Skip to content

What is your irl class?

ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
Since the poll I made yesterday was an utter train wreck I decided to make a new poll.
(People choosing their fav class instead of their own, people not keeping in mind that there are countless additional classes, etc.)

What class do you feel fits you the most?
(Not the one you like best or prefer to play as.)

This is based on your job, hobbies, talents, interests and personality.
The game edition doesn't matter. You can be a neutral evil ranger, an orc wizard or a barbarian/warlock if that fits you.
The classes are more based on widely accepted archetypes in this case.

Here are a few things that correspond with some of the classes:
- Barbarian: Brute, strong, reckless, brawn over brains, strength over finesse
- Blackguard: Black metalhead, goth, violent
- Bard: Artistic (musician, writer, actor, etc.), charismatic
- Cleric: Religious, wise
- Druid: Strong affinity for nature and animals, probably into esoterics
- Fighter: Can actually fight, equaly strong and dexterous
- Monk: Knows eastern hand to hand combat (kung fu, karate, etc.), follows eastern philosophy/ religion
- Paladin: Strong protective instinct, loyal, strong morals, natural leader, probably religious
- Ranger: Marksman (archery, rifles, etc.), survival skills, good sense of orientation
- Rogue: Cleptomanic, dexterous, good with machinery (locks, watches, motors, etc.), quick
- Shaman: Esoterics, spirtitualism, fortune telling
- Sorcerer: Naturally gifted, doesn't do well with traditional learning
- Warlock: Actual satanist, goth, unusually ambitious/ hungry for knowledge, book-smart
- Wizard: Scholar, stage magician, book-smart, scientist

In case you have problems choosing, take this handy test I prepared (it's a WIP, I'd be thankful for feedback on how to make it more accurate).

Don't forget that there are quite a few more classes out there (I didn't bother listing them though, because I feel they are either too obscure/ uncommon, too similar to one of the other classes or they are simply hybrid classes). Examples: Witch, alchemist, oracle, summoner, chevalier, all of the prestige classes, etc.

As always, please specify in the comments.

If something isn't clear, please ask before voting :smile:
  1. What is your irl class?89 votes
    1. Bard - Wouldn't you rather a tune? A sonnet? Some grand melody?
      14.61%
    2. Cleric, Monk - Shar guides my hand.
        4.49%
    3. Druid, Shaman - Nature takes the life she gave!
        4.49%
    4. Fighter, Barbarian, Blackguard - Live by the sword, live a good, long life!
        5.62%
    5. Paladin - My honor is my life.
        0.00%
    6. Ranger - The bustle of the forest makes me feel insignificant.
        8.99%
    7. Rogue - I can dance on the head of a pin as well.
        3.37%
    8. Wizard, Warlock, Sorcerer - Elminster this, Elminster that. Give ME 2000 years and a pointy hat and I'll kick his arse!
      28.09%
    9. Dual-/ Multiclassed
      16.85%
    10. Other
      13.48%

Comments

• JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    I'm going to keep the same choice I did yesterday, I invoke a lot of planning, strategy and research, and often employ simple, sometimes brute-force methods that any one could use if they tried. Fighter/Wizard.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    As an artist, bard fits me the most. Though I do feel that sorcerer and barbarian also fit me in a few ways. Not to forget my knowledge my actual ranger knowledge. So probably a skald with one or two additional levels in ranger?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    So I got Wizard on your test but as we discussed yesterday Technomacer/Wizard/Fighter/Warlock would be pretty appropriate.
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    Your description of cleric seems an oxymoron when applied irl
    edited August 2016

So I got Wizard on your test but as we discussed yesterday Technomacer/Wizard/Fighter/Warlock would be pretty appropriate.

Yeah, technomancer is a prestige class for arcane spellcasters.
    edited August 2016

Depends on the religion and how one practices it :tongue:
    (I don't want to point fingers >.>)
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I enjoyed your test very much. It allowed me to pick several options that I felt better fit me then options I was given in some of the other tests that I have taken.

Having said that, it picked bard as my class. Do you think I should go with that here, or is there some combination of bard with another class that has more contact with nature that might fit better? I am only familiar with BG classes.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I like dissecting systems and figuring out how things work. I'm a wonk.

Zap! Kapow! Pew pew pew! Pew pew!
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Is that homebrew? I might steal that for my own campaign. Fey, Bards, and Necromancers are my favorite things in fantasy n_n

Depends on the religion and how one practices it :tongue:
    (I don't want to point fingers >.>)
    I stand by my original, entirely inappropriate comment.

Good work on the test!

I enjoyed your test very much. It allowed me to pick several options that I felt better fit me then options I was given in some of the other tests that I have taken.

