Skip to content

In defense of only one (more or less) fixed origin story for the main character.

ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
Time and time again have I heard people mention how happy they are that the Dragon Age: Origins and Pillars of Eternities of the RPG world feature the option to choose from a selection of background stories for your main character.

Honestly, I am not a fan of this concept.

For some reason, I managed to replay the entire BG series more than a dozen times by now, with fundamentally different Player Characters. With DA:O and PoE I managed only one single full playthrough with each so far. Not for lack of trying, mind you.

Of course, the reasons for that are not wholy to blame on the origin stories, but I think they make for the main portion.
Let me elaborate.

In BG (and also Planescape: Torment, for that matter), you have one fixed origin story.
You are an orphaned child of a dead god raised by an old wizard and harper by the name of Gorion in a huge-ass library and castle south of the town of Baldur's Gate. You grew up secluded from the outside world, unknowing of your own heritage. Safe for some minor details (i.e. small-child-you stealing Khelben Blackstaff's cloak once) the rest is left up to the player's imagination and choice.

Imo, this is an ingenius set-up.
Since your character didn't choose that life of their own, pretty much any personality/race/gender/etc. (safe for age) can be written onto them without breaking/ changing the game/plot. Yet still, the entire game calls back to this origin on a multitude of occassions. You are Gorion's ward but you get to choose who Gorion's ward is.

In comparision, safe for some rather arbitrary dialogue options in PoE, the origin of your choice makes pretty much no difference. You are just A Dude™ who just happened to be there (which is also one of the things that always ruined the roleplaying bits of the Elder Scrolls games for me). Beyond anything that happens during the actual game, the Watcher has no notable agency, safe for what happens within the player's imagination. But honestly, the game didn't manage to stimulate my imagination in that direction. I was always just A Dude™, trying to find the plot.
Even worse, PoE does this twice, by letting you choose the background story of the Watcher's past life through some dialogue options which honestly felt like they made zero difference (wether or not they make an actual difference is irrelevant, what's important is that I as a player feel like it made one).

Then you have DA:O trying a different approach with the name giving origin stories. Depending on how fast you play, the first hour or so of the game will be fundamentally different from the rest of the game, depending on which race/class combination you choose during character creation. You can be a dwarven princess who gets caught up in some War of the Roses style political coup, a lower class elven townsman who's arranged marriage goes horribly wrong, a locked up mage who ... you get the idea.
These origin stories are awesome. But they imo don't make that much difference in the rest of the game, safe for some very specific quests (i.e. if you are a dwarven noble the return to Orzammar is gonna be different). This is of course hardly the fault of the origin stories themselves, but rather of the considerably way more linear story progression when compared to a BG2, for example. The main problem here is, that it's "quantity over quality", to a gegree (also the engine, there is this whole thing going on with more cinematic-y 3D games taking away a lot of the imagination, but I digress).

Don't get me wrong, the quality of the origin stories is great. But there are too many to make the impact on the main story that they imo deserve. DA:I made a step in the right direction imo, giving race and class of the Inquisitor more perceived weight in the story (I said perceived weight. Again, wether or not it's actually more weighty in the story is irrelevant and I honestly can't tell) but that game has a whole lot of other problems, so lets move on.

Now, there is also DA2. DA2 has one fixed origin story, pretty much the opposite of what the other DAs do, but that one goes too far and is too restrictive. The problem here is, that Hawke as a character is too pre-defined in personality. The wiggle room isn't big enough and you can only play Hawke as three different archetypes, which immensely hurts the replay value, but BioWare learned their lesson (I think) so moving on.

A thing that is super important to me in RPGs is that I have to feel like the character I choose to play makes a difference in the story of the game. So when I have to choose between one more or less fixed origin story and complete freedom to choose my own background that has zero impact on the game, I will always pick the former, because it idially means a more tightly written narrative, as evident in BG (specifically BG2) and PS:T (though I wish PS:T would at least had let me choose the sex of the Nameless One, otherwise I think the set up of the story is a stroke of genius).

