Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    edited December 2017
    @Harpagornis Good to know, I imagine I'll need some help with a thief (and many restarts). I'll need to study all these classes, but is F/M/T better (easier) than F/T, C/T or M/T?
    edited December 2017
    Thanks @Harpagornis and @Blackraven

I think I'll go with F/M/T to get flexibility. Why I would like to add fighter in the mix, is because of big Bel (if I ever get there). The hit&run technique, although working just fine, nearly broke my pause thumb, and it was sore like a week after. So I would like to avoid that with the tanking method.
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    edited December 2017
    I made it through BG1 with a F/M/T (with reloads) and ofc in BG1 just having wands means you're never in danger.
    But yeah as @Blackraven mentioned, the APR is quite significant and ofc in SoD you will notice the Thac0 as well vs Big B over a plain M/T.

C/T is good enough in BG2 and op in BG1 but I don't think it scales into SoD very well.
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    Hrhrhrhr... i really love playing hit & run like a chicken while torturing my pause button @histamiini. :D

F/M/T will indeed be the most flexible class combo you can get and is a good starting point for no-reload i think! ;)

Agreed: The C/T is definetly NOT the best class for the no-reload-challenge but - pretty much like @Blackraven - i also got a soft spot for this combo. Its really big fun to play with. And its not one of the mainstream chars. BG1 and BG2 should be doable with some caution for C/T. The main problem is SoD with its Crusader Attacks and Big B even though i fear the first one more. However: I think that i got a decent strategy here. Lets hope luck is on Brakko´s side! :D
    Couple quick questions about F/M/T.

- Do I get Weapon Profencies every level up? Which would mean 8 in BG and 9 in SoD?
    - Are Mage HLA's disabled?
    Good point @Arctodus mentioned and i think he might be right. Big B will be the bottleneck for M/T but with some preparation it should be quite doable. I rarely missed higher APR with Korgath my Bounty Hunter even though he lacked the spellpower of a Mage. I would try both combos and test them - should be good training for a no-reload setup! ;)

Brakko is finished with the city and started his March to Dragonspear. More updates soon! ;)
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320

I just realized how dumb it is to level up, while you're regaining levels and are looping anyway (I always used to do that), since when you keep your prof points for the level you regain your original class you can spend them however you wish and not only in (my case) mage abilities, also let's you get 5 pips in a weapon class in BG1 :open_mouth:

That used to be possible, but regrettably you can't now get 5 pips in a weapon in BGEE.
    Grond0 said:

I just realized how dumb it is to level up, while you're regaining levels and are looping anyway (I always used to do that), since when you keep your prof points for the level you regain your original class you can spend them however you wish and not only in (my case) mage abilities, also let's you get 5 pips in a weapon class in BG1 :open_mouth:

That used to be possible, but regrettably you can't now get 5 pips in a weapon in BGEE.
    Hm, thats strange, it worked for me, I just didn't level my mage after dual class, until I hzad 90k xp...
    Arctodus said:

@Blackraven Well, when I was talking about mage HLAs and level 9 spells, I was thinking about them in general. To add to a Planetar and Dragon's Breath, there's also Time Stop, Shapechange : Mind Flayer (LoB bonuses don't matter with that), Improved Alacrity, Chain Contingency, even BBoD... all seems to be game changer, which a f/m/t will either have in small quantity (through scrolls) or outright miss (higher mage HLAs). With Time Stop traps and spells, you can have a looot of free time to obliterate enemies for instance. With this kind of power, you don't need higher melee output. For enemies immune to Time Stop, you still have other tools at your disposal.

But you're right though : f/m/t will have more flexible equipment options and a much more consistent damage output. GWW is nice, but Smite or even Power Attacks can also be real game changers. So, it's totally possible that I underestimate the power of the flexibility a f/m/t brings to the table. However, m/t can circumvent their "shortcomings" in a spectacular fashion.

I think in regards to High level insta kills the F/M/C is best, because of Critical Strike + Harm, since the Mind Flayer form can't hit above enchhantment 2, while Harm should hit Mel (pretty sure @Harpagornis tested that once)
    Ofc the Flayer is better for clearing big groups of enemies, but with Mislead it doesn't matter too much whether you instakill mobs or use some brawn (or even ignore them with plain invis, if you want a specific item from a single enemy you can just Harm them anyway), keep in mind that Flayer kills don't give xp, so you can't use the flayer for leveling.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    edited December 2017

Grond0 said:

Hm, thats strange, it worked for me, I just didn't level my mage after dual class, until I hzad 90k xp...
    I guess that's the result of your mods then. Are you playing with EET - I imagine that would disable the standard limitations associated with BGEE?
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    Well, when you solo, you shouldn't need too much xp, so Shangechange : Mind Flayer is not much of a problem.

