Skip to content

Why doesn't Beamdog.com list an ESRB/PEGI rating?

Comments

• LoveViconiaLoveViconia Member Posts: 196
    @Dee cut it, i care nothing about those fake users who pretend to be, but they are not. The word homo is a bad word for the avenger english native speaker. It's not an english word, but it has been used by the english as derogative word, blame the english for using it as derogative word. As I said read what it really means, but if you take the side of the ignorant childs who use it at school to bully around then you are on the wrong side. These people are victims of their own ignorance.

I asked something, because i have found myself in a bad situation, has this game before its realease gave a little warning that it was not suitable for a certain kind of players? Do you get what i mean? It's not a game what is going to tell you what is right and what is not about sexuality, expecially talking about that kind of players who have found themself playing a game with a content not suitable for them. If you get what i mean, and no i'm not refering to those users who are a certain age to take if for fun. Got it now? If you did not next time i'll be really explicit about it.
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229
    Homosexual is an English word. It's derived from Latin, but it's still an English word. And homo is slang derived from this English word. So when people who speak English as their first language tell you that it's perceived as a slur, you should probably take them at their word instead of telling them that no, it's not. It doesn't matter how it translates into your native tongue, if you're using it in English and native English speakers tell you it's offensive, stop using it and expecting no repercussions.

As for you claiming you're not being derogatory in using homo, you are still stating that any homosexual content in the game is "not suitable" for certain groups of people. Considering that the homosexual content in the game is not sexually explicit at all and is the same level of adult themes as any of the heterosexual content, I would consider that discriminatory. You are saying that, all else equal, homosexual content is unsuitable for children for whatever reason, while heterosexual content is suitable. There is clear discrimination here.

You started off speaking on your personal experiences as a player wanting a straight romance with a female PC, now you're expanding this to "no child should have to deal with homosexuality."
  • KampfKaninchenKampfKaninchen Member Posts: 139
    edited July 2016
    @Vbibbi Actually it's made a up word of greek and latin.

homo=equal sexus=gender

And no, homo is no slang derived from english. It's just a short term for homo(sexual), which actually includes gay and lesbian.

Still I would like @LoveViconia to be more explicit, because, unilke after your first posts, right now I am not quite sure what you wanted say

coucounet Sry for derailing further
    edited July 2016
    Vbibbi said:

Homosexual is an English word. It's derived from Latin, but it's still an English word. And homo is slang derived from this English word.

No it's not an english word and it exist before english as language was even born. So don't come out saying i hate, how can i call them, when every word for them is racist? But i hate those who pretend to be when they are not. Like i have said it's a slang, blame your poor education. Nowhere in the world that word is used to insult, but it's convenious to say i'm using it to insult to avoid a question that has not been answered.
    coucounet said:

B..b....but I just wanted to post my review of SoD :(

I was the first one saying to remove all the comments and let your review, and when i posted something i did put it on spoiler. Blame those who really don't care about your review, which i have liked, and I did put it on spoiler to avoid arguments. But when is too much is too much if you did read other users answers.
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    @LoveViconia Unfortunately in many places in the world the term is used for an insult. We are not saying that you are intending to use it as an insult here, but that it can easily be perceived that way by people so perhaps it is best to not use the term here.

Again, you say that people are avoiding a question but no one here seems to understand exactly what you are asking. Perhaps you could explicitly state it in a private message to @Dee if you do not wish to post it here?
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    coucounet said:

B..b....but I just wanted to post my review of SoD :(

I feel really bad for you. no one should hijack someones thread with this stuff. loveviconia could hhave just made their own thread to complain.
    @Dee has already shown that he prefers to avoid it, and hide it by calling me someone who hates, and tell me how can i call them, because i have used a non english word that has nothing to do with sexuality, but in is country is used as an insulting word, so i'm supposed to hate them. Want to ban some pixels? Go on and ban some pixels, what do you think you are going to do. But trust me after what i have seen there are going to be more and more complains, read back what i said if you still can't get it, but you don't want to get it. Bye.
  • KampfKaninchenKampfKaninchen Member Posts: 139
    uhh....well I could understand the notion, that heterosexual female players still get the short stick, because the Jaheira and Corvin romances are probably the best written.

So, to some extend I could agree with the idea, to have a male Corvin, single father and such, could be intersting.

But I don't understand your passive-aggressive tone.

