Skip to content

Beamdog Client

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
We're announcing the new Client to the whole world now! Thanks to all players who have already tried the new Client and offered valuable feedback.

http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/03/introducing-brand-new-beamdog-client.html

Feel free to continue discussing the Client here. As always, all bugs and feature requests preferably should be reported at http://support.baldursgate.com/projects/beamdog-client-public-bugs.
[Deleted User]lolien

Comments

• alboyalboy Member Posts: 59
    edited March 2017
    Why does the new Beamdog Client not support Windows 64 BIT
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @alboy It does support Win 64-bit.

We do distribute it as Windows 32-bit, though, but 32-bit apps work on 64-bit operating systems.
    lolien
  • SpotSpot Member Posts: 12
    What do I do when I don't want to dload and install the beamdog client, and just want the BGEE installer?
    ConjurerDragon
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited March 2017
    Are the previous versions of the client supposed to remain in appdata or is it a glitch?

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Spot said:

What do I do when I don't want to dload and install the beamdog client, and just want the BGEE installer?

According to our blog entry, "all of our legacy launchers and clients will continue to be available here."

So you click at "here" and arrive at https://www.beamdog.com/about/client_legacy, where you can download launchers.
    mlnevese said:

Are the previous versions of the client supposed to remain in appdata or is it a glitch?

It's intentional that the previous version (only one) that you have downloaded remains in the AppData folder. 
    mlnevese
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    How can I uninstall the client entirely? I don't find an uninstaller.
    @rede9 Go to your control panel, add/remove programs. The Beamdog Client will be there.
    JuliusBorisov
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    edited April 2017
    I did it but the link on desktop remained whose path (C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\beamdogClient) is still available. Are there other junk files?
    No, there isn't anything else - and that AppData\Local\beamdogClient folder does indeed stick around but it's just a couple files not the whole app.

We might improve the uninstalling process in the future.
    Most programs leave traces and files in your system after uninstalling. That's why uninstaller software is so popular with those who like to keep their systems clean.
    ThacoBellAnduin
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Not sure if this is the right spot for the question but it can't hurt to ask. So I downloaded the new client (not sure if I needed to but I downloaded the games back in August I think). As I already have the newest versions of the games from BEAMDOG, how will this work when fixes or updates arrive (and will I be notified of them) and need to be added to my existing game (including the effect on installed mods?

Also, I think the little gear ICON in the corner was mentioned to me as able to reinstall a clean copy of a game(if mods go haywire or don't uninstall properly. Just verifying this as I am FINALLY seeing it.
    @Zaghoul Have you read the FAQ about Beamdog Client? https://www.beamdog.com/about/client_faq

If you have questions after checking the FAQ, feel free to post here.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Thanks, I THINK that has got it covered. I'll give it a shot.
    JuliusBorisovmlnevese
  • SarthosSarthos Member Posts: 31
    Does the client install as an actual app on Macs? I have opened the DMG file and run the client and it all works, but when I close it there's no way to open it again without re-installing from the DMG. There's nothing in the Applications folder to click on or add to my dock.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited April 2017
    @Sarthos - Drag the client from the disk image to the Applications folder link. That will copy it to your Applications folder.
    JuliusBorisovSarthos
    @Sarthos The Client works like a normal Mac application in that when you run the DMG you should get a window which has the Beamdog Client icon and an icon for your Applications folder. To install the Client to your Applications folder, drag the client icon over to the folder icon. This will move the Client into your Applications, allowing you to run it from there and have it in the dock.
  • SarthosSarthos Member Posts: 31
    @AstroBryGuy = Thanks. I did try that earler, but it didn't work for some reason. Seems to work now.

JuliusBorisov
  • anhourglassmageanhourglassmage Member Posts: 4
    Hey there!

I've installed the Beamdog Client on my Mac, and while attempting to set game location paths to my Steam Library (I purchased and installed all the games through Steam), I've noticed that the explorer window that launches is unable to navigate to hidden folders. Normally, I wouldn't care- but all the Steam applications are stored in /Users/User/Library(hidden)/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/. As such, I am unable to point the Beamdog Client to the existing game client locations.

Is there a way around this for the time being, or are there plans to fix this in a future build?

Best Wishes!
    JuliusBorisov
  • AlexeiPepersAlexeiPepers Member Posts: 23
    You're correct that hidden folders aren't shown in the folder selection dialog, and we'll note that as a possible thing to change for future releases. However, for this particular case, we wouldn't recommend pointing the Beamdog Client at the same folder that Steam is using. The Beamdog Client and Steam use different folder naming conventions and so even if you did select the Steam game folder, the Client wouldn't be able to use it. There is also potential for issues where Steam and the Beamdog Client are both trying to manage the same folder.

We recommend you stick to one type of client, though we appreciate you wanting to use the Beamdog Client! If you want to switch over without re-downloading your game you can copy the files within the Steam game folder to the install location you choose through the Beamdog Client.
    anhourglassmagelolienJuliusBorisov
  • anhourglassmageanhourglassmage Member Posts: 4
    That makes sense. I mostly wanted to do it in order to have the Beamdog Client recognize that I already have the game folders. Your solution is sound, although it doesn't seem very user friendly though for less experienced gamers attempting to make the switch. Perhaps there could be a feature in the future to relocate/migrate or copy game folders from within the Beamdog Client- one that follows the proper naming conventions- might have to brainstorm this one a little.

I digress, thanks for the work-around, I will try this post-haste :smile:

Best Wishes!
    JuliusBorisovAlexeiPepers
  • kotekokoteko Member Posts: 179
    I own all EEs, but now it's the first time I've installed the Beamdog Client (to try NWN Head Start).

Well, it's beautiful and smooth! Good work to the developers and thanks for Linux support! (Good idea to use AppImages :))
    JuliusBorisovthryllkillRAM021
  • AncientGrendelAncientGrendel Member Posts: 11
    I posted this in the "Installing & Playing the "Head Start" version of NWN:EE" thread before I saw this thread:

Linux Mint 17.3 x86_64 KDE
    AMD/ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
    xserver-xorg-video-ati Version 1:7.3.0-1ubunto3.1 (Switching to the fglrx drivers is not an option. They break the entire installation.)

NWN:EE > ./beamdogClient-2.1.3-x86_64.AppImage /tmp/.mount_GlFTXw installed: X-AppImage-BuildId=81b9d8c0-626c-11a7-2cfb-11ea8d6540c3 image: X-AppImage-BuildId=81b9d8c0-626c-11a7-2cfb-11ea8d6540c3 A JavaScript error occurred in the main process Uncaught Exception: Error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_GlFTXw/usr/bin/bd/linux/libbeamdog.so) at Error (native) at process.module.(anonymous function) [as dlopen] (ELECTRON_ASAR.js:173:20) at Object.Module._extensions..node (module.js:583:18) at Object.module.(anonymous function) [as .node] (ELECTRON_ASAR.js:173:20) at Module.load (module.js:473:32) at tryModuleLoad (module.js:432:12) at Function.Module._load (module.js:424:3) at Module.require (module.js:483:17) at require (internal/module.js:20:19) at Object.<anonymous> (/tmp/.mount_GlFTXw/usr/bin/resources/app.asar/bd.js:53:18) at Module._compile (module.js:556:32) at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:565:10) at Module.load (module.js:473:32) at tryModuleLoad (module.js:432:12) at Function.Module._load (module.js:424:3) at Module.require (module.js:483:17)

