Skip to content

The long-awaited SoD review by GameBanshee

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
Late is better than never, I guess. Maybe I should think about giving a detailed review for SoD as well...

Anyway, GameBanshee has finally published their review for SoD.

"A funny thing happened on my way to reviewing Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear. When I picked the game up, I realized that I hadn't played either of the original Baldur's Gate games in about 15 years. Since Siege of Dragonspear is supposed to be the bridge between the two, I decided that I'd play Baldur's Gate first so I could get reacquainted with the franchise. But then I was talking to our site admin, and he mentioned that our Baldur's Gate subsite was one of our oldest, and that it could use some updating.

No problem, I thought. I can update the subsite as I play the game. But I have a mental problem, so to speak. My brain translates "update" into "re-write," and so what should have been a simple(ish) procedure took months. As a result, when I was finally ready to play Siege of Dragonspear, I was so far past the release date that I figured I might as well write our walkthrough for it at the same time, which is more efficient for me, but which added even more months to the delay of the review.

And so here we are eight months later. The good news is that while I was working my way towards Siege of Dragonspear, a lot of its problems got fixed, and all of the dialogue that offended everybody got removed, and so what I'm reviewing here could be considered the final product rather than the initial release that everybody else looked at. The bad news, of course, is that people have probably already made up their mind about the game. But let's ignore the bad news. It's Christmastime after all, a time of hope and renewal."

"I didn't love Siege of Dragonspear, but I didn't hate it, either. I played through the campaign twice, once with a good party and once with an evil party, and I enjoyed it well enough both times. It took me well over 60 hours to complete the two playthroughs, and that's not bad for a $20 price tag. So if you liked the Infinity Engine games and you want to try something new, then Siege of Dragonspear is a worthwhile purchase. Just try to keep your expectations tempered, as Beamdog isn't quite in the same class as old BioWare."

Comments

• AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,026
    The Gamebanshee equipment lists are updated from BGEE through SoD. This is an unexpected holiday gift for character planning.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    It's a fair review and probably better for being late after all the controversy has died down.

What I especially agree with is the dissappointment of it being a "road trip" which has always struck me as being unecessary because of the way BG2 was set up. Irenicus was/is an outlier, an anomoly that took place against the main thrust of the saga.
    The story never had to get there, so all the heavy handed foreshadowing and invented reasons for it happening ring false.

IMO, the best parts of SOD are those that have nothing to do wth BG2.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I absolutely agree with the reviewer about the main story having nothing to do with BG2,
    I think the connection was a bit subtle for some people, but you have the excuse of not reaching the end, and so it wouldn't be apparent, but the Caelar's story is intended to parallel the story of the protagonist in BGII, asking the player to revaluate the morality of a "good" playthrough.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Oh dear.

I've just read the full review too, and it seems to me that the reviewer hadn't played as thoroughly as one would have hoped. Of course that's a very common problem when reviewers are rushing to get a quick review out for a new release, but I'd have hoped that a later review like this would have been more insightful.

The reviewer makes some criticisms (such as "You never learn much more about Caelar, or about the Dragonspear Wars, or about the crusade" and "Unique, named items are few and far between") which are simply nonsense. He must have missed a great many dialogues and unique items, proving shallow exploration.

He also seems to have failed to understand correctly the mechanisms by which characters (and their equipment) are transferred from the BG1ee campaign, and also the way they're levelled after you recruit them - i.e. yes they do level up to (approximately) your protagonist's level (contrary to what he says), but they don't do so instantly (as he appears to have expected), and yes they can keep the equipment they had (contrary to his assertion that it's random). If he had played more thoroughly, he'd have understood that the SoD mechanism actually works much better than he's given it credit for.

On the other hand, some of the reviewer's criticisms are quite fair (such as the surprisingly short list of continued companions from original BG1, which we all know has disappointed many players, and that there is some feeble hand-waving at the very end to complete the explanation of the opening scenario of BG2 - although at least we had a partial explanation incorporated into the plot).