Also keep in mind, the only age restrictions they care about are probably the USA (not even canadian...), there is no love for european players in general
  • VbibbiVbibbi Member Posts: 229

Vbibbi said:

Homosexual is an English word. It's derived from Latin, but it's still an English word. And homo is slang derived from this English word.

No it's not an english word and it exist before english as language was even born. So don't come out saying i hate, how can i call them, when every word for them is racist? But i hate those who pretend to be when they are not. Like i have said it's a slang, blame your poor education. Nowhere in the world that word is used to insult, but it's convenious to say i'm using it to insult to avoid a question that has not been answered.
    Nowhere in the world is homo an insult? Apart from all of the examples people have posted in this thread? I'm also not seeing the connection between homophobia and racism that you seem to see as relevant. In what context has race been discussed in this entire thread?

I also don't understand your continual disgust toward "fake" homosexuals as I understand it. You keep saying there are fake homos on these boards, writing about some international gay conspiracy. I have stated that I am a gay male. I am not lying about my gender or sexuality. What more do you want to prove that homos are responding to your bigotry?
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    I'm not sure what gender or sexuality has to do with a roleplaying game. People of all genders and any sexuality can play as any gender or any sexuality when roleplaying - that's why it's called ROLEplaying.

There's no excuse for continuing to use a word when you've been informed that the word upsets people, no matter what you may think it means or which group of people used it or and what they intended it to mean. It's the meaning now and among your audience that matters...
    I'm just going to ignore the up comment.

When you buy this game from here, do you see an advisory or age restriction? NO
    You think the game is safe for kids to play but it's NOT.
    Does the box for sale in here shows any label to warn the game have contents not suitable for kids? NO

How comes stea and gog did put an age restriction and you didn't?

Starting to get that someone who was not supposed by laws to play this game due to its contents did play it because you didn't even waste a warning line that the game is not suitable for all ages. Well done.
    As of 5 minutes ago, Steam's warning label shows "Teen" and the listed reasons are Animated Blood, Mild Language, Use of Alcohol and Tobacco.
    Gog does not have a warning label on any of the BG series games pages or when you purchase them. When I signed up for Gog I had to agree that I was at least 13 years old.

You know, those warning label systems were only ever voluntary, just like the movie rating systems. Games and movies do not have to participate if they don't want to. They might experience distribution difficulties with some retailers or theaters but it was never illegal to decline to be rated.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Siege of Dragonspear contains violence, gore, and graphic descriptions of torture. An age restriction might be appropriate (though the similar content in BG2 didn't traumatize 10-year-old me).

But if you think the presence of gay characters is an issue, I would point out that SOD has no explicit sexual content whatsoever, whether gay or straight. In fact, I didn't even see any innuendo in my first playthrough.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    @LoveViconia What country do you actually live in?
    One is from stea who is based in USA one is from GOG, as you can see they did put a limit age for the game. The canadian are under the same law that apply in USA, so why no limit age has been put in here.

edited July 2016
    As I stated, the rating systems have always been voluntary and are not legally enforced in the US at least. I just verified again and Gog as seen from my location in the US does not have the warning on the left above.

Steam has this:

@mf2112 those are laws, and by showing the ESRB that apply in canada too, you are just confirming this company with his direct sale did not give any warning. If you don't give a warning the game is supposed to be played at any age. But more than one company did put that warning. This one did not. The reason you don't see it is because like you have said you registered that site saying that you are over the age restriction. If i come to this site as guest i don't see any age restriction still.

@mf2112 those are laws, and by showing the ESRB that apply in canada too, you are just confirming this company with his direct sale did not give any warning. If you don't give a warning the game is supposed to be played at any age. But more than one company did put that warning. This one did not. The reason you don't see it is because like you have said you registered that site saying that you are over the age restriction. If i come to this site as guest i don't see any age restriction still.

@LoveViconia As I stated, this is not a legally enforced system at least here in the US.
    https://esrb.org/ratings/enforcement.aspx
    Here is the relevant quote from that page.
    Although it does not have the legal authority to implement or enforce retailer sales policies with respect to video games, the ESRB works closely with retailers...

Your country may in fact have a different system, I do not know that. In the US, this system is voluntary.
    It's also optional in the UK and EU.

