Skip to content

What word would you use to describe this "class"?

VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
edited October 2016 in Off-Topic
Greetings everyone. I've a question for you all, something that has been puzzling me for a couple of days now--and as many times as I try to define this "class", I've come up unsuccessful.

Within a story/universe I am working on, two characters, both young males, function as sort of an "elite scout/ranger" role for their clan. Deeply loyal to their chief, as they were both trained from a very young age by him and his most trusted lieutenants, these two youths basically employ total stealth and discipline as they move through the bush in both offensive and defensive recon roles. However, they also function as border patrol at times and at other times are tasked with espionage roles and intelligence gathering, such as attempting to befriend someone suspected of wrong-doing in order to obtain all of the finer details necessary to exile or execute the apparent enemy.

On rare occasion they will even be asked to infiltrate rival clans for intelligence gathering operations, intending to blend in and act like they are simply unaligned wanderers looking for a home.

I am hesitant to define these two as "rogues" or even "rangers", nor do I want to restrain myself to using typical D&D classes to come up with a name for the class these two would fall into. So any word/words in the English language would be suitable, I just am really stumped as to what to call these two.

Thanks so much for taking the time, I really look forward to reading your replies :D
JuliusBorisovsemiticgoddessRavenslight

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    That sounds very much like they are rangers... I would say that the classic D&D "ranger" almost fits that description to a T. If you want another word, then maybe... Agent? Not sure...
    VarwulfJuliusBorisovRavenslight
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Tresset said:

That sounds very much like they are rangers... I would say that the classic D&D "ranger" almost fits that description to a T. If you want another word, then maybe... Agent? Not sure...

I cannot argue with that, I think there are just some more "rogue" or as you said, "agent" like elements to the description that make them feel a bit less like rangers to me, I am not sure exactly how to explain it but to me it doesn't feel 100% like a typical ranger.

But I do agree with you, that is the obvious choice :)
    Ravenslight
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Scout?
    JuliusBorisovRavenslightRodrianTeflon
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Warders or wardens also would fit. If your tribe is horse-centric, then outriders might work.
    JuliusBorisovRavenslight
    Many good suggestions, I like it. Sometimes just one word I've never heard of can lead me in the right direction, so I appreciate all of the input.
    Ravenslightlolien

You can call them ravens.

A raven is a smart bird, in Mythology it's often used as a scout. Remember ravens by Woden?

I just imagine how that chief says: "Fly, my ravens, fly!"

Okay, that is pretty darn clever. I am going to have to give that one some thought :) Thanks for the suggestion!
    JuliusBorisovRavenslightlolien
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    Strider
    Wolfguard
    Sentinel

There's "Ghost" if you dont mind borrowing from Starcraft. :)

RavenslightJuliusBorisovlolien
    Mush_Mush said:

Strider
    Wolfguard
    Sentinel

There's "Ghost" if you dont mind borrowing from Starcraft. :)

Ah yes, Ghost--another good option. I also rather like Wolfguard if I am honest :)
    Ravenslight
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Owls are very stealthy, even able to dampen the noise caused by their feathers when hunting. Deadly when they strike.
    VarwulfJuliusBorisov
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    edited October 2016
    Tresset said:

Reconnoiter

Them thesauruses can't be trusted :lol:
    This one is actually a verb. The noun relevant to a person would be reconnoitrer or reconnoiterer.

Lots of words to name a commando force such as this can be found. Shadowers, or the even more generic Shadows, for example.
    VarwulfJuliusBorisov
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited October 2016
    A Rogue/Ranger-like class hybrid reminds me of the Hybrid Classes of Pathfinder.

It seems like this one fits the Slayer hybrid class. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/slayer

Stalker is not bad either. Even in BG, the Stalker seems almost like a Thief/Ranger multiclass (backstab, lighter armor).
    JuliusBorisovVarwulf
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Border patrol?

Then I suggest "Reaver"

An excellent description of the people who owed no allegiance to either the scottish or english throne... But would raid and reave as far as York and Edinburgh.

Part of the problem was that the Reavers had to police themselves... So... During periods of nominal peace between the Scots and English, a special body of customary law, known as March law or Border law, grew up to deal with the situation. Under border law, a person who had been raided had the right to mount a counter-raid within six days, even across the border, to recover his goods.... This basically meant that everyone was involved in bloodthirsty fight every six days... A culture that would generate fighters more fearsome than anywhere else in the world... So much so, that some believe that Reavers are a myth, their achievements mere fanciful legend...

Read more here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_Reivers

I prefer the Old English spelling... Wiki uses the Scottish... The modern english spelling is less cool. It is Ruffian... However you will appreciate where the term "ruffed up" comes from.
    Mush_MushJuliusBorisovVarwulfFinneousPJ
  • Mush_MushMush_Mush Member Posts: 476
    Speaking as an English man with Scottish heritage, Reaver has my vote. :)
    VarwulfAnduin
    Thanks guys! Even more tasty knowledge to pour over and consume :)
    Anduinlolien
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Anduin I like that a lot. I think I prefer the Scottish spelling.
    RavenslightAnduinVarwulf
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    My immediate thought was "sentinels", but I think "Jaegers" (hunters, in english, but it's cooler in german) sounds kinda cool as well and is often used to portrait that kind of activitities in both historical and modern day armies.
    RavenslightAnduinVarwulflolien