Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• Stupid_PunsStupid_Puns Member Posts: 66
    edited November 2017
    Oh great and powerful masters of the LOB, I have come seeking enlightenment. I've gotten to very far in my LoB SCS playthrough, however, I've reached a stalemate. I just finished the Wolfwere Island, and now I'm trying to kill Loup Garo (Mendas), but of course, not only does he regenerate, but he also is immune to all weapons except for the Werewolf dagger and bastard sword. His Magic resistance to too high to try and slow/stun him, I've tried everything I can think of, monster summoning, greater malison, ray of enfeeblement, glitterdust, blindness, nothing effects this guy. And everytime I do wound him, I am at 2 hp, so I drink a couple of potions while he's distracted by my summons, and by the time I'm ready for Round 2, he's got 1/2 his life back! As such, if any of you LOB ninjas out there can help me, thanks is most certainly appreciated. Also, apologies if this question has answered before, I looked around for only five minutes and didn't find anything, so, here I am now.
    Edit: Alright, well, after some trial and error, I summoned some monsters, Greater Malison, and The Wand of Fear, then I just attacked him with The sword/dagger of Balduran. For anyone having trouble, there you go.
    Post edited by Stupid_Puns on
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609

How do I set the LoB difficulty? Are you guys using xp cap? Thinking doing this on DD or Cavalier.

If you want a challenge you have to use xp cap, it would be much more fun without it tho. :tongue:

@Stupid_Puns
    I've never done the Werewolf island on LoB, @Harpagornis might have.
    But:
    If you have a party with a druid you can use the level 5 spell Magic Resistance on him (you get it at level 9, 2 uses at level 10 and if you used all 3 wisdom tomes resulting in 21 wisdom an extra use.

This "buffs" his Magic Resistance down to 18/20% and now you can just pelt him with wands.
    Spam monster summoning wand with a wizard to keep him distracted,

If you solo it is a bit harder, especially if you are not a druid, but honestly 55% magic resistance should still mjean you hit him almost every 2nd try and wands offer no save.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    edited November 2017

How do I set the LoB difficulty? Are you guys using xp cap? Thinking doing this on DD or Cavalier.

If you want a challenge you have to use xp cap, it would be much more fun without it tho. :tongue:
    So I'm thinking:

LoB
    Normal XP cap
    EET+Unfinished Business
    SCS

What are people thoughts on taking party members for the quests you have to, like accepting Neera to get his gem bag, or taking a party member to kiss the Sirine?

So I'm thinking:

LoB
    Normal XP cap
    EET+Unfinished Business
    SCS

What are people thoughts on taking party members for the quests you have to, like accepting Neera to get his gem bag, or taking a party member to kiss the Sirine?

I used to do that in BG2, but there's no point doing that in BG1.
    The XP cap is super low you don't need to do every quest like the sirines kiss.
    You get Neeras bag without taking her in, she dies super quickly on LoB, either kill her yourself if you can do this while avoiding her dialogue to pop up, or if you feel adventurous start her dialogue let her die to the mobs and gth away from them (unless you feel strong enough to kill them, but the mage hits hard even if you have shield amulet active he has quite a few spells beside MM.
    (Easiest way to run away from them is run towards the east and area transition away from Bereghost, they will stay in that part of the map and you don't have to go there ever, also area looting her bag helps, area loot in general is a very strong option since it doesn't break stealth/invis)
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited November 2017
    Welcome @histamiini & @Stupid_Puns - good to see someone else is keeping this challenge alive! ;)

Regarding the Greater Werewolves: I usually killed them fully buffed with quick hit & run. My dual wielding F/D was even able to beat them in a straight 1vs1 without running away. Really awesome.

You should avoid Party Members whenever possible. Neera? Kill her if you want her bag! This is a solo challenge so you should avoid help or joining if its not essential. Exceptions in my view are for instance the Crusaders Attacks on Coalition Camp in SoD where you can get help from different troops or allied Balthazar when fighting Amelyssan in ToB.

Keep rolling! :)
    edited November 2017

So I'm thinking:

LoB
    Normal XP cap
    EET+Unfinished Business
    SCS

You get Neeras bag without taking her in, she dies super quickly on LoB, either kill her yourself if you can do this while avoiding her dialogue to pop up, or if you feel adventurous start her dialogue let her die to the mobs and gth away from them (unless you feel strong enough to kill them, but the mage hits hard even if you have shield amulet active he has quite a few spells beside MM.
    (Easiest way to run away from them is run towards the east and area transition away from Bereghost, they will stay in that part of the map and you don't have to go there ever, also area looting her bag helps, area loot in general is a very strong option since it doesn't break stealth/invis)
    I was thinking doing that to get the helmet, which you can't get without the kiss, but I don't probably need it anyway.