I tried running it in a root terminal (I think I can trust you...):
    NWN:EE # ./beamdogClient-2.1.3-x86_64.AppImage /tmp/.mount_ic7CDN ** (zenity:8900): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.a11y.Bus was not provided by any .service files (zenity:8900): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/oxymentary/16x16/status/dialog-information.png' (zenity:8900): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/oxymentary/16x16/status/dialog-information.png' (zenity:8900): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/oxymentary/32x32/status/dialog-information.png' (zenity:8900): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/oxymentary/16x16/status/dialog-information.png' (zenity:8900): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading icon: Couldn't recognize the image file format for file '/usr/share/icons/oxymentary/32x32/status/dialog-information.png' /usr/local/share/applications/appimagekit-beamdogClient.desktop: warning: value "Beamdog Client" for key "Comment" in group "Desktop Entry" looks redundant with value "Beamdog Client" of key "Name" xdg-icon-resource: No writable system icon directory found. A JavaScript error occurred in the main process Uncaught Exception: Error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20' not found (required by /tmp/.mount_ic7CDN/usr/bin/bd/linux/libbeamdog.so) at Error (native) at process.module.(anonymous function) [as dlopen] (ELECTRON_ASAR.js:173:20) at Object.Module._extensions..node (module.js:583:18) at Object.module.(anonymous function) [as .node] (ELECTRON_ASAR.js:173:20) at Module.load (module.js:473:32) at tryModuleLoad (module.js:432:12) at Function.Module._load (module.js:424:3) at Module.require (module.js:483:17) at require (internal/module.js:20:19) at Object.<anonymous> (/tmp/.mount_ic7CDN/usr/bin/resources/app.asar/bd.js:53:18) at Module._compile (module.js:556:32) at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:565:10) at Module.load (module.js:473:32) at tryModuleLoad (module.js:432:12) at Function.Module._load (module.js:424:3) at Module.require (module.js:483:17)

In both cases I got the window asking if I wanted the icons installed and clicked [Yes]. The icon showed up in my applications menu but attempting to run it failed. I got a new tab on the taskbar but it eventually just quit without anything showing up.

So I thought this might be relevant:
    apt show libstdc++6:amd64 Package: libstdc++6 State: installed Automatically installed: no Multi-Arch: same Version: 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.3

Thanks for your assistance.

Edit:

Additionally, the Beamdog Client installation didn't actually exit. It just hung and I killed it with Ctrl+C in both attempts.
    @AncientGrendel There's no need to double-post on this forum. Usually NWN-related stuff should go to the NWN subforum, where you first posted it. I also should point you to support.baldursgate.com which is THE site for bug reports, including issues with the Client.
    As I said, I posted it there before I saw this thread. And the problem isn't really related to NWN:EE at all. I can't even get to NWN:EE. I can't even get the Beamdog Client to install.

So, to get support I have to sign up for another forum? Seriously? Then what are these forums for? Since the heading above the title for this section is, "Support," it seems a rather odd for you to complain that I have posted this in the wrong place. What is this for, if not support for the beamdog client?

Do you have any actual assistance to offer to a paying client who has gotten nothing for their money or is this just a place for pedantic, bureaucratic complaints about not following arbitrary procedures?

Yes, I am annoyed that the only response to this has been to say that I've posted in the wrong place and that I'm a bad person for not having seen this thread first or for not wanting to sign up on yet another forum to actually get help installing a program that should work on my machine/OS.

Maybe you could have, at least, taken the time to put in an actual link to where this problem should be sent. That may have made your response seem rather less picayune and bureaucratic. A bit more like you were actually trying to be helpful. On a forum section that is, at least nominally, about support. Call me crazy...

Now I'm wondering if I should be looking for a refund rather than technical support. As I tell my children, "Helping's only helping when it's helpful." I've already spent hours trying to find a solution to this problem. Yes, I am very annoyed about the idea that I have wasted my money on something that may not even work.
    @AncientGrendel I understand your frustration. But the very first moment you posted your report, the team became aware of it. They're still figuring out how to help you. Most likely, the actual reply will come tomorrow.

My post above was more about "what should go where", including any potential future issues you encounter.
    AncientGrendel
    edited December 2017
    Now that is helpful information. Thank you.

If they need any further information about my system I'm more than happy to co-operate. Should I just re-post this somewhere on support.baldursgate.com? Would that be more useful for them?

I saw another post, elsewhere, that I might need to install lib32z1 and, out of desperation, I tried it. Not surprisingly, it didn't help. The new client is 64bit, isn't it?