So I'll give the reviewer credit for intending to produce a serious review, but he wasn't fully successful. Beamdog actually made a better job of SoD than the reviewer realised, albeit not perfect.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    saying it has nothing to do with bg2 is not really correct. besides out friend the hooded man and plot points forshadowing things for tob. it has charname starting to come to terms with what he/she is. at the start of bg2 they just seem to accept it very quickly imo and there is no real transition from the reveal at the end of bg1 to there. sod fixed that. now people talk about it like the real deal it is as apposed to causally like in 2.
    it's a vision of the slayer not the actual slayer.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited December 2016
    @UnderstandMouseMagic What if the taint of Bhaal, that has become stronger after the death of a half-brother (Sarevok), feels such a threat to charname as Irenicus? This is why it pictures this threat in the dreams.

At least, this guess is as good as an opposite guess that Irenicus shouldn't be in SoD dreams.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    edited December 2016
    I more or less took from it that Irenicus was preparing or grooming the PC throughout SoD to make sure you're a good candidate for his experiments. The slayer model appearing is supposed to represent Bhaal's blood/influence/essence - but it's all blurry and messed up, because in SoD it's still too weak to be focused like it is in BG2 when it just starts popping out on its own.

Having replayed SoD ~3 times (I gave up on one character because I just wasn't enjoying it) another problem of reviewing RPGs from a "technical" standpoint becomes apparent, because we judge the older games with almost complete knowledge of their content (it's still possible to find new stuff of course), whereas, since SoD is new, it's entirely possible to discover new stuff all the time; so, we're typically only working with a small fraction of the actual content. I've played through as a mostly evil, a super-goody, and a mixed bag, and found some pretty neat things can occur along the way lol. Reviewing RPGs is a lot more like reviewing a book where certain sections of the book have been removed and hidden somewhere and it takes several read-throughs to get a good idea of what all is actually supposed to be there.
    the dreams in baldurs gate 2 were never meant to be Irenicus but bhaal's taint taking his form. the same could hold true for sod. except the last one which seems to be a mix of reality and dreams.
  • the_sexteinthe_sextein Member Posts: 711
    edited December 2016
    SOD has a better story and character building than TOTSC. It also has more technical character progression and artwork that is more in line with BG2. It sets the stage for BG2 in game so that the start of BG2 doesn't seem like such a huh? moment.

I agree that character options are limited and that the crusade isn't integrated into BG1 or 2 but that is fine with me. I think it's a great game and will play it every time I play through the series. Gameplay is challenging, music is great, art is great and the story is competent enough to push you through. It has a lot more to offer than BG1's other expansion pack which also released for $20 when it came out and I continue to play it every time I make a run through the series as well. I like SOD about as much as I like TOB but for different reasons.
    why does the crusade even need to be mentioned in bg1?the iron crisis was the main issue and from what the intro said the crusade did not even begin until after you defeated seravok.

SOD has a better story and character building than TOTSC. It also has more technical character progression and artwork that is more in line with BG2. It sets the stage for BG2 in game so that the start of BG2 doesn't seem like such a huh? moment.

I agree that character options are limited and that the crusade isn't integrated into BG1 or 2 but that is fine with me. I think it's a great game and will play it every time I play through the series. Gameplay is challenging, music is great, art is great and the story is competent enough to push you through. It has a lot more to offer than BG1's other expansion pack which also released for $20 when it came out and I continue to play it every time I make a run through the series as well. I like SOD about as much as I like TOB but for different reasons.

TOTSC has Durlag's Tower.

I would have paid double, and still would, just for that one dungeon.
    Nothing in SOD comes close.

Where it almost takes off (again for me, this is all just opinion) is when you meet the blind priestess of Bhaal.
    But instead of following that atmospheric link with your heritage, it simply serves to get back to the crusade.
    And the crusade is incoherent and failed to convince me as a player that any of it mattered.

it's a vision of the slayer not the actual slayer.

Why have it at all when all it serves to do is undermine the reveal/shock of it happening in BG2?

The writers are making the assumption that anyone who is playing SoD will have already played BG2. It seems a pretty reasonable assumption to me.

edited December 2016

Speak for yourself. I would describe Durlag's Tower as a clichéd linear dungeon crawl, with an entirely uninteractive story.