Welcome @histamiini & @Stupid_Puns - good to see someone else is keeping this challenge alive! ;)

Regarding the Greater Werewolves: I usually killed them fully buffed with quick hit & run. My dual wielding F/D was even able to beat them in a straight 1vs1 without running away. Really awesome.

You should avoid Party Members whenever possible. Neera? Kill her if you want her bag! This is a solo challenge so you should avoid help or joining if its not essential. Exceptions in my view are for instance the Crusaders Attacks on Coalition Camp in SoD where you can get help from different troops or allied Balthazar when fighting Amelyssan in ToB.

Letting her die is a good advice, which Cavalier has to do with Drizz also. o:) There's also the druid challenge in BG2 which you have to do with a Druid, but that's solo kind of anyway.

Also I'm thinking not installing the nerfed Carsomyr, because I want to compare official classes eventually, and paladin and mage are the only ones nerfed I think. Is that cool?

edited November 2017
    Just a side-note @histamiini: The Cavalier will run into a neverending nightmare somewhere in SoD (you want some spoilers?). I stopped my run cause of this even though i think that there might be a way. Theoretically.

My DD was much more fun - until he died in SoA! :D
    edited November 2017
    Nah, don't tell @Harpagornis My Cavalier will still want to fight even knowing of the inevitable doom, he's that kind of person. :|

Oh great and powerful masters of the LOB, I have come seeking enlightenment. I've gotten to very far in my LoB SCS playthrough, however, I've reached a stalemate. I just finished the Wolfwere Island, and now I'm trying to kill Loup Garo (Mendas), but of course, not only does he regenerate, but he also is immune to all weapons except for the Werewolf dagger and bastard sword. His Magic resistance to too high to try and slow/stun him, I've tried everything I can think of, monster summoning, greater malison, ray of enfeeblement, glitterdust, blindness, nothing effects this guy. And everytime I do wound him, I am at 2 hp, so I drink a couple of potions while he's distracted by my summons, and by the time I'm ready for Round 2, he's got 1/2 his life back! As such, if any of you LOB ninjas out there can help me, thanks is most certainly appreciated. Also, apologies if this question has answered before, I looked around for only five minutes and didn't find anything, so, here I am now.
    Edit: Alright, well, after some trial and error, I summoned some monsters, Greater Malison, and The Wand of Fear, then I just attacked him with The sword/dagger of Balduran. For anyone having trouble, there you go.

Awesome find.
    Yeah i figured 55% MR shouldn't be impossible and wand of Monster summoning is just the cheesiest item in BG1, if you have a couple of charges it can solo Sarevok on LoB and even if the monsters can't hurt something like the werewolf they are just a great distraction.
    edited November 2017

So I'm thinking:

LoB
    Normal XP cap
    EET+Unfinished Business
    SCS

I was thinking doing that to get the helmet, which you can't get without the kiss, but I don't probably need it anyway.

Letting her die is a good advice, which Cavalier has to do with Drizz also. o:) There's also the druid challenge in BG2 which you have to do with a Druid, but that's solo kind of anyway.

Also I'm thinking not installing the nerfed Carsomyr, because I want to compare official classes eventually, and paladin and mage are the only ones nerfed I think. Is that cool?

There is no point in installing nerfs to items and abilities if you play LoB.
    LoB difficulty is the worst excuse of a good difficulty setting I've ever seen, you couldn't be lazier in creating a hard difficulty than the creators of LoB have been.
    The only two reasons I'm playing LoB are:
    1. This challenge here
    I have learned so much from the people posting here, which I never would have stumbled upon myself and actually being able to exchange about such an old game with like minded people is a lot of fun.

2. Insane is just not hard even with ScS it's a joke of a difficulty.
    Through playing LoB and reading these forums I have learned so much about BG in general that whenever I start playing Insane I feel like playing on easy, so LoB has this one upside of you having to learn about the game.
    But i would not nerf yourself in any way unless you feel like LoB + ScS is not big enough of a challenge and you need an extra challenge, but I have stopped using nerfed items or classes a long time qago, I can use every little bit of cheese I can get.
    I feel you, that's the way I see it too. More you learn, more challenge you want, which make you want to learn more. It's happened same way to me, first playthrough with easy party, next core party SCS, next hard solo SCS, and now I feel like I'm ready to jump to this. But I wouldn't do it probably either without this challenge.

