Skip to content

Why doesn't Beamdog.com list an ESRB/PEGI rating?

Comments

• Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    I did read what he put and it included 'All games sold in the UK'... if you buy from Beamdog directly you are buying from Alberta, Canada.

The EULA on this website states that "This Agreement will be enforced or construed according to the laws of the Province of Alberta."
  • LoveViconiaLoveViconia Member Posts: 196
    @Troodon80 you are wrong. The PEGI is an European law. This company is subjected to the ERSB and to the PEGI if they want to sell in Europe.

At the end of the day we are talking about what age is suitable to play a game that has certain contents, and while both the ERSB and the PEGI give an age, so far this company didn't even care about it. The result is what you see now. More and more will be complaing because they were not told the game has contents not matching with preteens who are playing it. These laws are not there for fun, are to avoid players to find themself in a situation they should not be in. It's a censure yes, the same censure you get when you watch some movies not suitable for some kids. A preteen asking about E/G/T is not a good sign, where did he find out about it? Why not a single warning has been given from this company that the game they are selling could not suit the preetens to their parent? When more and more will start to find out about this, you can figure it how many complains your will receive.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110

@Troodon80 you are wrong.

Here is the Video Recordings (Labelling) Regulations 2012 I mentioned earlier. This only applies to the UK and games sold in the UK, not to companies outside of the UK who make no effort to sell to the UK market.

What I'm looking for is a source on the international law that you appear to be referring to which suggests that I am incorrect in my study.

The PEGI is an European law.

It's certainly not in many European countries, and certainly not a European Union law.

Here is the citation directly from the PEGI website:
    Do all games have a PEGI rating?
    Although PEGI is a self-regulatory system, every game for the Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony games consoles are PEGI rated as well as every PC game from the main European and American publishers. Game retailers usually require the products they sell to be labelled by PEGI and, consequently, it is very unusual to find a game for sale not rated by PEGI.

Do retailers need to take the ratings into account?
    The PEGI rating system is a voluntary system. It is only backed by legislation in a few countries. In others, however, PEGI is usually treated as being virtually mandatory by nearly all of the game retailers in their company policy. We encourage the public to always notify store managers where the age ratings are clearly being ignored by their staff.
    Highlighted sections should be noted.
    Look i do know quite well those rules, no need to write them. The answer is still the same. Pay attentions to what they say, it's the second time you are confirming what i have said.

The question is still the same, why this company did not care about giving a warning like the rest, that the game they are selling is not suitable for all the ages but has an age restrinctions in both America and Europa. Do you want me to tell you why?
    Because they don't need to.

Someone buying from Beamdog directly is very likely to know the content they are buying before they buy it. Further, they must pay for it via Paypal or Credit Card both of which require the purchaser to be 13+
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @LoveViconia Why don't you tell us why
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Your "warning" would have to be country specific. PEGI would not warn about the presence of homosexual characters because it originates in a part of the world where homosexuality is accepted. It is largely concerned with graphic violence.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I've split the tangential conversation into its own thread. I split it a bit on the early end in the hopes that @coucounet can continue their thread's original purpose.

Carry on.
    I tell you why, because it costs money. And they are hiding behind a law that is worth only in their own country.

Keep going on ruining this game with your romances that have nothing to do with a fantasy game, and get a back up from useless users.

For saying i would like to see a romance between a drow and an elf i was flamed, for saying female players have more homosexual romances i got flamed.

The truth is that you are just leeching the name of another game, and adding shits that had nothing to do with the real version.

And you are so cheap you sell this game breaking other countries rules, smuggling a 12/13 years old game to users who are not even 10 years old.

Feel proud for saving a couple of money, but when more people will start to notice it you will get back what you asked for. And those who are going to quote me to kiss butts, you wont even get an answer. Bye.
  • ConjurerDragonConjurerDragon Member Posts: 110
    edited August 2016

And you are so cheap you sell this game breaking other countries rules, ...

