Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Book/TV/Movie tropes you just can't stand anymore

2456721

Comments

  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited March 2017
    JoenSo said:

    When there's a battle and army A has missile weapons and army B is well within range but A has to "waaaaiiiiit for it....!" for far too long before using those weapons. I know it makes sense sometimes, but then there's stuff like the battle of Helm's deep...

    "The enemy is standing still, sir. They are closely packed, just a couple of meters away and are sitting ducks down there. Should we pelt them with everything we have while we have the chance?"
    "Yes. But not quite yet, mind you!"

    It's actually how it would have been done irl. If you're fighting an army it's not very useful just picking off a few guys off the front, and wasting ammo with some shots falling short. For maximum impact you need to wait until hits are certain for even your weaker archers, and can penatrate into the second, third, forth rank.

    mlneveseNotabarbiegirlRaduziel
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Fardragon said:


    It's actually how it would have been done irl. If you're fighting an army it's not very useful just picking off a few guys off the front, and wasting ammo with some shots falling short. For maximum impact you need to wait until hits are certain for even your weaker archers, and can penatrate into the second, third, forth rank.

    That's why I said that it makes sense sometimes. But not in the case of Helm's deep and similar where they already are that close and soon will be scaling the walls.

    mlneveseCrevsDaakSkatan
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    JoenSo said:

    Fardragon said:


    It's actually how it would have been done irl. If you're fighting an army it's not very useful just picking off a few guys off the front, and wasting ammo with some shots falling short. For maximum impact you need to wait until hits are certain for even your weaker archers, and can penatrate into the second, third, forth rank.

    That's why I said that it makes sense sometimes. But not in the case of Helm's deep and similar where they already are that close and soon will be scaling the walls.
    They aren't that close at Helms deep. A lucky shot that hits a guy on the front row doen't have the shock and awe value of a full volley.

    mlnevese
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Well, they are still close enough that the archers are aiming down.

    mlneveseCrevsDaakSkatanDreadKhan
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 785
    I mean, Helm's deep is kind of an anomaly for this in that they basically ran out of ammunition DESPITE waiting for the close range shots. Legolas makes some comment in the books during the Legolas/Gimli kill count that he's scrounging the area for arrows, since his quiver's empty. Makes much more sense to use those arrows on the orcs actually scaling the ladders than the masses below: relieve the pressure on your melee defenders.

    The Antihero, on the other hand, is a trope I've always disliked and will continue to dislike. Movies that attempt to get you to like those characters just because they just so happen to be fighting a worse evil... Ugh. Doesn't change the fact that they're massive douches. Looking at you, Guardians of the Galaxy.

    tmasobooinyoureyes
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,203

    Or good people are wearing white and blue, while evil ones wear black and red. At all times.
    Is it so hard for people to change their clothes every day? Just imagine the smell behind the screen! Yuck!

    Now I'm in doubt... the spider-man ball I gave to the little Martian is mostly red and blue with some black spots... does it mean it's neutral? :)

    CrevsDaaklolienbooinyoureyes
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,876
    mlnevese said:

    Or good people are wearing white and blue, while evil ones wear black and red. At all times.
    Is it so hard for people to change their clothes every day? Just imagine the smell behind the screen! Yuck!

    Now I'm in doubt... the spider-man ball I gave to the little Martian is mostly red and blue with some black spots... does it mean it's neutral? :)
    Wasn't Spiderman evil to begin with? Buildering and roofing is considered a crime after all. :p

    mlneveseCrevsDaaklolien
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,203
    @OlvynChuru You actually reminded me of another one of mine.

    Lock the tritanium doors! Eject the dilithium chamber!

    I understand that a story set in the future has to invent materials that will provide tremendous energy or be incredibly resistant... Just do not make them something you can mine. All you have to say is that it's an alloy, don't even bother to tell me what it's made of. Isaac Asimov did this right with durasteel, an alloy he never bothered to say what was composed of. Star Trek is tremendously guilty of this with some rare exceptions, such as neutronium, that actually exists but I don't believe is stable outside the tremendous gravity of a neutron star.

    CrevsDaaklolien
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    "Unobtanium" is based on rl science. There is a hypothetical "island of stability" predicted, alowing for stable elements much heavier than uranium. Given the difficulty in creating such an element in the first place, scientists joking called it unobtanium. Cameron picked this up and used it in his movie.

    CrevsDaaksemiticgoddessThacoBellBalrog99
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736

    Of course, females who are together with another woman doesn't count.

    Well, that would be the Yuri Power.
    JoenSo said:


    Another one that I find a bit confusing is when people say that they can't relate to animated movies because it's obviously fake. I once read a review of the Israeli film Waltz with Bashir. The reviewer said he felt nothing throughout the whole film since it was just a bunch of lines and colors. Not real people. And that's a really disturbing and horrifying movie, believe me. I don't quite get it.

    I get the same feeling about "space" TV shows, all I can see is actors in weird make-up reciting silly script. Watched the 1st season of Farscape in high school, and when later tried to watch the rest I instead got completely blown off by unsuspendable disbelief :(

    mlneveseJoenSoCrevsDaak
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 268
    Almost every single Modern Anime Cliche & Trope has overtaken every single plot in anime to hide the fact their stories suck.

    Anime of today is basically ruined,

    ArdanisCrevsDaakNotabarbiegirlVallmyr
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,181
    @Kaliesto You just aren't watching the right ones ;)

    CrevsDaaksemiticgoddessNonnahswriter
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    The problem is that for each right one we get a dozen of trash ones.
    And the worst part is that even somewhat interestingly themed shows half the time get ruined by tropes towards the ending (Kabaneri was good until it hit midway; Izetta had disastrous directing and script right from the start, but at least it *tried*, only to fail just as miserably in the end... to give just a couple recent examples).
    Waiting a whole year to get a single decent show is just not cool :(

    CrevsDaak
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Kaliesto said:

    Almost every single Modern Anime Cliche & Trope has overtaken every single plot in anime to hide the fact their stories suck.

    Anime of today is basically ruined,

    You can't ruin something that has always sucked.

    semiticgoddess
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,181
    Fardragon said:

    Kaliesto said:

    Almost every single Modern Anime Cliche & Trope has overtaken every single plot in anime to hide the fact their stories suck.

    Anime of today is basically ruined,

    You can't ruin something that has always sucked.
    Much like a closed mind ;)

    CrevsDaakJoenSoSkatanDreadKhan
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 677
    edited March 2017
    Fardragon said:

    Kaliesto said:

    Almost every single Modern Anime Cliche & Trope has overtaken every single plot in anime to hide the fact their stories suck.

    Anime of today is basically ruined,

    You can't ruin something that has always sucked.
    There's usually something for everyone, at least with manga. I haven't watched that much anime for years now, but that's mostly because I think a lot of adapted storylines get stunted/rushed with a 26 episode format. Some good mangas don't get an anime at all either.

    ThacoBellCrevsDaak
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,769
    Anime is just like most things. 95% is crap, but there's some real gems in there. Talking about unrealistic spaceships in sci-fi, the anime Planetes is probably the most realistic space show I've ever seen.

    CrevsDaak[Deleted User]
Sign In or Register to comment.