Having said that, it picked bard as my class. Do you think I should go with that here, or is there some combination of bard with another class that has more contact with nature that might fit better? I am only familiar with BG classes.

Yay, thank you :smiley:
    Well, you could dual-class as a bard/ druid or bard/ ranger. There is also the bard archetype (those are the Pathfinder equivalents to class kits in AD&D) called Animal Speaker. Kinda depends though in what way you commune with nature.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Oh! In 3.5 there's also the Fochlucan Lyrist that's a bard/druid multiclass with a dash of rogue. It's meant to emulate the OD&D Bard I think.
    http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050107a&page=2

Also in 5e with the Lore Bard you can learn spells from other classes at certain levels, meaning you could take druid spells.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Ok, I took your test and it gave me Bard as a result. That was rather predictable.

About your test, I geniuely think that 8 questions makes too little data to work with - the margin of error is quite high, since one answer that or other way can make a relatively huge difference. I'm also wonder what favourite animal have anything to do with out class. And finally, I took your test 3 more times after that, with intent to see if I am able to get a class I want. And all 3 times I get exactly what I want (Blackguard, Cleric and Fighter) - many answers are just to obvious, so one can "choose" his/her desired result just like that.
    @O_Bruce I am very open to suggestions for additional questions (I tried adding fav music genres, but I had problems associating them with the classes).

The favourite animal question is basically just flavour, based on which animal traditionally corresponds with which class. Symbolism, nothing more.

As for the predictability, that is kinda the point. The test is not supossed to be secret, it's supossed to be logical. When someone picks the wrong answers on purpose they are just lying to themselves.
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    Mostly ranger I suppose, that's what the test results say too, though there was alot of druid and bard in there as well.

I think this poll and the test are a very nice way to have forumites get to know eachother in an easy and non-invasive way, no matter what some might think about their scientific relevance.

As for specifying: I got animal companions, I like to walk a lot, especially in nature/semi-nature, and sometimes I even look like a lost boy scout or a fired park ranger, so that would explain most of the ranger bit. The druid bit: Well, give me a garden and some time alone with it, and it'll turn into a semi-wild grove of sorts, with lots of berries and some nuts and wild edibles, as well as some common medicinal and/or psychedelic herbs, and lots of places for small woodland critters to find food and shelter. The bard bit: Stories. Books, film, tv-series, games, anything. And I'm pretty proficient with words too (short words, long words and two pips in bastard words), in my native tongue anyway. And though my singing would probably not raise anyones morale, it still might be useful for scaring off enemies. And neighbours.
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    edited August 2016
    Like I said yesterday, I am no musician. But I write a lot of fiction. I like to think I can spin a good tale. Sounds like a bard to me.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The test says I'm an Alchemist. Which everyone who has tasted my unique flavoured homecooking would probably agree. I wonder why...?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I got bard.

A suggestion for the quiz would be to separate the hobbies into an often, sometimes, never answer. Many of those answers fit (partying, writing, rustling jimmies) that choosing just one was a dilemma.
    edited August 2016
    Vallmyr said:

Is that homebrew? I might steal that for my own campaign. Fey, Bards, and Necromancers are my favorite things in fantasy n_n
    Umm, I'm really not sure as I often just collect these odd bits of info but rarely research them fully. Here is more info from the FR website:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Summer_rhymer

I stumbled across this stuff when also looking for a nature like bard some time ago.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Doing your quiz gives me the Monk class, which I'll admit some fascination and enjoyment of playing, at least, though my answers seem to be a bit all over the place.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Definitely wizard, though I have a level each in fighter and ranger from my distant youth.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Thank you to everyone who offered me suggestions for a class! I had great fun looking up some of these classes that I hadn’t heard of before.

I believe that I will go with a duel Bard/Druid.

I wish I could play this in BG. I think it would be great fun to charm the enemy with a gentle melody, then subtly send a swarm of insects their way… Or perhaps a wolf to surprise them from behind.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Nice test. I took it twice (as you suggested) as I have two very different skill sets, having made my living from both brewing beer and wildlife photography. Consequently I've now come up with a new multiclass - Druid/Alchemist (although I've got no idea how that would translate into 'proper' D&D - is there such a class as Schizophrenic Mercenary?).
  • redlineredline Member Posts: 296
    Philosophically a monk (and that's what past quizzes have given me), but in terms of competence I'd go with "peasant". I'm exactly the type of person who wouldn't end up on any kind of life-threatening adventure to begin with, and who wouldn't last a day if I stumbled into one by accident.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I should start taking levels in Wizard sometime.