Skip to content

Book/TV/Movie tropes you just can't stand anymore

Comments

• KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
    edited March 2017
    ThacoBell said:

@Kaliesto You just aren't watching the right ones ;)

People tell me that, but the most popular anime tends to be the most trash (few exceptions). I never liked how in Naruto they just have to announce their stupid five point ninja technique, and how it works. Why the **** do you want to tell your enemy how something works!? I've seen this crap in other anime too, and just boggles my mind there is a lack of common sense.

Also I get tired of how the female characters torture the hell out of the male characters, and to me that novelty wore off a long time ago, and just isn't funny. I also hate how the male character acts like he is oblivious & dumb which is crap I see in today's JRPGs sometimes (looking at Tales of Graces)...

It's like the Anime & Game industry decided that being stupid sells..."oh god my head hurts"

There is a reason why I like stuff like Xenogears, Cowboy Bebop, and such because they don't overboard with dumb stuff (but oh there is the critics that can never be satisfied that need their ego stroked, I wish someone threw rocks at their heads). Oh boy..and I've seen so much dumb stuff in Fairy Tail, that anime might as well be called ecchi that tries to tell a story, I think that anime had potential if it didn't do that nonsense on a almost daily basis.

Now is all modern anime bad? No, there is some I've seen that is pretty good. I forgot the name of this anime comedy right now, but there is one that involves a pink haired psychic, and the humor in that anime is just brilliant since it actually makes fun of every single stupid trope that other anime did, it pleased me greatly to see those tropes get torn apart. lol

I'm also a fan of One Punch Man, the idea behind it is pretty funny, and it still manages to tell a good story.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

Indeed...

... it's the stuff of nightmares.
    He's just trying to fatten you up.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited March 2017
    Flat chest jokes are also annoying.

Although, sometimes there're rare exceptions :D
    Kantai Collection. For those unaware, Zuikaku is an aircraft carrier.

• AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    ThacoBell said:

Clowns actually do terrify me. Its a legitimate phobia. (As legitimate as phobias get anyway). Oddly enough, Jesters and Harlequins don't.

Sure it is, with its own long phobia name and everything. That's why I said "few", not "none".

To make the same point, some people are scared of the number 13. It too is a legitimate phobia. But it is not common, and treating the number 13 as intrinsically scary is silly.

Clowns were historically a form of entertainment used for both children and adults, but especially children (including hiring them for birthdays and such). Obviously this would not have worked if most children were scared of clowns, as pop culture and the internet would have you believe.

Bringing up IT is a good example, too, since the clown in that wouldn't have been a clown if clowns were considered scary or off-putting to most people. That was the point (and probably John Wayne Gacy too). It was a clown to attract children.

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Kaliesto Hahahah yeah, popular anime is "interesting". Genres and styles are as varied as any other media. Look for the kind of stories that interest you in general, I'm sure you'll start finding gems.

@Kamigoroshi No, just no.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938

Indeed...

... it's the stuff of nightmares.
    The food scares me more!

@themazingness McD's food, yep. The Morgan Spurlock test with eating only McD's food was great.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Ardanis said:

Wasn't there a clown scare going on recently in US and Europe.

@ardanis yep, right here in NC & SC. I was waiting this past Halloween for one of these 'clowns' to get shot trying to spook the wrong person, or the wrongs person's kids.
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
    edited March 2017
    I also live in NC, and the clowns I've heard & read about was one of the strangest things I've ever seen, I was thinking this was the year of the clowns for political & literal situations. lol

(Also there is a idea for a Baldur's Gate Mod gag...scary clowns!)
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited March 2017
    Ayiekie said:

ThacoBell said:

Clowns actually do terrify me. Its a legitimate phobia. (As legitimate as phobias get anyway). Oddly enough, Jesters and Harlequins don't.

Sure it is, with its own long phobia name and everything. That's why I said "few", not "none".

To make the same point, some people are scared of the number 13. It too is a legitimate phobia. But it is not common, and treating the number 13 as intrinsically scary is silly.

Clowns were historically a form of entertainment used for both children and adults, but especially children (including hiring them for birthdays and such). Obviously this would not have worked if most children were scared of clowns, as pop culture and the internet would have you believe.

Bringing up IT is a good example, too, since the clown in that wouldn't have been a clown if clowns were considered scary or off-putting to most people. That was the point (and probably John Wayne Gacy too). It was a clown to attract children.

