Skip to content

Should some encounters be powered up - way, way up?

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
In Baldur's Gate and the other IE games, I've noticed that the thrill and the enjoyment were the greatest early on, at low levels. As characters went up in levels, they acquired enjoyable new abilities and it was pleasant to go toe-to-toe with tough monsters or lay low a bunch of enemies with a fireball, but the danger soon started to evaporate and before long, it was gone completely. At some point around, say, level 6-7 if not before, I knew that no encounter could pose a real difficulty. Baldur's Gate kept throwing supposedly tougher and tougher enemies at me - the Cloackwood assassins, Davaeorn, Sarevok's disciplines in the Iron Throne, later Krystin and Slythe - and it was just a question of how many rounds I'll need to bring them down.

Now, in some degree this happens in tabletop AD&D as well, the earliest levels are the most intense because the characters are so weak. But for a Dungeon Master there are enough ways and means farther along the road that don't have to be about throwing tougher and tougher monsters at the players. The computer games are much more straightforward, and the party's power here grows exponentially. Players also very quickly learn to take advantage of the rules. They know the first spell to cast in any fight is Magic Missile at the enemy casters.

Bioware has given a few NPC instant-kill spells. There are also some mods like Sword Coast Stratagems that ameliorate the ease of killing. But they make encounters more challenging when instead, I argue, some should be impossible (or just about). These mods make players work harder, when instead players should not work at all and go somewhere else. The fundamental problem is this: there is no point to adventuring unless difficulty in spots is such that players will want to AVOID combat, even if there is experience, loot, fame and glory as a reward. They must sigh and go take the long road around to fight someone else or try a diplomatic approach.

Instead we can always just kill 'em. It's not that every player plays in Diablo style, but it skews the world picture that we can barge in a little hut or a big castle, whack the owners (bad people, sure) and grab their stuff (heroes' reward). It doesn't matter if we have to work at this. Hits isn't what adventuring is about at all, for any alignment. Adventuring is about exploration of the world and taking action in it, not scouring it for what it contains - experience, items...

In the first Baldur's Gate game there are some places and encounters that should logically be impossible or next to impossible for the party to solve with force. One such is when they meet the Iron Throne leaders in Candlekeep. They are meetings with the Knights of the Shield. These are all high-level and dangerous characters, and they warn the party to stay away. But as things are, I might as well flip a coin on whether I will kill the Iron Throne leaders on this playthrough or won't kill the Iron Throne leaders on this playthrough.

To restore any sense of balance to the world, should these and other characters be made much, much more powerful - not a little so that the party thinks a bit more before attacking, but A LOT so that nine out of ten attempts to use force, nine of ten reloads are going to end in defeat? Then the party might just have to give up on revenge to Rieltar and Co, leave it to the Dukes, to the Flaming Fist, try to come up with a plan... and then they will discover someone has done those people in. We need not difficulty, but virtual impossibility of do-it-yourself brashness in places for a sense of mystery, for plots to work... and, last but not least, to encourage players to go around and talk to people instead - if they want their experience - so that modders feel called to write more sophisticated quests.

If on a map there is a place A that's "no, I don't want to go there" and place B that's "no, I don't want to go there," then where are you going to go? Between A and B, sneaking, or to some place that won't kill you on the spot, like a village with people. They may have an assignment for you with reasonable goals. Then, later, if you really must, you can rearm and try to take on A and B. The world is diverse, with nooks and corners, and it doesn't exist for your sake. This is the sense that's missing in all of the games after the low levels.

