Skip to content

Making it Work: Inventory

Comments

• Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    It could - but then you'd still be wrong and I'd still be right :P
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    edited September 2016
    This is not leading anywhere, guys.

Also, I'm trying to make the ground box wider, but it looks weird to me. There's either too much blank space around the slots, or if I even out the slots to occupy more space then there's too much space between them.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Honestly, there is no wrong. I’m just trying to point out that there needs to be some softening and organic elements brought back in to compensate for the new harder elements that have been added. :)
    Maybe put the ground slots in a different frame and make only the frame the correct width ?

(I hope that makes sense).
    Yeah, I don’t like the idea of widening the ground box at all.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,187
    edited September 2016
    I'm obviously in favor of having one box bordering the bottom space that contain both inventory and ground as in my mockup. The box around ground icons only inside the bottom space feels a little bussy.
    Here are some visualizations of what I'm talking about:

Mr2150 said:

Maybe put the ground slots in a different frame and make only the frame the correct width ?

Sorry I don't follow. Can you explain?
    edited September 2016
    Pecca said:

I'm obviously in favor of having one box at the bottom containing both inventory and ground as in my mockup. The box around ground icons only inside the bottom space feels a little bussy.

I know what you mean, but I'd like the inventory slots and the ground slots to be more distinguished from each other visually.
    Maybe using @Pecca’s suggestion leaves room to add some vining around the bottom or something?
    edited September 2016
    Adul said:

Pecca said:

I'm obviously in favor of having one box at the bottom containing both inventory and ground as in my mockup. The box around ground icons only inside the bottom space feels a little bussy.

I know what you mean, but I'd like the inventory slots and the ground slots to be more distinguished from each other visually.
    In that case there could be two boxes instead of one divided by a bit of art. (though personally I don't mind that they aren't divided, it was like that in vanilla)

Honestly, there is no wrong. I’m just trying to point out that there needs to be some softening and organic elements brought back in to compensate for the new harder elements that have been added. :)

I completely agree with that.

I'll put this in spoilers as it's not directly relevant but here's what I mean:

Here's two houses - the one on the left is more visually pleasing because the windows line up. They are both viable houses but the house on the right just looks wrong because the elements are not aligned as well as they could be.

It may be 'character' but that can also come from how I decide to paint the house or whether I put ornaments in the garden or whatever.

Ok, how about light vining across the bottom that kind of “grows” up a bit between the boxes?
    I agree about the symmetry part @Mr2150, but you can have symmetry without having things line up exactly.
    What I mean is something like this (from my old UI tweak mod, only with ground icons placed horizontally of course:
    If we are considering frames, I'd say the inventory screen has four main areas:

The blue area is the title of the window, and the character details.
    The red area is stuff I own - it is directly under my control
    The green area is the consequences of the red area - and how it reflects my stats.
    The yellow area is stuff I could own but I have to pick it up and put it somewhere in the red area.

I'd suggest that top/bottom and left/right the outermost frames of the red/green/yellow areas should line up underneath the blue area.
    edited September 2016
    @Adul - that is working much better for me (OCD-wise of course) it also follows my frames post just below yours :)
    Okay, still even if divided, I think the overall screen would look better if they used the same background.
    Mr2150 said:

If we are considering frames, I'd say the inventory screen has four main areas:

The blue area is the title of the window, and the character details.
    The red area is stuff I own - it is directly under my control
    The green area is the consequences of the red area - and how it reflects my stats.
    The yellow area is stuff I could own but I have to pick it up and put it somewhere in the red area.

I'd suggest that top/bottom and left/right the outermost frames of the red/green/yellow areas should line up underneath the blue area.
    This makes sense to me, so how about this:

(The left side of the ground box now lines up with the left side of the AC stat box.)
    edited September 2016
    The alignment works for me.

I also take @Pecca 's point about the same background for the ground slots so perhaps this Ground box frame could be just a divider but they have the same background - to give the illusion of a frame...

The editing may be slightly off...

@Ravenslight - was that similar to what you meant with:

Ok, how about light vining across the bottom that kind of “grows” up a bit between the boxes?
    Like this?

No. I think someone who can make visuals would be helpful here again. Think @Pecca’s layout with a single ground background. Then add some kind of vining art to the very bottom. Then have a little of that vining grow up between the inventory and the ground box sections.
    I don’t mean to separate the two sections entirely.
    edited September 2016
    I like the idea, but I don't know if that would work with the BG:EE and SoD art styles.
    How about this: no separators or boxes, just the inventory slots "come in" from the left, while the ground slots "come in" from the right.

I like it like that however I'd have the scrollbar on the right, just for consistency.
    Yeah, I don’t know about that, but I don’t like the long, totally separating line at all. Also, the more I think about it, maybe it would work better. The inventory ground area would be simpler in “box grayscale”.” Then it could be vines that is used for BG and BGII, and something a bit different with SoD?
    edited September 2016
    Mr2150 said:

I like it like that however I'd have the scrollbar on the right, just for consistency.

Yeah, that makes more sense.

edited September 2016
    For me, that doesn’t help.

Edit: I mean the pulling them apart part.
    It strikes me as less symmetrical then before.

Yeah, I don’t know about that, but I don’t like the long, totally separating line at all. Also, the more I think about it, maybe it would work better. The inventory ground area would be simpler in “box grayscale”.” Then it could be vines that is used for BG and BGII, and something a bit different with SoD?

Well, we could just add a little note: "Maybe put something cool in between the inventory item slots and the ground item slots." :tongue: