Skip to content

Favorite Joinable Ranger in the BG Series?

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2012
    Oh my gosh Kivan is still winning. YESSSS
    Senash said:

Imoen. Why does everyone pick her up? Good stats.
    Edwin. Why does everyone pick him up? Good abilities.
    Viconia. Why does everyone pick her up? Good stats.
    Minsc. Why does everyone pick him up? He's "funny."
    Imoen is my little sis, who needs my protection,I cant just leave him. She's also my best childhood friend.
    Edwin is hilarious! As I said in the mage poll, one of the funniest characters to have around. Love him!
    Viconia is an evil damsel in distress, not by nature, but more like because of her upbringing, and because of being shunned by society and being discriminated. But still she tries to have a normal life. You gotta respect her. (Ok, she's also hot......)
    And Minsc... Boo. Butt kicking. Righteousness. You always need something crazy. And Minsc is that crazy in the series. But I admit, kivan is badass too.Senash I like the first three very very much as well I just dislike seeing so many people unwilling to ever try other characters. So what I said is only a pot-shot at those unwilling to branch out, not those who love said characters but also love others.

Kivan gets my vote. I generally take him along to listen to him and Viconia bickering. I always get the feeling they are either going to start fighting or making out but they never quite get round to doing either.

PFFFhahaha, I always viewed them that way too I'm not going to lie I have a dirty mind. Plus it would be hot.
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643

Kivan gets my vote. I generally take him along to listen to him and Viconia bickering. I always get the feeling they are either going to start fighting or making out but they never quite get round to doing either.

You know if it was up to me, they'd start making out.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    Generally speaking, I consider Kivan to be one of the more detestable characters in BG1... I just don't like his behavior. I am boss and I decide stuff. You don't like my stuff, get outta here! (which usually means backstab to death... oh cruel casualties XD )
    Awong124 said:

Somebody needs to ship it.

/trollololol
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    The bald destroyer destroys alllllll! But kicking for GOODNESS!

Plus he comes with Boo.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    edited November 2012
    @Quartz Well, I honestly have to admit that I prefer playing with characters, whom I can join forces with in BG2, so I can play the whole saga with the same party. I do love well written characters of course! I liked Kivan, Xan, Kagain, Xzar and Montaron, but I never payed more than 1 playthrough with them (some I only took along for a couple of quests, since it always irritated me, that I wont be able to get them in my BG2 party (sadly, I played BG2 before BG...). But I agree with you! I myself don't really like it if people choose NPCs based on how strong they, I like to pick the ones who fit with my character. Tell you what, with EE, I'm planning to try out every single NPC in the the game, cause I do feel that I must have missed a lot, never playing with Eldoth and Skie, with Coran, Faldorn, Branwen, Quayle, Tiax and Ajantis.

And apart from this, I still do like Minsc better, sorry :)
    Awong124 said:

NEVER! Sweet Viconia shall always be mine! And I as an elf sorcerer I will be a much better companion for her then that bickering ranger.
    Quartz said:

Awong124 said:

/trollololol
    Somebody should make a mod for it.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Senash said:

@Quartz Well, I honestly have to admit that I prefer playing with characters, whom I can join forces with in BG2, so I can play the whole saga with the same party. I do love well written characters of course! I liked Kivan, Xan, Kagain, Xzar and Montaron, but I never payed more than 1 playthrough with them (some I only took along for a couple of quests, since it always irritated me, that I wont be able to get them in my BG2 party (sadly, I played BG2 before BG...). But I agree with you! I myself don't really like it if people choose NPCs based on how strong they, I like to pick the ones who fit with my character. Tell you what, with EE, I'm planning to try out every single NPC in the the game, cause I do feel that I must have missed a lot, never playing with Eldoth and Skie, with Coran, Faldorn, Branwen, Quayle, Tiax and Ajantis.

And apart from this, I still do like Minsc better, sorry :)

Awong124 said:

NEVER! Sweet Viconia shall always be mine! And I as an elf sorcerer I will be a much better companion for her then that bickering ranger.
    Viconia doesn't date elves
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
    Kivan is im my eyes more of what a classic ranger should be. Thats why he gets my vote :) I just like the idea of a ranger being more of an archer/woodsman like Kivan.
    Awong124 said:

Quartz said:

Awong124 said:

/trollololol
    I'm not going to lie: I would play it.
    I'd feel very guilty and dirty, but still enjoy it.
    edited November 2012
    Quartz said:

Awong124 said:

Quartz said:

Awong124 said:

/trollololol
    I'm not going to lie: I would play it.
    I'd feel very guilty and dirty, but still enjoy it.
    The scenario would probably end up being something like this, skip to 40s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=k1qixsOUgAI#t=40s
  • The_Guilty_PartyThe_Guilty_Party Member Posts: 44
    I had to look up who Kivan was again. People liked that stereotype-with-good-stats? Really? I yawned so hard when I met him I think I dislocated my jaw.
    edited November 2012

I had to look up who Kivan was again. People liked that stereotype-with-good-stats? Really? I yawned so hard when I met him I think I dislocated my jaw.