What do you think? Would making some encounters WAY tougher encourage flexibility?
Post edited by chimeric on

Comments

• SunderSunder Member Posts: 56
    Some what could agree, but it's more of an issue of: "I have played this game a lot and know how to beat everything" as well and more so in my opinion. I'm all for more challenges in the game, but the 1st time I tried the Shadow Dragon, Firkraag, Kangaxx, The rogue stone room, and the slaver compound that has Celestial Fury just to name a few early ones.....well, I got my butt kicked & I was higher level than I was when I beat them on successive runs. There is only so much that can be done..........the game wasn't designed to offer new challenges for multiple play throughs..........not sure how ya could change that if SCS doesn't do it (I just installed it & have yet to begin using it, but from what I have read it will certainly up the challenge). It's meta gaming and meta knowledge of the mechanics, abilities, & spells in D&D 2e that will always trump any scripting that can be done in a CRPG (well til more advanced AI that goes off script at any rate).

Besides, one thing I have learned about video games & especially this series : Developers but an obstacle in the path of gamers that is meant to be "nearly" impossible to beat will just mean people determined to figure out a way and then in a short time it will be common knowledge.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    You are right about our knowledge playing into it, but I'm thinking as a modder here, so the question for me is "What can be done with these games and in these game worlds?" For me the problem is that after a couple of levels gameplay gets on the power-gaming train and rides it to the end. I don't like power-gaming, because it cuts off alternatives. Now, when I'm wandering around the Lion's Way Crossroads with Imoen, Xzar and Monty and don't know if I can even take on the ogre with the belt, I'm not going to reload five times if my spells and rolls aren't good enough. I'm going to go around him and come back later. The same with Vampiric and Dread wolves in the Temple area. For some players it's easy XP early on. I think exploiting mechanics to take them out is completely out of character and ruins any subtlety in the game.

My point is: early on, the world is interesting because a lot of things are out of your reach. So there should always be things out of our reach. It's not about "challenge," it's about focus on what you can do as one of the actors instead of an all-powerful Bhaalspawn. If players knew they couldn't or very nearly couldn't fight their way through some spots, then modders could give them different options. Then, even though we know what's going to happen in the main plot, there would still be newness from taking a different road. Thievery. Diplomacy. Subtle magic. But first you've got to put a big roadblock on the old road.

And as for difficulty and how to achieve it, what would you think about an item that gave the creature +3 to the stats, +4 to saving throws and AC, a bonus to speed, damage and an extra attack? Equip that on everyone's in Rieltar's party, and it'll be a whole lot harder to kill them. Still easy? Boost the bonuses.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    I'm playing BG at the moment with SCS/insane.

I have had to avoid fights, I have had my butt kicked over and over until I figure out it's time to leave and come back later, much later.

Just playing the Aec Latec part, the cult is massacreing me, the mages have swords, wands, potions ect., there are invisible assasins (I swear, just where do they get this many invisibility potions?), and plated guards who hit like a truck, it's been a bloody nightmare. And people wandering around so no blanket AOE spells can be used without a lot of care.

But some of the difficulty is my fault, playing with 3 man party and no cleric (no true sight).
    At some point, it does come down to the player if they want to keep the challenge going and players have various ways they can do this. It's not all about how the game is designed.

I understand what you are suggesting, but let's say you avoid a very difficult fight by using diplomacy.
    Well then what happens?
    What "activity" does the player then get to do, what "gameplay" is there?

You mention the Rieltar Party, usually I don't kill them, have a few lines of dialog and walk away. And that's the end of anything I have to do as a player.

So lets say you complicate the "walking away", how is that going to work?
    Being instructed to go around talking to other people, fetch/carry quests, what?

Gameplay wise I would have thought fighting was more satisfying and then, what replay value will there be?
    Fights can take a nasty turn because of dice rolls, can diplomacy?
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Diplomacy can. If you make it into a mini game. Just need skill points and a fun mechanism to use it.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    chimeric said:

What do you think? Would making some encounters WAY tougher encourage flexibility?

I think that influences the player's decision, but only if he's playing no-reload. Otherwise you just reload until you succeed (I once killed the Lich in the Docks from Tactics with a level 11 party without cheesing too much. Took around 40 reloads but it was well worth it... Even if you put the amount of potions and scrolls used there into consideration) or you get bored of trying and continue without doing so. And, you also have to consider the cheese factor. In my latest no-reload run I killed Davaeron off-screen with several Skull Traps, because I know the exact spot in which he stands, and from where I can cast the spell without being seen by him. The same character killed Khark, who is a level 12/12 Fighter/Conjurer, which at that time was like 5/5 levels over me. The winning factor? Human player and a ranged weapon (and magic resistance/saves...).

