Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been announced! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to pre-order, apply for the Head Start and check for details. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Luck: What it is and how it works

124»

Comments

• subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 8,255
    Grond0 said:

For save or else spells, however, luck has no effect. The Enhanced Song has the MR benefit against nearly all spells and in addition total immunity to fear, stun and confusion - which are common disablers that in my experience are more likely to get a party into trouble than direct damage spells.

Hmm, I though basic bard song had save bonuses as well. But a look at the files shows not. So that's a bit in favor of it not being absurd. Though there is still the question of opportunity cost, given that the Enhanced Song requires you to spend an HLA.

Ah, I'll probably never play with umodded bard songs anyway, so whatever.

Grond0
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,394
    edited January 12
    What happens if a caster has a luck bonus and a target a luck malus? Is damage increased twice?

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 1,999
    rede9 said:

What happens if a caster has a luck bonus and a target a luck malus? Is damage increased twice?

Luck malus doesn't influence physical damage received, luck bonus doesn't increase magic damage dealt.

semiticgod
  • subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 8,255
    rede9 said:

Positive Luck (for you): bonus to weapon damage, reduced damage taken from spells

Negative Luck (for them): reduced weapon damage, increased damage taken from spells.

So both together add up to a uniform effect. (That's what Chant does.)

semiticgodrede9

rede9 said:

Positive Luck (for you): bonus to weapon damage, reduced damage taken from spells

Negative Luck (for them): reduced weapon damage, increased damage taken from spells.

So both together add up to a uniform effect. (That's what Chant does.)
    I see.

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 1,467
    edited January 13
    rede9 said:

rede9 said:

rede9 said:

Can a bard copy himself (simulacrum...) to stack song luck bonus? How many copies are summonable?

I believe Bard Song doesn't stack.
    I'm quite sure Bard Song stacks in vanilla game. Maybe it stacks no more in EE because it is OP.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/190513/#Comment_190513
    This user explains he summoned 5 bard clones in BG2 vanilla and 6 Enhanced Song stacked: +20 AC, +20 THAC0, +20 damages, +25 magic res, etc.
    Does it work in BG2ee?

As is told is no more possible.
    about it being OP... is it more OP than an infinite loop of PI recharging the spells needed via spell trap and bombing enemy under TS, with RoV, AoP, and IA, dropping on the enemy infinite copies of the spell book by mage or sorc? The exploit of having 2 PI doing it at the same time has been nerfed, but using only one, or a PI and a simulacrum is still very possible.
    I can write of many other OP things that other classes, multi and duals can perform.

All those, the bard one included, are completely optional, player's choice.

About the bard one i can tell you that in original game i did much more, all the party was on a permanent +80 AC, +80 THAC0, +80 damages, +100 magic res using simulacrum, PI by the sim from quick slot scrolls and misleads from sim and PI, while a sorcerer was recharging constantly the helm spamming wishes with his PI. :)
    mine was a test, no fun in playing all the game like that, but potentially was possible to run the whole game from some point of chap2 like that.

I really dislike the EE implementation of bards for some reasons, and to not be able to experiment exploits like that is the least of those. I don't see a single reason why having 2 bards in the party their songs should not stack. I see the reason why the improved song now does no more cover the whole area, hiding the bard and his clones behind a closed door and benefit was a lame thing and now is no more possible. but the area affected by the improved song now is way to small, is almost impossible to have all the party benefit of it in most of the situations, you have to choose if to have your mlee or your casters/ranged affected by the song. the way that the song is triggered in EE make also a nightmare to have him sing and attack, while a caster can still easily use cast and attack strategy.

in the old times of original bard was often accused to be good at many things, but really good at nothing, and inferior to other alternatives like FT, FM, FMT. it was not so, even without using exploits like the one i told, that could make him the most powerful class. now it is, the only real advantage of bard is the fast progression, so better Dispel Magic and level dependent spells, and this advantage vanishes about half way BG2, if not before.

as i play both original and EE now i don't play bards in EE any more and have almost always 1 of them in the party in original. cause i really love bards, for RP reasons and game mechanics. I will probably try the @subtledoctor bard mod in the future, but no more vanilla bards in EE for me, i suffer too much seeing how they have been nerfed.

sorry for the wall of text, is only that... i love(d) bards so much.

Grond0Proont
    edited January 14
    Does luck help to have good effect with PST Axe of the Jester?
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/911950/#Comment_911950

Post edited by rede9 on
124»