Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    I got an idea regarding Talos but thats a really brutal one:

Talos: Spells, Scrolls and Potions cannot be used to protect against elemental attacks

If you have another - maybe more elegant way - to make elemental attacks more dangerous: Your chance!

Hmmm this would make us depend more on innate resistances (Cavalier, Druid, Dragon Disciple) and on items, but with Ilmater (no containers) and Mask (no gear switching in combat), such items will be in short supply. Do you not consider elemental damage extremely dangerous already because of enemies' higher levels and because of double damage? Just asking.

Nice job at the Bandit Camp btw. :smiley: Shadowdancer dual is such a great class for this challenge!

Oh, and is everyone else ok with optional curse switching upon completion of each part of the saga?
  • alice_ashpoolalice_ashpool Member Posts: 261
    edited January 2021
    jmerry wrote: »
    A wand of paralyzation could work - it's a low chance of success since it's subject to magic resistance, but it gives you ten rounds to bash the demon knight once it connects. You just have to survive until then.

Very helpful!

2nd Strategy - Aggro Demon Knight (with greenstone amulet protections on, I forgot to mention that bit), use wand of paralyzation until it procs, summon monsters and pray you get at least 1 ogre. You and the ogre(s) go to town. Repeat until dead, or, when it is low enough on health, break the mirror and get the mirror fiend to do the work for you (no xp this way though).

This worked first time though it took 30 charges from the WoP to proc only 2 stuns, which was enough with the mirror fiend to finish off the Demon Knight. An expensive battle, but one which worked on only 1 attempt.

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    edited January 2021
    Shouldn't have posted! A few minutes later I'd just killed the first basilisk and was casting invisibility to bypass a gnoll on the way to the upper roof - the resultant fireball did 2 more damage than Wimp had available ...
    rp5c9mftq4vg.jpg
    Even without posting @Grond0, the grim reaper collects... My Berserker just fell to a Chromatic Orb (slay effect) in an ogre mage ambush.
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited January 2021
    Poor Wimp, maybe next time @Grond0 and nice work @alice_ashpool!

Loreth moved through the Cloakwood without problems thanks to Ring of Freedom.

She killed all the time at least one Ettercap or Spider to soak some XP and be able to retreat.

Lamalha´s party had no chance even though Loreth got hit by two arrows due to bad timing.

For Molkar´s party... the inventory already was crowded... she used Potion of Magic Shielding soaking up spells while also eating a Unholy Blight that hit for 18 damage cause stealth aura was not clear. After that it was easy stabbing.

Lured Drasus away from the Mages and stabbed first Genthore who followed him. As he nearly always tried to move back to get his axes throwing Loreth could easily restealth before any missile was in the air. Drasus intended to be funny this time drinking a Potion of Freedom which negates his speed bonus making the stabbing a nobrainer.

Going down to Davaeorn was no problem. He somehow managed to shoot an Acid Arrow through a wall at Loreth but this was negated by some healing potions in between the shooting. As Loreth got really unlucky rolling low numbers in a long row she wasted 152 bolts on the Mage before the evil one went down. Next time i will grab the Ring of Energy before...

Getting out of the Cloakwood some more ambushes but while Ettercaps got stabbed Loreth played the hit-and-get-hit-game against some Wyvern. Baldurs Gate will be next...

And yes @Blackraven: Shadowdancer duals are really powerful... if you get through the early game leveling and at least to some degree play around with stealth time manipulation. I try to minimize this but even then many enemies cannot counter it.

I also agree that the Talos idea would be overkill, maybe another idea will jump in tomorrow!

EDIT: Sad to hear about your loss @Blackraven...
    edited January 2021
    Been thinking about Sorc/DD spell picks for CATACLYSM. If anyone can see some glaring omissions, or something that would brick the build going on please let me know. Also I am intersted in hearing anyone else's Sorc/DD spell picks.

----

Level 9 gives you 5, 4, 3, 2 and a max of 5 spells can be learned in total

SoD will raise that tho 5, 5, 4, 3, 2

Here's what I took by level 9, in order of taking L to R

1: Blindness, Find Familiar, PfP, Shield, Expedious Retreat
    2: Invisibility, Mirror Image, Knock, Detect Invisibility
    3: Monster Summoning 1, Haste, and as I now realize Skull Trap
    4: Monster Summoning 2, Polymorph Other

I'm quite happy with this for BG1, the monster summoning really comes into its own in LoB since those are trash spells usually, however: they summon 1d6 monsters rather than a set number of hit dice making them unreliable and sometimes frustrating: nothing like only summoning one ogrillon when you wanted 2 ogres and 4 lizardmen. Also they will lose their utility in SoD... so it might be necessary to get through without them on run 2.

