Skip to content

[MOD] Golem Construction for Spellcasters

Comments

• AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    argent77 said:

Added "Spell Revisions" compatibility
    What exactly did you do? I've tried to browse the code for info but didn't find anythig SR related. Should this mod be installed before or after SR?

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    One of the tweaks of this mod makes golems vulnerable to a number of spells (e.g. "Flesh to Stone" can turn a Flesh Golem into a Stone Golem, or spells dealing cold damge can slow down Clay Golems).

I have added extra checks, so that spells modified by Spell Revisions are still working as expected. SR must be installed first. The code changes can be found in this commit.
    Fantastic.
    I rarely write much praise about mods, but this is awesome work... I can't wait to see more of this. A must-have mod.

Thank you!

The present version is pretty much complete feature-wise. There is currently only a small cosmetic bug in the BG1 part that will be fixed in a future update. I'm also not yet really happy with the Mithral Golems which are currently just a weaker version of Adamantite Golems. But I have no idea how to make them more unique.
    Fwiw to you, the only mod I've ever played that has such attention to detail/places enemies and items where they should be/is immersive and doesn't feel "out of this world" is aTweaks. On a minor sidenote; given that this (I assume, looking at the code..) goes after SCS; which goes after BG2Tweaks, that has a component "identify all items"; would you be willing to make a small piece of code; or a seperate component, which makes tomes identified?
    Aasim said:

On a minor sidenote; given that this (I assume, looking at the code..) goes after SCS; which goes after BG2Tweaks, that has a component "identify all items"; would you be willing to make a small piece of code; or a seperate component, which makes tomes identified?

I'll see what I can do.
  • Kai50Kai50 Member Posts: 59
    thanks for the advice. I tried that but when I run it it just isn't doing anything. it just says SETUP-XYZ.EXE.DEBUG Queried and then a flashing line like its waiting for me to type something. Cant install or uninstall anything at the moment. no idea what to do :/
    It might be a issue of insufficient privileges. Does the installer trigger the UAC dialog for requesting elevated privileges? If not then you can try running it with administrator rights (right-click on setup-xyz.exe and select "Run as administrator").
    argent77 said:

It might be a issue of insufficient privileges. Does the installer trigger the UAC dialog for requesting elevated privileges? If not then you can try running it with administrator rights (right-click on setup-xyz.exe and select "Run as administrator").

No that didn't seem to do anything. I deleted some debug files and now it seems to be working.. well its back to how it was at least but still have the same problem xD never mind. thanks for trying :)
    Hi me again lol. different question this time xD so I have started a new game and I now own the sphere stronghold but it is not letting me construct any golems. says "was unable to in this location.." I tried starting a new game in tob to try it in the pocket plane just to see if it was an issue with the sphere itself but it does the same thing there. any ideas what I am doing wrong?
    The mod checks several conditions before it marks a location ready for building golems. In the case of the Planar Sphere Lavok must have died and you must have learned how to build at least one golem type. If Charname is a mage and can make the Sphere his/her own stronghold you also have to wait until Teos shows up for the first time.
    argent77 said:

The mod checks several conditions before it marks a location ready for building golems. In the case of the Planar Sphere Lavok must have died and you must have learned how to build at least one golem type. If Charname is a mage and can make the Sphere his/her own stronghold you also have to wait until Teos shows up for the first time.

yeah I have done all the sphere stuff. you just need to read the books to learn how to build right?
    You have to 'use' the manuals. Place them into a quickslot and use them like you would use a wand or potion.
  • RangeltoftRangeltoft Member Posts: 83
    @argent77 A quick question, a few pages back you talked about losing exotic golems if you imported from SoD. Does that mean that the tomes are not in BG2EE or just that if you have them in your inventory when you move from SoD to BG2EE they will disapear with the rest of your gear?
    You don't really lose anything. I made sure that there will only be a single instance of each exotic golem tome available. So if you imported a character from SoD who already learned how to build a specific exotic golem you won't find another instance of that type in BG2.
  • TheMetaphysicianTheMetaphysician Member Posts: 76
    edited April 2017
    This mod looks awesome. I'm installing it, but hoping for some help with evaluating the last install option, to nerf the golems. I can't evaluate that option, because I don't know how powerful they are without the nerf and how nerfed they'll be with it. Can I get some kind of calibration to help me understand that?

