Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit www.planescape.com to purchase and check for details. Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition Official Soundtrack is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Beamdog Client

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 12,613
We're announcing the new Client to the whole world now! Thanks to all players who have already tried the new Client and offered valuable feedback.

http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/03/introducing-brand-new-beamdog-client.html

Feel free to continue discussing the Client here. As always, all bugs and feature requests preferably should be reported at http://support.baldursgate.com/projects/beamdog-client-public-bugs.
typo_tillylolien

Comments

• alboyalboy Member Posts: 41
    edited March 22
    Why does the new Beamdog Client not support Windows 64 BIT
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 12,613
    @alboy It does support Win 64-bit.

We do distribute it as Windows 32-bit, though, but 32-bit apps work on 64-bit operating systems.
    lolien
  • SpotSpot Member Posts: 9
    What do I do when I don't want to dload and install the beamdog client, and just want the BGEE installer?
    ConjurerDragon
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 7,780
    edited March 23
    Are the previous versions of the client supposed to remain in appdata or is it a glitch?

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 12,613
    Spot said:

What do I do when I don't want to dload and install the beamdog client, and just want the BGEE installer?

According to our blog entry, "all of our legacy launchers and clients will continue to be available here."

So you click at "here" and arrive at https://www.beamdog.com/about/client_legacy, where you can download launchers.
    mlnevese said:

Are the previous versions of the client supposed to remain in appdata or is it a glitch?

It's intentional that the previous version (only one) that you have downloaded remains in the AppData folder. 
    mlnevese
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,134
    How can I uninstall the client entirely? I don't find an uninstaller.
    @rede9 Go to your control panel, add/remove programs. The Beamdog Client will be there.
    JuliusBorisov
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,134
    edited April 13
    I did it but the link on desktop remained whose path (C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\beamdogClient) is still available. Are there other junk files?
    No, there isn't anything else - and that AppData\Local\beamdogClient folder does indeed stick around but it's just a couple files not the whole app.

We might improve the uninstalling process in the future.
    Most programs leave traces and files in your system after uninstalling. That's why uninstaller software is so popular with those who like to keep their systems clean.
    ThacoBellAnduin
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member Posts: 1,683
    Not sure if this is the right spot for the question but it can't hurt to ask. So I downloaded the new client (not sure if I needed to but I downloaded the games back in August I think). As I already have the newest versions of the games from BEAMDOG, how will this work when fixes or updates arrive (and will I be notified of them) and need to be added to my existing game (including the effect on installed mods?

Also, I think the little gear ICON in the corner was mentioned to me as able to reinstall a clean copy of a game(if mods go haywire or don't uninstall properly. Just verifying this as I am FINALLY seeing it.
    @Zaghoul Have you read the FAQ about Beamdog Client? https://www.beamdog.com/about/client_faq

If you have questions after checking the FAQ, feel free to post here.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member Posts: 1,683
    Thanks, I THINK that has got it covered. I'll give it a shot.
    JuliusBorisovmlnevese
  • SarthosSarthos Member Posts: 31
    Does the client install as an actual app on Macs? I have opened the DMG file and run the client and it all works, but when I close it there's no way to open it again without re-installing from the DMG. There's nothing in the Applications folder to click on or add to my dock.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 2,836
    edited April 18
    @Sarthos - Drag the client from the disk image to the Applications folder link. That will copy it to your Applications folder.
    JuliusBorisovSarthos
    @Sarthos The Client works like a normal Mac application in that when you run the DMG you should get a window which has the Beamdog Client icon and an icon for your Applications folder. To install the Client to your Applications folder, drag the client icon over to the folder icon. This will move the Client into your Applications, allowing you to run it from there and have it in the dock.
  • SarthosSarthos Member Posts: 31
    @AstroBryGuy = Thanks. I did try that earler, but it didn't work for some reason. Seems to work now.

JuliusBorisov
  • anhourglassmageanhourglassmage Member Posts: 4
    Hey there!

I've installed the Beamdog Client on my Mac, and while attempting to set game location paths to my Steam Library (I purchased and installed all the games through Steam), I've noticed that the explorer window that launches is unable to navigate to hidden folders. Normally, I wouldn't care- but all the Steam applications are stored in /Users/User/Library(hidden)/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/. As such, I am unable to point the Beamdog Client to the existing game client locations.

Is there a way around this for the time being, or are there plans to fix this in a future build?

Best Wishes!
    JuliusBorisov
  • AlexeiPepersAlexeiPepers Member, Developer Posts: 19
    You're correct that hidden folders aren't shown in the folder selection dialog, and we'll note that as a possible thing to change for future releases. However, for this particular case, we wouldn't recommend pointing the Beamdog Client at the same folder that Steam is using. The Beamdog Client and Steam use different folder naming conventions and so even if you did select the Steam game folder, the Client wouldn't be able to use it. There is also potential for issues where Steam and the Beamdog Client are both trying to manage the same folder.

We recommend you stick to one type of client, though we appreciate you wanting to use the Beamdog Client! If you want to switch over without re-downloading your game you can copy the files within the Steam game folder to the install location you choose through the Beamdog Client.
    anhourglassmagelolienJuliusBorisov
  • anhourglassmageanhourglassmage Member Posts: 4
    That makes sense. I mostly wanted to do it in order to have the Beamdog Client recognize that I already have the game folders. Your solution is sound, although it doesn't seem very user friendly though for less experienced gamers attempting to make the switch. Perhaps there could be a feature in the future to relocate/migrate or copy game folders from within the Beamdog Client- one that follows the proper naming conventions- might have to brainstorm this one a little.

I digress, thanks for the work-around, I will try this post-haste :smile:

Best Wishes!
    JuliusBorisovAlexeiPepers