Good call on the Harm/CS combo. Haven't thought about it. F/M/C seems a really solid choice then.
    edited December 2017

Couple quick questions about F/M/T.

- Do I get Weapon Profencies every level up? Which would mean 8 in BG and 9 in SoD?
    - Are Mage HLA's disabled?

Your weapon proficiency progression follows that of a fighter's, so 4 a character creation, a 5th at level 3, 6th at level 6, etc.

Mage HLAs aren't disabled, you just don't get access to most* of them them since you won't be able to cast level 9 spells under the XP cap.
    * I say "most of them" because the extra level 6, 7 and 8 spells should be available.
    Thanks, so F/M/T will only get 10 pips overall. What about saving throws? Do they follow some of the F/M/T, or does it pick the best of 5 from each class?

If you wait pushing the level up button after dual-classing until you reached XP cap you can reach five weapon pips without any problem. Did this several time with my Berserker/Druid. ;)

And yes: Even Mel can be "Harm"onized. In my tests only Kangaxx (first form) was somehow immune...

Kangaxx is immune to magic damage, pretty sure harm does magic damage.
    (also there's not many enemies 100% immune like kangaxx, I found that out when I had the hilarious Monk mod with the uber gauntlets of magic dots installed and it destroyed even Golems)

@Grond0
    I used to have EET but uninstalled it, strange.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486

Thanks, so F/M/T will only get 10 pips overall. What about saving throws? Do they follow some of the F/M/T, or does it pick the best of 5 from each class?

You get the best saves for each class at their respective levels.
    Take a look at this link for a nice overview of the F/M/T (and the F/M/C). It says that F/M/Ts get 12 proficiencies but I'm not sure if that's right. Either way, with 10 you should be ok although there's a lot of proficiencies to choose from for a F/M/T.
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    @Blackraven I also had in mind the SCS component that makes you cast HLAs as innate, which, to be honest is a lot more powerful for m/t. Without it, it's a major drop in power, I agree.
    edited December 2017
    Arctodus said:

@Blackraven I also had in mind the SCS component that makes you cast HLAs as innate, which, to be honest is a lot more powerful for m/t. Without it, it's a major drop in power, I agree.

I once had this component but found it to nerf some abilities since you can only use them once.
    I installed the component since I hoped to retain druid HLAs after dualing, but it didn't work for Deva.
    edit: but ofc it is really good for mages.

Take a look at this link for a nice overview of the F/M/T (and the F/M/C). It says that F/M/Ts get 12 proficiencies but I'm not sure if that's right. Either way, with 10 you should be ok although there's a lot of proficiencies to choose from for a F/M/T.
    Hmm, that profencies is wrong if it follows only fighter, and saving throws too because Thief 22 should have better wand and spell than Fighter 18. And my calculations give a Thief 22 565 points (excluding dex). So I'm not sure what is correct at this point.

Hmm, that profencies is wrong if it follows only fighter, and saving throws too because Thief 22 should have better wand and spell than Fighter 18. And my calculations give a Thief 22 565 points (excluding dex). So I'm not sure what is correct at this point.

Proficiencies do not add up, why would they?
    Both saving throws and proficiencies are rewarded the same way, but for proficiencies it is a lot simpler since there is only one factor, while for saves there is a save for each category.
    Either way the best saviing throw for each applies, so you can have a fighter save vs death, but a thief vs wand.
    The same is true for proficiencies, the real difference here is that on no level up ever will a thief or mage have more points than a fighter, so logically only the fighter proficiencies apply, since the fighter will have the highest total points.
    Brakko cleared Coastway Crossing without much resistance...

- Killed the spider groups with five Skels + Wand of Heaven. Had to quickly switch to Ring of Free Action after the Gargantuam Spiders tried to web him several times.

- Tricked once more Teleria and her Golem using Sanctuary while the summons hacked them down.

- Defeated Tsolak with five Skels, Haste and some slinging. Carefully disarmed all four traps in front of his hideout and banished the vampire from the realms.

- Brought back all Heirlooms and kept the Identify Mirror - this will save a lot of gold.

- Visited all ancient Menhirs to get some more XP and gold.

- Went into the Mines and let the Undead kill the Dwarves. Collected all Amulets (plus another one in the southern tunnel) and moved into Coldhearths lair. With PfU he parked the hard hitting Sentry in one room, solved the riddle and finally met Coldhearth himself. Convinced him to work together without problems thanks to the Amulets. Lets hope his Undead can hold back the Ogre/Trolls long enough...

- Casted Sanctuary and approached the bridge. The detonation and some talking triggered but as Brakko was invisible the Crusaders could not attack him. He quickly retreated and waited for Caelar. After the usual talking he went back to camp to prepare for Bridgefort...

This was clearly the easiest part - as long as you keep an eye on traps. :D

The temple will be more interesting. Should i touch Morentherene? Possibly not! :D