Moreover, there is no provision for "references to homesexuality" in the ESRB, unless there is innuendo or graphic sex (in which case, it is treated in exactly the same way as hetrosexual sex).
    edited July 2016
    It's a warning, play it on your own risk, a warning that has not been given from this company. They didn't put any age restriction did they? But the game was age restricted in their own country too. If buyers respect it or not is a different matter, but salers have to put a warning about it. If i don't see any age restriction and i think this game is safe to give to a kid but according to many laws he should not play it, you are putting me in a situation where i'll break the laws because you did not warn me about the content, who really break the laws?
    Given that we don't know what country you are in, we can't know if there is any chance you would be breaking any laws...
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Fardragon said:

It's also optional in the UK

I'm not debating what's currently being discussed, but I thought I'd correct this particular post. Note that UK regulations do not apply to the US or games sold in the US, so others can ignore my post.
    You might want to check the Video Recordings (Labelling) Regulations 2012.

5 The new system (from July 2012)
    At the time of the Queen’s Speech in May 2012, DCMS announced that regulations would be
    laid to enact the measures on video games in the Digital Economy Act 2010. These are the
    main features of the new system:
    • All games sold in the UK must be age-rated by the Video Standards Council 8 under the Europe-wide PEGI system, unless they contain explicit sexual content that warrants an R18 rating. (In such circumstances the BBFC would classify the game.)
    • The age rating on the packaging must be accompanied by information about the type of content that led to the rating.
    • The VSC has the power to refuse to grant an age-rating for a video game if it includes extreme content, with the result that it would not be allowed to be sold in the UK.
    • The maximum punishment for selling a non-exempt video game to someone who does not meet the age classification is up to six months in prison and a fine of up to £5,000.
    • Supplying a non-exempt game without an age-rating is punishable by up to two years in prison and an unlimited fine. 9
    You keep saying "laws" but this doesn't appear to be a legal issue in the relevant countries of origin or distribution. Perhaps your country is different, I do not know as you haven't said where you are from.
    edited July 2016
    Troodon80 said:

Fardragon said:

It's also optional in the UK

I'm not debating what's currently being discussed, but I thought I'd correct this particular post. Note that UK regulations do not apply to the US or games sold in the US, so others can ignore my post.
    You might want to check the Video Recordings (Labelling) Regulations 2012.

5 The new system (from July 2012)
    At the time of the Queen’s Speech in May 2012, DCMS announced that regulations would be
    laid to enact the measures on video games in the Digital Economy Act 2010. These are the
    main features of the new system:
    • All games sold in the UK must be age-rated by the Video Standards Council 8 under the Europe-wide PEGI system, unless they contain explicit sexual content that warrants an R18 rating. (In such circumstances the BBFC would classify the game.)
    • The age rating on the packaging must be accompanied by information about the type of content that led to the rating.
    • The VSC has the power to refuse to grant an age-rating for a video game if it includes extreme content, with the result that it would not be allowed to be sold in the UK.
    • The maximum punishment for selling a non-exempt video game to someone who does not meet the age classification is up to six months in prison and a fine of up to £5,000.
    • Supplying a non-exempt game without an age-rating is punishable by up to two years in prison and an unlimited fine. 9
    PEGI and ESRB work about the same. We get a 12/13 you get a teenager. It doesn't change that much.

I make it more easy, why your company did not respect his own ESRB while valve, and valve is under the ESRB too did respect it?
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    The discussion has shifted from the original point.

Are you saying that a voluntary game rating should be displayed because the game has LGBT content and because there is a need to protect children from that content?

The 'think of the children' argument fails in that respect. Some LGBT people DO HAVE children. That's not an ideology, that's a fact. So if you use a 'think of the children' argument you have to think of ALL children. Ignoring the rights and needs of children just because you don't agree with the gender or sexuality of their parents could cause serious harm to those children. You can't have it both ways with that argument. You want to protect children, fine, but you must provide provision to protect all children.

As @Fardragon points out there is no differentiation for LGBT references presumably because the ESRB are 'thinking of ALL children'.

It's my understanding that all methods to get the game require either Paypal or a credit card - both of which have further age requirements over and above anything that Beamdog may have on their site.
    @Mr2150 do me a favour, just read what @Troodon80 said before coming out with, those are not just laws, it's something you do only if you want to do. Really.

And still after many times i'm asking, why this company did not respect the ERSB and the PEGI while the other companies selling the same game did?
This discussion has been closed.