When PEGI is *voluntarily* then how does anyone break any countries rules?
    http://www.pegi.info/en/index/id/26/#question_6
    It’s the retailers who usually insist on having a PEGI (or USK rating in Germany) rating on a box sold in a store. If a game is sold as a download from Canada there is no retailer that could complain.

smuggling a 12/13 years old game to users who are not even 10 years old.

A game that is legally sold does not need to be smuggled. Smuggling is for illegal goods.
    And 10 year olds usually don’t have (or *shouldn’t* have) access to a credit card or paypal account without parental consent. As far as I care 10year olds shouldn’t even have access to the internet at all without parental supervision.

Feel proud for saving a couple of money, but when more people will start to notice it you will get back what you asked for. And those who are going to quote me to kiss butts, you wont even get an answer. Bye.

When I search PEGI it shows a 12 rating for Baldur’s Gate and BG II
    http://www.pegi.info/en/index/global_id/505/?searchString=Baldur’s+Gate&agecategories=&genre=&organisations=&platforms=&countries=&submit=Search#searchresults
    As BG EE is just an enhanced version of the same game anyone who would want to inform himself about how appropriate that game is for children can get that info.
    edited August 2016
    PEGI and the rest is not just volontary, those are laws in many countries. Just like i wanted to show, nothing but ass kissers ready to talk when they got nothing. Wanna bring this to the EEC, wanna talk about this game has been banned in some asian countries.

@shawne stop followinig me, i don't want you to be my b* can't even say what sex you are.

And EE whatever, thanks for ruining one of the greatest games. Don't even have the ethic and i mean a few of ethic to warn parents that this game is not suitable for any age at all. I feel bad for those who put effort in fights and designing the game, but those who started to add this shit about in real sexuality that has nothing to do with a fantasy game, and they didn't even put a warn, you make me sick. There are 3 companies selling the same game, 2 of them warn about content, this is the only one who doesn't. Bye.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    *facepalm*
    edited August 2016
    You've had it explained several times to you but you are just ignoring the answers because you disagree with them. Beamdog do not actively sell to countries that have those laws so they don't need to comply with them. Here's where it was said to you:
    Troodon80 said:

If you want to talk about the specific legal requirements, here's the difference:

• Valve converts currency to the designated country; it also has a distribution centre and servers located in Europe, is registered and tax compliant in the European Union under Valve S.a.r.l. and they actively sell games to the European market in Europe.
    • GOG is part of CD Projekt S.A., located in Poland, a European Union country, while GOG.com itself is located in Cyprus, another country that joined the European Union in 2004. They, similar to Steam, sell their games to a world wide market under similar circumstances and must obey the local/state laws of the countries they operate in.
    • Beamdog is located in Canada, their main distribution is the United States. Currency is listed, and stated clearly, in United States Dollar (USD/$). Under that provision, the ESRB is voluntary. Retail outlets can have policies in place to not sell games without a rating, but since Beamdog is its own distribution outlet that doesn't matter and they can ignore the guideline to display it. It has, however, been stated several times on the forum that it inherits the same age rating that the original games had.
    If Beamdog had a headquarters in the UK, they would, by UK law, be required to display an age rating (PEGI) prominently on the site and not be obscured. Beamdog does not have a headquarters in the UK, nor does it make any outright attempt to appeal to the UK (or EU) market by itself. GOG and Valve display the age rating because they have to an obligation to certain EU member states, Beamdog doesn't because it's optional in their country of origin.

Ultimately this is clearly about your dislike of the gay romance options... but you'll accept magic and trolls and characters being the children of gods.

However, you are as entitled to your opinions just as other people are entitled to call you on them. Nobody has been rude to you - but you are being just rude in response.

If you really think the games are that bad then I'd suggest you find something less offensive for you.

Good Luck!

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'm interested in hearing which lines of dialogue in SOD are unsuitable for children. Can we get a quote?

