Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• alice_ashpoolalice_ashpool Member Posts: 261
    Rolled up a Dragon Disciple for CATACLYSM.

Sophia, the Elven Lawful Good Dragon Disciple, with the boon of MYSTRA

Currently Level 7
    Zero deaths

Lvl 1 spells: find familiar, blindness, protection from petrification, shield, expeditious retreat (maybe should have taken mm for disruption)
    Lvl 2 spells: Invisibility, mirror image, knock
    Level 3 spells: monster summoning 1, haste

Thoughts on Cataclysm:

Cyric: 2 things, 1st - what about casting shield (1h) for traps and the like? 2nd - Does it count as being in "combat" if you are invisible post-aggro?

Malar: Does this include or exclude familiar?

Tempus: I only had 2 ambushes so far (kobolds and gibberlings), I think its key to only travel 8h or less per jump?

Waukeen: lets see if there are enough wands to get through.

Sophia is currently chilling in Mulahey's room, next to Xan after aggroing Mulahey and realizing that Monster Summoning 1 has a feeble duration at lvl 7 (9 rounds)
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    @alice_ashpool: Familiars are a summon for sure so you can only cast another summon spell if its hidden in your inventory. ;)

For the rest i agree with @Grond0. Good luck with your Dragon Disciple!
    edited January 2021
    Okay, i have leveled several Mage-Dual-Combos for now and thanks to the Familiar this felt too easy. As @Grond0 and me really like suffering i would propose the following new curse

Torm: Familiars cannot attack but are allowed to take other actions as normal

As Torm is the right hand of Tyr - who curses us not attacking any innocents - this looks good to me. Or should we allow combat actions for instance after a specific level? Or should we merge it with Tyr´s curse?

If we put this in active runs do not have to retire but should adapt to it. However: Any feedback is welcome!
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    Interesting @Harpagornis and @alice_ashpool, that you've managed to level up your wizards so swiftly, and that your familiars played such a big part in it. Care to share any tricks beyond having them walk around as decoys?

During one of my first ambushes a gnoll critted my pseudo dragon for 20 damage, i.e. about half HPs, on a roll of 19 (many enemies have pips in single weapon style or two-handed weapon style). I've been pretty careful with mine ever since.

Also I wouldn't expect restricting familiars from attacking to make a huge difference. Has anyone made good use of them as damage dealers? Maybe with spells like PfE, Strength, Haste they can become somewhat useful for dealing damage? Or is this proposed restriction meant to make ambushes harder? But mages can use the wand of magic missiles to deal certain damage faster.
    @Blackraven: Well, my Pseudo-Dragons could easily dispatch all Basilisks (Mutamin with help of Korax) so i jumped to 52800 XP (+5k from Shoal) while i had to do nearly nothing except to watch if the Greater Ones would manage to poison the Dragon. Yeah, its definitly not game breaking and if you got another idea fell free to post it!
  • alice_ashpoolalice_ashpool Member Posts: 261
    edited January 2021
    Sophia killed Mulahey with some creative invisible pseudo-dragon aiming, 10 charges of the wand of frost, dragons breath, blindness and some monster summoning 1 orcs + goblins, looting his corpse, abandoning hope of reaching his chest and fleeing back up the mine with her last invisibility, having already destroyed the Tombs exit in her first abortive attempt.

Wearing talos's gift, and with a potion of insulation (2h), and a minor sequencer with invisibility, the bandit camp was looted for the letters, waiting for everyone to aggro before disappearing and running away, and just like that chapter 3 was done.

(I have the part of SCS which puts sequencers as innate abilities it seems - I really like this but its certainly a power boost for DDs)

Collected 2 wands of fire (Ankheg pit and Durlag merchant), potion of magic blocking and 2 potions of freedom and went through cloakwood.

Had am ambush by 2 spiders while invisible. Drink potion of freedom, wand of missiles again 1, run to edge, take hit, get poisoned, leave area, poison disappears...

Same thing happens again, same strat works, now out of potions of freedom.

Stealth down to Dave. Mess up with the guard - aggro him in order to use shield amulet, don't realize he will pursue while the other guards will cluster, spend too many spells trying to lose him. Dave clusters in areally awkward place in the corridor between his starting room and the cross-4-way junction so the guards are constantly shifting and looping around.

