Skip to content

Speed Factor on weapons

Can anyone fully debunk how speed factor works exactly or link me to such documentation?

I feel this is an extremely important part of weapons in IE but it's barely ever mentioned or documentated.

As far as I know it's the delay where your character waits before doing a swing long after targeting an opponent, regardless of your APR right? It seems to be most impactful on characters with low APR.

Comments

• SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    That was more or less my guess, thanks.

I recall it once saved my life in trials of the luremaster where one of the specters had a slow axe and my warhammer hit faster, that way I could just quickly hit and get away, then repeat over and over
  • jinxed75jinxed75 Member Posts: 157

Speed factor means when in a round a character will swing, assuming 1 APR. 0 means right away, first thing; 10 means at the very end.

However, due to how APR work, this ends up a bit funky in practice. Since 1 round is only 6 seconds and you can have up to 10 APR, speed factor actually has a fairly negligible impact on overall performance.

I object against the notion of speed factor being more important the less attacks you have. It's quite the opposite by my experience, the more attacks you have per round, the bigger the gain of your speed advantage.
    Very often this means a dead enemy, before he could even strike back.
    Imo, this is the biggest feat of the Kensai class. I'm always puzzled about how often Speed Factor is downplayed in this game.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited October 2016
    jinxed75 said:

I'm always puzzled about how often Speed Factor is downplayed in this game.

It's mostly not about the mechanics of speed factor per se, but about the fact that it's not important enough to actually change your decisions regarding what to equip. You'll end up taking the higher damage weapon pretty much every time, regardless of speed. That makes speed factor interesting to have, but sort of removes it from the discussion because it plays so little a role in decision making.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388

jinxed75 said:

I'm always puzzled about how often Speed Factor is downplayed in this game.

It's mostly not about the mechanics of speed factor per se, but about the fact that it's not important enough to actually change your decisions regarding what to equip. You'll end up taking the higher damage weapon pretty much every time, regardless of speed. That makes speed factor interesting to have, but sort of removes it from the discussion because it plays so little a role in decision making.
    I agree. There are cases where it seems more important, but it isn't very likely to sway your decision as to which weapons to use and which to avoid.

I'm actually curious how speed factor affects things once you've got multiple APR. Let's say you're a Fighter with two attacks, wielding a slow Two-Handed Sword with a Speed Factor of 9. Do both of your attacks during each round land right at the end? Or would one go at the beginning and the other closer to the end?
  • jinxed75jinxed75 Member Posts: 157
    Pteran said:

I'm actually curious how speed factor affects things once you've got multiple APR. Let's say you're a Fighter with two attacks, wielding a slow Two-Handed Sword with a Speed Factor of 9. Do both of your attacks during each round land right at the end? Or would one go at the beginning and the other closer to the end?

All your attacks go off according to your turn order. If you have 10 attacks with a Speed Factor of 9, all these 10 attacks will occur at the end of the round, meaning your opponent will offload his damage before you, assuming he has a quicker weapon.
    And that's why Speed Factor matters, even if most people, like LT suggested, tend to overlook it in favor of raw damage output.

edited October 2016
    jinxed75 said:

All your attacks go off according to your turn order. If you have 10 attacks with a Speed Factor of 9, all these 10 attacks will occur at the end of the round, meaning your opponent will offload his damage before you, assuming he has a quicker weapon.

To my knowledge, this is not true. High enough APR will sort of "compress" the round in order to fit enough attacks into the 6-second window (animations take time after all), which effectively reduces speed factor. You can't fit 10 attacks into 0.6 seconds, so you will strike earlier in the round, even with a high speed factor.
    lunar said:

Note that there are times when you really don't want to use a dagger.

ALL times :P
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

lunar said:

Daggers are awesome. Always use them :)
    ThacoBell said:

lunar said:

Daggers are awesome. Always use them :)
    Well there is that one giant's dagger...Joril's Dagger I believe it's called. Sold by Joluv. Works as a two-handed sword for us normal sized pleebs ;)
    edited October 2016
    Pteran said:

Well there is that one giant's dagger...Joril's Dagger I believe it's called. Sold by Joluv. Works as a two-handed sword for us normal sized pleebs ;)

That's probably the 3rd best dagger in the series.

I'm not even kidding.

The poison dagger in BG1 is pretty strong, but mostly due to that being, you know, BG1.

Then there's Fire Tooth, the eternal king of all things dagger-y.

And then there's the putrid mass of filthy, useless junk that is every other dagger in the series.

Pteran said:

I'm not even kidding.

The poison dagger in BG1 is pretty strong, but mostly due to that being, you know, BG1.

And then there's the putrid mass of filthy, useless junk that is every other dagger in the series.
    Excuse me? Dagger of Stars? The Jade Dagger? Pixie Prick? There are a lot of awesome daggers in the series. Sure they don't do as much damage wise, but those side effects are debilitating.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

Pteran said:

I'm not even kidding.

I always thought Daggers in BG should give an extra x1 when backstabbing like in P&P (IIRC last time I read the Player Handbook it was like that), making them much more useful and hopefully better than staves (this would make Longtooth crazy OP in my humble opinion but, again, IMHO you get it late enough to allow it to be so OP).
    ThacoBell said:

Excuse me? Dagger of Stars? The Jade Dagger? Pixie Prick? There are a lot of awesome daggers in the series. Sure they don't do as much damage wise, but those side effects are debilitating.

Trinkets, trash, TRAVESTIES!