BG romances are, after all, nothing but dialogue.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    BG is rated T it was never meant for children in the first place.
    BG was in fact rated, and also in EE there are many of the upper there genoicidies, the army destroying any village, torture in the temple of cyriac, murders, poison an army, blow them up, violence and much more, regardless BG did not have have sexual reference but EE have many romances, so it should be rated, expecially because you can't sell online to another country who has the PEGI as a law, only in EUROPE there are about 5 nations who have it as laws. Get some infos before talking at all. The PEGI, do you know that in Europe we don't have it only, and the countries without it as a law are going to adopt the PEGI as a law right these days. When you do business with countries with different laws you accept them or you don't sell. Like i said put all your gay romances i care nothing, i know i'm not playing BG anyway, but put a warning, you failed even in doing that. Wanna bet they gonna have to add it.
    Nobody in BG popups saying i used to do this and that, because in bg there were no romance, did you really play it or just the EE. Don't make me laugh.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited August 2016
    @LoveViconia: In the original game, it was possible to sleep with Phaere, Jaheira, Aerie, and Viconia. Viconia's romance in particular was overtly sexual. Phaere was not subtle about it either.

Unless for some reason you mean BG1 but not BG2, even though both games predate EE and Beamdog's involvement by years. Beamdog did not introduce the romance system.

Wanna bet they gonna have to add it.

Yes.
    edited August 2016
    I apologize in advance to the mods if this is going too far, but I'm about to make you look like an idiot here.

regardless BG did not have have sexual reference

you say? Ladies and gentlemen, exhibit A:
    So, who are you guys? Ye here to buy some iron or somethin'? Ya know, while ye're here, maybe ya should give me some advice. Me wife's been complaining lately, mostly about our late-night life. Ya see, with all the stress and trouble lately, it's taken a little starch out of my maypole, if ye get me meaning.

That not enough for you? How 'bout this one then, exhibit B:
    Be aware, Mazzy, I've something long, hard, and low to the ground ye're free to touch and fondle. Child, no need to glare! 'Twas me axe I was referring to... it's a joke!

And just to satisfy the rule of three, how about this gem here, a personal favorite of mine from a character I don't even like!
    The price of flesh is obsession, Minsc. I've been obsessed, smitten, bewitched, and taken by many things, but the only rodent in my pants doesn't squeak when I touch it.

• KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Why are you guys still replying to him? He's moving the goalposts again, now by narrowing down his subject to BG1 only. Of course, he's still wrong, because in BG1 there's the Undercellar. There's also Safana and her myriad of innuendos. Not to mention Coran spreading his seed everywhere (and the result of this being a QUEST in the titular city).
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Dear lord, why did I just read this abscess of a thread? Still, I would like to know what @LoveViconia was getting at here:
    I asked something, because i have found myself in a bad situation, has this game before its realease gave a little warning that it was not suitable for a certain kind of players? Do you get what i mean? It's not a game what is going to tell you what is right and what is not about sexuality, expecially talking about that kind of players who have found themself playing a game with a content not suitable for them. If you get what i mean, and no i'm not refering to those users who are a certain age to take if for fun. Got it now? If you did not next time i'll be really explicit about it.
    Maybe I've got too much time on my hands but I consider this to be almost quality entertainment and want to squeeze as much out of it I can before this thread gets inevitably closed.

I am a sad person, I know.
    edited August 2016

Nobody in BG popups saying i used to do this and that, because in bg there were no romance, did you really play it or just the EE. Don't make me laugh.

BG1:

On meeting a group of Hobgoblins, the PC calls them 'Knobgoblins'.
    On meeting a guard in Cloakwood mine, the guard tells the PC he can't get it up for his wife and asks for advice
    The golden pantaloons guy wants a big pleat that will make 'daddy proud'.
    Calahan describes Mistress Mallory as a willing partner... although she's got a disease of some sort.

Just a few random conversations that spring to mind that have sexual content.

Or is it just sexual romance that offends you?
This discussion has been closed.