Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    I like your experimentation and spirit of adventure @alice_ashpool - reminds me of the early days of this challenge. Keep on rolling!

Some feedback about Lliira would be nice:

Lliira: After each chapter Charname has to donate 10.000 gold at a temple

Are 10k gold too much? Should we lower it to 5k? Or are there other ideas for this one?
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    I still prefer a maximum amount of gold that may be carried around, if only because it requires less administration. It applies all the time and if you initially don't notice you're carrying too much gold, you can correct it relatively quickly in most cases by visiting the nearest temple. Having to donate after every chapter ends amounts to "admin stuff", somewhat uninteresting to-do stuff that I may well forget to actually do if I don't keep a checklist or something. Or even worse: without a checklist I'll probably forget even if I did pay after, say, Chapter 5. I'll be like: "I already paid, right? Or was that after Chapter 4?"

What I do like about the curse, is that having to pay 10k after Chapter 1, means Chapter 2 cannot be initiated so easily. Mages who intend to keep the ring of wizardry have quite a bit of money making to do before they can visit Nashkel, and non-Mages basically lose the free 9k from the ring.
    edited January 2021
    Hmmm I've rolled 96 point Berserker, and now I don't know what to do with it. The original plan was to dual to Druid so I'd have a strong character with relatively little inventory management conflict, thanks to limited weapon access and to berserker rage reducing the need for certain potions. But when I think of the late game as well, even though I'm totally unlikely to make it there, Thac0 progression seems to become an issue with enemies' insane AC no? Or do I focus to much on the fighter part, and not enough on the druid part? How about Berserker/Mage, with way worse Thac0 unless dualled very late?

Right now I reckon the best duals in terms of warrior ability would be Berserker/Cleric thanks to all the buffs and Berserker/Thief with the best off-hand weapon in the game and with access to weapons like the Answerer and Soul Reaver. The Berserker/Mage also gets access to those weapons of course, but will probably still have a hard time landing the initial hits with them and has very few weapon proficiencies after dualling.

How would you rank the various Berserker duals for the purpose of the Cataclysm challenge, and why? Or would someone stick to single-class?

Edit:
    Thinking about it more, I'm now inclined to go Mage: once Thac0 becomes an issue, Tenser's will have become available. From that point combat could be started with cc and disabling magic, and buffs of course, and then followed by Tenser's to clean up. Sounds like fun :)
    Post edited by Blackraven on
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,437
    edited January 2021
    @Harpagornis Don't know if 5k or 10k will make difference, it's going to hurt rechargers easily the most though. Fighters will have hard time recharging Sandthief ring and OGL, and with no charming or summons they're being squeesed out from Catalysm. Maybe 5k for starters? Or does merging donations and no recharging make any sense?
  • alice_ashpoolalice_ashpool Member Posts: 261
    @histamiini could you link the part in this massive thread where you talk about getting past B with a Sorc and/or a cleric/mage please. I'm pleased its been done since the only time I every fought him as a solo caster (Non-LoB, Insane, Cleric/mage) I just gave up in frustration.
    edited January 2021
    Thanks for your replies! Lliira seems to offer lots of options. I am fan of maximum gold limit that characters can carry as it also synergises to some degree with Ilmater. We may also give it a more flexible approach:

Lliira: The maximum amount of gold Charname can have is his carrying weight x 100

This favours Fighter classes thanks to their better starting Strength. Other ideas?

At the moment it looks most of us (me too) prefers to take Waukeen. Mages are more or less forced to take this while even Fighters gain a lot (Sandthief Ring, Durlags Goblet...) so i think it might be a good idea to tone it down a bit. What about...

Waukeen: Items can be recharged only once in shops

Is this enough for our Mage lovers to open new possibilities regarding other curses? Feedback is welcome!

