from the 2E ruleset on the table? If so:

* Suboptimal weapon types
    * Five minute adventuring days
    * Inventory management
    * Racial class/multiclass restrictions

A 2nd edition game isn't even on the table. Hasbro will only licence 5th edition for new games. Hence the discussion about dragonborn. As a core race, I would rather see them included, even though saurials are far more interesting. I'm okay with drow for PC too, just so long as niether race shows up anywhere apart from the character creation screen.

5th edition has no race or multiclass restrictions.
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Mummy hunters.

I don't want some big muscle bound oaf call me a milf then charge at me with a big sword...
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    The problem with drow playable race is that usually you're the only one who actually knows what they are. In NWN2 they treat you as a normal elf.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Anduin said:

Mummy hunters.

I don't want some big muscle bound oaf call me a milf then charge at me with a big sword...

Funny story, IWD's item "Mummy's Tea" (which makes clear references to bandages and cadavers in its description) was in one of the foreign language editions translated as literally "Mom's Tea" (due to the ambiguity of 'mummy' no doubt; though why the description did not raise red flags I cannot say).

PERHAPS NOT A MISTRANSLATION AFTER ALL?!
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited July 2016
    Vitor said:

3. Dragonborns

Dragonborns are so underrated. #unpopularopinions
    Post edited by brus on
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    The nerfing of gnomes.

Every game needs the character race for the power gamer...
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    What I don't want?

1. Cooldowns. Or any other changes to the DnD mechanics. If there absolutely must be cooldowns, it should be some universal cooldown or fatigue system. If I need fire I want to be able to cast Fireball on repeat instead of waiting for some arbitrary cooldown for individual spells (or abilities).

2. Single player only game. DnD is a social game and any digital version must make the most out of being online.

3. Cartoony visuals. RPG's need to be realistic, if stylized, to be more immersive.

Cartoony visuals. RPG's need to be realistic, if stylized, to be more immersive.

You don't watch a lot of cartoons/ read a lot of comics, do you.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Anduin said:

The nerfing of gnomes.

Every game needs the character race for the power gamer...

hello Svirfneblin
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

What I don't want?

1. Cooldowns. Or any other changes to the DnD mechanics. If there absolutely must be cooldowns, it should be some universal cooldown or fatigue system. If I need fire I want to be able to cast Fireball on repeat instead of waiting for some arbitrary cooldown for individual spells (or abilities).

2. Single player only game. DnD is a social game and any digital version must make the most out of being online.

3. Cartoony visuals. RPG's need to be realistic, if stylized, to be more immersive.

Agree alot to 1 and 3.

What I don't want?

1. Cooldowns. Or any other changes to the DnD mechanics.

Technically, there already is a cooldown on many things, like the 1-per-round limit of spellcasting (or indeed many actions). Cooldowns don't always come in a once-every-minute variety, it's very often a limiter that sets the pace for combat flow in general (much like weapon swing times do for attacks).

I agree there can be problems if the system makes use of such limiters TOO much, but D&D's essentially turn-based nature can be tricky to implement into what is essentially a real-time game (with the result being a strange hybrid). Cooldowns are often an easy way to bridge the gaps between both systems - IF USED WELL, of course.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited August 2016
    I really don't want to see dumb evil. I never play evil characters in RPGs mostly because you're forced to be dumb evil. A Lawful Evil character for instance may be smart enough to know that rescuing the princess is a smarter move than trying to kidnap her yourself. Of course he does that for personal profit and his methods are not nice at all. Capture the kidnappers minions, kidnap his family and propose an exchange, but go there and rescue the princess!

Murdering everything that moves is an idiotic way to do things that will only make you an wanted criminal instead of a powerful adventurer who is respected by most and feared by his enemies...

Of course the option to be a murdering psychopathic insane individual who murders anyone for no reason at all should be always open as well but should not be the ONLY evil path available.
  • MagpieRandomsMagpieRandoms Member Posts: 72
    Romances are fine but I, personally, never want to see a love scene in a video game again after playing Dragon Age Origins.

Cringe factor FIVE THOUSAND.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122

Romances are fine but I, personally, never want to see a love scene in a video game again after playing Dragon Age Origins.

Cringe factor FIVE THOUSAND.

I enjoy them sometimes, but I don't want them in game, because they tend to take over a lot of the game, and mould the personality of your character around the expectations of your choice of love interest
    edited August 2016
    @MagpieRandoms
    Most of said cringe factor comes from the graphics and visual presentation.
    If the next game is going to look anything like Baldur's Gate and co. I doubt there would be that problem.
    Just make it a minigame instead of a cutscene.

I really want a mod for this, "Fun with Phaere" or something.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520

Just make it a minigame instead of a cutscene.

I really want a mod for this, "Fun with Phaere" or something.

*adds to list of things she does not want in a new D&D game*