Skip to content

How old are you?

Comments

• chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    Well, I'm sure he's coming your way. :wink: And I didn't know you wanted the blonde girlfriend to double up as a follicle source; well, just leave her a landing strip and you'll have enough for the "on parole, working as a lifeguard" fuzz.
    Good god, that makes the 40s an ominous prospect. :lol:
  • evildevil97evildevil97 Member Posts: 93
    I'm 30. Which means I can honestly say that I first played a BG game over half my lifetime ago.
  • SeraphSeraph Member Posts: 38
    I'm 26. Though definitely not new to the BG series. I started playing BG when I was 8 and have been playing on and off since then. I think part of the reason I have a good vocab now is because of the countless hours I put into these games and other older RPGs.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    And it's really interesting that we still roleplay a 20 year old protagonist.
  • XavantXavant Member Posts: 11
    @chimeric Don't forget me... I'm a late to respond but don't blame my young age of 53! :tired_face: LoL
    It's never too late to be old. ;) Fine, fine. We need the elder scrollers here too.
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    I'm kinda surprised my age bracket is in the lead here! Dunno why, but I figured both the one younger and the one older would both be bigger than mine!
  • MagpieRandomsMagpieRandoms Member Posts: 72
    I'm thirty. :smile:
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    46 and (slowly) counting. After discovering AD&D in the very early 80s, I drifted away from PnP over the years as our group left for university, got married, etc. I picked up BG back in '99 (age 29) at a Best Buy in Phoenix while looking for a brief summer distraction before moving overseas.

At the time, I had no idea what it was but was intrigued by the ability to play D&D solo. I still remember opening it up and inserting the discs to play for the first time. I was very quickly hooked and I then upgraded later to SoA/ToB, played IWD, NWN, then full circle back to the BGEEs.
    So you were there when the first issues of the Dragon Magazine were coming out. I only have them as an archive. But what wonderful ideas, occasionally. Letters to the editor, home rules... That was a different world... As always, I'm both happy that I'm younger and sad that I didn't catch the good old times.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    I played various PnP RPGs in the 70s and 80s before coming across Baldur's Gate a while after it launched. I wasn't hooked by it at the time due to a dislike of the small screen and slow walking, but a few years later after discovering BGT and other mods that became my favourite game and I've played it pretty regularly ever since ...
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    @chimeric , over Christmas holidays I was visiting my parents and found a box of my old AD&D manuals in their attic, together with boxes of miniatures and numerous old copies of Dragon magazine. They really took me back!
    Well! It's different for me! Maybe it's because I wasn't around early enough for those things to evoke nostalgia in me, but I'm completely ahistorical. I look at those issues of the Dragon from 1983 and all I care about are the story ideas, creatures, magic, mechanics and excitement. I would put them to use immediately if I had a group of friends to play with. Who cares about time anyway.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    25. That's a long life for a ferret. Though I suppose I did die to a certain undead gnome a year ago. I'm just glad possession is a thing!
  • alceryesalceryes Member Posts: 380
    Ahhh, the classics - Ultima, Wizardry, Bard's Tale.
    I still remember how pissed off I was when exiting a certain dungeon (sewer system?) with a ton of excellent drow gear only to have it crumble to dust in the sunlight! Now, I fully knew that drow gear was *supposed* to do this but said to myself, "There's no way they would put that into the game." Oh, and I had already saved over the game right before I started dropping all my cool stuff for the better drow gear.

My C64 and game floppy disks were extremely lucky to avoid my wrath that day. Joysticks, graph paper, and other odds-n-ends on my desk not so much.
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    37. First non-arcade game was probably Zork, and then Atari 2600/Colecovision/Intellivision.

First played Baldur's Gate I & II in the early 2000s, but by that point I was kind of tired of D&D's setting and ruleset (having played it in PnP since junior high) so I never got far in either game. I beat both of them for the first time after buying the Beamdog versions.

I am deeply suspicious of nostalgia and love the sprite outlines.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861

Buhahaa, for a Finn, this explains a lot! ;-) You do know I like yer style generally Finneous, so just teasing a little... Only I sort of assume us as the gamers from BG first experience onwards... often.

But yuup, nice to see the next gamer generation coming along... (an exaggeratedly wizened and winking smiley here)

• TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    brus said:

If nobody is under 20, we could update forum rules to PG-20.

(Or in case of @Anduin to PG-39082 or so.)

Charmingly put, I like yer style brus - but surely it is more to signal against perma-unkindness that knows no age: yet, at maturity we are supposed to be at command post of our actions. ;-)
    I hope Jagger doesn't feel like he's 20, not really. That would make him delusional. If he feels very vigorous for his age, the more power to him, but if a person thinks "I'm a 20 year-old soul in a wrinkled sack," then that soul hasn't learned much since turning 20, and what was the point of all those after-years?