I remember we had the same discussion before regarding Enchanted Weapon @Victor_Creed_SFV but as i never play Mages i ignored it more or less. Martyr should work fine in theory even without enchantment even though i failed horribly once when using it on a no-reload-run. Acid Arrows should be funny. :D

I remember we had the same discussion before regarding Enchanted Weapon @Victor_Creed_SFV but as i never play Mages i ignored it more or less. Martyr should work fine in theory even without enchantment even though i failed horribly once when using it on a no-reload-run. Acid Arrows should be funny. :D

Yes but back then neither of us knew whether you can actually get the spell as guaranteed drop in SoD, it not being available in BG1, unless you get a random lucky drop. (I never have).

But Scotti said in that vid he had the scroll in that same spot on a previous pt, so I assume it should drop there guranteed.

You don't need to play a mage to use it a bard would also work.
    Most fun would be fighter dualed into mage tho,4 pips into 3 APR and massive thaco with a comp bow +2 (+4 damage :P)
    I updated the challenger list and - *cough* - with all the new life around here i am almost tempted to start another no-reload-run getting back the needed routine for Eklun and Korgath. D:OS2 starts to get boring even though Honor Mode is still thrilling - sometimes. :D
    edited November 2017
    Installed EET, SCS (all but items part) and Ascencion. I use BWS, so I wonder if it has xp cap on?

Name: Sir Vanderley
    Class: Cavalier
    Roll: 93 18/92,18,18,9,13,17
    Proficiencies: ** Scimitars, ** Two-Weapon Style

Prologue: Nothing really happened, the usual. Except rats murdered me, or should I say a rat. Did 2 damage max. against one of them, so I had to skip that.

Chapter 1: Picked the diamond and went to Friendly Arm Inn, except the inn isn't really friendly anymore and the bouncer trounced me. So I thought that I have to get more powerful fast, but before that richer. So I picked the Wizard ring and went to Naskhel pick the armor from the field. Also got first major xp harassing Noober, for once this guy was being useful. Then headed west to pick up couple of Scimitars which went surprisingly smoothly. Then headed pack dropping by High Hedge to pick up Wand of Sleep. And I thought now I'll show that friendly bouncer. Except the wand doesn't work and he MM me to the death every time.

Shouldn't the wand give some feedpack? I don't get any feedpack using it against anyone in Friendly Arm Inn?
    Post edited by histamiini on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited November 2017
    So the item is pretty much useless in LoB? Because even commoners just shrugged it off. Thalantyr selling really powerful stuff nowadays. :D
    Yeah, Cavaliers can be quite a powerhouse when playing around their "weakness". I always liked their immunities. Throwing Axes were my best friends later on and with the returning one he kited everything to death even in SoD. Well - nearly everything! *cough*
    edited November 2017
    Tarnesh hates shield amulet + Greenstone. ;)
    edit: oh and the same which goes for sleep goes for turn undead in BG1/SoD.
    In BG2 you can actually get highlevel enough to turn pretty much anything I think I even tried it on kangaxx quite a while ago and it worked on LoB.
    edited November 2017
    Got Level 2 with some mundane tasks. Then tried Ankheg and I can actually take it pretty easy already in melee. So I'll be farming them for couple levels then. Should I take point for axe, as there are good returning throwing axes in Candlekeep and SoD?
    Throwing Axe +2 from Prat later on is pretty awesome because of 2 speed factor (and ofc it is unlimited) so point for axe is always worth.
    edited November 2017
    Yeah took point on axe, will probably take second also. Then I'll go for Two-Handed for BG2 if I ever get there.

Got lv5 farming Ankheg's and trekked to Beregost and back selling them with a wee bit less than competition. Got meself also a Full Plate and Girdle of Missiles, because I heard there was some phony sword master full of himself in Firewine Ruins. Turns out he wasn't phony.

I think I can call today a success. Beginning really smacks you in the face, but then Ankheg's were kind enough to get things going.
    edited November 2017
    So I'm being held a lot and thought I'll pick up a Ring Of Free Action from Dushai. I can kill him because my rep is 15, but would like to avoid it. So I used Mental Domination on him and made him attack Shandalar. Shandalar destroyed him, and half the commoners before teleporting away. But Dushai didn't drop his usual stuff, only 200 gold?
    edited November 2017

So I'm being held a lot and thought I'll pick up a Ring Of Free Action from Dushai. I can kill him because my rep is 15, but would like to avoid it. So I used Mental Domination on him and made him attack Shandalar. Shandalar destroyed him, and half the commoners before teleporting away. But Dushai didn't drop his usual stuff, only 200 gold?

Sounds like if Shandalar froze Dushai and her items were destroyed.
    Oh yeah that's what actually happened. :D