Skip to content

[MOD] Golem Construction for Spellcasters

Comments

• GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Thanks, i'll try it asap, how many golems can the party have at once?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434

Thanks, i'll try it asap, how many golems can the party have at once?

You can have up to 3 golems following the party at the same time. It is possible to construct more, but you have to put them into guard mode.
    The fix doesn't seem to work, could be due to EET? I don't know.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s9i7jbrbygyjgvu/SETUP-A7!GOLEMRESETFIX.DEBUG?dl=0
    Oops, I created the fix based on the current development version of the mod which contains additional files. Try the attached file.
    Works fine now, thanks!
    I found an invalid item in Amuana's tomb (it's in the shadow temple, where the ghost of the boy gives you the shadow wardstone). I'm not sure it comes from this exact mod but looking it up in EEkeeper revealed an A7!EMPTY name.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8p1uaf06fmmcrzk/000000168-Invalid 999 A7.7z?dl=0

It's in the first empty slot of the first character on this save (EET save).

edited September 2016
    Interesting. This is an invisible placeholder item from the random treasure tables. It should not be visible, nor should you be able to pick it up. I have to test it further.

The item is only removable via resource editor. I have removed it in the attached save.

Update: It looks like placeholder items don't work as intended. I'll replace them with a single gold piece in the next release.
    Ah, you shouldn't have, I had a save prior.

Since this was on EET and there was some bugs with loot tables on EET in an older release it may be an EET bug? I haven't found any other such item but since they are almost invisible I can't say for sure I didn't miss it.
    Another question/remark(i'm on a roll!). I've noticed zombies drop tons of body parts and maggot infested bodies, they also seems to drop bones sometimes while I can't remember skeletons dropping bones, shouldn't skeletons drop bones more than zombies?
    There is a high chance for skeleton warriors and bone golems to drop piles of bones. Regular skeletons don't drop anything. Since bones are only needed for Bone Golems you should still have enough materials to build lots of them. You can also find bones in graves and other places infested with undead.

Zombies, ghouls, mummies, and the like have a 5% chance to drop bones, and a 20 - 35% chance to drop a body.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    It's very nice BUT made the game become too easy.

I've builded a Perfect Flesh Golem, the top of the basic, and 90% of the battles I just watched him killing people.

It's a fun mod, but you guys must be aware of this.
    Getting the balance right is a very difficult and time-consuming task. I agree that you can breeze through lairs of certain creature types with a single golem without it breaking a sweat. This is especially the case with magic-oriented creatures. One of the optional tweak components improves enemy AI, so enemy mages can actually hurt golems more effectively. Other opponents may fell a golem in two hits because of their bad AC and low HP.

I have made more adjustments in the next version (which I'll release shortly).

Which of your encounters became too easy because of the golems?
    On the contrary, all my mages are multi classed and I haven't used golems for a while now because every fight turns into protecting my golems (i'm only level 12 though), it's still super cool to put the golems behind the De'Arnise drawbridge though.

I think more context is needed, I haven't reached epic levels yet so maybe golems are just too strong at higher levels?
    I haven't found golems too strong at higher levels either, but it really depends on the golem type and how to use them.

Clay golems can still shine at epic levels because of their immunity to bladed, piercing and missile weapons. Stone Golems provide you with a free and instantly cast AoE slow spell. Brain Golems can disable many opponents in their vicinity by their psionic ability, and so on.

They don't tend to be as useful if you simply use them to attack head on though.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    argent77 said:

Getting the balance right is a very difficult and time-consuming task. I agree that you can breeze through lairs of certain creature types with a single golem without it breaking a sweat. This is especially the case with magic-oriented creatures. One of the optional tweak components improves enemy AI, so enemy mages can actually hurt golems more effectively. Other opponents may fell a golem in two hits because of their bad AC and low HP.

I have made more adjustments in the next version (which I'll release shortly).