NB: I don't know how many people know this, but an awful lot of what in in Durlag's Tower was in the PnP module Ghost Tower of Inverness.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    The reviewer understates some of the things Beamdog accomplished with SoD, but one point I do agree with is that there's too little interactivity when it comes to Caelar's crusade. Caelar makes a reasonable case near the beginning of the game for why her crusade makes sense, yet the PC's responses are artificially restricted to be either "I will destroy you" or "you sound well-intentioned but it won't work." It would have been much better to let the PC pledge allegiance to her (without being able to physically reach her due to the bridge explosion) and then re-evaluate that allegiance over the course of the game as troubling facts about her crusade become known.
    Fardragon said:

Speak for yourself. I would describe Durlag's Tower as a clichéd linear dungeon crawl, with an entirely uninteractive story.

NB: I don't know how many people know this, but an awful lot of what in in Durlag's Tower was in the PnP module Ghost Tower of Inverness.

Not sure how I could make it clearer that indeed I am speaking for myself than including in brackets "again for me, this is all just opinion"?
  • qwerty123456qwerty123456 Member Posts: 67
    When I picked the game up, I realized that I hadn't played either of the original Baldur's Gate games in about 15 years.
    This is where any fan of the series can stop reading.
    But for casual gamers, I'd say the review is good enough.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Fardragon said:

I don't know how many people know this, but an awful lot of what in in Durlag's Tower was in the PnP module Ghost Tower of Inverness.

No, I didn't know that. Interesting, thanks.

Inverness, though? That's a real place - it's the traditional capital of the Highlands region of Scotland. I've been there numerous times, and can report that it doesn't appear to contain any Tower much resembling Durlag's. That's probably a good thing for the RL inhabitants!
    edited December 2016
    I don't know why the module was called "Inverness". I'm familar with both, and there is no connection that I could decern. I guess the author just thought it was a cool name.

It's not so much the similarity of the towers, as the chess game, and the rooms full of element-themed monsters, that connects the two towers.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited December 2016

I enjoyed Durlags storyline, but I'm not so fond of the story after you finish with the dungeon and the cult just show up randomly AND manage to snatch the dagger from you just like that. Then you go into the nearby basement and defeat the demon... The end..

That part really lacks player agency, when I felt it was needed *shrug*

I do think Caelar trying to assault avernus with only a small part of crusade soldiers left was a little illogical though. I'm pretty sure realistically they shouldn't even have been able to reach Belhifet, without being slaughtered.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited December 2016
    @batoor

Perhaps Belhifet wanted her to reach him...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Spoiler tags, people, spoiler tags.
  • BeowulfBeowulf Member Posts: 236
    i agree with the reviewer although he soft pedals the huge controversy that surrounded the game and then came out in hardly subtle gameplay and quests...

With the Marxist culture war with downtrodden plebs in the city and currupt war monger generals and nobility- it could have been written by Lennin with the, " Who cares about the bridge breaking and destroying your filthy capitalist land hold Tsar crop." which is more or less what the character says. Even the antihero Argent is complied by circumstances to work towards an ends justifies the means solutions. The player is manipulated to feel mercy and agreement with her just like a communist hero of the people dealt a short stick tries to pesent. Theybtry to sell the currupt game trying to warp minds into collectivist Marxist thought and for that I dislike it, even if as I hope the poor writers find some Absolutes in thier wasteland world views.

I do not see the point of wasting time and making false climaxs with dead end story points of characters you love but can not have... the impudence and outrage of berefting the character from the greatest genius and most terrible future ruler is unforgivable. they could have saved those dead end plot points and added another character or dungeon. Going around the city was more boring as the intro trap point of Bg2.

It would be cooler if they just put an extra merchant from the flaming fist in who sold your lost gearof Siege then the way it is said to be dealt with in BG2
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    edited December 2016
    and all of the dialogue that offended everybody got removed

Offended everybody? That's a good joke!
    Wait, the author was serious? Ok, nevermind.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @O_Bruce , I think the "everybody" used here is a figure of speech. I don't know if your native language is English, but "everybody" is often used as hyperbole for "a whole lot of people." He didn't mean anything other than that.
This discussion has been closed.