Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    edited January 2021
    @Blackraven The Carnival Invisibility potion chest has 70 difficulty, which you can open with the Fire Giant potion from the other chest with 50 difficulty.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    histamiini wrote: »
    @Blackraven The Carnival Invisibility potion chest has 70 difficulty, which you can open with the Fire Giant potion from the other chest with 50 difficulty.

Nice, Aernalf is very thankful! :smile:
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Flash forward 10 years and we'll have a solo LoB character who beat the game by only using Tsu-O-Shi in BG1 and the Rod of Terror in BG2.
    edited January 2021
    @Blackraven Damn nice rescue! I feared exactly that kind of deal, and picked Durlag's Goblet before Mulahey. In the end it was pretty easy with Silver Staff 3apr from Oil of Speed, Defense and Storm. I think Mulahey took one Goblet and minions three when I had to blast my way through.

Davaeorn has -10AC so he's pretty hard to hit. His melee is awful though so it's safe I think.
  • AvidGamerFanAvidGamerFan Member Posts: 157
    edited January 2021
    Works with every class, well except with Wizard Slayers. :D

Funny, you should mention this. I'm still experimenting with an Wizard Slayer run as an archer aiming to dual-class to a cleric in BG2. I have a plan for every major hurdle in BG and SoD, but I've been thrown because Davaeorn keeps playing unfairly.

The outline of my plan is:
    1. Use a scroll of Mental Domination to charm the initial guard. There are 2 in the game, including 1 from Ulgoth's Beard, so this is easily obtainable.
    2. Walk with the guard to briefly enter Davaeorn's sight, pause, order guard to attack, back protagonist out of sight, select guard again and unpause.
    3. This will turn Davaeorn hostile, which is necessary for a future step. As far as I know, this 'charm the guard' trick used to be able to kill Davaeorn without fuss, but not in my install!
    4. The battle horrors will follow the guard, who you will still control. Back him out and into another room, parking the battle horrors elsewhere.
    5. Out of sight, cast Horror (via special ability gained in Chapter 4) into Davaeorn's fog of war. Rest and repeat until he fails his saving throw.
    6. While he's wandering around unable to react, hurl darts of stunning at him until you hit and he fails a save. Once he's stunned, he should be dead meat, end of story.

At max level with 18 Dexterity and 3 proficiencies in Darts, your ThAC0 will be 6 and his AC is -10, so since attack rolls hit if they equal the AC, each shot has to roll a 16 to hit (i.e. 25% chance). Davaeorn's LoB saving throw v spell should be 5 and since saving throws succeed if they equal or exceed the saving throw, he should fail 4/20 = 20% of the time. Combining these, each shot should have a 25% x 20% = 5% chance of success. There are other modifiers you could bring into play (e.g. Champion's Strength scroll, -1 saves penalty from archer's called shot, extra modifier from 19 Dex c.f. Kiel's Buckler, Entangle's AC penalty or Bless' +1 to hit), but 5% success is a decent ballpark figure. With 4 ApR from darts giving a 20% chance per round and Horror's 1 turn = 10 round duration allowing some dead time wandering around or bad luck, it is not unreasonable to expect Davaeorn to succumb to a stun effect while panicked.

Except it does not go according to plan. Davaeorn's script still fires as soon as he sees me, regardless of whether he is panicked, I am in Stealth mode or otherwise. This will summon his guards, so I aim to kill him and be off before they arrive. He still dimension doors around, so I'd better have the boots of speed to keep up (I'll figure out how to kill Drasus et al later, this is a proof of concept!). His spell turning prevents Doom from sticking and lowering his saving throws. Worst of all, his Stoneskin defences fire and I think that this blocks the stunning effect - the only way to get through before his guards arrive would be to hit him with an arrow of dispelling to remove Stoneskin, but that would dispel the Horror as well.

This is really annoying because I think I'm good to go apart from this one encounter (Mulahey is also awkward, but Champion's Strength, Entangle and darts of stunning offer good enough chances). Arrows of dispelling don't cancel his spell turning, so it's not even as if I can savescum a lucky arrow + scroll combo... and waiting for it to wear off will ensure his army of minions will arrive. Am I missing something obvious?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    edited January 2021
    @AvidGamerFan I don't think stoneskin should block darts of stunning. PfMW would, as the dart would then not hit, but stoneskin just absorbs the physical damage from any attack, rather than blocking the attack completely. You can see that clearly if you use an elemental weapon like Greywolf's sword, where the elemental damage hits even though the basic damage is blocked. My guess is that Davaeorn is simply saving - try turning on the battle text so that you can see if he's rolling a saving throw against your successful attacks.