Polymorph other feels like the greatest of all time spell for LoB BG1 since there is a stack of 20 Greater Malison scrolls just there for the buying in Sorcerous Sundries. Bassilus: a squirrel, Karlat: a squirrel, everyone a 5HP squirrel. Sorceress would get 4 (4!) casts per rest, poor Sophia only gets 3, but enjoys 1d6HP/level and being almost immune to fire with Ring of FP as consolation.

The only one I would swap at the moment is Expedious Retreat for MM, if would make the game harder until Drasus, but hey.
    Been thinking about Sorc/DD spell picks for CATACLYSM. If anyone can see some glaring omissions, or something that would brick the build going on please let me know. Also I am intersted in hearing anyone else's Sorc/DD spell picks.

----

Level 9 gives you 5, 4, 3, 2 and a max of 5 spells can be learned in total

SoD will raise that tho 5, 5, 4, 3, 2

Here's what I took by level 9, in order of taking L to R

1: Blindness, Find Familiar, PfP, Shield, Expedious Retreat
    2: Invisibility, Mirror Image, Knock, Detect Invisibility
    3: Monster Summoning 1, Haste, and as I now realize Skull Trap
    4: Monster Summoning 2, Polymorph Other

I'm quite happy with this for BG1, the monster summoning really comes into its own in LoB since those are trash spells usually, however: they summon 1d6 monsters rather than a set number of hit dice making them unreliable and sometimes frustrating: nothing like only summoning one ogrillon when you wanted 2 ogres and 4 lizardmen. Also they will lose their utility in SoD... so it might be necessary to get through without them on run 2.

Polymorph other feels like the greatest of all time spell for LoB BG1 since there is a stack of 20 Greater Malison scrolls just there for the buying in Sorcerous Sundries. Bassilus: a squirrel, Karlat: a squirrel, everyone a 5HP squirrel. Sorceress would get 4 (4!) casts per rest, poor Sophia only gets 3, but enjoys 1d6HP/level and being almost immune to fire with Ring of FP as consolation.

The only one I would swap at the moment is Expedious Retreat for MM, if would make the game harder until Drasus, but hey.

At first level I would never bother with PfP. Your familiar can safely scout out basilisks and, even if it is not allowed to attack, there are other ways to deal with the basilisk. I'd have magic missile instead - particularly in BG1 the high number of 1st level spells available means that can do a decent amount of damage.

At second level, mirror image would tend to be a late pick for me, if taken at all - on the grounds I should very rarely be in a position to be attacked and stoneskins are a better defense if I am attacked (unless you have some source for permanent luck). I would normally take web immediately after invisibility. This not only offers the opportunity to do additional damage, but also to cast disablers safely (web/blind is a great combination for things with dangerous distance attacks like basilisks and ankhegs).

At third, I agree summons are really powerful in LoB, so I might take that. However, the short duration is a bit of a problem. I would be more likely to take skull trap as a first spell. I quite often take MSD, though that's more important in a poverty run than this challenge.

At fourth I wouldn't take MS if I already had the 3rd level variant, given the host of good spells at that level. Stoneskin gives you a better chance of surviving slight mistakes (though obviously that's less of an issue if you're not playing no-reload), spirit armor gives you an improved saving throw and II adds to that as well as providing an alternative way to evade enemies. Fire shield blue offers one potential strategy against Belhifet. Malison gives your disablers much more chance of success, so that would be another early pick, but there are several others at L4 that look attractive to me. Polymorph other is relatively easy to save against (and you can do it by wand), so I wouldn't bother with that in this challenge (emotion is nearly as much of a death sentence at that level, is generally harder to save against and affects multiple targets; PO may affect slightly more enemies than that, but blind and feeblemind both affect even more).
    edited January 2021
    I've played a number of characters recently in this challenge and think possibly the best alternative for me is the shaman. The shadowdancer dual is powerful, but does require a high level of concentration and a lot of precision - which probably came more naturally to me 30 or 40 years ago ;)). The spirit summons for the shaman are not normally the best option in the regular game. However, in this challenge where resting can be a problem and direct damage spells are nerfed, the dancing spirits are often a very strong option.
    Post edited by Grond0 on
    @alice_ashpool, I agree with @Grond0's points, especially re: PfP and 2x Monster Summoning.

