Skip to content

Stupifier nerfed (!?)

2»

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Its easy enough to blitz the demon knight down that the stupifier isn't really needed for it. The weapon was way too overpowered.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    lol offtopic

But I always found it amusing that the demon knight actually has his power word stun vocalized^^
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    Danacm said:

The change was a part of the 2.0 update. 25% chance to stun opponent with no save is probably too much for BG1.

Ye ye, balance issues in an offline single player game. It was good when bg1 released, but nerfed in bgee...
    And other balance issues like berserker kit rage, goblet of durgag etc are fine.

I think stupifier was fine as it was. Its bg1 content.
    The Stupefier isn't in BG1. It was introduced in BG1:EE by Beamdog.

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/The_Stupefier
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Dorcus said:

Danacm said:

The change was a part of the 2.0 update. 25% chance to stun opponent with no save is probably too much for BG1.

Ye ye, balance issues in an offline single player game. It was good when bg1 released, but nerfed in bgee...
    And other balance issues like berserker kit rage, goblet of durgag etc are fine.

I think stupifier was fine as it was. Its bg1 content.
    The Stupefier isn't in BG1. It was introduced in BG1:EE by Beamdog.

http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/The_Stupefier
    @Dorcus yes i realized it if you read the previous comments :D
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    AerakarJuliusBorisov
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    In my mod, I changed the Stupefier so that instead of stunning enemies it decreases their Intelligence by 3 for five days with each hit. There is no save but Magic Resistance can negate it. Now it really does stupefy people!
    KilivitzAerakar
  • yksimaltyksimalt Member Posts: 115
    edited October 2016
    I think the effect that causes the lowering of intelligence would be defined as to stupidify your enemies, as opposed to stupify.

/A.
    gorgonzola
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881

In my mod, I changed the Stupefier so that instead of stunning enemies it decreases their Intelligence by 3 for five days with each hit. There is no save but Magic Resistance can negate it. Now it really does stupefy people!

Wouldn't that kill them pretty fast?
  • gunmangunman Member Posts: 215
    You would be surprised, but a simple wolf on the road to Friendly Arm Inn has an intelligence stat of 16 :D
    JuliusBorisov
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    gunman said:

You would be surprised, but a simple wolf on the road to Friendly Arm Inn has an intelligence stat of 16 :D

Are you trying to tell me that my orc bard is only as intelligent as a wolf? There should be more wolf spellcasters, that 16 int implies they can read...
    JuliusBorisov
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    gunman said:

On a Fighter it would still be an easy kill for a target with higher HP than a wolf. I remember putting Haer'Dalis swords on a Fighter/Thief with UAI in the original BG2 and even dragons would die in a few hits.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I agree that it needed a nerf, but I think they went a bit too far. I think I may tweak it a bit so that it is at least a little better. Probably just do something like remove the saving throw or increase the percentage. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.
    Aerakar
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    It's probably best if you were to just increase the percentage rather than remove the saving throw. For the first game, saving throws are still hit-and-miss, so saving throws alone don't nerf something horribly. If this was the second game, I would say the other way around, as saving throws can be hard to break through without penalties.
    ThacoBellAerakarTresset
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Another idea might be to introduce a connection between a stun chance and target's INT ("stupifier"):

INT 1-5, 50% chance
    INT 6-10 40% chance
    INT 11-15 30% chance
    INT 16-17 20% chance
    INT 18 and above 10% chance
    Aerakar
  • Monkeyboy888888Monkeyboy888888 Member Posts: 10
    Is there a simple way to get the old stupifier back in the game?
    Ravenslight
    @Monkeyboy888888 there may be... I do believe I have a backup of 1.3 sitting on my computer somewhere...
    Ravenslight
    Extract this file into your override folder and the Stupifyer should work just like it used to. Note that the description will be wrong though.
    RavenslightJuliusBorisov

Another idea might be to introduce a connection between a stun chance and target's INT ("stupifier"):

INT 1-5, 50% chance
    INT 6-10 40% chance
    INT 11-15 30% chance
    INT 16-17 20% chance
    INT 18 and above 10% chance

Unfortunately the maze opcode is the only one I am aware of that can do this sort of thing; and even it can only handle duration this way. Only hardcoding changes could allow something to behave this way.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Monkeyboy888888Monkeyboy888888 Member Posts: 10
    Tresset said:

Extract this file into your override folder and the Stupifyer should work just like it used to. Note that the description will be wrong though.

That's great, thank you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    TressetJuliusBorisov
    @subtledoctor Neat stuff! I really need to catch up on some of the changes made by 2.0...