One caveat on the above. In early EE stoneskin didn't protect against poison, but now it does. I think that depends on your view of whether poison requires physical entry into the body or not (and possibly whether it's a magical effect). Personally I don't think stoneskin should stop poison, but it does in the current EE ...
  • AvidGamerFanAvidGamerFan Member Posts: 157
    Grond0 wrote: »
    @AvidGamerFan I don't think stoneskin should block darts of stunning. PfMW would, as the dart would then not hit, but stoneskin just absorbs the physical damage from any attack, rather than blocking the attack completely. You can see that clearly if you use an elemental weapon like Greywolf's sword, where the elemental damage hits even though the basic damage is blocked. My guess is that Davaeorn is simply saving - try turning on the battle text so that you can see if he's rolling a saving throw against your successful attacks.

I performed numerous tests with battle text on and there were multiple times when the save wasn't displayed. I believebthis either means that his save failed or it would have failed were it not for the LoB save bonus, but he never stopped moving, despite having multiple non-displayed saves. Eventually, I got fed up and used Ctrl+Q to charm him, Ctrl+Y to kill the guards and just kept chucking darts to see what would happen. With his protections up, he can 'fail' his save and be stunned, but it has no effect, as shown in this screenshot (the stunned icon on Davaeorn's portrait is present, but he is still controllable).
    z5kjgwbuvv5c.png

Hitting him with an arrow of dispelling removes the protection from normal missiles and stoneskin, but not the magic resistance (c.f. his robe) or the spell turning. Testing this, he can be stunned as usual. As far as I know, darts of stunning strike as +1 projectiles, so it must be Stoneskin doing the job. I was aware that elemental damage bypassed Stoneskin, so perhaps the stunning counts as a non-damaging poison effect?
    edited January 2021
    @AvidGamerFan Yeah Wizard Slayer will be tough deal, I've no ideas really. Wizard Slayer probably is the hardest class to solo, and even more so in LoB when you pretty much need all the help from items.
    Post edited by histamiini on
    @Blackraven Good stuff! I see you also sacrificed three Infrareds in the Bandit tent. I'm afraid next one will be more expensive. Davaeorn teleports randomly between four positions I think, for me he didn't visit Battle Horrors.

Chess Board is interesting, I guess lightnings should work normally? I don't remember it that much, is it impossible to avoid them?
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    @Blackraven Good stuff! I see you also sacrificed three Infrareds in the Bandit tent. I'm afraid next one will be more expensive. Davaeorn teleports randomly between four positions I think, for me he didn't visit Battle Horrors.

Chess Board is interesting, I guess lightnings should work normally? I don't remember it that much, is it impossible to avoid them?

Thanks! Good to know about Davaeorn, there is some luck involved there then.

As for Talos, well the chessboard has so many lightning bolt triggers on it that anyone trying to cross it will either need PfMagic or MGoI or end up with zero items in their inventory :p
    Yeah I was afraid no protection would lead situations like chessboard, which bottlenecks two bosses. Although they both can be skipped by the rules, like I'm planning to do. Need @Harpagornis input on this.
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited January 2021
    Lots of progress here - looks good. ;o)

Loreth faced Slythe after picking Sune´s boon allowing her to charm Larze (four tries) and then tying to lure Slythe upstairs... which failed cause this time Kristin followed... who got slaughtered by the Ogre who saved against all her spells... cool big one. As Slythe constantly refused to follow while Loreth had to soak up four backstabs she lured Larze downstairs and poor Slythe who was already out of Invsibility Potions got hacked to pieces by Larze and some backstabs.

The Palace Ambush with charms was so much easier. Charmed the Mage parked him upstairs and also charmed Ithtyl Calantryn thanks to her powerful spells. The five Dopplegangers had no chance after getting dispelled by Liira while Ithyl hasted everyone. Loreth buffed up stabbed in between for some damage boost.

Waited until the Mage transfomed and used Ithly with Globe of Invulnerability to soak up some spells before going down. One Guard died to Chromatic Orb while the Fire Elemental got hacked to pieces right before Ithyl died to the Mage. After that it was all about patience wearing down the defenses one by one.

End of the story: Liira still untouched while Belt was around half health. Not that bad.

Next target will be most likely Karoug.

Oh, i got another idea for a curse that points at the Fog of War - something that should be addressed more i think.

Mask: Creatures that are invisible or in the fog of war cannot be damaged or affected by any status effect

This would prevent out of sight Fireball burning and such cheapos. I think this fits perfectly to the Lord of Shadow protecting all that are unseen by Charname. Whats the opinion on this one?

We would also have to rename the old Mask regarding inventory access - any ideas which god would fit?

