Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,447
    Ok how do you kill Belhifet? I've had him at the last red bar forever, and have done 618 damage?
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    I think he has 1k hp...
    Overall?
    Yeah that's it, I've done 618 damage during the last red bar only but I've been taking it too slowly apparently. :s
  • HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited November 2017
    Nice job @histamiini. You really killed Big B on first try with normal hit & hit and no invisibility potions? Man, your micro abilities seem to be godlike. As well as your luck. With skills like this even Mel will be a "cakewalk". Well. Nearly. :D

@Victor_Creed_SFV: Tested Mindflayer form a bit - looked decent enough for a lot of enemies. Too bad i am playing no Mages! :D
    edited November 2017
    Well first real fight after doing couple of test runs. I did go without invisibility potions for a while, but noticed that the annoying teleporting stopped with them, so I started using them. Is there any other tactic against Bel, I mean how does for example mage kill him?
    @Harpagornis embrace the cheese and play thief with Vhailor's and Mage scrolls. :P
    edited November 2017
    @chimaera killed Big B with his Dragon Disciple but he used the SR-Mod which gave him the opportunity to combine a Fireshield with acid damage while he was immune thanks to Otilukes Sphere. Big B killed himself as he was trying to damage the invulnerable Mage. Really bad AI here. But let us ask our Mage Pros @Grond0 or @Victor_Creed_SFV how they would deal with Big B as a Mage. ;)

I have read somewhere that a guy managed to beat Big B without Invisibilty using a Fighter/Mage. He was not only using any protection spell he could get but also killing the minions first and only then turning on Big B over and over again. Anyway: The Invisible Hit & Run tactic works absolutely great with most Fighter classes so i always use it even when doing no-reload-runs. Bad luck, tireness and missing patience are your worst enemies then. :D

P.S. Yeah, Korgath was doing exactly this in the final fight against Mel @Victor_Creed_SFV. :D
    Hmm, with Echo Of The Fiend I can have two Fireshield (reds) inside the PfM. Time to test it out.
    Yeah, test it out @histamiini. In the meanwhile Bavaborass is having a lot of fun with his Skeleton Warriors (plus Doom & Hold Person). Even big bad Bassilus had no chance against the undead "army". Thats how i like it. Watching how the pets are punching everything into the ground while drinking a cup of tea without any rush. Time to visit poor Dushai and preparing his funeral. :D
    edited November 2017
    Holy shit! Did it in first try, used PfM and buffed up, then at the beginning of the fight used the first Fireshield. Got Belhifet to third bar. But then I was surrounded, Fireshield ended, and had to rely solely on DG because there was no time to recast Fireshield. But I was able to get Bel near death until my DG was gone. Then fired the last Fireshield as a last resort and boom he went down. Tedious 1 hour fight just changed to 3 minutes of mayhem.

edited November 2017
    Hhhhmmmm... but arent - like the battle log states - Big B (and most demons?) immune to the Fire damage? What am i missing?

P.S. Big B was killed by his own Hamatula. Thats always funny! :D
    edited November 2017
    Sure but doesn't Fireshield also protect from melee damage so I'm tanking them long enough?
    Like the Wiki says:

Fireshield (Red)
    The red Fireshield protects the user from fire damage by surrounding the caster with a shield of flame. This shield not only grants the user 50% Fire Resistance, but also protects the caster from attacks made within a 5-ft. radius around the caster. An opponent that hits the caster with any weapons or spells within this radius suffers 1d8+2 fire damage.

No melee protection. If there isnt any hidden bonus it looks like the gods were blessing you with supernatural luck. :D
    edited November 2017
    Hmm, but also protects the caster from attacks made within a 5-ft, that's kind of vague? Anyway I only buffed to 200hp, buffing to 300hp should make it more repeatable method. Cavalier will have the lowest THAC0 against Bel of any class I think, and I'll hit almost always.
    I think the phrase "but also protects the caster from attacks made within a 5-ft" only means that anyone who hits the caster within this range will have to feel the pain of its retalation damage.

The only classes that can compete here would be the Kensai and the Ranger with Arch Enemy "Demon". The latter one proved to be a walk in the park pretty much like your Cavalier. Never tried a Kensai here - could be interesting. :D
    edited November 2017
    Holy mother of vague descriptions. :D Yeah tested it on Heprenaan when he's was still alive and he hits me. So it was just plain old tanking with the Goblet. Well atleast it's also a viable method.
    With a fully buffed Cavalier and maybe a Ranger (Kensai too?) it looks like you can take the risk of plain tanking (maybe with summons for distraction?). But i wouldnt consider it as a viable method in a no-reload-run. At least not if you try to minimize any risks. "Crazy" @Grond0 however will love you bold approach! :D
    edited November 2017
    I don't think any Cavalier or ranger has more Thac0 than a fighter dualed to mage with 4 pips in longbow (4 pips just means plain +2 thac0 over 2 pips and Cavalaier and Ranger don't get more than 2) who uses enchanted weapon for acid arrows which is another 2 Thac0 because equipping any arrows even regular ones gives +1 Thaco.
    Also the 2d6 acid damage is guaranteed since there is no save and Big B has no acid resistance.

Btw I tested the Mind Flayer form a bit in ToB and at least with SCS and improved shifting (no idea if this even affeects the mage spell) devour brain instakills summoned skeleton warriors and the shades in the sewers, unlike npc mindflayers who can't touch undead.

