4. 36 - 43
      17.09%
    5. 44 and over and out
      14.53%

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2016
    I'm 20 next month.

Edit: This really should be in Off-Topic, btw.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    No, I wanted to probe the new players. I'm 36 myself, there are enough of us who played the game in the 90s. But I'm curious about what brings new players here. Aren't the graphics substandard by your count, @Artemius_I ?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Artemius_I Then shouldn't you have answered under 20...

@chimeric Sorry, I'm not new but answered anyway.
    When I was nearly 20, I wanted to be 20. When I'll be nearly 70, I'll want to be 69. :wink: Pfft. Time!

@FinneousPJ , NP. I'm just wondering what a game like this must look like to young adults, hence this forum.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    23 years old. Quarter-life crisis is a bitch.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    If previous polls are any indication, the average age is between 20 and 29—making up more than half the overall number of people polled. Of course, people polled back then who were 29 are now in the 30 bracket, but the average doesn't surprise me.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited July 2016
    Neat so far I stand alone in 36-43
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Incarnated 23 supereons ago and still going strong.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    chimeric said:

No, I wanted to probe the new players. I'm 36 myself, there are enough of us who played the game in the 90s. But I'm curious about what brings new players here. Aren't the graphics substandard by your count, @Artemius_I ?

This is a late response but I played the original BG2 while I was still in primary school, no joke. It helps to have an older sibling who's into RPGs. I grew up playing the BG series, NWN1 and 2 as well as the Elder Scroll series. Besides that I played some console shooters like Halo but that was about it. I'm actually not even familiar with most modern titles (hell, I only started playing Mass Effect about a month back so I'm really behind). You could say that I got into gaming a few years early.
    I see. An unusual situation, that. By the Elder Scolls series at that time you probably mean Morrowind. :lol: But that can't be the case with everybody, if the average really is somewhere in the 20s... I'm surprised. I thought there would be about a snowball's chance in hell of Generation Y playing this game. Unless... here is an extra question: do you people play with Sprite Outlines on?
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    How DARE you make the cut off 28... now I feel old
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    chimeric said:

I wanted to probe the new players.

I'm against hazing.
    At 28 Pluto makes a return to one's horoscope. Or was it Venus? Anyway, something important happens at 28. :lol:
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    chimeric said:

I see. An unusual situation, that. By the Elder Scolls series at that time you probably mean Morrowind. :lol: But that can't be the case with everybody, if the average really is somewhere in the 20s... I'm surprised. I thought there would be about a snowball's chance in hell of Generation Y playing this game. Unless... here is an extra question: do you people play with Sprite Outlines on?

I've been playing this game since I was 12 back in 99, and I cant stand the sprite outlines, luckily it is optional so that is nice, I have one of my friends playing the bg series again ( he played it a little bit waaaaay back in the day, so he has some idea on what he is doing) but anyways he likes the sprite outline and he likes the life bar thingy as well ( for me, im not a fan of the life bars either, but luckily again they are optional)

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited July 2016
    @GreenWarlock - You won't need the graph paper. The Bard's Tale Remastered (reward for Bard's Tale 4 backers) is going to have auto-mapping...

https://bardstale.inxile-entertainment.com/pledge/codex/parts?id=53
    edited July 2016

It doesn't matter about the graphics. It's the gameplay. That's why this is still fun :smiley::smile:

It's fun because there are buttons you can click and a reasonable interface. Not a sufficient reason but a necessary one. Now with something like the Golden Box games I beg to differ... Game development logic has gone a long way since the early 1990s, so have the graphics, implementation, and it hasn't been for nothing. That's why I put up this poll. Young players are shortchanged on some accounts, but they can enjoy all of the best ideas as a matter of course. For me Baldur's Gate and the rest of them are dated, but they are a decent recreation of pen-and-paper AD&D, for solitaries. And then there are the talented painted backgrounds, spell effects and Mark Morgan's music. But the games are still obsolete in many ways.

I was recently looking at old AD&D and even D&D spells and thought about Read Magic. Would that be an interesting spell to carry over to modern gameplay, I asked myself. Well... yes and no. It added something to the experience, but on the other hand it was a hassle.

• GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @AstroBryGuy automapping?! Blasphemy I say!
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    40. I'll be needing a 22 year old blonde girlfriend and a sporty car and some life-changing spiritual experiences in order to tell myself 40 isnt really very old, or doesnt have to be, at least.
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    And a hair transplant. Definately a hair transplant.
    Get some from Trump. :wink: