Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• Mr_SaltyMr_Salty Member Posts: 188
    @histamiini @semiticgod would it have been possible to get the wisdom and str tome in catacombs with the a pure lvl 8 cleric ?? i had 18 str on creation beeing solo ? any str items or boosts that cleric could have used in BG1 ? according the wiki """(Note: I was unable to open the lock with a strength of 21, but 24 opened it)""" so i would have needed 24 str to open those chests.... was there any way of doing that ??
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Mr_Salty: The Red Potion from the Carnival (or maybe the Purple Potion?) will set your STR to 25 for 24 hours, at the cost of also setting your DEX and CON to 3, though Potions of Agility and Fortitude can fix the latter. The disadvantage is that you won't be able to save that potion for Belhifet.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    The purple potion is indeed the only way a solo cleric can get the strength tome unless you have mods that change that (such as disabling the XP cap).
    Ok bummer should have gotten it then :D hahaha, so if i am staying pure cleric for SOD what u guy recommend me stocking up on for the last boss fight
    @Mr_Salty: Lots of Champion's Strength scrolls, lots of Greater Restoration scrolls and Durlag's Goblet charges, and lots of Potions of Power to stack. You'll also want either a bunch of Potions of Mind Focusing and Potions of Stone Form to boost your saving throws without suffering huge DEX penalties or else some Potions of Clarity and Chaotic Commands scrolls to block the enemy's fear, Hold Person, and charm spells and a Protection from Poison scroll to block Belhifet's poison damage, plus a couple Potions of Fire Resistance to block Belhifet's fire spells. Protection from Cold scrolls or the equivalent potions will also block a bit of damage from the Erinyes, and you may want Potions of Magic Shielding to block the magic damage from the Cornugons' Absorb Health spells. I've heard that magic resistance can block Absorb Health, but that is not true in any of my installs, though a Protection from Magic scroll should block it since Absorb Health strikes as a level 1 spell. Potions of Invisibility will keep you safe from enemies besides Belhifet and the Erinyes, and will also grant +4 to hit against Belhifet when you break invisibility to attack him. And, of course, Oils of Speed.
    If you're planning to use greater restoration scrolls you could also do with the Battle Tankard to prevent fatigue nerfing your attacks. You might also want lightning protection against the cornugons and regeneration potions to slow down the loss of HPs. I would definitely want potions of mind focusing whether or not you use other spell effects - the dexterity bonus is good defensively (and offensively if you plan to use missile weapons).
    Yes, I keep forgetting that my install removes fatigue effects from Restoration spells and scrolls. The Battle Tankard would be flat-out mandatory if you wanted to spam Greater Restoration scrolls; the fatigue penalties would quickly make it impossible to hit anything, even with all the Champion's Strength scrolls you could find.
    edited April 2019
    what about gear wise for that last boss ?? for the cleric
    I'd go with Sunderhammer, dual-wielding with the Hammer of Darkness, since a Chaotic Commands scroll will make you immune to any sleep effects from Sunderhammer's random Earthquake spells (if not the physical damage from Earthquake) and Champion's Strength scrolls should make dual-wielding accurate enough to work.

Still looks pretty slow, even with a 95% hit rate. With DUHM to bump up STR to 21, I calculate 33.75 damage per round, or 35 rounds to kill Belhifet. That's beyond the 27-round duration of a Champion's Strength scroll and perilously close to the 40-round duration of Potions of Power. You might have to spend several rounds hiding behind invisibility to re-cast Champion's Strength and drink new Potions of Power before you can safely tank Belhifet again.

With the 25 STR potion, you're looking at 41.25 damage per round, or 28 rounds to kill Belhifet. Significantly better, but still not fast enough to do it before Potions of Power run out, given the realities of aura timing. Righteous Magic, Aid, and Lon's Amulet will tack on a little bit more, but I'm guessing you'll need to resort to two separate buffing sessions, one of which will happen during the fight itself.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    edited April 2019
    @Mr_Salty Do you have a plan for the Crusader Attacks? I would say it's bigger problem than Belhifet for Cleric. I don't remember if anybody beat them with Cleric previous to 2.5 LoB, and it's definitely harder now when enemies have additional AC and final wave doesn't have immortal allies.
    edited April 2019
    histamiini wrote: »
    @Mr_Salty Do you have a plan for the Crusader Attacks? I would say it's bigger problem than Belhifet for Cleric. I don't remember if anybody beat them with Cleric previous to 2.5 LoB, and it's definitely harder now when enemies have additional AC and final wave doesn't have immortal allies.

@histamiini
    nope no plan at all just keep on clearing map for map until i get to a wall, i am not smart like u guys ^^ haha i dont know anything for what immunities items / potions i need in specific situations haha my multiclass cleric mage made it to TOB havent played her in a while wanted to make a dual cleric mage as multi makes the mage kinda sucky so i am planning on going 15 cleric / 28 Mage but the level 15 cleric part is kinda hard with the experience cap not sure if i can make it but i am recording my whole playthrough tho hahaha
    semiticgod wrote: »
    I'd go with Sunderhammer, dual-wielding with the Hammer of Darkness, since a Chaotic Commands scroll will make you immune to any sleep effects from Sunderhammer's random Earthquake spells (if not the physical damage from Earthquake) and Champion's Strength scrolls should make dual-wielding accurate enough to work.

Still looks pretty slow, even with a 95% hit rate. With DUHM to bump up STR to 21, I calculate 33.75 damage per round, or 35 rounds to kill Belhifet. That's beyond the 27-round duration of a Champion's Strength scroll and perilously close to the 40-round duration of Potions of Power. You might have to spend several rounds hiding behind invisibility to re-cast Champion's Strength and drink new Potions of Power before you can safely tank Belhifet again.

With the 25 STR potion, you're looking at 41.25 damage per round, or 28 rounds to kill Belhifet. Significantly better, but still not fast enough to do it before Potions of Power run out, given the realities of aura timing. Righteous Magic, Aid, and Lon's Amulet will tack on a little bit more, but I'm guessing you'll need to resort to two separate buffing sessions, one of which will happen during the fight itself.

@semiticgod
    i cannot find Hammer of Darkness on the wiki. 95% hit rate ? what thaco u need for that cause ive spent my whole time doing cleric just basicly doing skeletons and help with sling... since i cannot hit anything realy without the whole buff bless aid chant holy power rigtheous magic lathander boon champ str and after done buffing i can hit stuff for 10 seconds of gameplay Thac0 beeing -2 at this point.. and then it starts wearing off and my thaco goes shit again hahaah and there is not gonna be a str potion since i sold it in BG 1 to sundries lol thats why i was sad i could not get the tomes of wis and str on catacombs any rings/armor u would say is good to have for belhifet ? i am currently using The Practical Defense +3 Locket of Embracing to get cleric level +11 for the better skeletons Kiel's Helmet Legacy of Masters Gauntlets Shield of Egons (was hoping my turn undead would be killing undead from now on... wich is not the case sadly) Boots of speed algernons cloak still comes in handy alot of times :hushed: got a glimmer of hope and a firefly tho the glimmer i just use for the wisdom haha elves bane belt and fire resist ring wich i swap sometimes with freedom ring

i feel like im doing wrong with my gear setup tho any tips for that is welcome ^^
    edited April 2019
    The hammer is the one you can make from the shards found at Boareskyr Bridge - that assumes you will be in melee all the time (if you want ranged ability then you may want to make the sling bullets instead). You can push THAC0 right down by stacking champion's strength scrolls.

Incidentally I'm not sure if you can get the Sundermaul hammer as a solo cleric - my memory is that the chest it's in can't be opened with 25 strength, though I may be wrong.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    Grond0 wrote: »
    The hammer is the one you can make from the shards found at Boareskyr Bridge - that assumes you will be in melee all the time (if you want ranged ability then you may want to make the sling bullets instead). You can push THAC0 right down by stacking champion's strength scrolls.

Incidentally I'm not sure if you can get the Sundermaul hammer as a solo cleric - my memory is that the chest it's in can't be opened with 25 strength, though I may be wrong.

Sadly Grond0 is right. Getting Sundermaul is not an option even with 25 str. You have to knock or pick the lock.

The void hammer alone is on top of that not the ideal choice. It has a -1 str penalty
    aqj1dvzb3g1f.png
    You might consider staff and/or slings as a better option. Staying behind a wall of summons you could perhaps add some hits on Belhifet until “Tanking time”
    edited April 2019
    You might consider staff and/or slings as a better option. Staying behind a wall of summons you could perhaps add some hits on Belhifet until “Tanking time”

my options are flail sling hammer club

i just found out i cannot open this chest with the sunder hammer so what other gear can i go look for lol to make my end boss battle easier i am currently at Coalition camp preparing to poison / blow up that cavern

@histamiini @semiticgod and i can only get my strength to 24 currently! keep that in mind for chest loot haha also where do u guys find all these champion strength scrolls ? the priests dont sell them!
    Post edited by Mr_Salty on
    @Mr_Salty: The Champion's Strength scrolls are only available in SoD. Are you searching for them in BG1? If you can't find them in SoD, either, then there presence must be mod-dependent.
    edited April 2019
    @Mr_Salty: The Champion's Strength scrolls are only available in SoD. Are you searching for them in BG1? If you can't find them in SoD, either, then there presence must be mod-dependent.
    There's two in Baldur's Gate 1 too, one in Durlag's Tower warder's level and the King drops one too. Belegarm sells them in SoD.
    There's two in Baldur's Gate 1 too, one in Durlag's Tower warder's level and the King drops one too. Belegarm sells them in SoD.

ok so its just belegarm then i already bought those
    @histamiini @semiticgod what key factors do i need to win the coalition camp battle ?? as pure cleric zzz i just did the fight and i manage to kill the trolls but the ogres and whatnot gets towards the campfire after this point more stuff enters the camp and thus making it impossible from there on out what u guys think i can do to beat this scenario (finaly understand now your post about the coalition camp @histamiini hahaha pure cleric kinda sucks to deal with this)

any help towards a win is appreciated!!!
    edited April 2019
    @Mr_Salty Troll wave is easier if you can stop the ogre mages casting Haste, maybe well timed OGL or quick Silence from the Amulet of Whispers. There's also Detect Illusion amulet which can be useful against mage wave. What kind of support you have, dwarves or undead? I've read that undead are the best against trolls, but never tested them myself. Maybe you can try full tank mode, max AC, 100 FR and Durlag's Goblet and spam OGL in the middle of the mob, taking archers as support cast. Keep skelis as backline to stop the advance. If enemy gets to the barrels, I think it's over at that point. Other than that, I don't currently see how cleric could beat the whole battle, it can't buff hp with Heroism Potions, damage dealt is pretty bad and summons are pretty weak. Be sure to get all free summons though, Myconids, Stone Allies, Ankhegs and Mephits. Myconids especially are pretty good because they can Confuse enemies.
    Don't remember what kind of Thac0 first wave has but cleric should get very low AC, perhaps to force 20's.

1 Full Plate (-4/-3/-3/0)
    0 Potion of Defense 2h
    -1 Helm of Balduran
    -2 Cloak of Balduran
    -4 Modron Heart (vs. chaotic which trolls at least are)
    -6 Ring +2
    -7 Ring of the Crusade
    -11 Dragon Scale Shield
    -11 Senses of Cat (-4/-3-/-8/0)
    -11 Potion of Absorbtion 2h (-4/-3/-8/-10)
    -13 PfE'10 2h
    -19 Dexterity 25

Then using either slashing or piercing belt, max AC

AC -26 vs slashing or -25 vs piercing, -27 vs. missiles, -29 vs crushing
    edited April 2019
    Don't remember what kind of Thac0 first wave has but cleric should get very low AC, perhaps to force 20's.

1 Full Plate (-4/-3/-3/0)
    0 Potion of Defense 2h
    -1 Helm of Balduran
    -2 Cloak of Balduran
    -4 Modron Heart (vs. chaotic which trolls at least are)
    -6 Ring +2
    -7 Ring of the Crusade
    -11 Dragon Scale Shield
    -11 Senses of Cat (-4/-3-/-8/0)
    -11 Potion of Absorbtion 2h (-4/-3/-8/-10)
    -13 PfE'10 2h
    -19 Dexterity 25

Then using either slashing or piercing belt, max AC

AC -26 vs slashing or -25 vs piercing, -27 vs. missiles, -29 vs crushing

hmm might aswell start over then since i sold most stuff wich i can no longer get back lol golem statue ankheg necklace dragonscale armor instead of shield wich i dont use lol daeros full plate +1 stops me from using Guardian ring ring of crusade sold modron heart sold way back no longer optainable haha maybe i should start over and this time get the 2 tomes that i missed at Bg 1 :wink:

Need to make Myself a list of items to always keep and never sell :blush:

it is realy hard for rookies like me haha
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    @Mr_Salty
    Nice run. The many new items in SoD needs some time getting used to - they are awesome, but getting the right mix is quite the ordeal.

Perhaps your cleric needs some more options with potions (str potions and heroism), and some more apr. You could try the mod Scales of balance which gives some more options: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/33657/mod-scales-of-balance-a-post-hac-tweak-mod
    Good luck
    Yeah we've all been there at some point. It gets more enjoyable once you start to get the hang of things, and can plan things ahead. I was lucky with my first LoB run because it was with Cavalier, and it was able to beat the game with flying colors, learned a lot doing that run. Btw checked the first wave Thac0 and it's not that bad so the previous is overkill, so might want to take some other equipment, two weapon style, -2 Thac0 amulet, Ring of Purity etc.