I thought this might be useful for them:
    apt search glibc p clisp-module-bindings-glibc - clisp module that adds the glibc bindings p clisp-module-bindings-glibc:i38 - clisp module that adds the glibc bindings p eglibc-source - Embedded GNU C Library: sources v eglibc-source:i386 - v glibc-2.19-1 - v glibc-2.19-1:i386 - v glibc-2.19-1-arm64-cross - v glibc-2.19-1-armel-cross - v glibc-2.19-1-armhf-cross - v glibc-2.19-1-powerpc-cross - v glibc-2.19-1-ppc64el-cross - p glibc-doc - Embedded GNU C Library: Documentation v glibc-doc:i386 - p glibc-doc-reference - GNU C Library: Documentation v glibc-pic - v glibc-pic:i386

But maybe this is more useful... (Uh, oh...)
    strings /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 | grep LIBCXX GLIBCXX_3.4 GLIBCXX_3.4.1 GLIBCXX_3.4.2 GLIBCXX_3.4.3 GLIBCXX_3.4.4 GLIBCXX_3.4.5 GLIBCXX_3.4.6 GLIBCXX_3.4.7 GLIBCXX_3.4.8 GLIBCXX_3.4.9 GLIBCXX_3.4.10 GLIBCXX_3.4.11 GLIBCXX_3.4.12 GLIBCXX_3.4.13 GLIBCXX_3.4.14 GLIBCXX_3.4.15 GLIBCXX_3.4.16 GLIBCXX_3.4.17 GLIBCXX_3.4.18 GLIBCXX_3.4.19 GLIBCXX_DEBUG_MESSAGE_LENGTH
    JuliusBorisov
  • ScottBrooksScottBrooks Member Posts: 687
    You're running Linux mint 17.3, which is based off of Ubuntu 14.04. Even though Mint 17.3 was released in 2016, it's still based off of an old version of ubuntu that was released in 2014, and only ships with GCC 4.8.

Linux is a wide and wonderful series of distributions, and differences, so we are not going to be able to support every version out there.

Upgrading to Mint 18 would solve your issue, and there is also an askubuntu thread here with some directions that might get you an updated version of glibcxx.
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/575505/glibcxx-3-4-20-not-found-how-to-fix-this-error
    JuliusBorisovmlneveseAncientGrendel
    Thanks, @ScottBrooks.

I saw that the version of glibc didn't seem to meet the requirements, but this seems strange since, as you noted, Mint 17.3 is based on Ubuntu 14.04. The Beamdog Client FAQ says that it should work with Ubuntu 12.04 or later, though:

Q: Can I use the Beamdog Client on Windows/Linux/macOS?
    Yes, the Beamdog Client can be used on desktops using these operating systems:

Linux: Build for Ubuntu 12.04, confirmed to work on Ubuntu 12.04 or later, Fedora 21, and Debian 8.

Or is that FAQ referring to the previous client?

I can't imagine that Ubuntu 12.04 has a newer glibc than Ubuntu 14.04. Unless the Mint team did something bizarre. Which I wouldn't put past them at all.

In any case, Mint 18.x is a nightmare. I put it on my wife's machine and it has been nothing but problems. As I see it I've got about a year to find a new distro before 17.3 goes EOL and isn't supported any more.

So... I got libstdc++.so.6 updated and we have this:

strings /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 | grep LIBCXX GLIBCXX_3.4 GLIBCXX_3.4.1 GLIBCXX_3.4.2 GLIBCXX_3.4.3 GLIBCXX_3.4.4 GLIBCXX_3.4.5 GLIBCXX_3.4.6 GLIBCXX_3.4.7 GLIBCXX_3.4.8 GLIBCXX_3.4.9 GLIBCXX_3.4.10 GLIBCXX_3.4.11 GLIBCXX_3.4.12 GLIBCXX_3.4.13 GLIBCXX_3.4.14 GLIBCXX_3.4.15 GLIBCXX_3.4.16 GLIBCXX_3.4.17 GLIBCXX_3.4.18 GLIBCXX_3.4.19 GLIBCXX_3.4.20 GLIBCXX_3.4.21 GLIBCXX_3.4.22 GLIBCXX_3.4.23 GLIBCXX_3.4.24 GLIBCXX_DEBUG_MESSAGE_LENGTH

