Skip to content

The LoB + SCS Solo Challenge vs Bhaal´s Cataclysm

Comments

• histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,442
    Killed Dushai meself and got the Ring of Free Action. This is why I also like Cavalier, I'm now immune to charm, poison, fear, morale failure, hold, grease, web, entangle and slow.
  • Victor_Creed_SFVVictor_Creed_SFV Member Posts: 609
    I think if you turn off gore in your settings that doesn't happen.
    Also keep in mind greenstone helps vs hold and selling it and buying it back for 50 charges is very cheap.
    edited November 2017

I think if you turn off gore in your settings that doesn't happen.
    Also keep in mind greenstone helps vs hold and selling it and buying it back for 50 charges is very cheap.

Damn I'm still mixing rounds and turns after all this time. Thought it only lasted a round. With a turn it's very useful.

Oh well, hopefully nobody misses Dushai.

• HarpagornisHarpagornis Member Posts: 1,658
    edited November 2017
    Dushai always gets his very personal funeral outside of the village. My personal record is about 150+ tries to charm him with Algernons Cloak. Bad boy! :D

Looks like you have fun @histamiini - keep going! ;)
    Ok hit the xp cap, but my BWS EET install apparently removed it. Anyone know solution to fix it?
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    You could manually adjusted your xp with EEKeeper. When you get to level 9, don't level up, just go in EEKeeper to set your xp at the level 8 cap.

Or try to reinstall the cap over your install. It might be finicky, though. TweakAnthology has a component for that, if I remember correctly.
    Thanks, will probably EEKeeper it as I don't want to take any risks, and it isn't that many times you have to do it.
    edited November 2017
    Having good progress.

Chapter 2

After aquiring most of the good stuff and farming Ankhegs to lv7 I thought it's time to get the main guest rolling. Went to Nashkel mines and tried Graywolf, nope. Then went into the mine, nothing really hard there, got Mulahey with first try.

Chapter 3

Nimbul was too weak for me, a guard and Rashaad. Tranzig got cornered between bed and table, the poor bastard. Then time to go to Bandit camp. Surprise attack from Lamalha, probably the hardest fight yet and had to really kite them. Didn't have any charges left One Gift Lost so had to kite and strike them, one strike at the time, which worked pretty well because THAC0 was being respectable. Sold items and charged OGL and back to Bandit camp. And oh boy when you see first time better calls. Ran, ran and ran. But then I noticed when doing a big circle around the forrest, the whole mass was being centered. So I just kited and OGL'd them, and exactly 24th strike and all were dead. Got them first try. Then cleared rest of the camp.

Chapter 4

For Cavalier being immune for poison and with Ring Of Free Action Cloakwood was pretty trivial. Then at the mine I was really being smacked down with the four guys in the courtyard. Managed to disperse them, first depleted Kysus with Shield and Greenstone amulet, and Magic Blocking, then got Genthorn with melee. Then how the hell was I going to deal Drasus with Boots of Speed and hitting like a truck? Potion of Absorbtion and Blunt Girdle. The second mage got scared and dissappeared all together. Before going in the mine I checked Kirian for his Slashing belt. OGL'd them all without them even seeing me. Then recharged OGL once again. It's really good for kiting, or close range with 110 FR, if you don't mind recharging it with 6k a pop. In the mine managed to disperse Hareishan and couple guards, managed to kill them. Natasha decided to go hiding when I killed her guards, so she could take me one on one. Well she didn't.

Then the main fight after killing some Battle Horror's. I was killed multiple times fighting the guards, but then figured you can't fight them when they are going to keep coming. Tried to OGL Daevorn but he took like 3 damage so nope. Then ran past him to the lowest room, got him in there and started smacking. Guards came and surrounded us, after him depleting all his arsenal on me, and the poor guards, I killed one guard to get to him, and then just meleed him away. Luckily all the guards got scared after that. Shield and Greenstone amulets are really good friends against mages.

Now I understand why LoB is a sorry excuse for hard difficulty. Squirrels having 100HP, every mage with more HP than bhaalspawn mage will ever have like factor 3. Dat immersion. Next I'm thinking going pretty straight line to the end, then after starting SoD heading to Durlag's Tower to get some stuff.