If you had voted for Valygar, I'd be fine with what you said ... but Minsc is a walking stereotype too, so...

I mean think about it. Every franchise has the "lovable idiot." Minsc is yet another lovable idiot. Nothing wrong with that, but he is just as much a cliché as Kivan.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Kivan and valygar are emo. Minsc is silly
  • recklessheartrecklessheart Member Posts: 692
    Valygar was unfairly neglected in terms of character writing. He seems a very interesting fellow from what was written of him. He also could have made a lovely romance option, I feel!

Minsc is entertaining, but tedious after one of two attempts.

Kivan can kill everything. But aside from that, he's of absolutely no interest to me. He doesn't have any personality at all, really.
    ajwz said:

Kivan and valygar are emo. Minsc is silly

/thread
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited November 2012
    Valygar may be neglected, poorly written, or anything else, but all I ever understood was that I needed his body to enter the planar sphere, and my group was always full. So instead my blade was sank into his neck, and then his lifeless limp torso carried to the entrance of the planar sphere where it dissolves into nothingness and grants me access to my future stronghold.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I usually make Minsc a 'full plate and packing steel' character. I think lot of BG gamers do. Kivan fits the true ranger roll much more naturally, him being the perfect character to give him the Archer kit, thus making studded leather the best he can wear and him being a scout a viable option with him still dealing damage the way he does best. Minsc's best way of dealing damage is a two-handed sword in BG1 or either a two-hander or dual-wielding melee weapons in BG2, thus he is given plate and can't scout.

Though I'd like to be put wrong: anyone keeping Minsc in leather and have him scout?
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

Though I'd like to be put wrong: anyone keeping Minsc in leather and have him scout?

Honestly if this were to be in character I don't see it going any differently than:

Hush Boo! Look over there! Butts that must be kicked! For Goodness! Let us find our glorious leader and tell him!

All shouted at the top of his lungs, of course.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Yea minsc is about as much of a ranger than his hamster is as much of a dragon.
  • chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
    I love and appreciate Minsc. But I would always take Kivan if I could. It isn't because of the stats what so ever. It is because I love his story. I often wonder what my pc would see in the npcs he recruits and let me tell you, an unstable behemoth of a man with a massive sword and a space hamster (while hilarious) is not what most of my characters would find stable. Especially when you need to rely on your friends to stay alive.

Kivan? Now that is a guy I would trust to watch my back.
  • chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208

Valygar was unfairly neglected in terms of character writing. He seems a very interesting fellow from what was written of him. He also could have made a lovely romance option, I feel!

Minsc is entertaining, but tedious after one of two attempts.

Kivan can kill everything. But aside from that, he's of absolutely no interest to me. He doesn't have any personality at all, really.

Very good points here. I suppose I have a special place for Kivan in my heart more so than Valygar due to him being one of the first npcs I recruited. But you are correct, I would trust Valygar just as much as Kivan and Valygar has an even more interesting back story in many ways.
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    I choose the banjo.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

I don't keep him in leather in his inventory when i use him for scouting. Find something that needs butkicking, retreat a bit, swap out and unleash furry vengeance with Boo.

He does say "None shall see me, though my battlecry may give me away" when he is stealthed.
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    Kivan kicks ass.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806

Kivan kicks ass.

Enemies often find themselves shot in the ass.
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    I often used Minsc's animal charm to get past bears and such. So his animal affinity makes sense as ranger. (And his simple whistling is amusing) I also would have two sets of armor for him, before more invisibility was available. Then when the party attacked, Minsc would jump out and hack down a few mages. Or, just use him for a tank.
    Kivan I picked up a few times, but I don't remember him being as versatile as Minsc. And, he lacks Boo.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

I often used Minsc's animal charm to get past bears and such. So his animal affinity makes sense as ranger. (And his simple whistling is amusing) I also would have two sets of armor for him, before more invisibility was available. Then when the party attacked, Minsc would jump out and hack down a few mages. Or, just use him for a tank.
    Kivan I picked up a few times, but I don't remember him being as versatile as Minsc. And, he lacks Boo.

Yes, the lack of Boo is a problem here

edited November 2012

Kivan I picked up a few times, but I don't remember him being as versatile as Minsc.

I'm pretty sure statistically 17 Dex, 18/12 Strength, 14 Con is more versatile than Minsc's 18/93 Strength, 15 Dex, 15 Con. Minsc is a melee machine, but loves to get hit. Kivan is a ranged beast, but can also hold his own in melee, and doesn't get hit all the time.

I just ain't buyin' it dude, sorry. I've played with both enough to know.
  • FishFish Member Posts: 38

Minsc rocks. Kivan's a good supporter for killing, but, as a character, boh-ring!

Right on! BG without Minsc and Boo just seems wrong. Sometimes the best character doesn't have the best stats. @Xaenor, Minsc is killer with melee weapons and Kivan's bow becomes less worth while later in the game.