Use final invisibility and try and wait it out.

In the end a whole OGL, 7 fireballs from WoF, 3 WoMS and a Monster Summoning 1 to put him down.

The final Expeditious retreat to run past Drasus, and...

...ambushed by spiders, held, killed.

Deaths: 1

Blackraven wrote: »
    Interesting @Harpagornis and @alice_ashpool, that you've managed to level up your wizards so swiftly, and that your familiars played such a big part in it. Care to share any tricks beyond having them walk around as decoys?

I went ring of wizardry then umberlee bowl for level 2 straight away, figuring if I got the 10 bandits I would re-roll immediatly, no big loss. Cleared up around Beregost then with pseudo-dragon, korax, darts and quarterstaff the whole of Mutamins can be cleared out which I think put me up to 5 and got me those bracers of defense and invisibility. Then Durlag's with invisibility, my stack of 400 odd darts, 10 PfP casts and the pseudo-dragons petrification immunity.

Monster Summoning 1 allowed killing the Ogrillons, and some other stuff I couldn't attempt with my monk like the Gnoll half-ogres, the guys trying to cut down the tree and so on. Thats about where the above starts.
    edited January 2021
    Hhmmmm... lets do not put Torm in for now cause even though Familiars are really helpful they are not broken. I would like to introduce something new. At the moment the challenge is mostly about fighting all kinds of monsters (while also fighting against the curses). But what about fighting something like dehydration? My idea is that Charname ist forced to drink one potion of its choice every 24 hours otherwise he will die. So what about:

Umberlee: To avoid dehydration Charname has to drink one potion of its choice every 24 hours or get a drink at an inn

As Umberlee is the Queen of water and the oceans this fits perfectly but on the other hand this makes playing a bit more complicated and - well - we would finally be forced to watch the in game time a bit more closely which i most of the time tend to ignore. What do you think about that one?

Sorry to read about your loss @Blackraven! I also have lost some chars there and it was always when using the Sandthief Ring - this damn slow thing!
    @Blackraven: Well, my Pseudo-Dragons could easily dispatch all Basilisks (Mutamin with help of Korax) so i jumped to 52800 XP (+5k from Shoal) while i had to do nearly nothing except to watch if the Greater Ones would manage to poison the Dragon. Yeah, its definitly not game breaking and if you got another idea fell free to post it!

I understand. I'm not really bothered by the power of familiars because having one is an early game advantage just like Totemic Druids' and Shamans's summons are, and there are other ways to get the basilisk XP. But Torm's curse sounds fine the way you put it.
    Hhmmmm... lets do not put Torm in for now cause even though Familiars are really helpful they are not broken. I would like to introduce something new. At the moment the challenge is mostly about fighting all kinds of monsters (while also fighting against the curses). But what about fighting something like dehydration? My idea is that Charname ist forced to drink one potion of its choice every 24 hours otherwise he will die. So what about:

Umberlee: To avoid dehydration Charname has to drink one potion of its choice every 24 hours or get a drink at an inn

As Umberlee is the Queen of water and the oceans this fits perfectly but on the other hand this makes playing a bit more complicated and - well - we would finally be forced to watch the in game time a bit more closely which i most of the time tend to ignore. What do you think about that one?

Sorry to read about your loss @Blackraven! I also have lost some chars there and it was always when using the Sandthief Ring - this damn slow thing!

Haha, you're pushing me more and more toward lifting Ilmater's curse... Inventory limitations were my biggest issue with Murdo. Let me think of a character that can live with the other curses well enough to be able to lift Ilmater's curse without dire consequences, or a character that needs fewer items... I do think I'll be too forgetful to monitor the clock all the time to comply with the potion consumption rule.
    edited January 2021
    Yeah, i totally agree that forgetting about the clock is really easy @Blackraven so if you think that its going to make playing too complicated as you constantly have to watch all kinds of things (and curses) we might drop it. Or do you have another idea thats easier to watch with regard to dehydration?
    edited January 2021
    Another idea: You cannot sell named magical items! This would make gold more special and one really has to think about how to get it. Too brutal? Cool?