Now I understand why LoB is a sorry excuse for hard difficulty. Squirrels having 100HP, every mage with more HP than bhaalspawn mage will ever have like factor 3. Dat immersion. Next I'm thinking going pretty straight line to the end, then after starting SoD heading to Durlag's Tower to get some stuff.

Yeah, especially if you compare it with SCS, which is strangely enough a much older fanmade mod for the SAME game.
    I don't get why you would come up with something like LoB years after the games prime, where you obviously are doing fanservice and have an engine that allows for so much more than just stupidly increasing enemy levels, HP, apr (even breaking stuff like Drizzt and Warden, because why would you check your own game for creatures with max apr and test if your new difficulty breaks those), Thac0, saving throws and AC.

I think the worst parts are really levels and hp, with APR being quite questionable too.
    The problem here is they gave the same basis of increasing these stats to every single creature, instead of putting in the extra work and checking if some specific creatures would make more sense with different tweaks.
    Enemies like Hobgoblins, kobolds etc. should not have leveled above the sleepcap.
    Non hostiles like bats or was it rats :P in the sarevok fight should not have insane hp so they don't die immediately to fireballs and keep messing up your autopause and aggro summons when you wanna stay out of sight (same goes for the squirrels mentioned by you :P)
    Enemies like skeletons should not be overleveled so you can't turn them even in SoD.
    And the apr increase should have been a lot more specific to non mob enemies because of crits right now most classes just can't afford to fight low level mobs, especially if they don't have a helmet.

Anyways enough raging and nice progress @histamiini
    Grond0 said:

The LoB mode is essentially copied from the Heart of Fury mode in Icewind Dale, so could be ported into Baldur's Gate relatively easily. The way the difficulty slider works in SoD is far more complex and would have required a lot more work to put into the original BG games (and I imagine a lot of people would have objected to such significant changes to the games anyway).

Well it is based on it, but I played IWD recently and had the feeling HoF is far less extreme.
    On the other hand it's kinda hard to tell, since you get much higher level in IWD and the enemies in the starting areas are pretty simple, kiting is your friend and there is not a lot of ranged/magic enemies until you get higher level than SoD cap and pretty powerful with certain classes.
    (Mages are relatively weak due to lack of scrolls, but Sorcs are monsters.)
    edited November 2017
    Good work @histamiini - hope you will roll into SoD soon! ;)

Agreed @Victor_Creed_SFV: Once you reach higher levels in IWD even HoF loses its threat to some degree. My Monk melted enemies with Quivering Palm for a long time (instakilling even Yxunomei) and as a lot of enemies only use normal weapons he is nearly immortal. :D

Maybe i should rejoin the challenge in the next weeks as D:OS2 gets a bit boring. Maybe i should warm up with an ultra-solid class and revive good old Bavaborass, the Dwarven Fighter/Cleric. Maybe. In the meantime: Have fun! ;)
    Haha, yeah @Harpagornis I had a lot of fun with Monk and also Totemics spirit animals in IWD, because of the normal weapons of many enemies.
    Still Sorcerer is even stronger because of Mislead and Black Blade, because of some silly items in IWD you can get 6 apr with BBoD. :D
    Any kind of invis is super op because there are not many enemies who can see thru it.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    edited November 2017

Well it is based on it, but I played IWD recently and had the feeling HoF is far less extreme.
    On the other hand it's kinda hard to tell, since you get much higher level in IWD and the enemies in the starting areas are pretty simple, kiting is your friend and there is not a lot of ranged/magic enemies until you get higher level than SoD cap and pretty powerful with certain classes.

The adjustments to enemies are the same. What's different and makes HoF feel so much easier is that by default you get vastly more experience for those enemies in IWD - and therefore you shoot up very rapidly in levels. That means that after kiting a few groups of goblins you can produce a virtually invulnerable party (boosted by great summons and regeneration from your bard).
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited November 2017
    Grond0 said:

The adjustments to enemies are the same. What's different and makes HoF feel so much easier is that by default you get vastly more experience for those enemies in IWD - and therefore you shoot up very rapidly in levels. That means that after kiting a few groups of goblins you can produce a virtually invulnerable party (boosted by great summons and regeneration from your bard).
    This is completely correct. And there's an option to make more experience possible in BG as well.

