Skip to content

2.4 ever? At all? Maybe?

Soooooo, 2.3 came out a while ago...

Not to be annoying or anthing, but...

2.4 maybe? At some point? This year? Next year? This decade?
Any ETA? Anything at all?

Anything...? At all?

No?

OK, cool. Good talk, Beamdog.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Soon (tm)
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    2.4 won't really be soon, merely "Soon™".

The way Beamdog works is that a major release (2.0 in this case) is followed fairly quickly by some fixes to get it working better (2.1-2.3), and then it has to go on the back burner for a while, because they need to focus on some new-revenue development to avoid going bust. Eventually, maybe a year or so after the major release, they'll get to a point where some of the team can take a break from the new development and return to fixing the remaining issues with the current product.

Now that's a cycle which can produce some frustration for users facing an issue which is still waiting to be fixed ... but heck, guys, we don't want them to go bust and never be able to return to fixing problems, now do we? If you're a small business (i.e. small teams and limited resources), and if you're working with a front-loaded revenue stream (i.e. we buy the game, rather than pay-as-you-go like an MMO), then it's quite difficult to structure any other business cycle which doesn't lead to failure, so it's not only Beamdog who do it this way - it's pretty standard for small software houses.

Thus the earliest we can realistically hope for 2.4 is mid-2017, and it might not even be until late-2017.
    Luckily this is the most stable these games have EVER been.
  • klatuklatu Member Posts: 108
    Yeah, I get all that. I get how it might be tough on a small business to push this kind of franchise and all that jazz. But come on, now! Throw us a bone! It's been forever since the last patch, and that mere fact is still comically advertised as being news on these very forums!

I don't expect BD to just churn out updates willy-nilly, but PUH-LEAASE give us SOME NEWS, DAMNIT! I don't care what about. Just communicate, already!
    My issue is that it feels like NO updates are coming. In the back of my head, I realize that to be false, but that's what it feels like nontheless.

Just give us something, BD! What are you working on? Is there a patch in the works? If so, what will it address? What's the ETA? Will the GUI be updated?

These aren't difficult questions to answer. This is gonna take you 5 mins a day. Just do it (and people like me won't ignore your forums for months at a time)!
    edited December 2016
    The devs twitter account is probably the best place for the newest, urm, news.

Check around the thread, there is information on here.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    klatu said:

Throw us a bone! It's been forever since the last patch, and that mere fact is still comically advertised as being news on these very forums!

Well, it was news when it was announced, and it's still top of the "news" pile because they haven't yet got anything else to announce. The alternative would be leaving the "news" slot blank, which would cause even more complaints.
    klatu said:

I don't expect BD to just churn out updates willy-nilly, but PUH-LEAASE give us SOME NEWS, DAMNIT! I don't care what about. Just communicate, already!

They do communicate. For example, there are threads on this forum where Beamdog staff collect the tweets from their management, which sometimes do actually contain news.
    klatu said:

What are you working on?

A new project which isn't yet ready to be revealed - and yes, they've said this.
    klatu said:

Is there a patch in the works?

In the sense that they've made it clear that there will be one in due course, yes. In the sense that they're continuing to do some preliminary work (collecting bug reports, helping people in the Troubleshooting threads with workarounds until fixes can be issued, etc.), yes. In the sense that they're already intensively working on the next patch right now ... no, it looks like they're not ... yet.
    klatu said:

If so, what will it address?

That hasn't even been decided (and they've said that), let alone announced. However, you can see some of what it'll include by looking at the redmine status reports.
    klatu said:

What's the ETA?

See previous answer above. Not announced, but we can hope for mid-2017.
    klatu said:

Will the GUI be updated?

There seems to be a lot of activity, including some of the dev team, in the sub-forum specifically dedicated to the UI ... so the answer is probably yes.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    You can follow the thread "All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project" which is updated once in a while to keep you informed.

Apart from that we have no choice but to be patient. As already posted, Beamdog is currently focused on other projects and will return working on patch v2.4 (or whatever it'll be called then) when they are ready.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited December 2016
    Hey, @klatu, there's no lack of communication inspite of what you say. Actually, the devs are constantly communicating, giving as many explanations and insights as possible.

Please, check https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/61876/bg-sod-bgii-v-2-4-what-will-it-add-change and https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/61521/2-0-update-eta and https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/59736/v2-3-is-here-bg-ee-bgii-ee-and-siege-of-dragonspear - they adress exactly things you mention, such as possible time needed and expected improvements.