Skip to content

How to not get bogged down in stuff management?

The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    One way of learning what you really, really need is to do a solo run.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    thespace said:

Who has a playstyle or strategy that you use to sidestep getting bogged down in stuff management?

I'd love to hear it if anyone has ideas.

I go out of my way to use items with charges and potions, the stuff that usually sits in my inventory waiting to be used.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    You may also want to consider simply adding reasonable amounts of gold via the console/EEKeeper after your various expeditions, roughly correlating to what you would get if you sold every last piece of junk there is. I find carrying bags full of random plate armors one of the least interesting parts of the game, so I just did away with it.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    I use the Tweaks component that adds extra bags to the game, and I've finally come to get a feel for what I actually need, so after a certain point (when I'm admittedly richer than Croesus) I stop picking up treasure (except for very special pieces). I'm finally learning to liberally use potions and wands, though this has taken me a long time. And, unless I'm using Kivan, I completely minimize the amount of arrows/bolts I collect. For instance, I've learned that with an average character I'll only need 160 bolts of lightning and 160 bolts of biting to get through the game, which in total is only 4 stacks.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I pretty much always cheat in containers nowadays. Since most of my playthroughs are just trying out new chars, the item management part is not really what I am after. Also, in maybe half of the playthroughs I add a hefty amount of gold so that I never have to pick up items I won't need just to sell. I leave Varscona on the ground etc.

I'm a natural packrat so I have to force myself to not pick everything up. The above helps me fight the urges.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I leave stuff I think I may need later in the chest right by the entrance of the Friendly Arms Inn. It's a convenient location close to most places of interest. The only time it's really annoying to go back there is Cloakwood.
    SPLINT MAIL!? They're worth what, 20 GP?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,025
    This problem vexes me to no end as well! I have never met a gem, potion, magic item, winter wolf skin, ankheg shell, two-handed sword, crossbow of any type, bow of any type, or armor of plate mail or higher that does not end up snagged, inventoried, and then sold. I just cannot shake the apparently OCD feeling of leaving even semi-valuable goods behind. I am it seems a victim of my char-name's early life of poverty, forever fated to count every gold piece!

I have added the containers mod mentioned above and this of course helps with arrows, gems, potions, and other items (placed in the bag of holding of course).

The other thing I do is try and keep my inventory slots as clear as I can except for containers and maybe one extra weapon. This usually means I only have 4-5 slots maximum filled at any one time. Everything else is stored away in an appropriate container or left in my storage locker container at some inn. Think of this like clearing your e-mail inbox and striving to keep it clean as you go through your work day/play the game.

Of course this also means regular merchant visits to off-load equipment. I usually go topside in Durlag's to sell gear right after clearing out the top levels and then taking out the 4 sentries. I can then gather everything else before leaving for good.

Lastly, I am with the expendable-using crowd as well. You don't need the gold, so use those potions and wands, if for no other reason it clears inventory!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I only buy unique items from stores. While they are expensive, I make more than enough by only picking up items that can go in containers or magical weapons. It really helps cut down clutter. I also rely on scavenging for ammunition.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Skatan said:

28 GP. It's worth it.
  • SunderSunder Member Posts: 56
    One of the reasons I sometimes add a bag of holding & ammo belt to any of the series games and always have gem bag, scroll cases, & potion cases as soon as possible. Depends on my mood, but as I have now played and beat Baldur's Gate a few times, and not quite ready to invest figuring out SCS or a no reload type game.....I am mainly playing for fun(sometimes above normal mode, sometimes not) and trying out different party sizes and NPC combos. I just do not enjoy the hassle of limit inventory management in most scenarios.

Plus it does not help that I have some weird thing where I must keep at least one of everything. At least I must as far as miscellaneous items like human skulls, the tainted ore (or whatever it is called) in the mines, the weakening potions in the same mines, at least 1 of each type of jewelry or gem, every bounty, quest item, note, ect, ect that I find. Feldpost Inn would be far better off just reopening as a storage facility that charges by the month by the time I reach Baldur's gate if I don't have the containers. I get that they may eliminate some of the challenge by having them. However, what ever challenge I am missing is far more acceptable than the irritation of limit inventory.

I do not, however, use them to abuse weight limits- like I don't stuff 20 Anhkeg shells in the Bag of holding, or pick up every suit of mail I come across, or anything like that. Its just a convenience thing that does little to break immersion for me in the current game styles I usually play.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I think you can alter the container maximum amounts with EE keeper, if you set their stack to 65535 then those containers should be able to hold that many items ( that is the highest stack number that the BG games can handle, if you go over that amount it will start back at 1)
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    Regardless of party size and composition I invariably end up with enough items to open my own store. I forget 3/4 of them even exist but still feel the need to loot more. If I play solo, because I don't like cheating in bags of holding I claim a container somewhere (Beregost or Athkatla) and put my stuff inside until I have them legitimately.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,025
    If I am playing a dwarf - which is my go-to race - I often justify item hoarding and gold hoarding because of dwarven gold lust/greed. If I am playing a thiefly character and worship someone like Vergadain - known for being a merchant, for sly negotiations, wealth and also the deity of neutral dwarven thieves- this ties in great together for character motivations.

My item hoarding, itemizing, auditing, inventorying and steady wealth hoarding now becomes role-play!
    CrevsDaak said:

Skatan said:

28 GP. It's worth it.
    Yeah, with my average rep, I seldom get that much ;)
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Skatan said:

CrevsDaak said:

Skatan said:

28 GP. It's worth it.
    Yeah, with my average rep, I seldom get that much ;)
    Its not about rep, its about how many they already have in stock.
  • Jirayia2Jirayia2 Member Posts: 18
    Yea I like to discover maps fully, it's a mini game to beat the darkness. Luv it.
    Well, bag of holding helps a lot later on.
    New game I always loot and sell to NPC, to get 1,000 gold, then later find another NPC offering weapons for 70-80k t_t But later it's okay.
    Play a minimalist Monk?
    Monks are the best, because only humans might be monks.