Change 0 to 1 in the following line, and then LoB in BG will be precisely as HoF in IWD.

SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Nightmare Bonus XP','0')

It was decided, though, for LoB to leave the XP bonus at 0, as high XP breaks the game, even on LoB. You can find old posts by @Gotural where he (back when the XP bonus was ON) finished the Irenicus dungeon with HLAs already available.
    Hm, the monster xp help quite a bit, but the real difference is the xp cap.
    It's not that hard hitting the cap in BG1/SoD and even in IWD you get massive quest xp.
    I once for fun went to the DLC before the main game and you can almost get level 20 on a monk without fighting a single enemy.
    edited November 2017
    @Harpagornis

Btw I read your Cavalier experience with the trolls in SoD. Did you try to use everything? Like Violet/Power Potions, Modron Heart, Trollblood Ioun Stone, Dervish Cresent and Belt of the Skillful Blade? With those and ** in Scimitars and *** with Two Weapon style I can have -7/-6 THAC0 and 26-34 damage per attack vs. trolls and also a chance to Fireshield (red). I wonder if that will be enough.
    Post edited by histamiini on
    @histamiini: Killing Pride is no big deal. Buff up and kite him to death. Its just a matter of patience. The good thing: You only need to kill Love to get the wardstone - the rest is optional.

Trolls in SoD? I usually skip them as there are so many other ways to soak XP that you will hit the cap quite fast anyway.

Good luck! ;)

Trolls in SoD? I usually skip them as there are so many other ways to soak XP that you will hit the cap quite fast anyway.

Good luck! ;)

I meant the coalition battle where the trolls overwhelmed you?

edited November 2017
    Hah - okay! Fully buffed and with anti slashing equip - and with Durlags Goblet - you can tank them "quite a bit". Get some tanky support troops to slow them down even more. The main danger will be the Haste from the Ogre Mage which will turn everone into killing machines. Survive this or - much better - charm the Mage and you should be fine. And never ever let them slip through your line. Otherwise you are doomed. On the other hand: The Trolls will be your "smallest" problem as a Cavalier. But: With good preperation and some luck - why not? I am very curious what will happen. ;)
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I'm reasonably certain that trolls use piercing weapons even in the most recent update (in vanilla they always used piercing attacks). So Elves' Bane will be the ideal belt, not the Girdle of Glory.
    edited November 2017

I'm reasonably certain that trolls use piercing weapons even in the most recent update (in vanilla they always used piercing attacks). So Elves' Bane will be the ideal belt, not the Girdle of Glory.

True. I just tested couple Troll mobs for the coalition battle. Btw does normal AC help against them?

Even the 20 or so trolls in the Troll cave couldn't brake me with DG.

edited November 2017
    The Trolls are not the only problem as there are several other enemies that deal slashing damage. With Haste they will kill your support troops very (!) quickly so they will either focus you pretty hard and/or will run past you and trigger your doom. My Cavalier with around -17 AC was not able to tank them even with Durlags Goblet but - as my own fault - i lacked support of the Dwarves or the Undead. :D
    edited November 2017

The Trolls are not the only problem as there are several other enemies that deal slashing damage. With Haste they will kill your support troops very (!) quickly so they will either focus you pretty hard and/or will run past you and trigger your doom. My Cavalier with around -17 AC was not able to tank them even with Durlags Goblet but - as my own fault - i lacked support of the Dwarves or the Undead. :D

Oh ok can't wait to see the ridiculous amount of enemies like rest of the SoD. I have the help of Dwarves though. This is where Fireshield (red) could make its play also.

edited November 2017
    Nice job @histamiini. You really killed the Shadow Aspect? What? I tried it dozens of times but at some point it always disappeared forever before i could kill it. You also meleed Morentherene? Wow! I always kited him like a chicken. Looks like we had a completly different way playing the Cavalier. While i was kiting most enemies to death with the Throwing Axe you just stand there and hack them away. Funny. Too bad that the choke point tactic wont work at Coalition Camp. But i am sure you have a plan. We will see! ;)

BtW: What the hell is OGL? :D