Freedom doesn't mean it's a better RPG. Good, tight writing does.
A computer game doesn't feature the luxury of letting the DM tailor the narrative to the needs of the players (yet!),
so some of that freedom has to be sacrificed for the sake of story telling.

I believe the key is to a good origin story in an RPG is to find the golden middle way between freedom, restriction and impact on the main narrative. Leaning too far into one direction is hurtful for the game.

Comments

• AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Putting aside the ragging on DA2, there is only one game that did an origin story that I ever really cared about:

KOTOR II.

KOTOR II had the deceptively simple yet utterly brilliant idea of defining a LOT of your character's backstory, including some quite specific events, but then let you explain and defend (or not defend) why your character did these things, and what they think about those events and their aftermath now. It allowed you to define a character and their viewpoints and history deeply, while still tying them into the overall plot.

It was so brilliant, and I don't know why nothing else has ever really copied it. PS:T could I guess be considered a similar predecessor, but it is its own thing, a bit too spoilery to really discuss in detail.

Personally, I don't really care for BG's origin story because I feel no connection to any of it. Your character's defined personality in Candlekeep is actually quite jarring if you're not playing good-aligned (Imoen makes no sense, many of your responses to people in Candlekeep make no sense, even Gorion makes no sense), or even just playing someone who isn't within a fairly narrow personality band. That's part of the reason Imoen's never grabbed me as a character (that and she basically isn't a character past her opening lines), obviously other people's mileage may vary. It's too specific to really make mine, yet too vague to be really interesting. Also the timeline makes absolutely no sense if charname is, for instance, an elf.

DA:O's opening turned me off the entire game, but that's because I played City Elf and Bioware's use of rape-for-cheap-pathos was really, really not my cup of tea. And then neither was Duncan. I don't think the very idea of multiple origins stories is necessarily flawed, though I think you're correct in that a lot is taken away from them when they're all but irrelevant to the story proper (they did sometimes come up in DA:O, of course, some more than others).
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    DJKajuru said:

BG may have a fixed origin story (born in candlekeep, raised by gorion) but it seems to balance tactics, story and character freedom, while there are many rpgs who don't and you end up being just "a guy".

Honestly, this is why I think that the BG series is the best RPG in any popular meaning of the word.
    You have a great narrative/ story, challenging & tactical gameplay with statistical character progression (though I wanna personally slap anyone who thinks that this is what defines an RPG) and most importantly you have actual, literal roleplay. And the best part is, if you don't want one of these, you can easily avert/ignore them via the game options or handy cheats.

Sure, there are other games who may do specific aspects better, but BG manages to keep this apparently very hard to achieve balance. Lesser games would fall into the "neither fish nor meat" or "master of none" category but somehow BG doesn't.

Also, I will never stop pointing out how ingenius the narrative setup to motivate a vast amout of differing player characters to follow the plot in the BG series. I loathe games that don't give my character an actual reason to pursue the plot that goes beyond "because it's a videogame, you are supossed to do this". Forcing the player character to act is such a simple tool, yet it is rarely utilised (with the exception of the prophecy, of course, a trope ToB is sadly reduced to).
    @Nuin
    PoE: Except for the part where the game let's you choose a character background in the beginning. What is the point of giving you that choice if it (seemingly) doesn't matter? While playing I was expecting some throwbacks, but there was nothing.

DA:O: Oh, I am aware that there are some drastic differences. But for a game which markets itself on the different origin stories, dedicates it's entire prologue to it and literally has the word "origins" in the title it really doesn't utilise the different origin stories enough imo. Also, since you bring up race and class specific dialogue options, these are seperate from the origin story.
    When I tried to replay the game (first I was a human circle mage, then a dwarven noble), after the origin story the game felt exactly the same again. It felt like it made no notable difference aside from NPCs adressing me differently, which made it jarring and eventually lead me to drop the game again. That is bad. As a developer you usually want the player to keep playing.
    Also, again, because the way DA:O presents itself it leaves little up to the player's imagination, which is also restrictive in it's own way. People crave isometric style RPGs with limited visuals for more reasons than just purism and nostalgia. It's because these games give just the right amount of visual cues, if done well.