Fear of clowns is a common phobia. I know several people who are afraid of clowns (and for comparison, no one who is afraid of snakes or spiders). I wouldn't say I'm afraid of clowns, but I certainly don't like them very much.

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    How about that clown in the original Poltergeist movie? Now that scared the crap out of me when I was a kid!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Fardragon I hope that clown will not cause any heart attacks... or attack you with a knife in the middle of the night...
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Well, Pennywise in a trailer for new "It" movie looks pretty terrifying... ;)
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Ayiekie said:

Zombies. But not just zombies, also the fact that every zombie story takes place in an alternate reality where noone has ever heard of a zombie story.

You might like Mira Grant's Newsflesh trilogy. They're set 25 years after the zombie apocalypse. From Howard Tayler's review:

The best part? The usual rules apply. The zombie apocalypse that showed up was the one we expected. All the zombie movies you and I watched ended up saving our lives. George Romero became a saint. That totally won me over. I'm bored by zombie stories in which nobody knows what's going on. I saw the first episode of "Walking Dead" and was disappointed*. If you want me to love your zombie fiction, please acknowledge the last 20 years of pop culture.

Feed by Mira Grant

It's in my to-be-read pile, so I can't vouch for it personally, but I trust Howard, he hasn't steered me wrong yet.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited March 2017
    @BillyYank You just made me buy three books... I should send you the bill :tongue:
  • XeroshiXeroshi Member Posts: 182
    Being inside/near extremely hot environments. Examples include walking away from an explosion casually and Frodo and Sam standing inside an environment without burning up or dying from poisonous fumes
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited March 2017
    You wouldn't think people were tired of zombies though, especially with the sky high ratings the walking dead gets and it even has its own talk show and tv spin-off-.-

I don't really watch the show though, so I don't know if it's good or bad.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870

Spacewalking without spacesuit

There are many sci-fi films where someone is holding their breath in outer space. And while having full exposure rating, to make sure all kinds of radioactive rays are evenly bathed in. Some titles take that even a couple of steps further by making the vacuum breathable like its common sense.

Spacewalking without spacesuit

There are many sci-fi films where someone is holding their breath in outer space. And while having full exposure rating, to make sure all kinds of radioactive rays are evenly bathed in. Some titles take that even a couple of steps further by making the vacuum breathable like its common sense.
    I give this a pass if its for less than 90 seconds, minus the breathable part. Technically survivable some of the time.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    batoor said:

You wouldn't think people were tired of zombies though, especially with the sky high ratings the walking dead gets and it even has its own talk show and tv spin-off-.-

I don't really watch the show though, so I don't know if it's good or bad.

Oh, they're popular. But for some of us (this guy), the zombie apocalypse happened when they took over pop culture.

I don't mind zombies sometimes. I enjoyed Pride and Prejudice and Zombies for example. I am fine with them in my RPGs. But it gets old fast when people can't shut up about them.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Kurona said:

Perseverance wins the girl in the end

The staple of pretty much every Hollywood romantic comedy. Hugh Grant will be rebuffed several times but will not give up and eventually the 45th flower bouquet, 12th diner to a chic French restaurant and the grand airport chase will erode her resistance. Guys if you try things like this in real life you'll end up between two cops. Also it's creepy.

The gender-inverted trope exists too but is more common in Japanese media ("Oh if I cook and clean and do his laundry he'll HAVE to love me someday!") Ugh.
    More like pathetic imo. If anything is creepy, it's the fact people can get arrested for having feelings towards someone, this is just dystopian.

Now, *this*
    would be a more proper anime analogy, I think :)

Have you noticed how many games there are where there's a "silence" status effect which prevents characters from casting spells, even though nobody actually says incantations while casting the spells? The only games I can think of where people say things while casting spells are DnD games.

True, although do other D&D games do it besides the Infinity Engine games?

I think this might be a symptom caused by lack of spoken audio in early games, roleplayers not speaking them in their campaigns, and developers not finding a way to avoid it sounding cheesy.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075

Have you noticed how many games there are where there's a "silence" status effect which prevents characters from casting spells, even though nobody actually says incantations while casting the spells? The only games I can think of where people say things while casting spells are DnD games.

Neverwinter Nights games do it.

Every JRPG ever.
    ThacoBell said:

Every JRPG ever.
    Ah, true. I was thinking NWN might but I couldn't remember.

Hmm... maybe it is because I haven't played many modern JRPGs. I prefer the 8/16 bit style JRPGs. Final Fantasy VII and X kinda killed it for me (long live IV, VI, and IX!).