Hi, I am no expert of Baldur’s gate, neither a beginner, intermediate I would say. Anyway, what’s more important I could describe myself as a power gamer. This time however I want to try something unique for me. I want to actually role-play! Unfortunately, I am unable to do it 100% properly so I came out with a set of rules to balance things (Actually maybe you will be able to help me to tweak some of them). The plan is to go Baldur’s Gate: EE with few mods then continue to BG2:EE and TOB.
I believe that the most noticeable would be small quest packs, unfinished business, NPC project. No tactical modes except Rogue Rebalancing and components like “More realistic wolves and wild dogs”, etc. In the Big World installation, I didn’t install any yellow ticks though, didn’t install any additional items or bag containers to the enhanced edition. That’s all about my installation for now.
Maybe worth to mention: I installed a mod that allows humans to multiclass and non-humans to dual class.
1. No reload! Over the years, I finished both games few times however I think it will be very challenging for me but I believe I have a pretty good understanding of the game. So, maybe I will be able to pull it off.
2. Core rules.
3. I am not going to bother with rolling my stats, I’m just going to give myself 100 out of 108 possible in shadowkeeper. Which is 18/01 – 19 – 17 – 18 – 10 – 18. Yes, wisdom is going to be the only weakness of my character. This is the part which I am just unable to role-play.
4. Grinding XP is not allowed. My usual cheesy tactic to go kill 1 siren for 5000xp and go to kill basilisks early on solo is also forbidden.
5. Via console I will give myself some experience after each dream. 1-2.000, 2-4.000, 3-8.000, 4-16.000, 5-32.000, 6-64.000. Yes, it may be cheating for some but I don’t care, it is me who supposed to have fun and going to kill stuff like basilisks seems silly to me so I came out with resolution where I can get similar effect and justify the outcome.
6. I always felt strange when I came to Khalid and Jaheira on lvl1 and they talk about themselves like they are experienced adventures and Jaheira regards herself as my character guardian. I am going to give them both 8.000 XP as I meet them making Khalid lvl4 fighter and Jeheira 3/3 fighter/druid.
7. For killing Sarevok I will add myself additional 250.000 XP for nicer start of BG2
8. Level cap removed.
9. HP per level randomized NVN style (upper half of the rolls, if the roll is d10 the possible hp for a particular level is 6-10)
Above rules are basically for myself really. So, won’t go beyond them and that could be the case if I just thought about them but I decided I can share them with the World as well. ;p
I will try to best of my ability role-play an evil-neutral character. I will not do, ignore, and ruin many quests because I really want to RP it as I would it in PnP. That’s also why I came out with rule
5 as I will cut out rewards for many quests probably.
If I die I am determined to try few times unless I die very late in the game (like during the battle with Sarevok). That would be the end.
All right about my character.
I’m going to play neutral-evil female elf kensai named Alice.
I should play mage/fighter but I really want to try Kensai/Mage
I began the game before as Kensai so I know how the class plays but I never finished that game.
My primary goal is to shape her character somehow during my playthrough but her main desires are going to be money and power. She’s going to disregard people in search for those things. At the beginning, I plan to be somewhat obedient to NPC’s like Jaheira and Khalid but later to develop her unique for her character and to abandon or betray NPCs that will be against her.
I’m going to start my playthrough tomorrow and I hope to use this thread to ask some questions in the future and to share my possible deaths.