Which of your encounters became too easy because of the golems?

Pretty much every battle to be honest. Only two things made me sweat (apart from bosses like Firkraag): other golems and fire elementals.

The Perfect Flesh Golem sweeped the Planar Sphere quest (including the demons), the Shadow Temple, everything in Firkraag's dungeon (except for the efreetis, golems and Firkraag himself). Absolute anything inside Athkatla. The list is extense.

I builded him in Chapter 2 and took him to ToB. Didn't even bothered in taking a better one (like an Iron Golem) because he was damn good in smashing things and became kind of family.
    What's your character? You need lvl 14 for perfect flesh golem and that's quite a bunch of exp.
    It seems the golems aren't properly giving me vision of their surroundings :

https://i.imgur.com/iJJbQt3.jpg

It seems the golems aren't properly giving me vision of their surroundings :

https://i.imgur.com/iJJbQt3.jpg

Yep, that's a bug or limitation of the game engine. It occurs if more than 8 creatures are using the "Clear Fog of War" effect on the same map (including party members). There is nothing I can do about it. It also affects cutscenes which provide their own "Clear Fog of War" effect.
    Ah I see, I believe that means I should avoid having 2 golems + Afaaq and a party of 6 right?
    Actually it can already been triggered in an unmodded game if you have a full party plus familiar. Several cutscenes use more than one "Clear Fog of War" objects (like the Irenicus cutscene in Spellhold when starting Chapter 3) which won't work correctly anymore.

The bug is not game breaking though. You can still see the creature with selection circle, but you can't see the surrounding environment anymore. It might also play tricks with the enemy combat AI.
    I'm in Firkraag's dungeon and the dungeon's golems are going berserk and attacking each other at times. Is this intended?
    No, that's not intended. It's caused by the "1% chance going berserk on enemy sighted" effect I forgot to remove from enemy golems. It has already been fixed in the development branch of the mod.
    Damn, you're too good at this for my testing skills :D

New version: Golem Construction for Spellcasters v2.2

Changes in v2.2:
    • Added German translation
    • Added Polish translation (big thanks to @Cahir )
    • Thieves with UAI can also build golems (using Bard level requirements)
    • Rebalanced golem building requirements
    • Minor adjustments of golem stats
    • Improved overall EET compatibility
    • Improved basic golem AI
    • Adapted previously hardcoded strings regarding familiars not allowed to execute specific actions
    • Fixed a bug that gave you duplicate golem-related abilities when continuing an EET game in SoA
    • Fixed a bug regarding random treasures found in containers which sometimes contained unremovable items
    • Fixed an issue which didn't properly keep track of the number of active golems
    • Fixed the golem removal script at the end of the SoD plot which had serious side effects in later campaigns in EET
    • Fixed accidental removal of a plot item in WK if "Replace original Golem Manual" tweak have been installed
    • Fixed enemy golem behavior if "Golems for enemy spellcasters" or "Greater variety of enemy golem types" tweaks have been installed
    • Several textual fixes and updates
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Great job, @argent77! A lot of fixes and Polish translation. Thanks!
    Added a screenshot of (nearly) all available exotic golems you are able to construct to the first post.

Preview:

• Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    Hi Argent77,

Really like this mod!

I just killed the Adamantine golem in Firkragg's lair and it dropped an iron bar instead of an Adamantine bar. Is this as intended?

I just killed the Adamantine golem in Firkragg's lair and it dropped an iron bar instead of an Adamantine bar. Is this as intended?

Yes, that's intended. Adamantite Golems have a high chance to drop an iron bar and a low chance to drop adamantine.
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    Thanks for the answer!

I just fought mind flayers wit the maggot golem and it was stunned by the mind blast. I thought that shouldn't affect golems?
    Yeah, mindflayer psionic attacks also work on golems. I'm unsure whether to change it since it would give them a big advantage in these fights. Golems are immune to intelligence drain, however.