Skip to content

A new beginning by David Gaider

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
I've come across this entry by @David_Gaider several hours ago.

"It’s been a year and a half since I stopped blogging at Tumblr.
According to many folks there, I was driven off by a group of fans from Tumblr’s rather rabid social justice crowd — which is not to say everyone from Tumblr is rabid, or that everyone interested in social justice is rabid, but some of them certainly are and that does indeed make it rather unpleasant to have a conversation in their vicinity about anything which potentially intersects with their interests. And so be it? They have a lot to be angry about, and it was pretty clear my clumsy attempts to engage with their constant questions were only making them angrier. Stepping back from that was better for them and certainly better for me.
More than that, however, it had been four months since I’d left the Dragon Age team to work on a new IP for BioWare — a fact which hadn’t yet been announced at that point, but which made continuing my blog less rewarding than before. I’d worked on Dragon Age for ten years, after all, right from the setting’s creation up to the release of Dragon Age: Inquisition in 2014, and that’s all anyone really knew about or asked questions about. Yet Dragon Age was behind me. I couldn’t talk about my new project, but I was also far less invested in talking about Dragon Age — especially with people who would continue to hold me responsible for a project I no longer had any influence over.
I suppose the first question would be “why didn’t you just turn off the ‘Ask a Question’ function?” I had written articles about game writing, after all, so why not focus solely on that? That’s true, but the blog had become a purely Q&A thing, and I can safely say my interest in talking about the craft with folks had reached a low point. So I felt it was better to just walk away.
As it turned out, my feeling of dissatisfaction was more fundamental than that. I’d left Dragon Age because I wanted to try something new, but after a year on the new project I realized that wasn’t doing it for me either. I was considering something radical (for me): leaving a place I’d worked at for more than 17 years.
Leaving Bioware
There was a narrative after I left with which some journalists became rather enamored, and that was the notion of BioWare as some sinking ship with creative folks abandoning it left and right. The list of said creatives was always rather small compared to the total, but hey — it made for an interesting story, right?
Let me be clear: it wasn’t them, it was me. BioWare is a fantastic place to work, and I still consider the people there a kind of extended family. All the negative things I hear about other game development companies never really seemed to apply there. Yet that was part of it: I’d only heard about those other companies. Perhaps the grass is always greener and so on, but I was starting to feel that working at one company for my entire career just wasn’t cutting it. I wanted to try something new, I wanted more control over what I was doing and, even more than that, I wanted to work on something different.
As it turned out, different — not necessarily something new — was the key. I began my game writing career working on Baldur’s Gate II, and thus it amuses me to no end that I ended up going to a company which (so far) is known for updating and expanding Baldur’s Gate and Baldur’s Gate II and other Infinity Engine games. I ran into Trent Oster at my gym, and he planted an idea in my head from which I just wasn’t able to escape. Considering there wasn’t really any place for me to go at BioWare, I had no choice but to take the plunge. If people want to read that as some kind of indictment of my former employer, go right ahead. They still have plenty of creatives who will do just fine without me, even if I’m missed.
Well, I hope I’m missed. A little. After 17 years, one’s ass leaves a considerable imprint on the chair, you know? And my ass is not small.
Onwards and…Upwards?
I wish I could talk about what I’m doing at Beamdog. I really, really do. My eagerness to shout it at the world kind of crawls under my skin and makes me crazy. “What are you working on now, Dave?” someone will ask me. “Shut up!” I reply and run away, arms flailing in the air.
Then they smile smugly and say, “Oh, I know what you’re working on.” And I have to let them walk away being all knowing-like even though they’re completely wrong. They can’t know. Biting my tongue has never been my strong suit.
So I suppose that’s why I’m here. As Creative Director at Beamdog, I’m busy building up a new narrative team and forming a narrative design pipeline at a place which hasn’t really had that before, so I’m thinking a lot these days about the craft of writing games and the entire process. Thus, since I can’t talk about my project, I can talk about that. Maybe I’ll opine on other things related to the gaming industry along the way, but it’ll mostly be that. Maybe nobody will be interested, but after spending a year in Pre-Production on the BioWare project only to move onto Pre-Production here…I need to actually write something or I will go goddamn crazy. It was either a novel or this, and I chose this. For now. We’ll see how things proceed."

Thanks for sharing, David!

Comments

• RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    A great read! It is so good to see you back Julius. :)
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    ajwz said:

This is a good read.
    Maybe he could talk about an entirely theoretical project, called something like, Smaulder's Bait 3, for example

hahahahhahahahhahaha, that was beautiful :)

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Gaider with the Beamblog
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

@David_Gaider has just published a new entry about Narrative Design - Learning to Love the Pain.

