Skip to content

What do you think of this idea: 1st-level spells = cantrips

The user and all related content has been deleted.
  1. What do you think of this idea: 1st-level spells = cantrips29 votes
    1. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
      44.83%
    2. Get out of here with that garbage!
      55.17%
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Balancing the Armor and Shield spells would be tricky; right now, they're balanced by their differing durations--but if you can cast them both at will, that makes Shield the immediately preferable option. (My recommendation for that would be to reduce Shield's casting time to 0, making it useful in the middle of combat; and reducing its duration to 2 rounds, making it useful specifically as a spur-of-the-moment action to take when you know you're in trouble.)

My recommendation for the Wand of Magic Missile would be to simply make it more powerful--five missiles instead of one, which makes it useful for anybody and less likely to get left behind in a dungeon.

Other than that, it's a promising idea; there's a reason why 4e and 5e both treat cantrips as at-will spells.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    If you implement 5 e casting rules, I'd be down for it. Wizards get 3 cantrip spells at first level. You can have these in the special ability tab (where thieves traps are) for casting.

Only chill touch, friends and shocking grasp are cantrips though, all the rest are still first level spells. changing or adding spells to others like ray of frost, acid splash, and fire bolt, (even mending - fix those damn broken weapons) can increase the list.

Anything else maybe too OP especially with the ever memory ring. for example identifying everything you come across limits a bards usefulness and saves you a ton of money and time.
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    My only reservation would be that it may also be useful to have the higher level equivalent of those spells later on, chromatic orb and magic missiles in particular. Would it be possible to incorporate the original versions of some of the spells into a higher spell level?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2016
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Sleep should become single-target if it can be spammed at will and last one round. Basically a mage version of Command, but at-will. Replace Power Word: Sleep with the original 1st level Sleep spell (and turn on wake-on-hit).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Do cantrips cloud aura? How many could you cast per round?
    edited August 2016
    I see. Sounds good. I would probably stick to a small selection of the level 1 spells to be converted to cantrips then and move a lot to level 2 and in turn move some level 2 spells up etc.

The reason is that current spell selection per level do not always make much sense with respect to progression. Doing a large scale moving of spells to different levels to balance out progression (especially unrepresented spell schools for some levels) can improve the game very much. I am not going to give examples since there are too many to take note of but I am sure you get the point.
    edited August 2016
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    edited August 2016
    @subtledoctor
    For me, taking the hallmark assailment of Magic Missiles and the indispensable Level One Finger of Death away from arcane casters is a big no no. Not to mention that an alternate mechanic for handling level 1 spells creates unnecessary confusion.

Tell you what, if you're hell bent on implementing cantrips, Neverwinter Nights has a couple of nice ones. I experimented with them a while back and they translate pretty well into the IE. Most were quite useful while not feeling too overpowered and you can easily invent further ones looking at these for reference.
    From my experience, I would suggest introducing a separate item with unlimited uses to facilitate casting cantrips, rather than making a mess of the hardcoded character spellbook. At least that's the implementation I found to be the most convenient solution, especially when teaching my AI scripts to actually make use of the cantrips in combat. Though, admittedly, that was long ago on BGT, so things might look somewhat different in the brave new EE world.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    I know the game is different than table top but I remember when my AD&D DM allowed at will first level spells and it completely broke the game. I think even making them weaker would do the same in BG. There may be no combination quite as powerful as : Mount, Grease and Burning Hands in a bar fight.
    edited August 2016
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I have strong feelings for all 1st level spells (except infravision, I hate that) and wouldn't wanna see them changed. What I suggest is to replace infravision only (because I hate it) and turn it into a cantrip spell which should work like a minor limited wish , where you could choose very simple things such as "cause 2 points of elemental damage" , "increase lore by 10 for 2 rounds", "create 10 arrows" etc...
    edited August 2016

lroumen said:

Doing a large scale moving of spells to different levels to balance out progression (especially unrepresented spell schools for some levels) can improve the game very much.

I agree in principle. But unfortunately, due to the various ways AI scripts are written and the difficulty in patching memorized spells in .cre files, changing spell levels can absolutely destroy the AI if you are not very very careful. So I try to use a light touch when it comes to that.
    won't creatures just keep memorised spells and only have a new skewed (illegal in the new format) distribution memorised? Spell names and such will still be the same. You just have to be careful patching proper immunities i think.
    Maybe in thinking too early on this.

• KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    I think 2 missiles is way too strong considering MM does pure magic damage, which is rarely resisted. Compare with Burning Hands: requires the mage to be in melee range, PAUSES the caster for a second or two and deals fire damage while fire is the most common resistance.

Reflected Image is another problematic one. Pretty useless as is, but if cast at-will it's a flat 50% chance to evade a physical attack or a targeted spell. On top of everything else the caster might already have. For free.
    edited August 2016
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Your ideas are intriguing, but not my kind of things. I probably would not use a mod like that.
    But are no garbage, I see how they can be interesting for other players, so I choose to not vote as b ooth the choices are too extreme for me.

The reason why I say that is not my kind of things is that I think that at low levels infinite casting of spells, even rebalanced lev1 ones, is too powerful and lead to cheap kiting tactics almost naturally (considering how much some players enjoy to exploit the AI weakness). At higher levels they become not useful, as I think that resting is wise when the mages have used the bulk of the memorized spells. And the (fully charged) wands cover perfectly the use that centrips would have in my playing style, giving more durability to the mages spellbooks between a major fight and an other.
    At very high level those centrips can become game breakers. Imagine a high level mage, or his PI, with IA and RoV, he can spam almost an infinite number of MM, Chromatic Orb, Burning Hands, Spook, Sleep and Blindness. Which enemy (not immune to lev1 spells) can resist to that? You basically kill dragons in a couple of rounds using a single lev9 spell and centrips...
    Is it possible to make ia not usable with certain spells? Like identify I guess.
    I am not a modder but I guess that is very easy to make centrips similar to the spells casted using scrolls, 1 use for round consuming the magic action no matter if IA is active. Same for having RoV and AoP not affecting them.
    But then how the availability of centrips can change something in the life of a mage with lev9 spells?
    And I already exposed the reasons why they can become too powerful in the early game, when enemies have low HP and bad saves, and superfluous between those 2 extremes as wands cover the purpose pretty well.
    Scale damage by level and use save bonuses that go down as caster levels up.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Cantrips are supposed to be weaker than spells, if they can scale it defeats the entire purpose.
    edited August 2016
    lroumen said:

Scale damage by level and use save bonuses that go down as caster levels up.

The OP intention is to make the centrips less powerful than the normal lev1 spells to compensate their unlimited castings, he removed the scale damage by level when natively existing for that purpose.
    Some of the candidates to become centrips, like spook, have already good save bonuses and still often fail even using GM an Doom when used against high level enemies. Is an unlimited number of castings that can make them OP, every enemy who will not automatically save (there is not something like a critical miss in ST) will fail a save given an unlimited number of castings.

I see how the proposed mod can be useful in some minimum rest runs or using other styles of playing (ie not selling and buying/stealing wands to have them fully charged) that I don't use, that is why I chose to not vote them as "garbage". The idea is good, even if it is not so good for me.
    But the problems I address remain, too much power and possibility to exploit a weak AI in early game, little use in mid game and a potential of OP in the end game where every mage can do things that in the normal game are reserved to sorcerers, much better then the sorcerer himself. Things like 40 or 50 MM, spook or blind in a row.
    edited August 2016