@Blackraven: Yeah, Berserker7/Druid is one of my favourites even though leveling might be quite painful. Your choice!
    edited January 2021
    @histamiini could you link the part in this massive thread where you talk about getting past B with a Sorc and/or a cleric/mage please. I'm pleased its been done since the only time I every fought him as a solo caster (Non-LoB, Insane, Cleric/mage) I just gave up in frustration.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/62202/the-lob-scs-solo-challenge-vs-bhaal-s-cataclysm/p178

Lv1 immunity is practically the only way for Sorcerer through Bel with saving throw fix. Or maybe improve the Fireshield Blue tactic somehow? C/M though can dispatch him in no time with Martyr's Morningstar, Enchanted Weapon and Durlag's Goblet.

@Harpagornis Recharging only once sounds more reasonable, and makes Waukeen less of a default choice.
    Both your suggestions excallent I think @Harpagornis!

Liira's carrying weight * 100 is very well thought out. And so is Waukeen's limited recharging. Maybe we could take Waukeen even a bit further by allowing Charname to recharge a limited number of items, maybe 3 or 5? By that I mean individual items, not categories of items. So if you pick the wand of fire once, you can only recharge one wand of fire, for example the one you find in the ankheg nest, and no other wands of fire unless you choose the wand of fire twice. Without such a limitation there are still five necklaces of missiles that can be charged once each, countless wands, and a couple of shield amulets to name some obvious rechargable items.
    Thanks for your feedback @Blackraven, i think for the moment we might leave Waukeen at one recharge per item. If still doesnt fit in the middle-long run we might change it again - okay?

Here is the updated list of curses:

Chauntea: No XP farming unless Charname has gained 3.000.000 XP´s

Cyric: Potion- and spellbuffs with a duration of less than 2 hours may only be applied during combat

Gond : No forged items by Jegg Hillcarver, Cromwell & Cespenar

Ilmater: No containers of any kind

Lliira: The maximum amount of gold Charname can have is his carrying weight *100

Lolth: No antidots or elixirs of health

Malar: Except for Beast Masters only one summon spell can be active in combat

Mask: The inventory may be accessed during combat to use consumables but not to switch items

Mystra: Each creature gains the saving throw fix

Selune: Resting is only allowed in inns and cleared dungeon floors. In the wilderness it only works near houses

Sune: Creatures cannot be charmed or dominated unless using an innate ability

Tempus: Except for Wizard Slayers retreats from ambushes are only possible if
    1. At least one enemy takes damage
    2. Charname takes damage from a physical attack or gets hit by a spell/gaze

Torm: Familiars cannot attack but are allowed to take other actions as normal

Tymora: Random number of Hit Points on level up and no INT-buffing for scroll scribing

Tyr: No attacking or killing of innocents unless they can be provoked through dialogue

Waukeen: Items can be recharged only once in shops

16+1 curses so far - nice. I hope no one gets lost in there...
    edited January 2021
    @Harpagornis I like it, seems more balanced now.

Damn Beast Master/Cleric has pretty measly weapons for SoA. Clubs, Quarterstaffs and Slings, and because they can't be improved (Gond) only +4 options are two Staffs and Slings, Sling of Everard being the only +5 option (+BMU in ToB). :D
    As you wish @Harpagornis. @histamiini, you raise a good point. Do you think it would be fairer to the different classes and weapon types to loosen Gond's curse? Something like:
    Gond: Jegg, Cromwell, and Cespenar can each upgrade just one item.
    Personally I tend to like curses more when they aren't so absolute.

Btw does no containers mean no chests either? I'm running out of space fast. Is it safe to sell stuff, as in items won't disappear in the inventory?
    histamiini wrote: »
    Personally I tend to like curses more when they aren't so absolute.

What do you say @Harpagornis?
    histamiini wrote: »
    Btw does no containers mean no chests either? I'm running out of space fast. Is it safe to sell stuff, as in items won't disappear in the inventory?

Yes, I find this one the harder parts of the Cataclysm challenge. The only option is to not pick up stuff from containers until you need it, and yes, you can safely sell and buy back later. At least I'm not aware of any inventories that get overwritten.
    edited January 2021
    Yeah, i can live with losening Gond a bit while selling items and buy them back should be the only way around the no container curse in my opinion, right?!