I can see in some days only @Grond0 and me will play this challenge! B)
    I don't have any immediate ideas. You do remind me of Umberlee's ally Talos though. Do people here play with weather on or off? I think I have the weather effects switched off, but the least we could do is add Talos's curse: the weather has to be on. (That lightning can be very destructive...)
    edited January 2021
    Another idea: You cannot sell named magical items! This would make gold more special and one really has to think about how to get it. Too brutal? Cool?

I can see in some days only @Grond0 and me will play this challenge! B)

Maybe it would make sense to make us actually spend our gold? How realistic is it to walk around with say 20k GPs? Maybe something like:

Liira's curse: the player character cannot carry more than xx GPs; any gold obtained beyond that amount has to be donated at temples.

This could lead to interesting interplay with Ilmater's curse.
    edited January 2021
    Yeah, i like that idea a lot @Blackraven! Imagine a character trying to fight monsters with 50k gold in his pocket - thats hilarious.

Lliira: Charname cannot carry more than 20.000 gold. Any gold obtained beyond that amount has to be donated at temples

Sounds like a plan and i also like the potential snyergy with Ilmater. Other opinions on that one?
    edited January 2021
    Thanks for your detailed feedback @alice_ashpool and glad to see that you are having fun! I agree that the Waukeen curse is really strong - especially for Mage classes while others are annoying but not so hard to come by. I think generally we are walking into the right direction!

As @Grond0 does not like the gold limit we might do it in another way...

Lliira: After each chapter Charname has to donate 10.000 gold at a temple

As Lliira is the goddess of joy she should be pleased by this a lot. What about other numbers? And what about the idea that named magical items cannot be sold @Grond0? And what about the idea that Familiars cannot attack?

Not to forget: Good progress @Grond0 - i think i will roll another Shadow Dancer soon too!
    Thanks for the response @Grond0, we could lower the gold sacrifice to 5k but that wont hurt as much! I agree that selling items should be allowed then. With regard to Familiars i will put it onto the list of curses making early game a little bit harder for some classes while it still remains useful. Here we go...

Torm: Familiars cannot attack but are allowed to take other actions as normal

Will add this one to the list while waiting for more feedback on the Lliira curse!

BtW: Whats this talking about dying to Shoal? I havent lost any stealth character there for ages. After attacking her out of stealth i immediately move back, restealth and once approaching her she still triggers her talking/kiss but could not kill me thanks to stealth. After that its all just normal stabbing or kiting.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,328
    BtW: Whats this talking about dying to Shoal? I havent lost any stealth character there for ages. After attacking her out of stealth i immediately move back, restealth and once approaching her she still triggers her talking/kiss but could not kill me thanks to stealth. After that its all just normal stabbing or kiting.

Sounds like your installation may be a bit different. I think the expected behavior if you fail to save against her kiss is not only to reduce you to 1 HP, but also render you unconscious. At that point she's still hostile, so if you drop out of stealth she can kill you. There's of course no problem in killing Shoal - it was just surviving her kiss I was concerned about.
    edited January 2021
    Its the same her... she kisses me... i most of the time fail the save... and my char goes unconsious... but this does NOT break stealth... after some seconds... with stealth still active... char awakes and can start kiting/stabbing. The trick is to attack her, when she is still neutral and retreat immediately so she cannot trigger the talking... then its restealthing... and let her move nearby for the trigger... or does in your installation stealth breaks after you re-engage her?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,328
    I don't know - maybe you just use slightly different mechanics than I've tried. In Wisp's current run he let her chase him to the edge of the map before disappearing into stealth. That didn't prevent her demanding a kiss and I've had experience before of dropping out of stealth while unconscious, so was concerned about that. However, maybe I've just been unlucky or tried it with a character with insufficiently good stealth.
    edited January 2021
    Even with my Level 1 Shadow Dancers i never drop out of stealth before unconcsiousness ends, i just make sure that she triggers the talking right after the stealth check message appears. Works fine for me.

Lost one Shadow Dancer some minutes ago after Droth managed to land Chromatic Orb... stealth failed... save failed... GG. Next time i will grab the Inv Potion from Beregost!