Skip to content

Am I crazy for disliking quickloot?

When I first experienced quickloot I was. like everyone else, impressed and immediately chalked it up as a great feature. Now I find myself missing the old days of manually checking each corpse seeing what each enemy was carrying. It feels lazy and unrealistic to stand in a room and just "soak up" everything in the room without moving a muscle. I know I could, as I imagine people will say, "just not use it" but I can't help but use it now that its there lol.

I hadn't given it much thought before now but I'm watching an old Let's Play on youtube whilst also playing through myself n it kinda reminded me there was something almost theraputic to wading through the corpses of your fallen enemies post-battle to see what they had on them. I realize this will undoubtedly be an unpopular opinion but I thought I'd share it anyway :p

Comments

• RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    edited October 2016
    You are not alone. :)

I never use the quick-loot option. To me it is so much more immersive to check the bodies individually.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    There's a diamond on the left of the central UI bar, click it and a bunch of boxes pop up above the chat box, that's the quick loot. It's particularly useful when you've just slaughtered a couple dozen things in one tiny little area, letting you snag all the gold, gems, and other loot with ease.

If it's just a few things, I'll totally click on them one-at-a-time and loot them the good ol' fashioned way, but certain areas, like the Gnoll Fortress, that quick loot is on all the time.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I am so glad that I no longer to pixel hunt for that single stack of arrows or gold under a bunch of trees. There is nothing immersive about not being able to find something my character should be able to see easily.
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    I have a love and hate relationship with the quickloot feature.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    My only gripe is that QuickLoot can't be made into a QuickKeyBind.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    You can use it as a guide to make sure you don't miss anything.

Keep it off until you think you got everything, then turn it on. Hover over that missing item and it will highlight where it is.

Takes practice.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,181

My only gripe is that QuickLoot can't be made into a QuickKeyBind.

Not in-game, but it can be assigned by manually editing UI.menu file.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I have to admit that, even more than quick loot, I dislike the Tab function.

Cue Grumpy Old Man mode.
    'I remember, back in the old days, when........(insert whinge here).'
    Seriously though, vanilla BG was much more like PnP in that you had to graft to find stuff, the DM hid things for a reason - to make you think and explore.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Actually, I was just thinking the opposite. In PnP, we never enumerated each and every body and object we were searching. We just said we were searching the bodies, or we were searching the room. Depending on the edition, we might roll perception checks. We might say we're paying special attention to the body of the leader, or we're looking for secret panels in the wardrobe. Then the DM would tell us if we found anything and let us know how much time it took. In a computer game, you can't just compress time or hand wave the tedious parts, so things like quick loot and container highlighting have to be used if you want to approximate the PnP experience.
  • PeldinPeldin Member Posts: 46
    Hovering your mouse over every object on screen to look for loot isn't exactly my idea of exploring, or even thinking.

However, I will say that in doing so, it at least makes you pay more attention to the design of the area/room you are in. I haven't played BG or BG2 since the year they were each released until a few weeks ago. I bought the EE's and played through BG1EE. Now I'm playing through SoD and I realized that I completely missed a room because I've been lazy and relying on Tab to show me all the doors. The reason I found out that I missed it is because it's necessary to the continuation of the main story line. It makes me wonder if I missed out on side quests in SoD, or even back in BG1 because of this laziness.

Needless to say, I'm trying to use the Tab key MUCH more sparingly.
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    edited October 2016
    You're not alone. I use it, but it can be frustrating. Most of the time I just use it to get a quick idea of what's around.

In corpse laden ares like the bandit camp, it's not very convenient. The SCS bandit camp can be a bit corpse heavy, especially if you do it by purposely raising the alarm, then laying down a carpet of grease and web under a cloudkill. I always use one of the cloudkill scrolls there. It insta-kills about half the bandit army and dissolves the rest in a matter of rounds.

Which results in a nice crescent shaped berm of bandit corpses.

Quickloot doesn't let me pick up anything except gold from afar. If I quick on an item in quickloot my character must walk over to it. Even worse, anything gathered through the quickloot doesn't stack, whereas clicking on the corpse and gathering things that way auto stacks arrows, gems etc.