I'd probably lift Waukeen's Curse and rely on rechargeable wands.
    1: Blindness, FF, Shield, PfE
    I picked PfE because I think DD is in an excellent position to optimize AC to the point where you won't get hit easily at all, leaving your Stoneskins, MIs etc in place for a longer time. Eventually you'll probably pick PfMW, but that lasts only 4 rounds and you won't be able to keep that up all the time. In your set-up with Mystra's curse lifted, Chromatic Orb might also be a worthy pick. I'd mainly want it for its slay effect once you reach caster level 12, though even the 2-turn paralyze effect at lvl 7 is pretty good.
    2: Invisibility, Web, Blur, MI
    I'd pass on Knock. Why? You'll have high strength eventually with Bhaal DUHM to bash locks, quest relevant locks can easily be forced, and with Ilmater's curse you won't be able to carry a lot of stuff around anyway. I added Blur for the same reason I added PfE.
    3: Slow, Skull Trap, Haste
    With loads of wand summons, I might try to do without spell summons, and wait for lvl 5 skeleton warriors. I'd probably take Slow instead because of the save penalty and 1/2 attack rate and -4 to enemy Thac0 and AC is really good.
    4: Stoneskin, Malison.
    Spirit Armor as mentioned by Grond0 is really good but I'd pass for the time being because Sorcerous Sundries sells I think 20 scrolls (at least in my install). Stoneskin for survivability and Malison for your Blindness, Web, Skull Trap, and wands to be more effective.

@Grond0, Shaman, interesting. You must have become good at positioning the Shaman. I found I really missed stealth with my Berserker, which made me think I probably do best with a stealthy character in BG1. Still I think I'll take another shot with the Berserker...
    edited January 2021
    Blackraven wrote: »
    @Grond0, Shaman, interesting. You must have become good at positioning the Shaman. I found I really missed stealth with my Berserker, which made me think I probably do best with a stealthy character in BG1. Still I think I'll take another shot with the Berserker...

@Blackraven yeah, I've played them a lot. I see plenty of comments about how limited shamans are when dancing and that's absolutely understandable if people are not used to playing them. Like the rest of the game though, you appreciate what the risks and constraints are with experience and improve how you can work round those with practice ...
    edited January 2021
    Loreth visiting Baldurs Gate

The town was indeed the easy part. Stabbing some Dopplegangers, killing the Ogre Mage with infamous Arrow even though she had no points in Bows (even then a 6 was enough to hit), stealthing in and out of the Iron Throne unseen, wile also getting some supplies and finally the precious Sharpshooter Crossbow.

The Candlekeep Ogre Mage ambush started easy: Stealth worked so Loreth repositioned to get in one shot at them (they even did not precast any buffs) but manipulating the stealth timer worked against her... stealth broke too early... and the Mages started casting forcing her to drink a Invisibility Potion... resposition and landing a 24 damage stab on her next attack.... restealth... talking to the guard... done.

Candlekeep Catacombs were quick business. Protection against Fire and Lightning, Mastery Thievery plus DoHM for the Tomes and the stealthing through enemy lines unseen only stopping to shoot one Greater Basilisk down who pushed Loreth to Level 8 -> 66 HP. Not that bad.

With 19 Str stabbing will get a lot easier now. Lets see whats up next...

The Gond curse really strikes more and more as the inventory gets easily crowded so Loreth is forced to sell and park some items in shops. She still has not chosen any deity mayb that will change soon.

Another idea for a curse which will hurt any non-Mages a bit more...

Leira: Charname cannot use or equip unidentified items

What do you think?

@histamiini: Is there a way to get the Gem of Seeing without recruiting Rasaad? ^^
    Nice list @histamiini! I'd do a few things differently but you actually beat the challenge with that sorcerer so... :whistle: Haha. Not a single spell protection remover (other than Remove Magic). Did you never miss Ruby Ray or Warding Whip or something against mages?

@Harpagornis, good stuff! You're on course for the endgame, although Ducal Palace is such a bottleneck.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    @Harpagornis I don't think so, you need to take Rasaad to City Gates to get the map update. And Neera you need to get through the camp door for items in there. I've tried a lot to circumvent these, but have since settled for allowing taking companions to only start their guest lines.