With regard to Talos we could change the word "affected" into "damaged" so if Charname is immune no loss of items - sounds okay @histamiini?
    edited January 2021
    @Harpagornis I think damaged is better, some mages might still surprise and destroy some of items. Out of sight attacks is tricky one. It would force fighters to take it, to beat Sarevok I think. It might be possible to kill Davaeorn and Sarevok minions with single charges, but managing single charge Sandthief and Goblet is very hard.
    Yeah, i will update Talos to "damaged by" while Mask is indeed tricky. On the one hand fireball into the fog of war is such a lame thing while on the other hand it makes some battles (for some classes) really hard. Maybe there is some elegant way around? If you have ideas feel free to post them! ;o)
    Well I've noticed I'm trying to make this challenge easier all the time, where as @Harpagornis is trying to make it harder. No surprises there. :D And the best solution is probably somewhere between. I agree with the out of sight bombing btw, if there's some good way to restrict that without closing classes away, I'm all for it.
    I performed numerous tests with battle text on and there were multiple times when the save wasn't displayed. I believebthis either means that his save failed or it would have failed were it not for the LoB save bonus, but he never stopped moving, despite having multiple non-displayed saves.

@jmerry has explained why Davaeorn is not affected by failed saves. The reason for the non-display of some saving throws is different - and you're right, it does relate to the LoB save bonus. The non-display occurs when a target would have failed its save except for a bonus applied to the die roll. In LoB all enemies get a bonus of +5 applied to the die roll, so it's much more common to see no saving throw displayed than it is in the normal game (though if you're a devotee of chromatic orb, the +6 on that results in plenty of examples of this behavior).
    edited January 2021
    Damn got lucky with Ragefast. I was level skipping his spells, which is pretty straight forward. Got out immediatelly when his stance changed, which wasted his action. I thought he was out of spells once he started spamming Wand of Paralyzation, and I countered that with Greenstone Amulet. Not so fast. Apparantly he observed Ganja enough, to time his WoP a fraction after my Greenstone was out, and stunned me. :D He still had the double Chromatics, which Ganja luckily evaded. Although after that he wasn't that smart when he just buggered off, and was then easily finished. Ramazith level skipping went much more smoothly as he doesn't have a wand.
    o69ib1dx3kjp.jpg
    4p3p373m7gd6.jpg
    Okay, i did a short test against Sarevok without out of sight bombing... it gets a bit trickier but it works. They only real change is that you have to get in view of one of them... in most cases Diarmid or Semaj and then you are free to blast them even though you will most likely get hit by an arrow... the poison ones are really nasty. This should also work against Davaeorn cause getting in vision for a short time should be no big deal. If everything fails with regard to Sarevok one could also aggro a bat and then burn them down.

Mask: Single creatures or groups that are in the fog of war cannot be damaged or affected by any status effect unless at least one of them is in vision of Charname

Is this a compromise everyone can live with?

Luck follows @histamiini - like always! *G*
    @Harpagornis Yeah that's probably enough to compromise.
    Updated the curse list....

Arvoreen: The inventory may be accessed during combat to use consumables but not to switch items

Mask: Single creatures or groups that are in the fog of war cannot be damaged or affected by any status effect unless at least one enemy is in vision of Charname

Okay, i have compromised a lot so now its up to you @histamiini to close the gate of one of your favourite cheapos. Which one should we aim at? I am also so kind that you may chose the name of the god that curses you! *G*

I have parked Loreth in the city for the moment as i am getting bored. Maybe its a good idea to test some other classes with regard to the challenge hoping the rest of you will hopefully pass through BG going for Big B soon! ;o)
    edited January 2021
    @Harpagornis Well something has been on my mind some time now. But I did not want to reveal it, until guestioned. :D

Ralishaz (god of chance) - Thou shalt not auto roll. :)
    edited January 2021
    Oh, i have a lot of ideas... no spell stacking... no shifting except for druids... no time stop... no staff of magi... no wish... you see i like mages a lot... Better tell it soon cause the ban hammer will grow with each day! *G*

Yeah, the no stat change upon char creation would be an idea. But who the hell is using Autoroller here? Banned forever! :P
    Yeah, the no stat change upon char creation would be an idea. But who the hell is using Autoroller here? Banned forever! :P
    Well don't go reading any of my runs... :#

Thats exactly why i wrote it down @histamiini. *G*

I think i might start some kind of Druid... tomorrow! ;o)
    Okay, i did a short test against Sarevok without out of sight bombing... it gets a bit trickier but it works. They only real change is that you have to get in view of one of them... in most cases Diarmid or Semaj and then you are free to blast them even though you will most likely get hit by an arrow... the poison ones are really nasty. This should also work against Davaeorn cause getting in vision for a short time should be no big deal. If everything fails with regard to Sarevok one could also aggro a bat and then burn them down.

Mask: Single creatures or groups that are in the fog of war cannot be damaged or affected by any status effect unless at least one of them is in vision of Charname.

The bat solution seems slightly odd. Apart from the fact they move around all over the place, I wouldn't have thought bats would be considered as part of Sarevok's group - and therefore you shouldn't be entitled to affect Sarevok like that ...

It will also make some encounters significantly more difficult for me if a character doesn't have stealth. If you're spamming healing potions or Durlag's Goblet then being hit by a few more arrows may be trivial. However, if no healing potions or items are being used then every bit of damage in a contest that you can't break off from to rest can be crucial. Oh well, I guess it adds to the sweetness of life while it lasts o:).