What I have been seriously considering, is the creation of a mod that moved encounters to different locations randomised with every new game. Like the Item Randomiser, but so that you couldn't use the cheesy tactics you always you, or even find yourself at a disadvantage (which fairly rarely happens).
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    So you want improved anvil for bg1, but then with more dialogue?
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    edited April 2017
    While I share the viewpoint, this
    chimeric said:

If players knew they couldn't or very nearly couldn't fight their way through some spots, then modders could give them different options. Then, even though we know what's going to happen in the main plot, there would still be newness from taking a different road. Thievery. Diplomacy. Subtle magic. But first you've got to put a big roadblock on the old road.

works the other way around, unfortunately. First, there have to be alternative options to combat, and then modders come to incentivize the players to take them by making combat actually difficult. The reason should be obvious, but in case it's not - revamping existing quest design, especially when adding new paths, takes quite more effort than raising combat parameters or even upgrading AI.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    It is a fatal flaw or the game mechanics themselves. Because the distance between a level 5-10 character and a lvl 20 character is humongous, especially when taking better equipment into account, a single lvl 20 char could toast somewhere around 20-50 lvl 5-10 characters - so a team of six lvl 20 chars - with all their synergestic killing powers - could probably defeat around a thousand or so lvl 5-10 chars.

Basically, you become Superman / James Bond.

This can, of course, somewhat be mitigated by stronger and stronger enemies. However, the game have to cater to weaker characters. For instance, a low con single class mage, albeit in a team of six, should be able to beat the game - which makes encounters dull for a high str high blackguard. So the vanilla setting can certainly be percieved to be to easy, especially if the player have a lot of know-how about the game.

Have you installed SCS? And if that doesnt do it for you, have you tried to beat the game without companions? If that still does not do it for you, well, deliberately pick a shitty class.
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Making some battles harder would actually be a detriment to flexibility, I think. Because the new dangerous zone is now something I will just never, ever touch. Maybe some of this has to do with playing no-reload, but there's ALREADY places in BG1 that I don't dare attempt: Werewolf island, Durlag's Tower, Khark under SCS (seriously. The thing has a perma-Haste spell, level 11+ mage casting, an AC such that a Ranger that had favored enemy Ogre and a Skald beside him was missing on rolls of 18... Absolutely freaking terrifying.) So yeah, those areas and battles are so dangerous for me that I won't even consider doing them, thus lowering the flexibility of where I go next.

As for actual impossibility to force narrative choices: the IE engine is at its core a combat engine, and the risk comes from combat (and Wild surges, but that's neither here nor there.) So if there's an impossibility that forces you to talk to certain people to resolve it, guess what? You get a sense of mystery one time before it's a simple "oh, talk to this person and then this person in order to solve the quest, no risk involved." If there's a choice to make a hard fight easier, sure, like being able to bribe Baron Ployer's pet wizards away, but that's simply a choice: fighting the 3 wizards is doable as well.

The sweet spot, I think, is where fights are overcomeable but still innately dangerous. SCS does a pretty darn good job of this: I've lost games to Davaeorn and his horde of minions, I've lost to Slythe's horrificly powerful backstabs, I've lost at the Ducal palace, I've probably lost to being cocky against Ghasts before. Somehow, probably because I actually use all my unrenewable resources, I can't recall the last time I died to Sarevok himself.
    edited April 2017
    It is an art to not make the mistake to make some encounters only possible when you have class X or kit Y in your party. That really is detrimental to game play. Just think about kangaxx and how you need to either cheese him or metagame him in a vanilla game.
    Game play needs to be open and balanced even if some encounters are tough.