What BG does is giving the player a basic outline.
    Enough to make it matter and not too much to make it restrictive.
    The more or less frequent call backs make everything feel more organic.

Also, if people don't care about that stuff that is fine for them, but every well written character needs a background that shaped their personality. Wether or not that background is actually explored in the narrative is a different story (yay, puns). The origins of a character is what shape their motivations and personality and giving the player a starting point beyond "you are a dude and you are here for no apparent reason" is a super effective way to get them into character. And getting into character is a very important aspect of a role playing game.

This is why PS:T has such a jarringly slow start (or at least part to the reason, there might be more to it).
    Like, yeah, once you you managed to get your head into the game, it's amazing. But actually getting there is kinda hard imo. Especially because the setting is so alien.

I can't speak for Mass Effect and Knights of the old Repulic, since I haven't (really) played those.
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited April 2017
    It's not like we aren't trying. DA:O was supposed to herald the new generation of strategy RPG games, which is why the backlash after DA:2 was released was so staggering and had very little to do with the quality of DA:2 (which was actually a decent aciton game).
    The story of DA:O to DA:2 will forever remain one of the greatest tragedies in strategy RPG history.

PoE is kind of like the new BG, and if you remember the old, original BG it was kind of meh (you have to remember that it was competing against the likes of Final Fantasy 7/8 and Tales of Phantasia). What got everybody excited about it was that it was definitely a step in the right direction - it was the stepping stone for PST and BG2.
    PST is really more of a once-every-few-decades happy accident of originality/story and gameplay mechanics, and you don't really go out of your way trying to make those as just move toward that general direction and hope you get lucky.

The Obsidian devs are still trying to rediscover that special formula that made the old infinity engine games great. I suppose it's kind of disheartening to know that we actually lost that formula in the first place, but at least we're working on it again.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

Imo, this is an ingenius set-up.
    Since your character didn't choose that life of their own, pretty much any personality/race/gender/etc. (safe for age) can be written onto them without breaking/ changing the game/plot.

As long as you are not a Dwarf/Gnome or Elf, who mature at the age of 40 and 110(!), respectively, and limit your class to Paladin, Sorcerer, Fighter, Mage, Thief(pushing it) or Cleric(really pushing it) or any combination of these, because others cannot be really written into the backstory without much sillyness. "My CHARNAME is a Druid, because there are no trees in Candlekeep walls!" yeah, probably not.
    Being in the middle of the coast and not that close to any town, you might have had the opportunity to connect with wilderness ...
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    DJKajuru said:

Being in the middle of the coast and not that close to any town, you might have had the opportunity to connect with wilderness ...

Thing about the whole Candlekeep origin however is that CHARNAME never left its save walls even once: that's roughly twenty years of hikikomori NEET experience for humans alone (and would be so much longer for demihumans). And once outside, the guard won't let you inside. Not without extorting some valuable book from Gorion's Ward in any case. All things considered the only contact with nature he/she may had is working on tiny fields and feeding cows. For what's worth, the only druidic character in such an environment which makes any sense is the Village Druid kit within The Complete Druid's Handbook.

Personally, I am of the strong opinion that the Baldur's Gate saga would have vastly *profited* from several origin stories. Or at least one with sublime variable changes for each race, class and alignment. The Temple of Elemental Evil for example did just that in puncto alignments: an good aligned party starts by saving an caravan. An evil one on the other hand are the ones attacking the very same. Such dynamic approaches feels very refreshing indeed when rolling new characters.

I can also think of ways of doing things like that for the Candlekeep origin. For example:
    • Instead of Gorion picking up an newborn elf, it would make much more sense if it were a young elf child of delicate 50 years. Which should roughly translate to an 8-10 year old human child.
    • Since half-orcs become adults at the age of 13, it doesn't make much sense for Gorion to wait until his Ward reaches 20. This is already 'middle aged' territory for those of orcish heritage. :V
    • For the more primal classes like barbarians and rangers, it wouldn't be strange for getting exiled from Candlekeep. Instead they could still be on the starting map in some near forest cottage. That way they'd have a chance to actually train their profession and Gorion's protection would still be available.
    But then again, this is purely my opinion.
    Y'all seem to forget that Charname only lived in Candlekeep for roughly ten years (there is a plot hole with the timeline, Alianna died after Bhaal) and some of the dialougues in-game state that they did get to leave the castle, sometimes to travel with Gorion for example.