@Blackraven I usually use depletion tactic against mages, activate casting, then hide. That's why there's usually no need for dispels, because their protections eventually wear off. I think that's safer tactic in nR challenge. And because of that I actually have very little experience with Ruby Ray's and such.

Btw I would take Knock for Sorcerer, because although you get DUHM, you can't drink warrior potions so bashing is limited in BG without Violet Potion. And eventually you lose DUHM anyway, at which point Knock is valuable. Although as with some other spells, it's balance between how many items (scrolls) there is, and convinience. So it's personal preference still what you want to have.
    @histamiini, your reasoning makes sense. If you have the staying power, why bother with removal spells.
    @Harpagornis, ooh a narrow escape, that should be a good wake up call no?

Leira's curse sounds good to me BTW!
    edited January 2021
    @Harpagornis Well I feel shamed, but I can't help it. :( There's too many items and ideas in there. :p

Does not using unidentified items add any difficulty? Is there really situations that you would lift such curse?
    edited January 2021
    Loreth took on Khark... badly prepared like always... burned the Ring of Energie from 19 to 1 charge... 9 shots from Fireball Necklace... and the rest just stabbing him with Aules Staff +3... stealth failed once using a Potion of Magic Absorbtion... soaked up Cone of Cold and Chromatic Orb after that three more hits and the big bad mage went down.

@histamiini: Well, well... you have to live with that... but i am still really disappointed... :P

Yeah, not allowing unidentified items is not that big.... hhhmmmm....

But what about Talos:

Talos: Charname has to play with weather effects "on" and can only use Talos's Gift to protect against lightning

Not too much to worry about, no?
    edited January 2021
    @Harpagornis I like weather curse, but again I don't think I've ever been bothered with lightning. I actually had to check if I had weather on, and yes I have. Is there something else that controls the danger of weather?
    edited January 2021
    @alice_ashpool Well done beating BG with all these curses! I hope you'll come up with something in SoD and show Bel who's da boss.

I'm thinking only trying to kill Demon Knight, and using my BG and overall boss skips for Aec'Letec and Karoug. Karoug I feel is impossible, although it's very long since I've done that. Looking him up he should have like almost 2000 hp, and everything else going on, no thanks.
    edited January 2021
    Good job @alice_ashpool and nice to read that bashing through BG with all those curses was great fun for you! SoD will hopefully be even more of a blast!

@histamiini: I used one of my old saves testing another Shadowdancer6/Fighter against Karoug. Fully buffed up and with the Silver Staff of Aule (+4 against Shapeshifters) it was suprisingly easy especially combining normal bashing with constant stabbing. Took me around a minute (or two) and the job was done even though i got hit several times. But with some healing potions or Durlags Goblet this should be no problem even for Beastmasters. BtW: Karoug only has 278 HP but - yeah - if you add up his fast regeneration thats a lot more at the end!
    edited January 2021
    @Harpagornis Hmmm, I'm only using NearInfinity to check his stats, which maybe actually different Karoug. But it only reports one Karoug, and it shows 600hp non LoB, compared to 350hp of Belhifet. I need to check this in-game. Maybe SCS has changed it as I'm still at 33.3.

EDIT: you're right, Karoug actually changes to Greater Wolfwere, and those stats. Then it should be easier.
    Yeah @histamiini, the ingame Karoug is something different. But fully buffed and with enough healing power he should most likely fall to Beastmasters pretty easy too, maybe testing it first with another char.

Okay we have two curses that are still up for feedback

Talos: Charname has to play with weather effects "on" and can only use Talos's Gift to protect against lightning

@Blackraven and @Grond0 seem to like Leira, yeah? What about Talos? I think that its okay that some curses are tougher than others... at the end its the combination of them that should... in the best case... make progress tougher while still being fun. Its up to us!
    edited January 2021
    Okay we have two curses that are still up for feedback

I like the first one - that's a nice curse. And the 2nd, except for the requirement of talos gift only: potions of insulation and absorption take up valuable space considering Illmater, and are very useful for Durlag and candlekeep catacombs anyway, and so if someone wants to burn one for prot from lightning that should be ok? Irritation factor: drink potion of insulation for trap X, find yourself in a lightning storm before potion wears off...
    Do you mean that only Talos' Gift can protect against electricity, i.e. a toned down version of your earlier proposal that no elemental protections should be allowed?

If you wanted to discriminate a bit more against casters, I suppose you could say that you can't use elemental protection spells (but still allow items, special abilities and green scrolls).