Then there's the thing where quickloot constantly reverts to the last few items each time you pick something up, which necessitates scrolling through all the items each time you search and get every little thing. In a palce like the bandit camp, where there can be 60+ pieces of armour, helmets, arrows etc. it's not a convenient tool to gather things up, as each item is followed by flipping through a few screens of useless loot to find good stuff in between. Might as well search corpses the real way.

I think some of these glitches were fixed in recent patches, but BG1 quickloot is far from convenient in v1.3

Besides, rummaging through fields of corpses just seems fitting for an evil bhaalspawn, or just a bhaalspawn. Might as well spend time with the dead. Lord-of-Murder in training that you are. That's what they never tell you about godhood; sure, you get a butler, but there's still a lot of minor chores, housekeeping and grunt work involved. It's a living I guess.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yeah, quickloot is a lot more convient in 2.0+
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Quickloot in old BGEE 1.3 actually forced the character to directly move on the target corpses before pickup, I believe it only turned into telekinesis around BG2EE 1.3
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    sluckers said:

Quickloot doesn't let me pick up anything except gold from afar. If I quick on an item in quickloot my character must walk over to it. Even worse, anything gathered through the quickloot doesn't stack, whereas clicking on the corpse and gathering things that way auto stacks arrows, gems etc.

Then there's the thing where quickloot constantly reverts to the last few items each time you pick something up, which necessitates scrolling through all the items each time you search and get every little thing. In a palce like the bandit camp, where there can be 60+ pieces of armour, helmets, arrows etc. it's not a convenient tool to gather things up, as each item is followed by flipping through a few screens of useless loot to find good stuff in between. Might as well search corpses the real way.

I think some of these glitches were fixed in recent patches, but BG1 quickloot is far from convenient in v1.3

Yes, what you're describing is fixed in the 2.X versions, the Quickloot now works fine.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Quick loot is one of the reasons I'll never be able to go back to the original. That and instant load times.
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    Kurona said:

Quick loot is one of the reasons I'll never be able to go back to the original. That and instant load times.

There are several reasons that put me off replaying the original, but for me, the lack of quickloot isn't one of them. The original did have some character that didnt survive enhancement but the sheer number of bugs, typos and mechanic limitations makes ee superior.

I still miss the old mage spellbook though. I hate the new spellbook layout :(
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Mush_Mush said:

I still miss the old mage spellbook though. I hate the new spellbook layout :(

I agree, especially the part where memorized spells are sorted by their resource file alphabetical order.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • gmazcagmazca Member Posts: 60
    I just discovered this feature yesterday. I thought it was awesome. It makes cleaning up after those bands of gnolls, xvartz, skeletons, etc much easier. I don't have to tab to make sure I got everything or lose something behind a doorway because I can't reach it. A lot of times I would kill bands of monsters and leave the little gems or pieces of gold because I didn't want to have to pick them all up individually. I wonder how much money I've gained compared to before...
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    I've never used it. I keep forgetting that it's even there. In fact, I'll probably forget about it again immediately after leaving this thread.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Searching individual corpses is fine and tolerable in small skirmishes, but there's no way in hell I'm manually looting each scalp and enchanted item from the bandit camp.
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476

Searching individual corpses is fine and tolerable in small skirmishes, but there's no way in hell I'm manually looting each scalp and enchanted item from the bandit camp.

Quicklooting scalps off a dozen bandit corpses without moving sounds grusesome and somewhat impressive lol
  • VoronaVorona Member Posts: 12
    I'm not using it, but more by accident than anything else (though strangely, I also enjoy the manual looting, as long as I use the tab key, so I probably won't start using it). I am forgetting how to use certain abilities and keep clicking on the spell icon for my mage, then see that I don't want anything from that menu and hit the diamond. At one point in the gnoll fortress, I forgot to get rid of that bar (thought it was a second action bar, like in Dragon Age: Origins), and all of a sudden, I saw all these weapons and armors! It shocked me so much that I immediately closed it. Now, I know what it was!
  • jinxed75jinxed75 Member Posts: 157
    Quickloot is a godsend, and probably the main reason why I made the transition to the EE versions