Crusader Attack 1st Wave Thac0

Troll 7 Piercing
    Barbarian 5 Slashing
    Mercenary 5 Slashing
    Orc Crusader 6 Slashing
    Ogre Mage 5 Slashing
    Ogre Crusader 2 Crushing
    Yarok -1 Crushing

AC to force 20's -15/-13/-21
    @Mr_Salty
    Nice run. The many new items in SoD needs some time getting used to - they are awesome, but getting the right mix is quite the ordeal.

Perhaps your cleric needs some more options with potions (str potions and heroism), and some more apr. You could try the mod Scales of balance which gives some more options: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/33657/mod-scales-of-balance-a-post-hac-tweak-mod
    Good luck

thanx but i dont think ill use any other mod that changes to much stuff otherwise people gonna say it aint a challenge no more hahaha
    Yeah we've all been there at some point. It gets more enjoyable once you start to get the hang of things, and can plan things ahead. I was lucky with my first LoB run because it was with Cavalier, and it was able to beat the game with flying colors, learned a lot doing that run. Btw checked the first wave Thac0 and it's not that bad so the previous is overkill, so might want to take some other equipment, two weapon style, -2 Thac0 amulet, Ring of Purity etc.

Crusader Attack 1st Wave Thac0

Troll 7 Piercing
    Barbarian 5 Slashing
    Mercenary 5 Slashing
    Orc Crusader 6 Slashing
    Ogre Mage 5 Slashing
    Ogre Crusader 2 Crushing
    Yarok -1 Crushing

AC to force 20's -15/-13/-21

how the hell do u figure out their thac0 and stuff ? lol haha amazing

@Mr_Salty: You can look up critter stats using Near Infinity. To determine what their stats are in LoB mode, just add the numbers: +5 to THAC0, +5 to saves (if you have the hotfix installed), +1 to APR, +12 to all levels, triple HP plus 80 on top, and -11 to AC if you're playing with v2.5 (though I understand that that AC bonus can't decrease base AC below -20).
    @Grond0: When exactly do you get DUHM as an innate ability? I'm about to go to the catacombs and I want to make sure I can open everything just by using a Potion of Cloud Giant Strength and DUHM. Currently I've just gotten to Baldur's Gate, and repeatedly sleeping doesn't trigger the next dream yet.
    @semiticgod Starting from chapter 2, you get a dream/ability in every chapter. The first DUHM in chapter 6 when you're back in Candlekeep.
    edited April 2019
    Short update for Serafina in ToB. With Reflection Shield equipped I lured Illasera away from the others, Deva kept her busy as I failed Harming her. But after using three castings of Energy Blades and after short melee she was down.

pij9xrv2smsq.png

In the first "evil" Pocket Plane challenge I repeated the previous tactic. Used commoners as a meat shield against Knight of the Order. Commoners can't touch me with normal weapons, so I could snipe the Knights casually with a sling. Last time I used slings was against Belhifet I think. Linvail, Eltan and Ellesime arrived, and I waited their initial stuff out. Started slinging Linvail, but had to use invisibility again to rebuff after Ellesime dispelled me. Then casually slinged Linvail. Ellesime healed herself under Sanctuary three times, but it didn't matter as my sling eventually got her too. Eltan had a Reflection Shield of his own, so I had to summon Skelis and Aerial Servants to hack him, casually again as the meat shield kept tight. Lastly my summons cleaned the place.

prlu96uqrty1.png
    v9ldfq71goif.png
    k7482vpo3jq5.png
    u3774mhmqegt.png

Landed on Saradush under Sanctuary and summoned Deva, and it got me time to summon more help eventually killing all. Did the small guests, Kiser silenced, charmed with Staff of Command and killed. Charming also the thieves, the place nets no less than 20 invisibility potions, which could be handy in Sendai Enclave. First Prison level easily passed with MoD and Deva. Second level netted again 15 invisibility potions from charmed thieves. Charmed the Battlemage downstairs, before summons killed the rest. Charmed Lasharra with the SoC who got killed, then Elkan who killed Drin and Eler Had after I helped with RoR to keep her alive. Then summoned more help and lured Gromnir to be killed. Didn't bother with the mages. Nothing tough yet.

b9ykwxwtti5y.png
    n000p90psio2.png