Only enemies immune to +2 weapons are untouched by the flayers but I don't think too many enemies are innately immune to it and you can always outwait spells that only last 4 rounds, apart from the fact that a high level mage has other ways to deal with enemies than just Flayers. :P
    But I've never seen such killspeed on loB ToB before, the 1st trial even bugged out after the drow because they went down too quickly. :D

edit: I think improved mindflayers of scs might actually affect the mindflayer fotrm, since it has high resistances and seems to detect invis...
    edited November 2017
    Ah, so much fun getting back to good old BG. Bavaborass managed to grab a lot of fine items along his way.

Ring fo Free Action from Dushai (only 8 tries before charm affected him!) as well as the Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise from Meilum who had no chance against the Skeletons and the Warhammer +2 from Bassilus who also was obliterated by the Skeletons. Not to forget the Ring of Fire Resistance, Large Shield +1, some more Girdles, Necklace of Missiles and the Shield Amulet.

Thanks to Sanctuary he sneaked through the Nashkel Mines and reached Mulahey without any problems. The evil Cleric was charmed on the second try and feeded to his own Kobolds. With another precious ring Bavaborass will soon head back to Beregost and the Bandit Camp. The ambushes did not prove to be any danger so far as the enemies are mostly not able to hit the well protected Dwarf.

edited November 2017

I don't think any Cavalier or ranger has more Thac0 than a fighter dualed to mage with 4 pips in longbow (4 pips just means plain +2 thac0 over 2 pips and Cavalaier and Ranger don't get more than 2) who uses enchanted weapon for acid arrows which is another 2 Thac0 because equipping any arrows even regular ones gives +1 Thaco.
    Also the 2d6 acid damage is guaranteed since there is no save and Big B has no acid resistance

Here's Cavalier max output against Belhifet before Power Potion.

Cavalier lv9 12 THAC0 base, -3 +3dmg bonus
    Specialized -1 +2
    Strenght -7 +14
    Scimitars -3 1d8+3
    Helm Of Balduran -1
    Gauntlets -1 +2
    Medal Of Valor -2
    Belt Of Skillful Blade 10%
    Oil Of Speed 4 attacks

-6/-4 THAC0, 28-35 dmg per attack, 4 attacks per round
    Average dmg per round 126

I wonder what's Bel's AC?

Also the 2d6 acid damage is guaranteed since there is no save and Big B has no acid resistance

Here's Cavalier max output against Belhifet before Power Potion.

Cavalier lv9 12 THAC0 base, -3 +3dmg bonus
    Specialized -1 +2
    Strenght -7 +14
    Scimitars -3 1d8+3
    Helm Of Balduran -1
    Gauntlets -1 +2
    Medal Of Valor -2
    Belt Of Skillful Blade 10%
    Oil Of Speed 4 attacks

-6/-4 THAC0, 28-35 dmg per attack, 4 attacks per round
    Average dmg per round 126

I wonder what's Bel's AC?
    Hm, I forgot the base Thac0, since fighter duals at 7 it is only a 14, so the Cavalier ends up with 1 Thac0 less than fighter but also less damage since Comp Lbow +2 + Acid Arrows is
    1d6 +4 base damage, but the deciding factor here is 2d6 acid damage.
    (especially since Big B only takes half missile damage compared to melee, but since he takes full acid damage the arrows hit MUCH harder).

Idk how deciding 1 Thac0 is here, but since there are also crits I feel like it might not be too deciding.
    There is one more factor tho, the 25 ST potion doesn't apply to bows...

Then again bows have the massive advantage of not having to be close to Big B.
    (But also the disadvantage of taking 4 more damage in melee due to no melee weapon equipped)
    I wonder how valid monster summoning wand spam is if you combine it with bow, guess it depends if you can stop the melee summons from attacking you or if it is still better to go invis like @Harpagornis always does.
    edited November 2017
    Drinking Power Potion gives yet another -1 to Thac0 at that point I think, still not entirely sure how it works? Well I'll calculate with -7/-5:

Cavalier -7/-5 THAC0, 3/1 attacks per round, 28-35 dmg per attack
    Belhifet -12 AC, 25% melee resistance, 1130 HP
    Hit Probability 80% (16/20) main hand, 70% (14/20) off hand
    Average damage per attack 23.5 (28*0.75-35*0.75)/2
    Average damage per round 88 (23.5*3*0.8+23.5*1*0.7)
    Average time to kill Belhifet about 13 rounds or 77 seconds (1130/88)

before regen that is, anyone know his regen rate?

Somebody correct if I'm wrong?

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,324

Hmm, but also protects the caster from attacks made within a 5-ft, that's kind of vague? Anyway I only buffed to 200hp, buffing to 300hp should make it more repeatable method. Cavalier will have the lowest THAC0 against Bel of any class I think, and I'll hit almost always.

I've not tried buffing HPs against Belhifet, but with multiple potions of power / heroism you should be able to get way over 300 (probably nearer 1,000). If you used all the available potions I would imagine that a fight in which you were using Durlag's Goblet would become relatively straightforward. I never allow my characters to use healing items (like potions or Durlag's goblet), so couldn't use that particular tactic. However, I haven't made up my mind whether use of a scroll of Greater Restoration should be allowed. That would also re-maximise HPs, though at the expense of causing fatigue. I suspect though that even fatigued it would still be possible to finish Big B off in melee.

All the action on this thread is tempting me to have another go. I wonder what character class I should try out?
    edited November 2017

Here are Big B´s stats:

1130 HP
    -12 AC
    80% magic resistance
    100% fire resistance
    50% cold resistance
    25% melee damage resistance
    50% missile damage resistance
    Saves are -3/-1/-2/-3/0

Wouldn't something like Feeblemind (with low probability) work on him then?