Also, the different player races all roughly age at the same speed, the difference is that the different racially dominated societies treat the official "coming-of-age" is at a different age. You know, like in the different human societies in the real world.

Also, the different player races all roughly age at the same speed, the difference is that the different racially dominated societies treat the official "coming-of-age" is at a different age. You know, like in the different human societies in the real world.

No, just no. In AD&D, each and every race ages both physically and mentally differently from humans. This is even true for halfbreeds like half-elves. Also, the youngest playable age for pureblooded demihumans is 25 (which equals to 15 human years at the latest).
    The funny thing about AD&D is also that the minimum age also differs from class to class even for members of the same race. This alone would burst the Candlekeep origin's timeline quite a bit.

D&D is terrible at timelines, according to that list Drizzt was just a teenager when he left Menzoberranzan at the age of 30, where he is clearly depicted as a fully matured adult (in the comics, at least). In a lot of depictions he is portrayed as an old man when he meets Cattie-Brie, even though at that time he is only around 50ish years old.

This table means little, especially the way the game handles the over all canon in which Red Wizards grow hair and Rashemi berserkers shave and have tattooed scalps. Even more ludicrous due to the fact that Charname is meant to be like 21ish years old in SoA, meaning that depending on the race the love interest would all be breaking some drastic age of consent "laws" (and people think the Jaheira romance is already 'problematic'.)
    It is pretty clear to me that the game just assumes that Charname is either at least 20 years old (meaning they could easily be older) or that all races reach physical maturity at about the same speed. Canon is just a suggestion in this game.

Either way, the timeline doesn't add up no matter what race or class you play, so screw it all together.
    There is no way to work around it without applying headcanons, which imo is a small problem, given how much the game stimulates the player's imagination already.

Alas, some players just lack said imagination, but I find it hard to believe that they are even remotely in the majority, given the nature of the game.
    Pretty much. Thus my opinion that the franchise would have been both more well thought out, as well as more fun, if it had been written with dynamic origins from the start.
    Basically what I want is more games that take the BG approach to origins minus the plot holes.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @Nuin

I don't think BG was seen as "meh".

I moved house in 1999, my sister gave me an old computer later that year. We only had consoles at the time, my children always bought the magazines for them.
    BG kept on getting mentioned, kept on topping polls.
    I've never played D&D and it was only through the recommendations in magazines (various) that made me go out and buy it.

It was a really big deal to go and buy my "first computer game" so I wanted a good one, so read reviews a lot.
    Ended up getting the best. :)

• NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited April 2017
    Compared to JRPGs at their full momentum? Against the likes of action-adventure/horror games like Silent Hill, Resident Evil, and Tomb Raider? Against the pioneer games of Blizzard (Diablo, Warcraft 2:Tides of Darkness and Starcraft)? Against games like the Heroes of Might and Magic series and back when RTS games like Command and Conquer games were all the rage?
    That was how my friends would reply when I tried to get them into playing the original BG.

I remember game genres didn't matter so much as just actual games at the time (in the sense of getting a new game) simply because your options were much more limited, unlike these days where you can just pick a genre. It was a very different time for video games.
    Anyway the original BG was a good game, but it was also competing against giants to truly stand out. It already had a devoted community even then though, including most of the fans of the older Fallout series. At the time the western RPG genre was also struggling badly.