Update:

Gond: Jegg, Cromwell, and Cespenar can each upgrade just one item

This should give especially Fighter classes a little bit more options in the mid-late game!
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    Lliira: The maximum amount of gold Charname can have is his carrying weight *100

Ouch - that's going to make progressing with Wimp significantly harder >:)
    trzb0uhb4sdp.jpg
    Thanks for the detailed feedback @alice_ashpool.

I ran into similar problems regarding ambushes... that you hit the enemies easily while they have a hard time to touch you... what about this solution...

Tempus: Except for Wizard Slayers retreats from ambushes are only possible if
    1. At least one enemy takes damage
    2. Charname takes damage from a physical attack or gets hit by a spell/gaze
    OR
    1. Charname kills one enemy

Should be an easy job for well-armed or -spelled characters, no?

With regard to Lliira: Personally i like this but thats the opinion of someone who never really plays Mages. If the curse tends to shut down weak spellcasters too much we can still balance things out.

Yeah, i also agree that Torm and not allowing Familiars attacking anything is kind of lacking something.... hhmmmm.... i am open for alternatives!

Lifting more curses after each part is a big NO for me. What i can think of is....

Charname is allowed to choose another divine curse after each part. That would give us a bit more flexibility while still maintaining the challenge level. What do you think?
    edited January 2021
    It took a while, but finally got one of the bosses down. Kahrk fell for Oil of Speed and 28 hits from Ring of Energy. Ring of Energy was acquired by OGL'n Denak's party out of sight. Currently at lv5.
    0erayz96b0n8.jpg
    /img]

@Harpagornis I agree killing enemy in ambush should be enough too.
    @Grond0, go Wimp! :triumph: Bellyfat eat your heart out!

@everyone, I want to express my appreciation to all of you for really redesigning the game with this challenge and all the curses! Amazing!

@Harpagornis:
    - Good improvement for Tempus, it will tackle the issue @alice_ashpool mentioned while keeping ambushes relevant.
    - Regarding Liira, @alice_ashpool makes a fair point that wealth is already affected by Tempus and Ilmater. Maybe another restriction isn't really necessary.
    - I love the idea of curse switching being allowed upon completion of each part, as it adds customizability, opening up potential for interesting builds and playthroughs.
    edited January 2021
    Okay... got the point... and... yeah... i dont want poor Wimp getting crushed by a single gold coin. So lets remove Lliira for the moment cause the donation after each chapter is too lame...

Tempus update looks fine and will go live shorty - unless someone else says: No, no!

I got an idea regarding Talos but thats a really brutal one:

Talos: Spells, Scrolls and Potions cannot be used to protect against elemental attacks

If you have another - maybe more elegant way - to make elemental attacks more dangerous: Your chance!
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    If you want to restrict purchases more, how about making Waukeen limit you to only being able to buy one copy of each type of item? That would put more of a premium on finding things when adventuring (so you could sell and repurchase), rather than making use of infinite supplies of wands in shop stocks.
  • alice_ashpoolalice_ashpool Member Posts: 261
    I've hit a wall: Demon Knight. Not sure how to do this without physical damage. And the DD was going so well: Polymorph Other was cleaning up :(
    Taking risks whenever possible Loreth killed Taurgosz while the whole Bandit Camp failed to find the sneaky Shadow Dancer. Stealthed out unseen and unharmed... next target: Cloakwood.
    4890kvfd90er.jpg

@alice_ashpool: Maybe some of our Mage Lovers can help you regarding the Demon Knight!
    I've hit a wall: Demon Knight. Not sure how to do this without physical damage. And the DD was going so well: Polymorph Other was cleaning up :(

Yes, a serious challenge for a single-class wizard. I never use it myself, but have you tried it with the mirror? If you can take out your own mirror fiend, then it could help to get the Demon Knight attacked by its own mirror fiend which presumably gets all LoB bonuses as well. A fully charged wand of monster summoning to get occasional crits from ogres and gnolls?