I'm a longtime BG player, but just discovered SCS and played through BG1 with it, and found it enjoyably hard. I'm installing BG2 with SCS cranked almost all the way up, except for mage pre-buffing. And I'll be using spell revisions/item revisions/Ascension. Will the golems break the difficulty if I don't nerf them, or will they just be pleasingly powerful?

Thanks!

Edit: oh, and should I install this (with the AI component) before or after SCS?
    edited May 2017
    I don't have much experience with SCS (only played with it once long ago). If you want a challenge you should definitely install the nerf tweak. It mainly reduces magic and damage resistances as well as immunity to enchanted weapons. (Immunity to enchanted weapons is the main reason why golems can be seen as overpowered in specific situations.)

The component "Improve enemy spellcaster AI" will most likely have no effect when SCS is installed, as it only improves the original AI combat scripts of the game.

Btw, this mod should be installed after SCS because of another compatibility issue that is resolved only if this mod detects SCS.
    Post edited by argent77 on
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    argent77 said:

Btw, this mod should be installed after SCS because of another compatibility issue that is resolved only if this mod detects SCS.

@argent77 This is something which I don't remember being mentioned to me. Did I forgot about it or it wasn't mentioned when you update mod/detect compatibility issue?
    @ALIEN I remembered incorrectly. SCS doesn't have to be installed first. The mod patches a script file that isn't touched by SCS, so installation order isn't important.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    @argent77 Great, that means no changes for BWS install order are required for this mod.
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    @argent77 Just wanted to thank you for your hard work on this mod. Great attention to detail, and made this playthrough very enjoyable. I'm in Siege of Dragonspear now and I love the mini sprite for the stone golem. Great work my friend. Very excited for Shadows of Amn.
    Thank you. If you enjoyed it in SoD already you will have even more fun in SoA/ToB. ;)
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    edited May 2017
    Hi argent77. Been awhile (because of how solid the mod is), but I found something I wanted to get your input on.

When you have one party member who learns golem crafting, the Ore Merchant in Waukeen's Prominade will sell you components. However, once you start Sir Salizar's quest for a church, the Ore Merchant will never sell you golem components again. Even after completing the quest. Is this suppose to be like this? Get the stuff before the quest or else you cannot get stuff?
    Jerlia should sell you components again after you completed Sir Sarles' quest. What does she say when you talk to her?
    I get the option to ask for the alternative to real Illithium. I did finish the quest and started the next one and all she does is ask if I want the alternative or leave her alone.
    edited May 2017
    There are several opening lines dealing with illithium or the alloy. Which one is it?
    1. "Well now, you've returned. I've got the alloy that you wanted. Looks just like illithium, and it has most of the same properties as well. There's just a slight problem."
    2. "Do you have the 500 gold yet? That alloy is burning a hole in my pocket."
    3. "I trust you got on with Unger? Don't go telling me that you buggered up my only source for illithium."

How exactly did you solve the quest?
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited May 2017
    What are the stats of the
    Ruby Golem
    (in IWD)? golem_information-iwd.txt doesn't mention it.

Nice mod though, everything seems to be working well. The ingredients are well-placed, and even help make the game world feel less empty and more realistic (i.e. iron bars make for much better content of a mining cart next to a forge, than mere gems...).

Now if only Beamdog were to fix the party formations mess when you have more than 6 characters selected... :tongue:
    Post edited by ineth on
    edited September 2020
    That golem was meant to be an easter egg (see screenshot of exotic golems in first post), so there are no stats or even its existence mentioned in the readme.

Stats:
    of Ruby Golems (IWD:EE):
    - Min. level: 16 (-2 for Transmuters, +4 for Bards)
    - Ingredients:
    - Four Ruby Gems
    - Two Fire Agate Gems
    - One scroll of Ruby Ray of Reversal
    - Stats:
    - STR: 19
    - HP: 80
    - AC: -6
    - THAC0: 4
    - APR: 2
    - Saves: 7/9/8/8/10
    - Resistances:
    - Magic: 100
    - Fire: 75
    - Magic Fire: 75
    - Cold: 25
    - Magic Cold: 25
    - Electricity: 100
    - Acid: 25
    - Slashing: 25
    - Piercing: 40
    - Missile: 50
    - Immune to non-magical weapons
    - May cast Ruby Ray of Reversal
    Post edited by argent77 on
    It is none of those. I get two options (not home so para-phrasing).
    1) I want to ask you about the Illithium substitute.
    2) Nothing at the moment.