I don't think that vanilla could do that will without investing too much resources on it.
    Had I put the thesis in the affirmative, I could have stated my position that encounters should be powered up, even though it's not a strong conviction. But I asked a question, so it's natural that there are going to be different answers. For me AD&D, even in its computer form, is a role-playing game, not an action game. Fighting is nice, it's an important part, but it's only a part. In the Player's Handbook and the Dungeon Master's Guide there are whole chapters devoted to equipment costs, proficiencies, attracting followers, languages, mounts and all those other things no one has really even tried to recreate on the computer. We don't know that would always be impossible or boring. Diplomacy should be an option, and there should be consequences for failing at it, and there can be plenty of options for thievery, and so on, and so forth. But do we have this variety? No. Is it technically impossible? Hardly, the logic of the gameplay is just very basic and resistant to change.

One item from another series of games made about the same time as BG that comes to mind here is explosives from Fallout and Fallout 2. In addition to being necessary for a couple of quests, they could be timed and then planted on someone to blow him to bits without alarming the entire town. Why am I mentioning this? Because it's an example of a different approach. But who would care to look for a different approach if you could just stroll through Vault City or the Enclave, toting a gun? That's damn difficult, if not impossible, and it would leave a depopulated world you'd have nothing left to do in.

In the BG series, unfortunately, violence is almost always an answer. Some people have thought it's an easy answer, hence mods like SCS that make players work harder for their kills. But that's not the point for me. For me that's pointless. I've played these games up and down (some parts more than others), and it was decades ago. I have better things to do than outsmart an improved AI, reload or not reload, build tactics and jerk around. I want fantasy - imagination - magic. But power-gaming that's become habitual squashes any ideas along those lines.

Example: I'm making a couple of spells for swapping alignment, a better Know Alignment and maybe a more proper Detect Evil for paladins so they actually detect real supernatural evil instead of any little guy who happens to be in the bottom range of the moral choices. That way they could go around and look for evil influences. If this became a mechanic, then modders could make quests and situations to introduce those evil influences. And alignment detection and changes would be valuable if, for example, there were more alignment-specific items and spells (or dialogues).

But is anyone going to bother with that? Nah. Because you can always just slay your way through, get more kills, get more loot... I wonder if that's what people would do in real life if they could just annihilate everyone? Is that people's idea of fun? Not mine, I'd be bored out of my skull.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    lroumen said:

It is an art to not make the mistake to make some encounters only possible when you have class X or kit Y in your party. That really is detrimental to game play. Just think about kangaxx and how you need to either cheese him or metagame him in a vanilla game.
    Game play needs to be open and balanced even if some encounters are tough.

I don't think that vanilla could do that will without investing too much resources on it.

You can kill Kangaax without doing any of that though.
    It's frustrating and hard, but you can. Maybe not at low level granted, but then that's kind of the point.

I know this because for years I didn't even think to look up forums ect. and just muddled through. Didn't know about spell immunity abjuration, wasn't even aware why certain weapons didn't hurt, (just thought the game was cheating), lol.
    The only thing I knew was that he killed the party pretty much with wail of the banshee, so until that was done kept everybody well away, and then he would imprison NPC/summons and so you had to have a few freedom scrolls handy.

So it was an expensive, long fight that I kind of dreaded but a great sense of achievement if you managed.

True, I also figured out by myself that he imprisons the closest foe first so that gave me some breathing room to kill him, but that's just it. it takes a while to figure out a souped up one trick pony that a game would be off putting if this kind of encounter occurs too often. Mods sure, but if it happens in vanilla you may well lose player base.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    There are actually multiple ways to take down SCS Ust Natha in Legacy of Bhaal mode. In my case, I relied heavily on Wand of Lightning (nerfed by Item Revisions) Wish-rests to spam HLAs while my front line stacked damage resistances (buffed by Item Revisions) to hold off the drow horde. I also used a bug that let me summon multiple celestials (Project Image can also let you do this) to compensate for the fact that I only had 5 party members and none of them had any fighter levels. It also involved very careful control of the battlefield to restrict and channel enemy pressure.