It took PS:T/BG2 to really jumpstart the western RPG revival/renaissance of the late 90s/early 2000s. It was then that these types of games started pulling people away from even games like the original Diablo 2. Not like you couldn't play both, but after I got them to start playing BG2 many of my friends definitely played more BG2 than D2.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    BG was a big deal and it earned that. It was amazing for its time. It has not aged well though. Luckily we have the EEs.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I like IWD, but it was that lack of character background development that always felt a little off. I know it was partly due to being used to playing BG so many times before I did, but still. Well that and not having NPC's with a background I did not have to make myself. When I do get back to IWD I'll give the NPC mod a go.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @Kamigoroshi - That's 1st edition AD&D's tables. 2nd Edition changed up the starting age tables significantly, and got rid of the class-based starting ages.

From Table 11 of the 2nd Edition PHB,
    Race: Base Age + Variable
    Dwarf: 40+5d6
    Elf: 100+5d6
    Gnome: 60+3d12
    Half-elf: 15+1d6
    Halfling: 20+3d4
    Human: 15+1d4

The canonical BG timeline works for a human, half-elf, or halfling CHARNAME, but it doesn't work for a 2E dwarf, elf or gnome CHARNAME. An elf CHARNAME should still be a child when Gorion dies of old age.

Personally, I'm glad they ignored this inconsistency. The default solution probably would have been to lock CHARNAME into being a human.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938

DJKajuru said:

Thing about the whole Candlekeep origin however is that CHARNAME never left its save walls even once: that's roughly twenty years of hikikomori NEET experience for humans alone (and would be so much longer for demihumans). And once outside, the guard won't let you inside. Not without extorting some valuable book from Gorion's Ward in any case. All things considered the only contact with nature he/she may had is working on tiny fields and feeding cows. For what's worth, the only druidic character in such an environment which makes any sense is the Village Druid kit within The Complete Druid's Handbook.

Personally, I am of the strong opinion that the Baldur's Gate saga would have vastly *profited* from several origin stories. Or at least one with sublime variable changes for each race, class and alignment. The Temple of Elemental Evil for example did just that in puncto alignments: an good aligned party starts by saving an caravan. An evil one on the other hand are the ones attacking the very same. Such dynamic approaches feels very refreshing indeed when rolling new characters.

I can also think of ways of doing things like that for the Candlekeep origin. For example:
    • Instead of Gorion picking up an newborn elf, it would make much more sense if it were a young elf child of delicate 50 years. Which should roughly translate to an 8-10 year old human child.
    • Since half-orcs become adults at the age of 13, it doesn't make much sense for Gorion to wait until his Ward reaches 20. This is already 'middle aged' territory for those of orcish heritage. :V
    • For the more primal classes like barbarians and rangers, it wouldn't be strange for getting exiled from Candlekeep. Instead they could still be on the starting map in some near forest cottage. That way they'd have a chance to actually train their profession and Gorion's protection would still be available.
    But then again, this is purely my opinion.
    Hmm. Yep, he age does throw a wrench into the works, that was something I always had in mind for the varying races being worked into the BG start.
    I liked how 1st ed did things with race and class but for a 'set' background,(which I do like) I suppose it WAS done to make things a little more simple. Although, I imagine this age could have been taken into acct. with each and every race/class, but it would have been a little tougher. Maybe Gorion would have had to take CHARNAME into CK a set number of years ago, BUT having them each at their different race/class ages.
    Just thinking aloud so to speak.

I like your suggestions here. Especially with alignments. I mean you know at least one of those guys in CK had know alignment at hand.

That said, the way it was done was probably the easiest as @AstroBryGuy mentioned. Maybe not the best, esp for those of us that put alot of stock in those race/age/class tables(at least in my PnP days), but hey, it works, and is a darn fine background regardless.
    Always reminds me of the possibilities that exist in PnP compared to computer gaming.
    Anyway, I work it all into my own CHARNAME's backgrounds as best I can.

Still, it would be an interesting and MAJOR new mod (if even possible).
  • WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183
    edited April 2017

It is pretty clear to me that the game just assumes that Charname is either at least 20 years old (meaning they could easily be older) or that all races reach physical maturity at about the same speed.

The Prologue narration rather unambiguously states that "You've spent most of your twenty years of life under tutelage of the sage Gorion". Hard to fit in some Gorion-found-a-50-year-old-elf-orphan backstory there.