Aaaaaannnd... THIS:

./beamdogClient-2.1.3-x86_64.AppImage /tmp/.mount_dXnZds installed: X-AppImage-BuildId=81b9d8c0-626c-11a7-2cfb-11ea8d6540c3 image: X-AppImage-BuildId=81b9d8c0-626c-11a7-2cfb-11ea8d6540c3 A JavaScript error occurred in the main process Uncaught Exception: Error: /tmp/.mount_dXnZds/usr/bin/bd/linux/libbeamdog.so: symbol _ZTVNSt7__cxx1115basic_stringbufIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEE, version GLIBCXX_3.4.21 not defined in file libstdc++.so.6 with link time reference at Error (native) at process.module.(anonymous function) [as dlopen] (ELECTRON_ASAR.js:173:20) at Object.Module._extensions..node (module.js:583:18) at Object.module.(anonymous function) [as .node] (ELECTRON_ASAR.js:173:20) at Module.load (module.js:473:32) at tryModuleLoad (module.js:432:12) at Function.Module._load (module.js:424:3) at Module.require (module.js:483:17) at require (internal/module.js:20:19) at Object.<anonymous> (/tmp/.mount_dXnZds/usr/bin/resources/app.asar/bd.js:53:18) at Module._compile (module.js:556:32) at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:565:10) at Module.load (module.js:473:32) at tryModuleLoad (module.js:432:12) at Function.Module._load (module.js:424:3) at Module.require (module.js:483:17)

So... I guess I can't install NWN:EE with the old Beamdog Client? Assuming I could get that to install and/or run?
  • ScottBrooksScottBrooks Member Posts: 687
    This is the first beamdog client to run on Linux, so there is no older one to use on Linux.

We are sorry about the minimum specs. They were copied over from some of the game details but as you have seen, we should update them to be more current.

We can offer you a refund if you would like.

Sorry about these problems.
    JuliusBorisov
    Well, I can confirm that it will run on Mint 18 as I tried it on my wife's machine last night and it appeared to perform properly for the time I was running it.

I also attempted to run the earlier Beamdog Client under wine which, as I suspect you already know, failed.

Should I assume that the system specs on Steam are also incorrect?

SteamOS + Linux

Minimum:
    Processor: Dual Core Processor
    Memory: 1 GB RAM
    Graphics: OpenGL 3.0 compatible
    Storage: 10 GB available space

Or should I request a Steam key?

I can't say that I'm terribly impressed by the lack of a full-screen mode in the Linux client.

I am also very disappointed that it is only operable through the Beamdog Client. Isn't it supposed to be DRM-Free? I would hardly call dependence upon a successful login to the Beamdog Client to be DRM-Free. How is anyone to know that, like the original NWN, it will continue to operate for years after Beamdog has abandoned it? And, as games have a lifecycle, at some point it will not be profitable to keep supporting it and it will be abandoned. What are the plans for this event? How long does Beamdog intend to support the game?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I certainly have not forgotten what happened when GameSpy got shut off for NWN. But the users were at least able to create workaround solutions. That doesn't seem very likely for NWN:EE.

So you have no suggestions for correcting the problem? Surely I cannot be the only person running Mint 17.3/Ubuntu 14.04?

It is also very disappointing that the client doesn't support a long term support release that will be supported until April of 2019 on what is (arguably) one of, if not the, most popular of Linux distros. (I don't know the most recent numbers but I do recall reading a while ago that Mint had passed Ubuntu in downloads.) Did it really not occur to anyone that supporting the LTS releases might be important? While I have the option and knowledge to create a dual-boot machine or run Mint 18 in a virtual machine I am sure there are any number of people who do not have this option.