"I remember back in the early days of working on “Dragon Age: Origins” (before that was even its title) when I was asked to make the new game’s setting. It’s not the sort of task one gets assigned very often, and in this case it didn’t come with a lot of direction beyond ‘make something fantasy-ish…but your version of fantasy’. Lead Designer James Ohlen and I had chatted about some of the possibilities, after which I went off and made a world in the time-honored fashion of any nerd who grew up playing D&D: with a bunch of crudely-drawn maps on napkins and reams of text filled with enough twee-sounding proper nouns to make your head spin.
    I’d really warmed up to the task, after some initial trepidation. This was going to be my subversion of the fantasy genre, a world that was in the aftermath of its ‘Lord of the Rings’ era where dragons were dead and magic was waning. I could take all the tropes I disliked about fantasy as a genre and turn them on their head, say something about the genre itself! I was psyched.
    James was less psyched, as it turned out. “Where’s the magic?” he asked, after which I quickly learned the difference between creating a setting that made for interesting reading on the page and one that made for something you could build an interesting game around. I grudgingly began to iterate based on his feedback, inching towards the version of the Dragon Age setting fans are familiar with today…but there was one change he wanted which didn’t sit very well with me: he wanted an “evil horde”, some ubiquitous enemy like the standard fantasy orcs which the player wouldn’t feel bad about killing. Dragon Age fans will recognize this role as what eventually became the darkspawn — but, back then, they simply didn’t exist. There was no such thing in the world I’d created."

I can just see Dave now...

He wants magic... fine, here's your magic! *locks all mages up in a tower unable to escape*
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Agreed @batoor, to me the darkspawn and the scourge leader (a dragon, sigh.. ) felt very unimaginative and was the least interresting part of the setting and lore. The thing about locked up mages, templars and blood magic etc felt interresting. Would have been interresting to see what it would have been like even without any magic (maybe even more similar to Witcher?)
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited February 2017
    James was less psyched, as it turned out. “Where’s the magic?” he asked, after which I quickly learned the difference between creating a setting that made for interesting reading on the page and one that made for something you could build an interesting game around.

Interesting. This just proves that dark fantasy doesn't mix well with high magic. It always felt wrong and out of place that Morrigan could throw fireballs like there was no tomorrow, not to mention at such a low level.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i wonder now that david is gone that whole set up for the elven gods being the new center point for dragon age is gonna get dropped.
  • TarlonnielTarlonniel Member Posts: 13
    If there'd been no magic in Dragon Age, I probably wouldn't have tried the game at all. Mages are my #1 go-to gotta-have class in any fantasy game. But low-level magic might have been fun - playing out the last gasps of the wizards.

And I love all the darkspawn/archdemon stuff. Thanks, Mr. Ohlen! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    chimaera said:

In my opinion "generic fireballs" work well in hack & slash games like Diablo, but in roleplaying games I'd like to see some involvement of magic outside of combat, e.g. by using spells to solve quests.

Sounds like you'd enjoy LucasArt's Loom.

That game is all about using spells for solving puzzles and stuff.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ArgyleArgyle Member Posts: 48
    I agree that the Darkspawn were a little too central in Dragon Age. Almost every major plot advancement involved conquering more Darkspawn; this grew repetitive and I ended up finishing the game just for the sake of finishing. Thankfully we had one major subplot with werewolves, but that was about it. I wouldn't want an entire adventure of facing nothing but Drow, either.

A low magic game could certainly still be done in a fun way. A good RPG story revolves around the PC making choices and growing into his/her class abilities, whatever they are. Baldur's Gate II was a high magic setting because lowly goblins carried scrolls as treasure, and the spell system was developed into a complex ensemble of spell - counter spell - counter counter spell. That's the part of high magic I particularly didn't like, where you would have to spend entire rest periods to charge up contingencies and sequencers. Low magic can be done ... as DA demonstrated, a simple first level Sleep spell from AD&D can be devasting at any level depending on whether creatures can easily resist its effects. For a low magic basis, I'd look to the old AD&D Psionic system as a starting point.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited February 2017

It's not that the original idea I had for the setting had no magic, but it was low magic - spellcasting was much more restricted, in that you only found mages in the towers and their magic was very much the crowd control sort rather than fireballs and lightning bolts.

That, however, didn't play very well. The gameplay team didn't want to make subtle spellcasting - they wanted fireballs. They also didn't want mages locked up in towers, because that meant you couldn't have spellcasters in random groups of opponents you came across - it wouldn't make sense. Hence why I mentioned a difference between a setting that was fun to read about and one that you could build a game around...all my thought had been going into the former rather than the latter, as in I only considered what I found interesting and not the limitations that would slap onto other parts of the team or how fun that would be in reality for the player.

One could still have had all mages locked up, but then have some outsiders be trained in wands and scrolls and have the templars "force" the mages to create wands and scrolls in the towers and then sell them or trade them to their allies for benefits to their own group. They could have made the mages work like santa's little helpers, hehe :D This means that you could still have had enemy spellslingers, but that they were normal people trained in using staffs and scrolls with a set number of charges or like a fixed amount of "mana" which will run out and need to be replenished at a mage tower again.

So if the charname would be an actual mage they would have to have remained 'hidden' and pretended to use staffs and stuff instead. And you could also sometimes encounter real mages that have remained hidden from the templars, like Morrigan or some bloodmage sects etc.