Of course, you can always head-canon it yourself. Maybe the Bhaalspawn just mature quicker. I also always found it weird how almost everyone in Candlekeep refers to you as "child" or "kid". Even considering almost everyone in Candlekeep is an old fart, that is an unusual way to address a 20-year-old.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I wasn't very old at the time and not particularly into the scene, so I couldn't really say if BG was a big hit or no (I did play it at the time as my older brother borrowed it from a friend, but I was too frightened by it to even leave Candlekeep - I spent all my time playing it playing pretend in puffgut's inn), but I can say that BG2 hit hard enough to break through even to children like me. To me this difference in profitability and it's effevts can definitely be seen in Bioware's later games as well (and thus the ones who imitated them) - I think that if it had been BG that was the great hit instead of BG2 then the main direction of RPGs would be been different.

I really don't think PS:T had any effect on anything, though. Sure, it became a classic among RPG fans, but if I remember correctly it barely flipped at the time. It also has much more in common with the late 90's games like Fallout (not surprising given that they were produced by the same company) than with the wave of 00's style Biowarian RPGs that birthed from BG2's success.
    edited April 2017
    Since you are all ignoring this part I have already pointed out twice in this thread:

THE TIMELINE DOESN'T ADD UP. CHARNAME ONLY LIVED A MAXIMUM OF TEN YEARS IN CANDLEKEEP, NOT TWENTY. THERE IS NO WAY GORION TOOK THEM IN AS A BABY.

The timeline is broken. It doesn't make sense.
    Bhaal died in 1358DR. Charname's mother died after him, presumably in the same year. BG starts in 1368DR.
    That is ten years, not twenty. TEN. The opening narration is WRONG.

Is that really this hard to understand, Jesus Christ.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Yeah, the timeline has always been a bit off in that regard. Even Sarevok appears as a ~8-12 in Throne of Bhaal during one of the conversations where he fled from the same place as charname when Gorion and his harper group attacked—saying that Gorion could only take one. (Which also begs the question as to where Imoen actually came from)

It's definitely not difficult to assume charname was also around a similar age rather than being a newborn baby, and that being a newborn (couple months old) baby would put their age at being ~10. Which is obviously not the case. If we assume the opening narration is correct and charname is ~20 years old, that does, indeed, leave around 10 years unaccounted for.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I prefer to have as little back story dictated to me as possible. In my opinion, BG is quite restrictive in this regard. On the other hand, I don't mind The Witcher because there the protagonist is given.
    There seem to be three major possibilities here for players to choose from for their personal head canons:
    1. The Narrator was indeed right, I'll go with the flow
    2. The background timeline of the saga was the mostly correct one
    3. Both are completely wrong, I'll think up something entirely different

But either way you roll it:

• WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183

Since you are all ignoring this part I have already pointed out twice in this thread:

THE TIMELINE DOESN'T ADD UP. CHARNAME ONLY LIVED A MAXIMUM OF TEN YEARS IN CANDLEKEEP, NOT TWENTY. THERE IS NO WAY GORION TOOK THEM IN AS A BABY.

The timeline is broken. It doesn't make sense.
    Bhaal died in 1358DR. Charname's mother died after him, presumably in the same year. BG starts in 1368DR.
    That is ten years, not twenty. TEN. The opening narration is WRONG.
    Chill. Here's what Forgotten Realms Wiki has to say about Bhaalspawn:

"It is said that Bhaal foresaw his death during the Time of Troubles and came to Toril before the climactic event, mating with females of almost any species, not all of them humanoid."

So nothing is being really contradicted here. CHARNAME was simply sired ten years before Time of Troubles even happened.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    @WatchForWolves Don't tell me to chill when you hijack & derail my thread and completely ignore what I keep saying.

The Prologue narration rather unambiguously states that "You've spent most of your twenty years of life under tutelage of the sage Gorion". Hard to fit in some Gorion-found-a-50-year-old-elf-orphan backstory there.

This is exactly the part I pointed out being wrong.
    You (among others) ignored it.
    Don't act like I am at fault here.

Thanks a bunch for ruining my thread. Bye.