I wish daggers were better. Diversity is good. But they're not. They're terribad.
    I have won encounters due to Jade daggers stun proc alone. Daggers are one of the most fun weapon types, just because of all the fun things you can do with them.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    Daggers are fun for the effects. The 2 returning throwing daggers are very good for thieves with high strength and give you 2 attacks if used as melee weapons.

But generally the category is lackluster. I agree with @CrevsDaak on Longtooth. An extra backstab bonus would help make that weapon great versus 'meh' mechanically (Longtooth is cool already flavor-wise though for sure!).

If you play with mods the Rogue Rebalancing mod adds a few new daggers with fun effects (as well as a few new clubs for the club-starved).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    It's very possible that even with x1.5 BS bonus they might still be a worse choice than existing staples (maybe not for Assassin, depending on how that bonus adds in). Certainly not even close to gamebreaking, indeed.

I like differentiating weapons based on APR. The SR mod already does away with much of the crazy APR stacking by removing the x2 from IH, and it does feel a lot better that way. Makes Grand Mastery and +APR offhands less OP, and gives room for more variance. This could possibly be expanded upon more, with things like procs vs. raw damage in mind. Powerful procs on weaker weapons like daggers with higher APR would make for interesting choices compared to more damaging but "slower" (i.e. less APR) weapons without debilitating procs. Right now damage just wins almost all the time. Even Celestial Fury has a hard time keeping up, and it has one of the most ridiculous procs in the game (if not the most ridiculous).
    @Lord_Tansheron how do you feel about daggers in light of the IR changes? I don't recall if they receive any direct THAC0 or damage bonuses, but I know that they no longer have dual-wielding penalties. I believe with full pips in TWF you actually have no off-hand penalty if using "small weapons" such as short swords and daggers.

Also I believe it's RR that adds a second Dagger of Venom +2 to the fence in the Shadow Thieves' building. I always thought it would be fun to dual-wield those on an Assassin. Seems like a lot of potential for poison damage.

I agree that in a lot of cases there are better choices than daggers, but they can still do a lot of fun things. From a flavor standpoint, I see nothing wrong with using them.
    Pteran said:

@Lord_Tansheron how do you feel about daggers in light of the IR changes? I don't recall if they receive any direct THAC0 or damage bonuses, but I know that they no longer have dual-wielding penalties.

They're still terrible. I basically don't dual-wield unless I'm using +APR offhands, in which case who cares about offhand THAC0 at all.

Of course they're fine for flavor, but that's not really an argument. Not in that it doesn't matter (in fact, it matters the most to many people) but simply in that there is no discussion because you liking something trumps pretty much every rationale. However, from an objective, damage-performance standpoint, they are simply not good enough.
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    With IR daggers are a decent weapon, especially with SR installed as well. You won't be using them for damage alone, but on-hit effects they apply are much better then short swords', for example. Also, given how SCS mages move around, slow weapons have very little chance of hitting them - but daggers can. I wouldn't use daggers with a fighter however.
    One more thing about daggers' usefulness is that you get both melee and ranged options with a single weapon proficiency (very good for thieves in BG1, since they get so few of them).
    Aasim said:

Also, given how SCS mages move around, slow weapons have very little chance of hitting them - but daggers can.

I have no idea what you mean by this, I have never ever had any problems like that. Ever. "Very little chance", I mean come on, really?
    Aasim said:

One more thing about daggers' usefulness is that you get both melee and ranged options with a single weapon proficiency (very good for thieves in BG1, since they get so few of them).

BG1 is a bit of a different story. Arguably the best melee weapon in BG1 (certainly one of the best) is, in fact, a dagger. That's not specifically because it's a dagger, though, just because it happens to deal so much damage. If there was a 20 dmg dagger in BG2, you'd probably use that, too - it's just that there isn't.

Ranged is somewhat of an argument, mostly because of Fire Tooth. Now that STR bonuses properly apply to ranged, it's an actual contender in certain setups. Then again, if you want ranged you may just want to roll an Archer in the first place...
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591

Aasim said:

Also, given how SCS mages move around, slow weapons have very little chance of hitting them - but daggers can.

I have no idea what you mean by this, I have never ever had any problems like that. Ever. "Very little chance", I mean come on, really?
    Really.

Damage is not the sole merit of a weapon. There are a couple daggers that I would straight up call broken, they are so good.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Daggers are just not a power-gamers' choice. They are like short sword against long swords ... the more popular choice are long swords. In the same manner daggers are often overlooked. But when I RP a thief (a fighter-thief), I often go with a dagger.
    edited October 2016
    Grond0 said:

I agree that hitting anything that's moving around a lot is extremely difficult with a slow weapon speed - I'm sure everyone has had the experience of trying (and failing) to hit in melee a scared enemy running away even if they don't use SCS.

Absolutely agree on that part.

Calling BS on the part where SCS casters supposedly run around like chickens on crank. Because they just don't.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Since I only recently got SoD and started playing the 2.0+ version of BG, I realized I could use magical throwing axes I can buy in Beregost (the name eludes me now) in the main hand and still use an axe in the off-hand. This was not permitted in earlier versions since any ranged weapon made equipping off-hand weapons impossible.

So.. this got me thinking about testing using the firetooth and another dagger on a dual wielding blade. Anyone tried it? Does the added APR from throwing daggers still apply to the dual wield so that a non-fighter, say a swashie or blade, wielding firetooth and ie belm get 4 APR? A +3 weapon with 3 APR and 2-8 damage is pretty good for non-fighters (the third APR from the off-hand speed weapon, if that works).