I still need to post a more in-depth analysis of the fight--and to be fair, I don't know how best to tackle it in normal mode, without LoB. But Improved Ust Natha would be exactly what @chimeric is looking for: an encounter that is best avoided because it is as difficult as it realistically should be.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    You've mentioned the option to avoid combat and solve conflicts through dialogue or quests, and I personally like that but I think that it takes very good writing skills to make it worth it . I mean, it is easy to write a how about-you-do-quest-get a reward-avoid-combat dialogue, but I would rather expect a real overhaul on dialogue options and include some class specific options, attribute , skills and lore checks , and party interjections. I believe that it would make dialogue options more interesting than combat in some cases.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    DrakeICN said:

It is a fatal flaw or the game mechanics themselves. Because the distance between a level 5-10 character and a lvl 20 character is humongous, especially when taking better equipment into account, a single lvl 20 char could toast somewhere around 20-50 lvl 5-10 characters - so a team of six lvl 20 chars - with all their synergestic killing powers - could probably defeat around a thousand or so lvl 5-10 chars.

It's possible for characters to be high level and still be balanced. Remember Silke? She's a level 10 character who you could fight when your characters are only level 1 or 2. Yet she's still a fair fight at those levels.
    edited April 2017
    Well, of course, @DJKajuru . It's really more about the amount of work all of this nuance takes, though, than writing style. The effort grows exponentially: for every option you also want at least a couple of sub-options, and soon enough bug-testing becomes a separate article. And modders don't work in teams, hardly ever, unfortunately, even though some people are obviously better at writing, others at technical stuff.

As for style, we don't want awful writing, of course, but it can just be straightforward - for the BG series, at least. Get to the point, put some humor in, don't make it very onerous... try to make it informative, though. When I write NPC interjections, I always try to put in new information about them. I make it up, of course, and so the characters round out. In one dialogue of mine a halfling NPC recognizes Montaron from Darkhold, for example. Shar-Teel recollects how she's hanged for an hour under a bridge on her fingers and toes while the Flaming Fist looked for her. And so on. People need to learn something, always, not hear once again that Kagain is greedy, Edwin is arrogant and so on. He may be arrogant but why? Maybe he has a reason to be so snooty. Maybe he's spent hard years practicing under the Zulkirs and now won't put up with incompetence. Maybe Baeloth is not just a sadist but actually an artist. But this sort of thing needs to be invented - for romances, too. We need to put stuff in the game that was never there in the first place or freaking quit playing the record...

So - new, to the point and light, and that'll be satisfying like a good meal with some fun side dishes. You eat it and move on. I used to much prefer high cuisine in Torment's days, with tops and sauces, but now that the second one has come out, it's clear that it was never that high to begin with. Elaborate cooking is just the chef's cream over one's ego.

But Improved Ust Natha would be exactly what @chimeric is looking for: an encounter that is best avoided because it is as difficult as it realistically should be.

Well... What's realistic? Is it unrealistic that a party of six seasoned characters who've gone through so many dungeons and are excellently equipped should be able to take down, say, archmage Shandalar? A roll of 20 always succeeds, as we know. So I think we need to go beyond realism here - the party should not be able to fight through many situations, even when by the rules, in principle, should be able to. This is as artificial as Tethtoril's instant-kill lightning, but it makes power gamers less like Power Rangers. Makes them ask "what else can we do here?" Power without freedom is like a sugar rush - it goes to your head and screws with it.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    edited April 2017
    Just keep things optional. A rather difficult encounter in Rogue Rebalancing - where opponents exploit spells like Mislead which I rarely use- can also be solved through dialogue. Indeed I would argue that there is just as much appetite for difficult dialogue based challenges- e.g. The Longer Road- as there is for combat challenges, although they may appeal to different sorts of players (and modders to design them).